I think that the overall lack of effective advertising is what killed the Z10 and other newer BlackBerry phones with the general public. Of course, hiring Alicia Keys certainly didn't help. BlackBerry seems to be putting their future in the hardware business on the line with the sales figures for the new Priv, so I hope they spend some of that cash on hand I keep hearing about and put some inspiring commercials on TV, the Internet, YouTube, or wherever people go to now for information and entertainment.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 08:18 AM
    High Price, mediocre hardware, immature and buggy OS, and almost NONE of the big Apps (Candy Crush or Instagram) back at that time - is what killed the Z10 within the first 90 days of it's life. Marketing and Advertising within that first 90 Days did exist.... maybe not on the level of Apple or Samsung, and maybe not in all markets. But US, there were commercial and print adds for BB10, Z10 and the Q10.... there were units in the carriers and there were displays and posters.

I agree if BlackBerry is serious about hardware, and they are going after the consumer market... they have to spend a lot of money on advertising that BlackBerry is not dead and that their new device isn't like those old BlackBerries.

I'm just not sure yet how committed Chen is to the PRIV or hardware in general.
    Joao Oliveira and JeepBB like this.
    10-14-15 08:45 AM
    Z10 and Q10 was exactly what we call "too little too late"
    10-14-15 09:00 AM
    they have to spend a lot of money on advertising that BlackBerry is not dead and that their new device isn't like those old BlackBerries.
    "This is not your father's BlackBerry".

Jonneh likes this.
    10-14-15 09:07 AM
    They don't have a very large marketing team

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 09:07 AM
    They don't have a very large marketing team
    I think they'll have to hire one.... based on the marketing they have been doing. It was a part time position for one person at best.
    pat-wallace likes this.
    10-14-15 09:18 AM
    10-14-15 10:37 AM
    The Priv should sell itself once is out in the field for some time. My son was impressed by the keyboard and he is a apple fan.
    11-07-15 02:54 PM
    They didn't have to go all out with advertising but they should have done a lot more than pretty much nothing! No press conference/formal announcement. No signs at retailers. And obviously no television commercials. How is the general public supposed to know about it? Only way they would know is if they follow tech sites. I don't understand the logic of this company.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-07-15 03:15 PM
    I think they'll have to hire one.... based on the marketing they have been doing. It was a part time position for one person at best.
    No they don't. It is outsourced. Apple does it as well. Every consumer product company does. You have a few in house marketing to help enterprise sales teams and to oversee those outsourced marketing companies but that's it. No different why companies don't hire teams of lawyers. They outsource to firms because they are more experienced and better at it.

posted from my Priv!
    11-07-15 03:50 PM
    I think they should start the media push once the device is actually in Stock..

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 04:22 PM