My wife cracked her screen and it only displays a few green vertical lines once in a while. I'm hoping there's a way I can back up texts or do a full backup without the screen. USB debugging is not enabled.

Is there a way to get the device to show up on adb through the recovery mode? I could not figure it out.

Thanks,
    Alex
    02-07-17 09:17 PM
    My wife cracked her screen and it only displays a few green vertical lines once in a while. I'm hoping there's a way I can back up texts or do a full backup without the screen. USB debugging is not enabled.

Is there a way to get the device to show up on adb through the recovery mode? I could not figure it out.

Thanks,
    Alex
    Sorry about that. I am not very familiar with any of the so-called Mirror apps.

But if the device is useful - that is, if it still reacts appropriately to touch and swipes, if you can find another Priv to run in parallel, You could install something like Airdroid and run it, then run the Browser mode on a computer and open files/folders and start copying things. All the while copying finger positions on the bad screen Priv and hoping that it works like it does on the fully working Priv. I think Airdroid can even do Screenshots, so you could work through various screens taking pictures. If you had not setup Backup in Main Settings, that could be done, too.

In summary, install Airdroid (or similar) on good Priv, Open Play store on bad priv and do same. Run air droid and good and follow on bad, etc.

Good luck.
    02-07-17 10:28 PM
    Interesting idea to mirror touches. I guess I would have to hope she had her device search set to respond to keyboard to start google play because she had voice recognition off. She probably kept the app tray icon in the default place, so I guess that would work. But I would probably be able to get to settings and enable USB debugging more easily, then use adb to back up.

I noticed I could unlock it even though there's no display, so I ordered a slimport HDMI adapter and I'll attempt to pair a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and go that route. Thanks for the suggestion!.
    FF22 and john_v like this.
    02-07-17 10:57 PM
    Interesting idea to mirror touches. I guess I would have to hope she had her device search set to respond to keyboard to start google play because she had voice recognition off. She probably kept the app tray icon in the default place, so I guess that would work. But I would probably be able to get to settings and enable USB debugging more easily, then use adb to back up.

I noticed I could unlock it even though there's no display, so I ordered a slimport HDMI adapter and I'll attempt to pair a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and go that route. Thanks for the suggestion!.
    Oh, that's a good idea. Hope it works out.
    02-07-17 11:43 PM