How long do we think it will take before Android 6 "Marshmallow" is ported to the Slider?

Some of those camera features being demonstrated on the Nexus 6 look pretty cool: will those features be available on any sufficiently powerful Android device, or only on the Nexus? (I expect the features to be part of the "Android Camera" app, not exclusive to the Nexus devices).

I hope if BlackBerry is really working with Google on the Android infrastructure, it needn't take too long (I mean, not SAMSUNG long).

Other features of interest:

The launcher is now more intuitive with A-Z sort and type to find apps... and it "learns your patterns" i.e. "this person launches Instagram, then immediately launches Twitter afterwards" so it will show you Twitter at the top of the list after you've launched Instagram? Now, are these "patterns" being sent to Google?

"Now on Tap" that looks at what's going on on the device and provides related links etc. "Super convenient". Will the BlackBerry Assistant on Android be integrated with this, or continue to work independently?

Exposing the voice recognition APIs to app developers. Apps using this API will no doubt require Google Mobile Services of course. Good for the Slider now that it will have GMS.

New battery saving techniques... 30% longer battery life, "purely on software changes".

Nexus 5X and 6P available for preorder in selected countries at a USD cost of:

$379 (16g) and $499 (32g) respectively. There's your baseline for the Slider. But the Nexus devices include 90 days of free Google Music (streaming service) and $50 Google Play store credit. 2 years of mechanical AND ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE included. That's like, what $100 on Apple Care? Next business day replacement. Jebus. (EDIT: the accidental coverage will cost $89 extra)

The Chromebook Pixel C (Android tablet) optional bluetooth keyboard has some symbol keys missing for compactness, and is using the Passport "show symbols on the screen" technique (the touchscreen sits just above the top row of the keyboard).
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 09-30-15 at 09:30 AM.
    JohnGrey and JRF_1986 like this.
    09-29-15 11:18 AM
    I wish that PRIV will be released with Android 6.0 loaded.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/29/94...droid-6-update

Google today announced that Android 6.0 Marshmallow will be widely available starting next week.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 11:47 AM
    That new Nexus 6P was doing quite well until I learned it won't allow an external SD storage. The Moto X Pure is still the better phone... same price, ext storage, same specs, slightly smaller 6" vs 6.25in (Nexus), and also a fast update like the Nexus.

Now I wait for the BB Suite and its cost.....
    09-29-15 12:24 PM
    That new Nexus 6P was doing quite well until I learned it won't allow an external SD storage. The Moto X Pure is still the better phone... same price, ext storage, same specs, slightly smaller 6" vs 6.25in (Nexus), and also a fast update like the Nexus.

Now I wait for the BB Suite and its cost.....
    The lack of microSD slot wasn't a surprise to me. Most of the top-tier manufacturers have discontinued having them in favour of pushing cloud services. Of course, on Android you have many more options regarding OTA file access, which makes it less of an issue than for iPhone. And with the USB-C port I'm reasonably certain a microSD adapter will be forthcoming very quickly, so the lack of dedicated microSD slot is really a non-issue, considering that that way one doesn't have to remove the phone's back cover and risk dislodging the battery.

In all, with the free Google Music trial and $50 credit, coupled with the specs and price, it's a home-run for Google. Apparently, they listened to their users after the original Nexus 6 debacle.
    09-29-15 12:34 PM
    How long do we think it will take before Android 6 "Marshmallow" is ported to the Slider?

Some of those camera features being demonstrated on the Nexus 6 look pretty cool: will those features be available on any sufficiently powerful Android device, or only on the Nexus? (I expect the features to be part of the "Android Camera" app, not exclusive to the Nexus devices).

I hope if BlackBerry is really working with Google on the Android infrastructure, it needn't take too long (I mean, not SAMSUNG long).

Other features of interest:

The launcher is now more intuitive with A-Z sort and type to find apps... and it "learns your patterns" i.e. "this person launches Instagram, then immediately launches Twitter afterwards" so it will show you Twitter at the top of the list after you've launched Instagram? Now, are these "patterns" being sent to Google?

"Now on Tap" that looks at what's going on on the device and provides related links etc. "Super convenient". Will the BlackBerry Assistant on Android be integrated with this, or continue to work independently?

Exposing the voice recognition APIs to app developers. Apps using this API will no doubt require Google Mobile Services of course. Good for the Slider now that it will have GMS.

New battery saving techniques... 30% longer battery life, "purely on software changes".

Nexus 5X and 6P available for preorder in selected countries at a USD cost of:

$379 (16g) and $499 (32g) respectively. There's your baseline for the Slider. But the Nexus devices include 90 days of free Google Music (streaming service) and $50 Google Play store credit. 2 years of mechanical AND ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE included. That's like, what $100 on Apple Care? Next business day replacement. Jebus.

The Chromebook Pixel C (Android tablet) optional bluetooth keyboard has some symbol keys missing for compactness, and is using the Passport "show symbols on the screen" technique (the touchscreen sits just above the top row of the keyboard).
    At lot depends on how complicated the re-baking is and how quickly it can be done with how decimated the development staff has become with the recent lay-offs.
    09-29-15 12:36 PM
    At lot depends on how complicated the re-baking is and how quickly it can be done with how decimated the development staff has become with the recent lay-offs.
    Which raises a key question, will BlackBerry even support this phone? Set aside sales, with the hardware division essentially gutted, how can a potential customer be sure that once the phone is purchased, Blackberry will continue to provide any meaningful support? What happens if the sales figures are low (very likely)?
    Allanon89 likes this.
    09-29-15 12:59 PM
    Which raises a key question, will BlackBerry even support this phone? Set aside sales, with the hardware division essentially gutted, how can a potential customer be sure that once the phone is purchased, Blackberry will continue to provide any meaningful support? What happens if the sales figures are low (very likely)?
    You touch it with a needle, which is one of the reasons that I'm dubious about the handset's prospects. Among those able to afford it, the average consumer will likely, for the most part, ignore the phone because there's no Apple, Samsung or Galaxy in the name, and those that are aware of BBRY will also likely be aware, and understandably wary, of where they are as a company, its failures in product support in the past (e.g. Playbook), and will treat the brand's value accordingly. I can't say definitely what the response to the phone will be, or how effectively they will support it on a forward basis, but I'm understandably cautious.
    09-29-15 01:04 PM
    The slider isn't even released yet. It's obviously not going to be running Android 6 right now but I don't see why it wouldn't be 2 months from now.
    09-29-15 01:06 PM
    The Nexus Protect program isn't included with the new Nexuses (Nexii?). I think it was $89 for the 6P and $69 for the 5X. The reason 6.0 should get much better battery life is because of a feature called Doze, that essentially is a much improved sleep mode when the device isn't being used. So, SOT won't improve much, but stand by time will be much better.
    09-29-15 01:19 PM
    You touch it with a needle, which is one of the reasons that I'm dubious about the handset's prospects....
    Note, too, the critical differences between Android version 5 and v6. Seeing, today, the added features (all critical) in version 6, relative to what's in 5.1.x, it's painfully obvious just how crippled an OS Android has been for all these years. iOS, up through 7.x, was no better, either. It was only with the addition of third party KB support, that I even began to glance at the iPhone (only to be immediately put off by the consumer centric UX).

I will opine that Android Marshmallow does appear to be a competent OS, and I will give the Priv a serious and fair evaluation. That being said, it's the manufacturer, BB, that warrants severe caution when considering this device.
    Last edited by JGoodard; 09-29-15 at 01:48 PM. Reason: clarification.
    09-29-15 01:43 PM
    Will there really be any need for much support compared to any of the big time app developing companies? Afterall the BB Suite are just apps, fancy & powerful as they are. All BB would do is update the apps. Let Google and/or the carriers update the OS. Blackberry is really just a software company now.
    09-29-15 01:57 PM
    BB can put in its own permissions manager with Lollipop if it has the time and resources before Priv launch. CyanogenMod and Blackphone already to and both are still eligible for Google services.
    09-29-15 02:05 PM
    Does anyone have a link on the Basics 101 of this "CyanogenMod" ??
    Patrick Butler likes this.
    09-29-15 02:08 PM
    Will there really be any need for much support compared to any of the big time app developing companies? Afterall the BB Suite are just apps, fancy & powerful as they are. All BB would do is update the apps. Let Google and/or the carriers update the OS. Blackberry is really just a software company now.
    First, Google is not going to field support calls for BBRY when they aren't being paid to do so. Samsung owners don't call Google for support regarding issues for their Galaxy phones. Second, this is not vanilla Android. It's using a custom kernel, and we have no idea how integrated the BBRY apps and services are into the OS. In the best case scenario, they'll have to wait for Grsecurity to evaluate the kernel's function with Marshmallow and issue patches at need.

I will note that, in researching this post, I noticed something on Grsecurity's site that causes me some concern:

Due to continued violations by several companies in the embedded industry of grsecurity�'s trademark and registered copyrights, effective September 9th 2015 stable patches of grsecurity are being made available to sponsors and commercial support customers only. For more information, read the full announcement.

I hope, for BBRY's sake, that this doesn't refer to them. I know that, so far as Grsecurity's most updated sponsor list is concerned, BBRY is not a sponsor. Hopefully, they are a commercial customer.
    09-29-15 02:13 PM
    Yes, but software apps require optimization with the OS and hardware; and, in its turn, so too does the OS require optimization for the hardware. But let's go beyond just software. Where will BlackBerry's hardware support begin and end? What kind of warranty support can one reasonably expect from the vendor for a device that we can safely assume is going to be very pricey?

BB10 hardware support hasn't exactly been stellar to this point, and those devices weren't budget (should have been).
    Allanon89 likes this.
    09-29-15 02:21 PM
    Here is an example of how CMs permission manager called Privacy Guard works on the OnePlus One android phone.

09-29-15 02:24 PM
    Check their website CyanogenMod
    09-29-15 02:26 PM
    I will note that, in researching this post, I noticed something on Grsecurity's site that causes me some concern:

Due to continued violations by several companies in the embedded industry of grsecurity�'s trademark and registered copyrights, effective September 9th 2015 stable patches of grsecurity are being made available to sponsors and commercial support customers only. For more information, read the full announcement.

I hope, for BBRY's sake, that this doesn't refer to them. I know that, so far as Grsecurity's most updated sponsor list is concerned, BBRY is not a sponsor. Hopefully, they are a commercial customer.

No it does not. Further digging when I saw this page, there are security forums out there that point to Intel as the culprit.
    09-29-15 02:57 PM
    Edit: Nvm
    09-29-15 03:04 PM
    No it does not. Further digging when I saw this page, there are security forums out there that point to Intel as the culprit.
    Well, Wind River, which is a subsidiary of Intel. I found it as well.
    09-29-15 03:09 PM
    I wish that PRIV will be released with Android 6.0 loaded.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/29/94...droid-6-update

Google today announced that Android 6.0 Marshmallow will be widely available starting next week.

Posted via CB10
    For Nexus devices ONLY. Android M won't be available for the rest of flagship phones/tablets til end of 2015/early 2016.

I've read multiple websites say this and I'm sure at the Google/Nexus Event it was stated that too. I watched and listened to the event, but I was also multitasking on other things.
    JohnGrey likes this.
    09-29-15 03:31 PM
    For Nexus devices ONLY. Android M won't be available for the rest of flagship phones/tablets til end of 2015/early 2016.

I've read multiple websites say this and I'm sure at the Google/Nexus Event it was stated that too. I watched and listened to the event, but I was also multitasking on other things.
    HTC is revealing their first Marshmallow device on Oct 20th don't know the ship date. Existing newer HTC devices will start getting the update in December.
    09-29-15 04:16 PM
    The lack of microSD slot wasn't a surprise to me. Most of the top-tier manufacturers have discontinued having them in favour of pushing cloud services. Of course, on Android you have many more options regarding OTA file access, which makes it less of an issue than for iPhone. And with the USB-C port I'm reasonably certain a microSD adapter will be forthcoming very quickly, so the lack of dedicated microSD slot is really a non-issue, considering that that way one doesn't have to remove the phone's back cover and risk dislodging the battery.

In all, with the free Google Music trial and $50 credit, coupled with the specs and price, it's a home-run for Google. Apparently, they listened to their users after the original Nexus 6 debacle.
    The lack of SD-card slot is a good feature where blackberry can capitalise. And with people wanting 4k, if they record a lot, their 64gb phone will fill up real quick

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 04:32 PM
    The lack of SD-card slot is a good feature where blackberry can capitalise. And with people wanting 4k, if they record a lot, their 64gb phone will fill up real quick

Posted via CB10
    Sure, people will drop a $200 premium on a PKB and a microSD slot. Keep telling yourself that.
    09-29-15 05:58 PM
    Sure, people will drop a $200 premium on a PKB and a microSD slot. Keep telling yourself that.
    Actually the PKB & SD slot are what got me interested in this phone. At $200 to $300 subsidized, it would definitely be an alternative for me. I run a Note 3, my previous phones were DROID 1 & DROID 4. PKB, Expandable storage, Android with BlackBerry quality build? It was a no brainer.

Then I watched BB screw up the marketing and their CEO fumble with a product he obviously knew nothing about. It's pretty clear to me that BB doesn't understand Android or its user base.

Android is an evolving ecosystem that requires steady support from the manufacturer. Based on the ineptitude I've seen so far, I don't think BB has the ability or capacity to provide this kind of support. (Ex: Note 3 has had 4 OS revisions and 1 exploit update in 22 months )

I wouldn't expect 6.0 on Venice within the first 6 months of release. That's a problem. Venice went from an ASAP buy to a wait and see how it's recieved / supported thing for me.
    09-29-15 06:39 PM
75 123