Priv battery had always done okay, especially compared to my Classic. Last week I pulled the phone out in direct sunlight and could barely see the display, so I turned on Adaptive Brightness (under Display in the Settings menu). The screen was much easier to read, so I decided to leave it on and see what happened.

Suddenly, battery life took a haircut. I noticed rapid drops whenever the device was being used. You could see defined sharp drops on the Battery Usage chart, and then plateaus when turned off.

Remembering I had turned on Adaptive Brightness, I turned it off. Life is good again.
    12-24-15 11:39 AM
    Obviously maximizing brightness under the sun will drain the battery. You spend a lot of time outdoors with your phone out I imagine
    12-24-15 11:58 AM
    Not really any more than anyone else. I do spend a lot of time around bright overhead lighting.

I do notice a distinct difference, even indoors at the office, when switching between Adaptive Brightness and where I'd normally keep brightness for my typical viewing. I prefer subdued lighting. I like linux.
    12-24-15 12:55 PM
    I had the same observation earlier on, but the difference seemed more like a 10% hit throughout the day.
    I tried turning it off, but the brightness is hard to nail down to where it's comfortable to view in different situations so I found myself tweaking it more and more.

Finally, I just reverted to the adaptive mode and am happy to live with a small hit for the benefit of the consistent view.
    12-24-15 01:11 PM
    Of note, tmobile has a setting to maximize battery in the tmobile app that turns adaptive screen off.

When I use this setting, I notice much stronger battery life.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-24-15 01:12 PM
    Is the priv auto brightness as good as BlackBerry 10? On my nexus 5 it's not impressive at all
    12-24-15 06:32 PM
    No; Android's base algorithm sucks.

Several years ago I completely re-wrote that piece of code for the Motorola Triumph after being extremely unhappy with the 'performance' of it on that device.

There are two problems -- lux sensors tend to be non-linear and the way it is computed in the base code and then translated into the brightness for the panel is stupid. Why AOSP hasn't fixed these problems over the years is beyond me, but I've seen the same issue with virtually every Android handset I've ever picked up before or since.....
    12-25-15 09:15 AM
    So was the battery drain due to the adaptive brightness algorithm or the fact that when you turned it on it tended to go towards max brightness more often than when it was off? I'm probably guessing it's the latter.
    12-25-15 10:33 AM
    Priv battery had always done okay, especially compared to my Classic. Last week I pulled the phone out in direct sunlight and could barely see the display, so I turned on Adaptive Brightness (under Display in the Settings menu). The screen was much easier to read, so I decided to leave it on and see what happened.

Suddenly, battery life took a haircut. I noticed rapid drops whenever the device was being used. You could see defined sharp drops on the Battery Usage chart, and then plateaus when turned off.

Remembering I had turned on Adaptive Brightness, I turned it off. Life is good again.
    You must remember two things:

1. Adaptive Brightness ramps up the brightness to more Nits than the highest you are allowed in Manual.

2. AMOLED displays are great when handling darker colours, but if you Adaptive On and also web browsing, chances are most pages are white and AMOLED's are extremely inefficient when displaying brighter colours especially white as it uses the complete RGB setup on each pixel, so you have a display going at +500 Nits and every pixel lit up at its max capacity, battery is bound to take a huge hit.
    12-25-15 10:43 AM
    You must remember two things:

1. Adaptive Brightness ramps up the brightness to more Nits than the highest you are allowed in Manual.

2. AMOLED displays are great when handling darker colours, but if you Adaptive On and also web browsing, chances are most pages are white and AMOLED's are extremely inefficient when displaying brighter colours especially white as it uses the complete RGB setup on each pixel, so you have a display going at +500 Nits and every pixel lit up at its max capacity, battery is bound to take a huge hit.
    So based on your arguments, we should turn it off?
    12-25-15 10:55 AM
    So based on your arguments, we should turn it off?
    Yep, turn off Adaptive Display (Auto Brightness).

I have had nothing but AMOLED phones since I got the Nokia N8 back in 2010, and I always turned Auto Brightness Off and only use it when outside.

Samsung from the GS2 began including an option that Adjusts Screen Tone depending on the image on the Display, so as to lessen the effect of Auto Brightness. So e.g. with my current Note 4 when I land on a white page when web browsing it turns down all the pixels displaying white to save power, most other phone makers who use AMOLED seem not to have this option, which creates a disaster when you have Auto Brightness On.
    12-25-15 11:03 AM
    Turn it off. Turn it off permanently (for advanced users).

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵαssρσяτ SE via CB10 (cricket OS 10.3.2.2876) вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv via CB for Android 2.0.3 (TMo OS Lollipop 5.1.1)
    12-25-15 11:51 AM
    Off guys!
    Always off and adjust manually prn.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-25-15 04:03 PM
    Some of the best money you'll ever spend. Glowing reviews. Pun intended.
    Lux Auto Brightness (Free ver. available as well)
    12-25-15 07:06 PM