I call BS on that, no way!!... People run out of space because of simple data like pictures, videos, Music, etc, stuff that can perfectly be in a SD card... Show me someone that has 32GB's in apps... That's just insane ammount of apps. Since most apps are in the range of 10-30mb's except heavy games, we are talking in more than 1000 Apps in 32GB's... I bet Android can't handle 200 apps, let alot 32GB's full of them

show-me your resource monitor with you having 30GB's of apps...

But we shouldn't even have this conversation, because there is demand for phones with SD-card, if there is demand it because people use it, not to show off.

(I'm saying this, I'm not biased, I don't even use SD card on any phone, I don't store much stuff on the phone, but that's just me)
    You're right, we shouldn't have this conversation. In case you didn't notice, I never said anything about 32gbs of storage or that SD card slots were bad.

I was talking about all of the people who have BB10 and Android devices with zero free space available for apps yet plenty of room open on the SD card that is regulated to only media.

Have you not seen those complaints? I've heard from several people on this site who weren't even able to update their BB10 phone until they deleted stuff from the internal storage. Thank goodness for that SD card slot though.

Look, in a perfect world, you'd get both. Plenty of internal storage AND a SD card slot. That would be ideal. BUT, if you can't have both, it is far more useful in my opinion to have a large amount of internal storage. Especially on Android. Have you ever used KitKat or above?

If this phone does launch with only 16gb of internal storage and a SD card slot, I will sit back and wait for all of the complaints to roll in and laugh.

Hopefully they aren't that dumb though.
    09-30-15 02:16 PM
    BOOM! Post of the day. If there were no demand for SD cards, then companies like Motorola/Lenovo wouldn't be selling them. Charging an extra $100 or so to buy a device with 64GB or even 128GB (another $100) is just to pad the profits of the device maker (hello, Apple). I don't fall for that sh!t.

The biggest cell phone ripoff: $100 for 32 GB of storage - Aug. 14, 2015
    My OnePlus One with 64gb of storage only cost me $50 more than the 16gb version. Money well spent in my opinion. Not all companies are as greedy as Apple.

Notice that I never said SD card slots were bad. I love them. But only when the phone itself has a proper amount of storage first.

A 16gb phone with a SD card slot is no where near as useful as a 64gb phone. All of the complaints here kind of prove that.

Unable to upgrade to BlackBerry OS 10.3.1 due to insufficient space? | CrackBerry.com
    09-30-15 02:26 PM
    Obviously many of you don't use spotify premium with extreme quality downloaded music directly into your SD card. 64gigs is enough but it's not that much.

Or try flac and recording 4k video and tell me how fast your memory fills up.

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-30-15 02:59 PM
    I call BS on that, no way!!... People run out of space because of simple data like pictures, videos, Music, etc, stuff that can perfectly be in a SD card... Show me someone that has 32GB's in apps... That's just insane ammount of apps. Since most apps are in the range of 10-30mb's except heavy games, we are talking in more than 1000 Apps in 32GB's... I bet Android can't handle 200 apps, let alot 32GB's full of them

show-me your resource monitor with you having 30GB's of apps...

But we shouldn't even have this conversation, because there is demand for phones with SD-card, if there is demand it because people use it, not to show off.

(I'm saying this, I'm not biased, I don't even use SD card on any phone, I don't store much stuff on the phone, but that's just me)
    My 32GB Nexus 7 has almost 15GB in apps on board, and the only thing I could ever want to change about the device is having an sd card slot. Android 6.0 reintroduces much better sd card support, allowing apps to be installed to it. I'm not sure where you see that apps are usually 20-30mb in size. I have three apps over 1.5GB, 13 others over 100mb, and then 31 between 50 and 100.
    09-30-15 03:09 PM
    My 32GB Nexus 7 has almost 15GB in apps on board, and the only thing I could ever want to change about the device is having an sd card slot. Android 6.0 reintroduces much better sd card support, allowing apps to be installed to it. I'm not sure where you see that apps are usually 20-30mb in size. I have three apps over 1.5GB, 13 others over 100mb, and then 31 between 50 and 100.
    How do you have apps that are 1.5gb when google play only allows apps up to 100mb? (and it was 50mb until 2 days ago)

So the app itself does not need that, but what you do with the app probabily.
    09-30-15 04:15 PM
    How do you have apps that are 1.5gb when google play only allows apps up to 100mb? (and it was 50mb until 2 days ago)

It's not the app, it's the app data

Offline maps anyone? There's ~2gb right there.

Incidentally on my Passport I have the maps for Mireo on the SD card and have my pictures and videos there too (along with my music stash.) There's no way I could fit my music stash (which is largely FLAC format) on the phone, and were the internal storage only 16Gb and it had no SD slot I'd be hosed as there'd be no room for Mireo's data, say much less pictures and such.

The SD card slot is quite a material issue for a lot of people; I won't buy a phone without one.
    09-30-15 04:21 PM

The apps download additional data after they've been installed from Google Play. I also have several apps/gamss that are over 1gb in size. Then on top of just the installed data, you've also got to think of things like saved user data from actually using the apps.

Have you ever used Android?
    09-30-15 04:35 PM
    The apps download additional data after they've been installed from Google Play. I also have several apps/gamss that are over 1gb in size. Then on top of just the installed data, you've also got to think of things like saved user data from actually using the apps.

Have you ever used Android?
    Can you give an example of an app that isn't a 3D game that you need 1gb of storage?
    09-30-15 04:51 PM
    I don't have one. I've always admired the build on Blackberry devices, but the OS isn't what I was looking for. It's a great OS, but didn't match my needs. I was really looking forward to buying this phone. It seemed like a marriage between a preferred builder and OS. It's what led me to this nice community here as well.

I've just been incredibly disappointed in how BB has handled it, then I see how slow updates are with BB10 ( of course BB OS probably doesn't change as much as Android. It seems pretty refined and stable.) & I wonder how slow Android updates will be.
    How many time per year should an OS update? BB10 went from 10.0 to 10.3 in less than 2 1/2 years. How much faster do you want?

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-30-15 04:53 PM
    They are so slow with this I bet it will have jelly bean...

Bumpkin
    09-30-15 05:22 PM
    Can you give an example of an app that isn't a 3D game that you need 1gb of storage?
    Lots of them. Heroes of Dragon Age, which a turn-based game takes 1.97 GB for the data portion on my phone. It used to be alot slimmer when I first started playing 8 months ago but they pile on more and more.
    09-30-15 05:32 PM
    Lots of them. Heroes of Dragon Age, which a turn-based game takes 1.97 GB for the data portion on my phone. It used to be alot slimmer when I first started playing 8 months ago but they pile on more and more.
    you forgot the part "not a game".

I just did some research, because i thought that since Android is so customizable, it must be able to have apps on a SD card right? well, seems that my intuition was right, there are ways to install apps directly in the SD-card, and even apps like "lucky patcher" (also available for bb10) that lets you even move apps installed in internal storage to the SD-Card.

So having a SDXC slot in your phone, will let you have up to 2 Terabytes of extra space (when they make such cards). At the moment the largest Micro-Sd is 512gb, and that is good for plenty of 4k movies and FLAC music
    Last edited by Joao Oliveira; 09-30-15 at 07:11 PM.
    09-30-15 06:55 PM
    You can do this with Android as well. I think I saw a video of someone connecting a floppy drive to a phone lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Yes! My buddy uses a powered external hard drive. Or you can use a powered USB hub. I've heard that works also. Pretty cool!

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-30-15 07:06 PM
    What point are you trying to prove? Apps take up space and 16GB just isn't enough in today's world.

Jesus man, people are even running out of internal storage space on devices that run BB10, a platform that is truly terrible when it comes to app selection. What do think would happen if those same people were running a OS that actually has a wide selection of native apps and games with only 16gb of storage built-in?

To answer your question though, Wikipedia offline is 3.6gb. That's not a 3D game and it is massive.
    09-30-15 07:23 PM
    you forgot the part "not a game".
    No you said '3D game' which means me games like first-person shooters and high density graphics.

As to your other part. Yes Android can be used to place app on SD but BB will have to follow Googles guidelines on what can be placed in external storage. In Lollipop you could not have apps on SD. Marshmallow will change that somewhat but I haven't investigated what exactly the restrictions will be. There are security concerns with allowing wholesale placement of data that way.
    09-30-15 07:41 PM
    What point are you trying to prove? Apps take up space and 16GB just isn't enough in today's world.
    I know it's not, but it's not like we are talking about 16gb's anymore. The passport is one year old already and it didn't have 16gb option.

There are people running out of storage, but you are talking about 8 and 16Gb's, I'm not, I'm in the Priv forum, and 32gb's I think is very reasonable for the a lifspan of 2 years for most people on this product, especially if knowing that you can move the entire apps into the SD card.

So going back to my Original post that started this discussion: With today's popular Android phones like Galaxy S6, OnePlus two, New Nexus not having Sd card slot, the Priv can grab a few sales by having it, knowing that there is still a decent amount of people that value the SD card slot.

The lack of SD-card slot is a good feature where blackberry can capitalise. And with people wanting 4k, if they record a lot, their 64gb phone will fill up real quick
    The sd slot won't make the phone any bulkier, or much heavier, and is a great feature to have, it's optional, and I would see a lot of people using it even if it had 64gb of internal storage.
    09-30-15 08:02 PM
    No you said '3D game' which means me games like first-person shooters and high density graphics.

As to your other part. Yes Android can be used to place app on SD but BB will have to follow Googles guidelines on what can be placed in external storage. In Lollipop you could not have apps on SD. Marshmallow will change that somewhat but I haven't investigated what exactly the restrictions will be. There are security concerns with allowing wholesale placement of data that way.
    sorry, i didn't check out if it was 3D or not...

I have no idea about the "legal" part of moving apps, but lets face it, I don't see google sticking their nose in you moving oversized apps to your SD card if it is to improve the experience in your phone. Google itself implemented the 100mb limit on Google play apps, so I think everything over that they wouldn't simply care... They probabily won't care where you story any apps if it's not a Google App or something that can compromise security
    09-30-15 08:05 PM

Larger games will download additional files beyond the app itself. Others might download files when you first launch the app. For example, Hearthstone is a mostly 2D CCG game I have that is nearly 2GB, and is unplayable with any less.
    09-30-15 08:08 PM
    I have no idea about the "legal" part of moving apps, but lets face it, I don't see google sticking their nose in you moving oversized apps to your SD card if it is to improve the experience in your phone. Google itself implemented the 100mb limit on Google play apps, so I think everything over that they wouldn't simply care... They probabily won't care where you story any apps if it's not a Google App or something that can compromise security
    They actually do care. Lollipop does not support app2SD and if BB changed that it would fail compatibility tests with Google and thus a license would not be extended for Google apps.

Read up on the change with Marshmallow. Basically you insert the SD card and a dialogue box pops up asking if you want it for media storage or for encrypted app storage. If you select app storage then it will format and encrypt the card to your device and the SD card storage is 'adopted' to become part of the internal storage.
    Witmen likes this.
    09-30-15 08:43 PM
    No, I want Android 7.0 "Bacon double cheeseburger" on my Priv.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10.
    Yah but android 7.0 has to start with a "N" and be a sugary based food so try NuttyBar or something.....

Q10 on 10.3.2.2474
    09-30-15 09:21 PM
    Yah but android 7.0 has to start with a "N" and be a sugary based food so try NuttyBar or something.....

Q10 on 10.3.2.2474
    Nutella guaranteed
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-30-15 09:53 PM
    Nutella guaranteed
    I was going to guess Nougat, but yours is much better
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-01-15 07:29 AM
    Will there really be any need for much support compared to any of the big time app developing companies? Afterall the BB Suite are just apps, fancy & powerful as they are. All BB would do is update the apps. Let Google and/or the carriers update the OS. Blackberry is really just a software company now.
    As long as we can load software ourselves like we can now, I really don't care. But, if I have to rely on a carrier to update, I'll have to pass.
    10-01-15 08:29 AM
    Chocolate Factory's.
    10-01-15 08:53 AM
    As long as we can load software ourselves like we can now, I really don't care. But, if I have to rely on a carrier to update, I'll have to pass.
    It's Android... so how do leaks work in the Android World? Do HTC, Samsung, Motorola usually leak the latest Android update for different devices so that users can bypass official Carrier releases?

The issue is, what happens if the PRIV is another sales disaster and Chen pulls out of hardware completely in 9 months.... how committed do you think he'll be to an Android N update at that point? If you can't root the device, will there be anyway to install Android N and a Driver package without BlackBerry?
    10-01-15 09:22 AM
75 123