At the end of the day... blackberry should stay the hell away from google.

This is what makes BB a win.. no google at all... no nsa sh!t lol
    midnightdoom likes this.
    07-06-15 01:05 PM
    I think these types of topics shouldn't be allowed unless the source is reputable, and "anonymous reddit user" isn't reputable.

You know, if BlackBerry IS trying to keep BB10 running, and sell devices that currently run BB10, all this talk of them ABANDONING BB10 and switching to Android harms BlackBerry.
    07-06-15 01:08 PM
    You know, if BlackBerry IS trying to keep BB10 running, and sell devices that currently run BB10, all this talk of them ABANDONING BB10 and switching to Android harms BlackBerry.
    And if BlackBerry is that intent on keeping BB10 going, they could squash all these rumors with a single tweet, along the lines of, "We have no plans to launch any Android phones in the foreseeable future. We are fully committed to BB10."

This rumor obviously has legs, and BlackBerry is doing nothing to cut them off.
    07-06-15 01:24 PM
    The company formally know as Research in Motion has historically had tons of prototypes. The purpose of this prototype is really what should be debated. Like Samsung and BlackBerry already are working on devices together for secure Android experiences what says this isnt expanding that role. Or better, the group in charge of hardware for testing has a limited number of devices (you know control costs) and they have builds for various projects that work on that limited subset of protos or even still that the protos are cross platform testing devices plain and simple.
    07-06-15 01:28 PM
    Lack of BB gestures and Hub might be a deal breaker for me.
    seletok likes this.
    07-06-15 01:40 PM
    I think these types of topics shouldn't be allowed unless the source is reputable, and "anonymous reddit user" isn't reputable.

Where else are these rumours circulating? I only see them here or a few other BlackBerry loyal sites (who I only know exists from links I see here on CB). The consumer that BlackBerry needs to attract are not reading these sites. In fact they hardly know that BlackBerry still sells phones as is evident every time someone looks at my Classic and says, "you still use BlackBerry? Those phones still work?"
    I doubt BlackBerry itself is aware of the amount of discussion going on here at CB. Users here make up a small percentage of what little base they have or hope to attract.

Posted via CB10
    tufcustomer likes this.
    07-06-15 01:54 PM
    Where else are these rumours circulating?
    Reuters isn't just a fan site. It's a major news source, and the most recent wave of rumor started there.

Again, BlackBerry could easily put all to rest with a single tweet. Chen himself managed to not deny it when given the opportunity to do so.
    07-06-15 03:03 PM
    I'm sorry. I don't believe any of it. Especially not the guy on rededit. Blackberry Security built into Android. What BB security? People throw the 'S' word around all the time without giving the first thought to what that means. The idea that BB did in one year what a joint task force of the CIA, FBI, and HLS took several years to do - make a hardened/ secure Android kernel is almost preposterous. The only thing BB could do would be to force encrypt all data coming into and out of the device (sort of like the old NOC days). This would certainly slow the device down though.
    07-06-15 03:11 PM
    According to a reddit user. He got a chance to play with the slider. He says everything seems to be top notch in terms of specs, but thee os is running android with a BlackBerry layer on top. A little disappointing that it's not running bb10...

Posted via CB10
    A little disappointed you didn't link to source.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 03:36 PM
    A little disappointed you didn't link to source.

Posted via CB10
    http://www.reddit.com/r/blackberry/c...kberry_venice/

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    BCITMike likes this.
    07-06-15 03:37 PM
    At the end of the day... blackberry should stay the hell away from google.

This is what makes BB a win.. no google at all... no nsa sh!t lol
    No google at all??? Who's open source code do you think BlackBerry uses for the ANDROID Player?

And what would you have them do... just keep watching sales fall? Have you checked the release date on half the apps in BlackBerry world?

Change is coming... maybe it's Android, maybe it's an app only solution. But change there will be.
    07-06-15 03:41 PM
    No google at all??? Who's open source code do you think BlackBerry uses for the ANDROID Player?
    I believe you should re-think the question
    Open source and 'owns' are two words that don't go together well.
    Hint: Reason why the Android Player sits on earlier version ?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 04:18 PM
    Clicked the link. No pic = troll.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 04:25 PM
    For someone who only had 5 minutes with it and may not be familiar with BB10, they could easily mistake "runs Android apps" with "runs Android". And I've got Google Play on my Z10, maybe the owner was trying out Cobalt's solution?

I'm not sure this validates nor invalidates the rumor(s). At least it's good to know the slider has progressed from being a mock up.
    07-06-15 05:07 PM

And what would you have them do... just keep watching sales fall? Have you checked the release date on half the apps in BlackBerry world?

Change is coming... maybe it's Android, maybe it's an app only solution. But change there will be.
    Google has been contributing less and less to Android over the years and putting it more into their Play services.
    07-06-15 05:23 PM
    ..... And I've got Google Play on my Z10, maybe the owner was trying out Cobalt's solution?
    You don't have Google Play Services on your Z10. Cobalt's software is a way to help work around that issue.
    07-06-15 06:12 PM
    I wouldnt want a BlackBerry strictly running android! Whats next? A Lambourghini with a 4 cyl hyundai tuscon engine under the hood?

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    Did they announce this car? Nothing wrong with that; I'd be very affordable. =0)

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 06:59 PM
    For someone who only had 5 minutes with it and may not be familiar with BB10, they could easily mistake "runs Android apps" with "runs Android". And I've got Google Play on my Z10, maybe the owner was trying out Cobalt's solution?

I'm not sure this validates nor invalidates the rumor(s). At least it's good to know the slider has progressed from being a mock up.
    While entirely possible it's also entirely possible it was legitimate android. This is the problem with these, one can never know for sure.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 07:57 PM
    While entirely possible it's also entirely possible it was legitimate android. This is the problem with these, one can never know for sure.

Posted via CB10
    There's definitely a lot of gray area. It's odd how detailed the person is in some things while only having 5 minutes with it.
    07-06-15 08:30 PM
    According to a reddit user. He got a chance to play with the slider. He says everything seems to be top notch in terms of specs, but thee os is running android with a BlackBerry layer on top. A little disappointing that it's not running bb10...Posted via CB10
    This is what the reddit user actually said: "The OS... its multi-layered. It’s Android but its first layer is BlackBerry. Basically your phone is running Lollipop with BlackBerry’s security features added. There's an app for these features to control permissions and such. That being said, there is Google Play services. Finally....From what I saw (which was very limited), there was no hub. Its basically your typical android OS, backed by BlackBerry’s security features."

What he describes is a phone that looks like "your typical android OS". That would suggest that Android is running on top of BlackBerry, not " Android with a BlackBerry layer on top". This prototype phone may not represent the final configuration of the slider. It may simply be a way to get feedback on a BlackBerry 10 phone with the QNX Hypervisor running the full Android OS. The production version could be a BB10 phone complete with Hub and gestures that replaces the current Android app runtime player with the Android OS running under the Hypervisor.

If the phone is "backed by BlackBerry’s security features," it would be unlikely that BlackBerry is not using it's own QNX OS to do this.
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 07-07-15 at 01:31 AM.
    07-07-15 01:18 AM
    Reuters isn't just a fan site. It's a major news source, and the most recent wave of rumor started there.

Again, BlackBerry could easily put all to rest with a single tweet. Chen himself managed to not deny it when given the opportunity to do so.
    Well, they might be testing the waters plus the amount of coverage BlackBerry has received because of this rumour is significant and most of them are positive. So why put them to rest?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 01:59 AM
    Just to remind some people, if the slider does run android some features we take for granted will not be on android such as multitasking. You can't play a youtube song go to a different app and have it playing, hell you can't even go to a different tab! There's no way the hub can be integrated without you having to download an app and that seems counter intuitive. I have the top of the line xperia z4 tablet and it's great but even with the best specs it's a huge memory hog.

Posted via CB10
    ViceroyPete likes this.
    07-07-15 02:27 AM
    I wouldnt want a BlackBerry strictly running android! Whats next? A Lambourghini with a 4 cyl hyundai tuscon engine under the hood?

Lol that would be insane.

Posted via king z10
    07-07-15 02:43 AM

More like the other way around
    07-07-15 06:39 AM
    I wouldn't mind if there were two versions one with bb10 and one with android. But if there's only an android version, that kills me a little, might actually have to jump ship to ios

Posted via CB10
    If it will bring the same experience, who cares that the underlying OS changed? I'm mostly pissed that I have BB10 apps that I don't want to loose. But I mostly want the Hub and if that's I nteh Android version I am going to be a happy camper.
    07-07-15 07:08 AM
113 1234 ...