I love my Z10, but it's time for an upgrade. Would rather go with a BB Droid than anything else. The question is, should I go with the Priv (from Verizon) or hold out for October when the new flagship (Argon?) is being rumored to drop? The most recent release cycle has seen CDMA variants arrive months after an initial GSM exclusive. As I'm getting impatient, I don't want to upgrade only to find if I waited just a little longer a better device might be available. That is similar to what happened when I got the Z10 and then shortly thereafter the Z30 dropped. Your advice is appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-16 01:13 PM
    Find (that's about all you can now) a gently used Z30 off Amazon or Ebay. That will be and upgrade for you coming from a Z10, and you won't be out a bunches of money, or some payment plan from the carriers. You can get a good one for about $150.00 US. AND you'll still be in BB10.

New would be preferable, but I think the news ones have been all scooped up.

Then, when that gives up the ghost, then you can dive into the BB/Droid world (bleech).....
    08-15-16 01:19 PM
    There will always be a better phone.... well maybe, it's possible that the PRIV will be the last CDMA BlackBerry... ever.
    Carl Estes, Coachbulldog and CDM76 like this.
    08-15-16 01:22 PM
    The thing about technology is, something better is always coming
    Don't wait unless you really want to
    If you are happy with the priv now, buy it.
    More so I have my doubts whether the new flagship will be available on Verizon. Get the Priv while it is.
    It's a more than capable device and should be able to hold its own for a couple of years with BlackBerry's OS updates.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    08-15-16 01:22 PM
    Agree to what is said above. Who knows with big red. Was hoping for MM by now too. I do enjoy my priv but wish I passport was on big red. Let us know what you end up doing

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-15-16 02:31 PM
    Well, I can say that upgrading to the PRIV won't be a bad idea. Depending on your own needs and expectations, You have to balance out what could be somewhat better with a new device supposedly coming towards the end of this year.

I just came from my Z30 and I am pretty happy with the PRIV. The specs are good enough for me ( well front facing camera could be a bit better) , and I love that I can still rely on my beloved Blackberry VKB and Hub.
    Whatever next device is coming from BB can't be that much better than the PRIV is now, specs wise. And even if it is a flagship device (as far as I heard they mentioned two mid range phones), given BlackBerrys price strategy on these flagships it is probably way too overpriced.

All I can say is that even how much I loved BB10 and it's productivity, the jump over to a BlackBerry Android device wasn't too hard on me. But thats always personal preferences chipping in

08-15-16 02:51 PM
    Priv is a great phone. I say why wait, get it now and enjoy yourself.

FF22, BLu and Matt J like this.
    08-15-16 09:02 PM
    I would say, if you are in no rush, wait for the new flagship coming out in October, and then make a decision. Personally, I would wait because I want the phone with better specs.

08-15-16 09:54 PM
    Another vote for the Priv here.
    Genuinely one of the best devices I've ever used (and there have been MANY!)
    Still impresses after eight months of use.
    There's a few good deals around the used market too. Picked mine up 'as new' for only �375 just before Xmas, so they should be even cheaper by now. Shop wisely.

Would only ever advise that anybody buy factory unlocked too.
    Carrier branding/software interference is a big no-no. I'll have mine as the manufacturer intended thanks very much!

Go for it. After the initial (inevitable) learning phase when changing OS you'll love it!
    FF22 likes this.
    08-16-16 07:23 AM
    If you have no use for a pkb, I would suggest getting a DTEK50 instead.

08-16-16 10:22 AM
    Thank you for the advice! Quick bit of background: I'm a manager with a 24/7 media organization. When I started my position is when I first tried BlackBerry (a Curve 8330), and I never looked back. The battery life, messaging and multi-tasking capabilities are part of what earned my loyalty. Then too were other productivity tools including the calendar, Office To Go and, more recently, Evernote integration that have kept me loyal.

We all know the story about the app struggles BlackBerry has endured. Being on a BB Droid will allow me to manage the various social accounts my station has from my phone. That's in addition to being able to experience what our mobile presence is like. Your feedback has cemented that The Priv will be my next device.

The lingering concerns I have regard the unique BB10 OS features I will be giving up: Blend, Evernote integration, sharing content to social, file manager, audio quality, BBM functionality, Protect. From posts I've read, the conversion means getting used to not having some of the familiar niceities but gaining some new ones. Especially if Verizon delivers the Marshmallow update. Thanks again. I will keep you posted and seek advice on what options can fill the void to emulate what the Z10 spoiled me with.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-16 10:43 AM
    The lingering concerns I have regard the unique BB10 OS features I will be giving up: Blend, Evernote integration, sharing content to social, file manager, audio quality, BBM functionality, Protect. From posts I've read, the conversion means getting used to not having some of the familiar niceities but gaining some new ones. Especially if Verizon delivers the Marshmallow update. Thanks again. I will keep you posted and seek advice on what options can fill the void to emulate what the Z10 spoiled me with.

Posted via CB10
    I've got a quirky way around the BLEND loss. I still have my Z30 charging (wireless version) and it still feeds Blend to my computers. So it runs in tandem with my Priv. The new NOTE app is quite anemic and really does not have a backup/restore/sync function. I never did really use Evernote but it is available for the Priv. File managers means third party apps. Check out Asus and Solid File managers. BBM is still there - and to get around the Blend issue, I had the two groups I'm in add me with both the Z30 and a new identity with the Priv. So Blend still works and I get BBM group chats in parallel.

Perfect phone - no but a very nice phone. And obviously Verizon has not made it any easier with their or BB's delays.
    08-16-16 12:57 PM
    Part of me feels like I'm over analyzing my upgrade plans, but it's good to know what to expect. An unlocked device isn't in my budget, so I'm soon to be another Verizon Priv owner hoping MM arrives tomorrow. Considered switching to AT&T, but in Boston Massachusetts, Verizon has the best coverage. My peers at the office have AT&T but none of them can use their phones when we're at work. Meanwhile I can.

Okay. Bracing for the pleasant parts of being a Priv owner and the down sides. Get me ready:

Please tell me about BBM on the Priv. My wife and I use the wifi and video calling features of BBM on our Z10s. Will we lose that capability?

Previously I mentioned Evernote integration but really wanted to know if the Remember app is present.

On the media side, does the camera offer Time Shift? That's how I've been able to capture good pics of my young son. Can you share photos (docs or links or anything else for that matter) as easily as with a BB10 device? Will I lose Storymaker? Use it to make lasting memories at most family functions and my relatives love each video.

On the issue of, is there an HDMI cable available for displaying content on my TV the way I do with my Z10? I also make use of the DLNA abilities of my Z10 and PS4

I think that's it for now. Don't mean to be a pain in the @ss, just know this is my community where heads have chimed in and added a whole other level of value to owning a BlackBerry. After Labor Day I anticipate being a Priv owner. I'm looking forward to it. My guess is that for any feature I lose, the ecosystem offers a suitable substitute. Still want to go in prepared for a smoother transition.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-16 02:04 PM
    Part of me feels like I'm over analyzing my upgrade plans, but it's good to know what to expect. An unlocked device isn't in my budget, so I'm soon to be another Verizon Priv owner hoping MM arrives tomorrow. Considered switching to AT&T, but in Boston Massachusetts, Verizon has the best coverage. My peers at the office have AT&T but none of them can use their phones when we're at work. Meanwhile I can.

Okay. Bracing for the pleasant parts of being a Priv owner and the down sides. Get me ready:

Please tell me about BBM on the Priv. My wife and I use the wifi and video calling features of BBM on our Z10s. Will we lose that capability?

Previously I mentioned Evernote integration but really wanted to know if the Remember app is present.

On the media side, does the camera offer Time Shift? That's how I've been able to capture good pics of my young son. Can you share photos (docs or links or anything else for that matter) as easily as with a BB10 device? Will I lose Storymaker? Use it to make lasting memories at most family functions and my relatives love each video.

On the issue of, is there an HDMI cable available for displaying content on my TV the way I do with my Z10? I also make use of the DLNA abilities of my Z10 and PS4

I think that's it for now. Don't mean to be a pain in the @ss, just know this is my community where heads have chimed in and added a whole other level of value to owning a BlackBerry. After Labor Day I anticipate being a Priv owner. I'm looking forward to it. My guess is that for any feature I lose, the ecosystem offers a suitable substitute. Still want to go in prepared for a smoother transition.

Posted via CB10
    I can answer a few of your questions.

BBM: no video calls between BB10 and Android.

No Timeshift

No Storymaker, but I use an app called Quick.

HDMI: you need an adaptor called a Simport

No native DLNA. There are apps in the Playstore but I haven't tried them.

08-27-16 10:08 PM
    Don't get a Priv from verizon. We are like 3 updates and a operating system behind everyone else. If your looking for security, get a iPhone. If you don't really care about security, get a nexus and download the blackberry apps that are now available in the play store. Just my 2 cents.

zephyr613 and NtotheK like this.
    08-27-16 10:20 PM
    OP I am sure you know by now, but just in case you don't, Verizon dropped the price of the Priv by about $350, now costs $408 or $17 per month. I got one as a replacement for a Z10 I used. On verizon but my main driver is a Passport on ATT.

Passport running on 10.3.2. 2876
    08-28-16 07:13 AM
    Going with what I could afford that will give me the upgrade I'm overdue for, this week I started the process of acquiring a Priv from Verizon. Foolishly, I thought I could order the phone online (avoid activation fees and all that) then pick up in store. For that reason, I went to my local store looking for accessories so I'd know the selection when I went in to get the phone...

There were no BB accessories or phones on display in any corner of the store. That made it feel like a cold, unfamiliar place. Hurt my feelings. Left depressed, but with the understanding I would be ordering my phones and cases online. The next disappointment I should have seen coming: No store in 50 miles of any zip code in my state had Privs available for store pick up.

There's a lot more that transpired. It made it the worst online shopping experience I've ever known. My cart vanished 2 times in one shopping session...for real?!!? Well, it is all in the rear view now. I've taken delivery on The BlackBerry Priv! I'm a part of the evolution of a brand I've been loyal to for almost a decade.

In the back of my mind, I'm making statements that I didn't expect. Stuff like "I will like Android", "This might be my last BlackBerry ". Later for all of that pessimism. BB just does it for me. As long as they are in the game, then I'm in it with them. Here I go...

Posted via CB10
    gebco, FF22 and Cong Tuan Nguyen like this.
    09-02-16 09:59 PM
    Going with what I could afford that will give me the upgrade I'm overdue for, this week I started the process of acquiring a Priv from Verizon. Foolishly, I thought I could order the phone online (avoid activation fees and all that) then pick up in store. For that reason, I went to my local store looking for accessories so I'd know the selection when I went in to get the phone...

There were no BB accessories or phones on display in any corner of the store. That made it feel like a cold, unfamiliar place. Hurt my feelings. Left depressed, but with the understanding I would be ordering my phones and cases online. The next disappointment I should have seen coming: No store in 50 miles of any zip code in my state had Privs available for store pick up.

There's a lot more that transpired. It made it the worst online shopping experience I've ever known. My cart vanished 2 times in one shopping session...for real?!!? Well, it is all in the rear view now. I've taken delivery on The BlackBerry Priv! I'm a part of the evolution of a brand I've been loyal to for almost a decade.

In the back of my mind, I'm making statements that I didn't expect. Stuff like "I will like Android", "This might be my last BlackBerry ". Later for all of that pessimism. BB just does it for me. As long as they are in the game, then I'm in it with them. Here I go...

Posted via CB10
    It will take you a few days to get used to Priv / Android OS but the transition is not that bad especially as the Hub has been reasonably well implemented on Android. I miss some BB10 features and functionality but these are offset by good Android features and functionality.

FF22 likes this.
    09-03-16 07:30 AM
    There will always be a better phone.... well maybe, it's possible that the PRIV will be the last CDMA BlackBerry... ever.
    I hope so! CDMA needs to die already!

09-03-16 10:08 AM
    Here I go...Content transfer will begin soon. Got in late last night, and did nothing more than sniff the phone to inhale that new-gadget-electronic-smell a few dozen times.

Looking at Verizon's website vs BlackBerry's, it seems Verizon wants me to purchase cloud storage to back up and transfer content. Meanwhile, BlackBerry's mode of content transfer doesn't appear to cost a thing. Am I missing something? Don't want to leave anything behind, but can't imagine how I can lose anything going the BlackBerry route.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    09-03-16 10:21 AM
    I didn't bother with using BlackBerry transfer, all my contacts automatically synced when I set up my email accounts and my photos and files are stored on a SD card which Physically transferred. The BlackBerry transfer does not do much more.

When you setup a Google account you can get some free space and do a backup there

09-03-16 10:53 AM
    Here I go...Content transfer will begin soon. Got in late last night, and did nothing more than sniff the phone to inhale that new-gadget-electronic-smell a few dozen times.

Looking at Verizon's website vs BlackBerry's, it seems Verizon wants me to purchase cloud storage to back up and transfer content. Meanwhile, BlackBerry's mode of content transfer doesn't appear to cost a thing. Am I missing something? Don't want to leave anything behind, but can't imagine how I can lose anything going the BlackBerry route.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know what Verizon offers. Content Transfer worked for me but I think I only used it for Remember (Notes on the Priv) and Text (SMS). I do not remember if I used it for Contacts and Calendar (back in March). I believe that I relied on my google email (and associated calendar and contacts) to sync the Calendar and Contacts.

As suggested, most of my other files were on the sd-card. I did have some odds and ends like the picture I use for my wallpaper and lock screen in Internal Memory and similar types of files, pictures, documents. I manually copied them to my computer under a Z30-Internal-Memory folder and then copied that manually to the Priv in a reasonable folder.
    09-03-16 11:33 AM
    Now that I'm almost done setting up my Priv, I can testify to a few things: the phone really does get hot! I noticed it coincided with app updates taking place in the background, so maybe it won't always get hot to the touch. Battery life isn't impressive but I'm wondering if it's more of the same issue where there are background processes taking place on top of me plugging away to get things set up.

On the issue of, the documents I transferred will not open. These are primarily Word Docs, but I get "Unable to open file" when trying to view them. Could it be there's an app I need to download for them to be read? If memory serves, I may have created some of then in Docs To Go.

The learning curve is real, but I do like it far.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    09-04-16 05:30 PM
    I hope so! CDMA needs to die already!

BlackBerry not making a CDMA variant isn't going to make it go away and with Verizon still using it for now it's going to be around for a good while longer

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    09-04-16 06:31 PM
    Now that I'm almost done setting up my Priv, I can testify to a few things: the phone really does get hot! I noticed it coincided with app updates taking place in the background, so maybe it won't always get hot to the touch. Battery life isn't impressive but I'm wondering if it's more of the same issue where there are background processes taking place on top of me plugging away to get things set up.

On the issue of, the documents I transferred will not open. These are primarily Word Docs, but I get "Unable to open file" when trying to view them. Could it be there's an app I need to download for them to be read? If memory serves, I may have created some of then in Docs To Go.

The learning curve is real, but I do like it far.

Posted via CB10
    Ok, I'm mostly a lurker here but it's time to start giving something to the community who gave me so much. Plus, I'm a reporter so I think to have a somewhat realistic idea of your phone usage.
    I've got my PRIV a few month ago, it has been sold to me with the first MM release. Yes, the phone was getting hot, and the battery was going down the toilet and -- although using it heavily -- I hardly went more than half a day with a single charge. Now I'm with the August update and I'm overwhelmingly happy with this phone: it's almost matching the battery life of my previous iPhone 6 Plus and it doesn't feel like having a nuclear reactor in my pocket anymore. So, have patience and wait for Verizon to drop MM and rest assured your user experience will skyrocket.
    As for the docs, the PRIV -- at least mine -- get shipped with Google's docs, sheets and presentations which should work out of the box if you didn't disable them. I've dumped them in favor of the original MS apps and never got a problem, but you should note that you need to be an Office365 subscriber to edit documents, otherwise you can only open them. There are plenty of office apps substitutes in the Play Store however, some of them free.
    As other already said, the beloved timeshift isn't there in the BlackBerry camera app for Android, however i suppose you could find some replacement in the Store. Otherwise you can use the equivalen of photo burst in bb10 just with a long press of the shutter button in the app.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-04-16 06:50 PM
37 12