Actually the PKB & SD slot are what got me interested in this phone. At $200 to $300 subsidized, it would definitely be an alternative for me. I run a Note 3, my previous phones were DROID 1 & DROID 4. PKB, Expandable storage, Android with BlackBerry quality build? It was a no brainer.

Then I watched BB screw up the marketing and their CEO fumble with a product he obviously knew nothing about. It's pretty clear to me that BB doesn't understand Android or its user base.

Android is an evolving ecosystem that requires steady support from the manufacturer. Based on the ineptitude I've seen so far, I don't think BB has the ability or capacity to provide this kind of support. (Ex: Note 3 has had 4 OS revisions and 1 exploit update in 22 months )

I wouldn't expect 6.0 on Venice within the first 6 months of release. That's a problem. Venice went from an ASAP buy to a wait and see how it's recieved / supported thing for me.
    And what is your current BBRY device?
    09-29-15 06:43 PM
    I don't have one. I've always admired the build on Blackberry devices, but the OS isn't what I was looking for. It's a great OS, but didn't match my needs. I was really looking forward to buying this phone. It seemed like a marriage between a preferred builder and OS. It's what led me to this nice community here as well.

I've just been incredibly disappointed in how BB has handled it, then I see how slow updates are with BB10 ( of course BB OS probably doesn't change as much as Android. It seems pretty refined and stable.) & I wonder how slow Android updates will be.
    09-29-15 07:06 PM
    I would prefer Marshallow 6 to be loaded on Priv but don't compromise with keypad, Hub and email system of BB.

Z30 10.3.2.2639 thru CB10
    09-29-15 07:09 PM
    Sure, people will drop a $200 premium on a PKB and a microSD slot. Keep telling yourself that.
    What?? Where did I say that?
    BTW, show me where you got the MSRP of the Priv, because here on the forum everybody want to know, but you seem to know it before hand....
    How much?
    09-29-15 08:17 PM
    The general consensus from everyone, including you, has been that the off-contract price will be around $700, if not more. That means a $200 premium for the Priv vs the 6P.
    09-29-15 08:19 PM
    HTC is revealing their first Marshmallow device on Oct 20th don't know the ship date. Existing newer HTC devices will start getting the update in December.
    https://twitter.com/htc/status/648908932690276352

Android 6 "Marshmallow" on the Slider?-img_20150930_105305.png

Attachment 373745
    09-29-15 08:54 PM
    No, I want Android 7.0 "Bacon double cheeseburger" on my Priv.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10.
    MO3iusONE and astrodan13 like this.
    09-29-15 09:28 PM
    so what I said and linked?
    09-29-15 09:28 PM
    so what I said and linked?
    Sincere apologies for having overlooked the link in your post.
    09-29-15 09:57 PM
    It's pretty clear to me that BB doesn't understand Android or its user base.
    Substitute BlackBerry for Android and you'd understand the situation much better.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Xaiux like this.
    09-29-15 10:15 PM
    The lack of microSD slot wasn't a surprise to me. Most of the top-tier manufacturers have discontinued having them in favour of pushing cloud services. Of course, on Android you have many more options regarding OTA file access, which makes it less of an issue than for iPhone. And with the USB-C port I'm reasonably certain a microSD adapter will be forthcoming very quickly, so the lack of dedicated microSD slot is really a non-issue, considering that that way one doesn't have to remove the phone's back cover and risk dislodging the battery.

In all, with the free Google Music trial and $50 credit, coupled with the specs and price, it's a home-run for Google. Apparently, they listened to their users after the original Nexus 6 debacle.
    with blackberry passport you can use the charger port as a external memory port as it uses o t g support .....ive got a 64mb exetenal memory stick on my keys very very same and very handy
    09-30-15 01:38 AM
    with blackberry passport you can use the charger port as a external memory port as it uses o t g support .....ive got a 64mb exetenal memory stick on my keys very very same and very handy
    You can do this with Android as well. I think I saw a video of someone connecting a floppy drive to a phone lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-30-15 02:00 AM
    I really hope the reason this phone is taking so long to launch is because they want to launch it with android M.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 02:24 AM
    First, Google is not going to field support calls for BBRY when they aren't being paid to do so. Samsung owners don't call Google for support regarding issues for their Galaxy phones. Second, this is not vanilla Android. It's using a custom kernel, and we have no idea how integrated the BBRY apps and services are into the OS. In the best case scenario, they'll have to wait for Grsecurity to evaluate the kernel's function with Marshmallow and issue patches at need.

I will note that, in researching this post, I noticed something on Grsecurity's site that causes me some concern:

Due to continued violations by several companies in the embedded industry of grsecurity�'s trademark and registered copyrights, effective September 9th 2015 stable patches of grsecurity are being made available to sponsors and commercial support customers only. For more information, read the full announcement.

I hope, for BBRY's sake, that this doesn't refer to them. I know that, so far as Grsecurity's most updated sponsor list is concerned, BBRY is not a sponsor. Hopefully, they are a commercial customer.
    What if this was the other way: Grsecurity the "hidden" licensing deal we've heard about last Q?
    This language perfectly fits with Chen's mood about IP and the way they'll handle it in the future : no hassle on previous users but get paid where it is legit and dry the illegitimate usage. (I'm still tracking who is this mysterious partner so I mark all options possible - this one of many (unknown) only)
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-30-15 at 03:14 AM. Reason: (typo GrSecurity)
    09-30-15 02:52 AM
    What if this was the other way: Gesecurity the "hidden" licensing deal we've heard about last Q?
    This language perfectly fits with Chen's mood about IP and the way they'll handle it in the future : no hassle on previous users but get paid where it is legit and dry the illegitimate usage. (I'm still tracking who is this mysterious partner so I mark all options possible - this one of many (unknown) only)
    Grsec is a small company, little revenue potential, and why would they need to license from BB for Linux kernel code anyway.
    09-30-15 02:57 AM
    I meant it the other way BlackBerry licensing GrSecurity (sorry for the typo BTW) or cross sharing (mutual exchange).
    We have no clue either this licensing deal was an income, an expense or a neutral deal.
    09-30-15 03:14 AM
    I meant it the other way BlackBerry licensing GrSecurity (sorry for the typo BTW) or cross sharing (mutual exchange).
    We have no clue either this licensing deal was an income, an expense or a neutral deal.
    In terms of revenue/expense it would be small either way, certainly not enough to mention for ER purposes. For GRSec, licensing IP from BB would be problematic since GRsec kernel code is under GPL.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-30-15 03:23 AM
    The lack of SD-card slot is a good feature where blackberry can capitalise. And with people wanting 4k, if they record a lot, their 64gb phone will fill up real quick

Posted via CB10
    Have they announced the storage options for the Priv?

For the most part, SD card slots are pointless on Android devices now. Think of it as BB10, where you can have a hundred gigs of storage in a card and still run out of room for apps on ths phone. Without root, the latest versions of Android treat the SD card as a place for media only.

For a long time, SD card slots have been what crappy Android manufactures used so that they get out of putting a proper amount of storage in the phone to begin with. What good is an SD card slot if the phone itself only has 16gb of storage for apps?

After using the OnePlus One with 64GB of actual storage, I have no desire to go back to a phone with 16gb of space for apps and then up to 256gb of space for photos and movies and a bunch of other crap I don't need on my phone.

SD cards as an actual bonus to a phone that already has alot of storage is great, but they are terrible when they are used the way that BlackBerry has always used them.

I'm hoping for a 64gb of on board storage option for the slider.
    09-30-15 05:51 AM

For the most part, SD card slots are pointless on Android devices now. Think of it as BB10, where you can have a hundred gigs of storage in a card and still run out of room for apps on ths phone. Without root, the latest versions of Android treat the SD card as a place for media only.

For a long time, SD card slots have been what crappy Android manufactures used so that they get out of putting a proper amount of storage in the phone to begin with. What good is an SD card slot if the phone itself only has 16gb of storage for apps?

After using the OnePlus One with 64GB of actual storage, I have no desire to go back to a phone with 16gb of space for apps and then up to 256gb of space for photos and movies and a bunch of other crap I don't need on my phone.

SD cards as an actual bonus to a phone that already has alot of storage is great, but they are terrible when they are used the way that BlackBerry has always used them.

I'd like a 64GB option also though I doubt BlackBerry will offer it. But this is new territory for them so we'll have to wait and see.

Also personally for me an sd card is a must and in most cases a phone that is rootable so I can take advantage of app2sd (one of the reasons) which was something "natively" available I think on 4.3 (or maybe the one just before that) at least on the samsung I was using.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 06:16 AM
    Why does BB has to get Android? Why not windows?
    What is BlackBerry's main issue? I think it would be apps mainly? Windows has the same issue even though their war chest is considerable.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-30-15 06:18 AM
    HTC is revealing their first Marshmallow device on Oct 20th don't know the ship date. Existing newer HTC devices will start getting the update in December.
    Hmm, didn't read that hidden announcement, BUT I saw the tweet screenshot someone posted on here . That's cool for HTC owners. Never owned a HTC, so I never check that forum.
    09-30-15 08:38 AM
    If you want to use your Android device as a music player, camera, and video player, that 64 gig will get filled up. I don't want to pay to stream everything when I have a very rich media library already. I have more LEGAL music and digital video / movies than would fit on a 128 gig device, so with only 64, I'd not only have to pick and choose, but pick and choose "carefully".

Oh, and one more wonderful thing about BB10 / Link / Blend that probably won't be on the Slider / Android: Remote File Access. If I want to listen to a song that isn't on my device, at least with BB10 I have the "luxury" of just grabbing it from my media library by RFA. Say goodbye to that capability without a BB10 device.
    09-30-15 09:37 AM
    If you want to use your Android device as a music player, camera, and video player, that 64 gig will get filled up. I don't want to pay to stream everything when I have a very rich media library already. I have more LEGAL music and digital video / movies than would fit on a 128 gig device, so with only 64, I'd not only have to pick and choose, but pick and choose "carefully".

Oh, and one more wonderful thing about BB10 / Link / Blend that probably won't be on the Slider / Android: Remote File Access. If I want to listen to a song that isn't on my device, at least with BB10 I have the "luxury" of just grabbing it from my media library by RFA. Say goodbye to that capability without a BB10 device.
    Aye I agree. I have a 128 gig SD card in my note 4. I have movies, music, comics and of course pictures that I take.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-30-15 11:31 AM

I call BS on that, no way!!... People run out of space because of simple data like pictures, videos, Music, etc, stuff that can perfectly be in a SD card... Show me someone that has 32GB's in apps... That's just insane ammount of apps. Since most apps are in the range of 10-30mb's except heavy games, we are talking in more than 1000 Apps in 32GB's... I bet Android can't handle 200 apps, let alot 32GB's full of them

show-me your resource monitor with you having 30GB's of apps...

But we shouldn't even have this conversation, because there is demand for phones with SD-card, if there is demand it because people use it, not to show off.

(I'm saying this, I'm not biased, I don't even use SD card on any phone, I don't store much stuff on the phone, but that's just me)
    MO3iusONE and Allanon89 like this.
    09-30-15 12:23 PM
    I call BS on that, no way!!... People run out of space because of simple data like pictures, videos, Music, etc, stuff that can perfectly be in a SD card... Show me someone that has 32GB's in apps... That's just insane ammount of apps. Since most apps are in the range of 10-30mb's except heavy games, we are talking in more than 1000 Apps in 32GB's... I bet Android can't handle 200 apps, let alot 32GB's full of them

show-me your resource monitor with you having 30GB's of apps...

But we shouldn't even have this conversation, because there is demand for phones with SD-card, if there is demand it because people use it, not to show off.

(I'm saying this, I'm not biased, I don't even use SD card on any phone, I don't store much stuff on the phone, but that's just me)
    BOOM! Post of the day. If there were no demand for SD cards, then companies like Motorola/Lenovo wouldn't be selling them. Charging an extra $100 or so to buy a device with 64GB or even 128GB (another $100) is just to pad the profits of the device maker (hello, Apple). I don't fall for that sh!t.

The biggest cell phone ripoff: $100 for 32 GB of storage - Aug. 14, 2015
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    09-30-15 12:30 PM
75 123