03-01-17 09:19 AM
73 123
tools
    I am still using BB10 happily, but am trying to plan for the future.

Is the Hub in Android catching up to the Hub experience in BB10, or does it still feel like a wonky Android App?

I tried the Priv when it was released, but was unimpressed with Hub integration and the lack of fluidity in responding to multiple messages from multiple sources.

Can I use the Priv to respond to dozens of messages across multiple accounts, including adding attachments from Box, OneDrive and Dropbox, without having to navigate through the dreaded "home" screen?

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 11:01 AM
    The hub running on MM definitely improved the experience but it is still not on par with the BB10 fluidity.

I am sure however that it will get better and eventually surpass the functionalities implemented on BB10. There are already some gesture such as the swipe left/right to delete or snooze the email that BB10 is not offering.

I find snooze in particular extremely useful. You can postpone an email based on a specific time line or even a place. The hub will notify you again about the email once your reach the specific place/hour

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    FF22 likes this.
    07-18-16 11:22 AM
    I am still using BB10 happily, but am trying to plan for the future.

Is the Hub in Android catching up to the Hub experience in BB10, or does it still feel like a wonky Android App?

I tried the Priv when it was released, but was unimpressed with Hub integration and the lack of fluidity in responding to multiple messages from multiple sources.

Can I use the Priv to respond to dozens of messages across multiple accounts, including adding attachments from Box, OneDrive and Dropbox, without having to navigate through the dreaded "home" screen?

Posted via CB10
    I was wondering the same thing.
    I also had the Priv when it came out, but also had a passport. It was like night and day between how the two phones UI differ.

I like the updates they have been pushing, but I don't think the Priv can take on my Passport and my secondary phone, LG V10.

By the way, the swipe feature has been around on Android for years. May be new to the hub app, but it's old to Android.
    07-18-16 06:14 PM
    Yeah the snooze and swipe features are nice. Post MM the hub works fine but it won't match the BlackBerry 10 experience anytime soon, if ever, for fluidity. Android just doesn't do fluid like BlackBerry does.

I always thought it was odd that BlackBerry 10 had so many swipe gestures, but not in the hub.

All things considered I'd rather have swipes on the launcher than the hub, if I could only have one.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-18-16 06:43 PM
    It's unfortunate that BlackBerry can't bring more of the BB10 fluidity to Android. I had naively hoped that MM would somehow be a silver bullet for the "choppy" Android approach to app integration.

When it comes to the thought of moving to the Priv, I feel like a chef who is being asked to give up my dedicated 8 inch chef's knife for a great "Swiss Army" style tool that is amazing in many ways, but which is not expressly designed for the tasks for which I'm most responsible.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 06:56 PM
    It's unfortunate that BlackBerry can't bring more of the BB10 fluidity to Android. I had naively hoped that MM would somehow be a silver bullet for the "choppy" Android approach to app integration.

When it comes to the thought of moving to the Priv, I feel like a chef who is being asked to give up my dedicated 8 inch chef's knife for a great "Swiss Army" style tool that is amazing in many ways, but which is not expressly designed for the tasks for which I'm most responsible.

Posted via CB10
    Great analogy, maybe the best that I've read concerning the difference between bb10 and android.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-18-16 08:31 PM
    What is it missing exactly to be designed for your particular work flows or use cases?
    CmdrStraker and nbaliga like this.
    07-18-16 10:04 PM
    I was really referring go the fluidity of the UI, which is really up to Google (I refuse to say Alphabet or whatever) and your hardware. QNX is just a fluid, low overhead OS.

As far as functionality I don't miss anything except pinch for unread. And that's just two clicks at the top.

Caveat: I know I wasn't being called out but since I started that line of discussion I wanted to clear up my post.

07-18-16 10:24 PM
    What is it missing exactly to be designed for your particular work flows or use cases?
    Android is like a full set of stamped kitchen/chef's knives.

BB10 is like a single, folded steel, ground chef's knife.

The quality of the experience is just that much better with BB10, even if the breadth of the experience is extremely narrow. But I don't need my phone to do a lot, just a few things really well, and better than any other OS.

Heck, even a cheap chef's knife will make a good meal. But it's the enjoyment of the process for the user that Android is missing, imo. And that's OS navigation and multitasking. BB10 is an RTOS, right?
    bigjman likes this.
    07-18-16 10:26 PM

The quality of the experience is just that much better with BB10, even if the breadth of the experience is extremely narrow. But I don't need my phone to do a lot, just a few things really well, and better than any other OS.

Heck, even a cheap chef's knife will make a good meal. But it's the enjoyment of the process for the user that Android is missing, imo. And that's OS navigation and multitasking. BB10 is an RTOS, right?
    Understood. What are those few things you're looking for today though that you feel are missing? What could be added to better suit your needs? What problems solved?
    07-18-16 10:30 PM
    See my original post. Here is the critical question, quoted:

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 10:42 PM

Much better analogy. Because obviously Android is a fully functional OS. But still, if I had to prep for 8-10 hours daily with a stamped knife I would quit the profession.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 10:47 PM
    Even with the swiping gestures, there's no pinch. And you get to see your notification in the android tray on the home screen so it pretty much kills the hub use, I got it active for nostalgia sake as I'm still mourning the loss of blackberry 10 .

But yeah . It's getting there . Slowly but surely .
    07-18-16 11:38 PM
    Understood. What are those few things you're looking for today though that you feel are missing? What could be added to better suit your needs? What problems solved?
    I would like to be able to file attachments from the hub without the default / organic file name getting replaced with RAW.xxx. Thanks Cody.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    07-18-16 11:45 PM
    Much better analogy. Because obviously Android is a fully functional OS. But still, if I had to prep for 8-10 hours daily with a stamped knife I would quit the profession.

Posted via CB10
    After this discussion, I'm heading down to the refrigerator or to a good sushi restaurant!
    07-18-16 11:49 PM
    Yeah I agree. I've honestly been silenced by the sheer perfection of the knife analogy, from a CHEF. Anyone who can come up with that on the fly has my full attention. I'll just listen.

FF22, kirson and bigjman like this.
    07-19-16 12:03 AM
    Yeah I agree. I've honestly been silenced by the sheer perfection of the knife analogy, from a CHEF. Anyone who can come up with that on the fly has my full attention. I'll just listen.

I got a priv a while ago and gave my pp se to my girl and it's been OK. She wanted to go android so now I have both phones going the priv setup for my main and the pp se as my other / carrier backup with a few things loaded.

I am now fighting the urge to move just my work stuff back to the passport as it would require me to buy some more data and in theory it's just fine on the priv. I just love my pp se and typing on it a lot. Ugh tough decision as in reality I would still have all my android support and for work the sweet element is what's nicer to type on and smoother lol Z

Posted via CB10
    07-19-16 12:15 AM
    The Hub is just fine. As long as you remember that it requires a different gesture i.e. use the swipe shortcut then you'd always be added fast as bb10 and more. Also, android notification tray i.e. the toast message equivalent in bb10.. Androids is much better so this hub chant is unnecessary trust me. It only really becomes a place where your notifications are stored and u can go back to when u have time. Which other phone don't have so thank you BlackBerry.

It's brilliant.

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv
    07-19-16 12:35 AM
    Same boat here. But I have two lines and three good phones: Note 4, Priv, and Passport. I was going to do the same as you and agonized but ultimately the PP lost out and is now in a drawer. It is a PITA to carry two phones and the Priv just does more so I didn't carry the PP much. Keeping it charged became a chore.

The PP got booted for two reasons: replaceable battery on the Note and that freaking GENIUS Cobalt figured out how to put the BlackBerry suite on any marshmallow phone. A third factor that also weighed is that the BlackBerry screen keyboard grows on me.

FF22 likes this.
    07-19-16 12:40 AM
    Yeah but for me nothing is as sweet as typing out emails on the pp se in fact I don't mind it at all and would not need to pull out the laptop at home.

While I am comfortable on both priv kb the experience is not the same.

There is nothing the pp se can't do from a work email / calendar perspective and my android stuff is all still going to be used on the priv

Anyway we shall see

Posted via CB10
    Wrec likes this.
    07-19-16 01:28 AM
    The Hub on the Priv has seen many updates in past few months but still IMHO it is not at par with the BB10 hub . Still some way to go but very soon it will be matching the legendary BB10 Hub .
    07-19-16 02:54 AM
    The Hub on the Priv has seen many updates in past few months but still IMHO it is not at par with the BB10 hub . Still some way to go but very soon it will be matching the legendary BB10 Hub .
    As soon as that's true, I'll happily switch to the Priv or another Android phone with the same efficiency.

I really like what BlackBerry has done with the Priv, conceptually. Touchscreen and a VKB, with BlackBerry productivity tools. But, I can't switch until that promise has actually been fulfilled.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-16 01:20 PM
    As soon as that's true, I'll happily switch to the Priv or another Android phone with the same efficiency.

I really like what BlackBerry has done with the Priv, conceptually. Touchscreen and a VKB, with BlackBerry productivity tools. But, I can't switch until that promise has actually been fulfilled.

Posted via CB10
    I don't believe it will ever be as smooth since at this point it's an app inside of android rather then part of the OS.

It might come very close and that will be great however I am happy now with my PP / Priv combo setup (Work email on PP SE Personal stuff on Priv+ Skype and other stuff upi use for work)

Posted via CB10
    07-19-16 05:34 PM
    A few things on my list.

1. A way to completely back up and restore my device locally

2. Native file browser.

3. Swipe functions like BB10 even after using the priv for months I still try to swipe my way through the OS

4. Calendar notifications that actually work. Persistent like BB10.

5. Music app that functions the same as BB10 allowing you to use volume up and down to change tracks and middle button pause.

As far as the hub goes being able to swipe into the hub. Pinch to change view, and even pre BB10 being able to delete messages by day/week etc.

There are other things also but this is a good start.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-19-16 05:55 PM
    We need blend.

CmdrStraker likes this.
    07-20-16 10:32 AM
73 123