Overheating is NOT a typical symptom of a dead battery. The Priv heats when something uses a lot of cpu (and draws power from the battery). So look for any rouge app (pre installed or installed by you). Could be a recent update that messed up the app. Try to pinpoint what app(s) that are using a lot of battery. Look at my other posts.

(And boots can be the devices attempted last resort on overheating)

Typical symptoms of a dead battery would be short stamina even when 'nothing' is running, or sudden drops to/towards 0% estimated battery capacity.
    Thanks, but I think not. It has the same behavior in "Safe" mode (when apps are not loaded) and does NOT do this while being charged. I have incrementally removed 90% of all apps (no success. )I will do the battery (if that doesn't work) I will reload the OS and if that doesn't work - time for a new phone! Who has TIME for this?
    07-09-18 10:18 AM
    Thanks, but I think not. It has the same behavior in "Safe" mode (when apps are not loaded) and does NOT do this while being charged. I have incrementally removed 90% of all apps (no success. )I will do the battery (if that doesn't work) I will reload the OS and if that doesn't work - time for a new phone! Who has TIME for this?
    The sad part is that there are no new device available if you like a keyboard slider. But of course you can buy a new Priv at a reasonable price today
    On your existing Priv: I will be very surprised if a battery change fixes it. My starting point would be to (temporarilly?) install something like GSAM or 3C to find out what is really going on. They can also give a fairly estimate on how much of the capacity your battery got left, after a charge cycle.
    07-09-18 12:38 PM
    I don't need the keyboard anymore, it was a good transition though! I will look into those two apps you mention, I put a "repair app" on, it found nothing and then a battery check app, if found 9 bad sectors and said it fixed them (both of those apps have been since removed. ALL the reboot sequences (up to 32 second) and Safe booting have not resolved it. I am sitting here at my office and it is charging, currently it is at 78% and 2 hr. 26 min. to complete. The phone is cool as a cucumber, as soon as I unplug it will go into "antics". The phone is worthless right now unless it is on a charger.

Thanks for your help though, very much appreciated!
    07-09-18 01:28 PM
    I don't need the keyboard anymore, it was a good transition though! I will look into those two apps you mention, I put a "repair app" on, it found nothing and then a battery check app, if found 9 bad sectors and said it fixed them (both of those apps have been since removed. ALL the reboot sequences (up to 32 second) and Safe booting have not resolved it. I am sitting here at my office and it is charging, currently it is at 78% and 2 hr. 26 min. to complete. The phone is cool as a cucumber, as soon as I unplug it will go into "antics". The phone is worthless right now unless it is on a charger.

A KEYone or KEY2 would get you MUCH better battery life
    07-09-18 05:18 PM

You're welcome. Well if no need for a keyboard - I guess it will not be hard to find alternatives
    It is really odd, that you get this heating pattern.
    Please post back once you swapped the battery if it fixed it.
    07-10-18 03:34 AM
    A KEYone or KEY2 would get you MUCH better battery life
    Not an ideal suggestion to take up a third of the surface area with a keyboard he/she SPECIFICALLY explained was not needed any more...
    07-10-18 03:37 AM
    OK, replacement battery fixed MUCH of the problem, just an occasional reboot or two . The battery wasn't easy to replace and I weakened the back case. The old battery was near jello. I don't particularly trust this unit anymore. You mentioned earlier I could purchase a replacement PRIV and save a couple bucks? Where might I do that?
    07-10-18 02:53 PM
    OK, replacement battery fixed MUCH of the problem, just an occasional reboot or two . The battery wasn't easy to replace and I weakened the back case. The old battery was near jello. I don't particularly trust this unit anymore. You mentioned earlier I could purchase a replacement PRIV and save a couple bucks? Where might I do that?
    Great that it fixed it - really surprised. On the reboots. Well is shouldn't! I would try to apply a fresh Autoloader image, this should clean up absolutely everything
    https://us.blackberry.com/support/sm...roid-OS-Reload

I have seen them on ebay still sold as "new", so old stock I guess
    07-10-18 11:37 PM
    FYI - Performed OS reload last night, process went perfect, 3-4 hours worth of recovery processing. Phone reboots real fast now, but it is STILL randomly rebooting. Enough of that! I purchased an unlocked (new) unit off Target of all places (NOT sold in stores). I will survive until next Tues when it comes in. None of the newer phones have a near decent camera, also the keyboards on the face prevent one from being placed in a pocket easily. Anyway - Thank You for all your help!!
    EskeRahn likes this.
    07-11-18 12:51 PM
    FYI - Performed OS reload last night, process went perfect, 3-4 hours worth of recovery processing. Phone reboots real fast now, but it is STILL randomly rebooting. Enough of that! I purchased an unlocked (new) unit off Target of all places (NOT sold in stores). I will survive until next Tues when it comes in. None of the newer phones have a near decent camera, also the keyboards on the face prevent one from being placed in a pocket easily. Anyway - Thank You for all your help!!
    You're welcome.
    Interesting! something must be damaged with the chip-cooling then? Good luck with the new specimen.
    07-12-18 12:01 AM
    I have a KEYone and it goes in my pocket with no issues at all...
    bibbula likes this.
    07-12-18 05:53 PM
    I just got a replacement PRIV with V.5. Build and it will NOT download the updates after going through ALL the hurtles with Google Play above. Even the auto loader doesn't work. I am getting sick of this device.
    07-14-18 03:48 AM
    I just got a replacement PRIV with V.5. Build and it will NOT download the updates after going through ALL the hurtles with Google Play above. Even the auto loader doesn't work. I am getting sick of this device.
    You have really been unlucky, too bad! What does the Autoloader do? Reporting any error? It might be worth a go to remove the sim and use WiFi only during the process. Some have reported luck with that in here.
    07-15-18 12:42 AM
    Do you get the notice for the update? If you do, and the procedure doe not work for you. clear the cache and do a 32 second restart, then try it again.
    07-15-18 11:27 AM
    Do you get the notice for the update? If you do, and the procedure doe not work for you. clear the cache and do a 32 second restart, then try it again.
    It was 2:30 in the morning and ended up taking that near 2GB download 4 hrs to install (the screen wasn't dead, but sure did not seem like it was downloading). This was on a 5.4 ghzwifi. It took another couple hours to optimize and reset. Technology had become burdensome! All is well, up and running. The end story of this rant, is you are NOT in control.
    PHughes likes this.
    07-15-18 12:37 PM
    It was 2:30 in the morning and ended up taking that near 2GB download 4 hrs to install (the screen wasn't dead, but sure did not seem like it was downloading). This was on a 5.4 ghzwifi. It took another couple hours to optimize and reset. Technology had become burdensome! All is well, up and running. The end story of this rant, is you are NOT in control.
    Good to hear.
    07-15-18 01:35 PM
    You have really been unlucky, too bad! What does the Autoloader do? Reporting any error? It might be worth a go to remove the sim and use WiFi only during the process. Some have reported luck with that in here.
    Please excuse my chipping in.

However, this may have to do with Google "Play Service" having some internal security change.

It may even show a notice to the effect "apps cannot be installed until Play Service is updated" .

I recently did a factory reset on my PRIV and had a shock after it seems it was taking forever to update the apps.

What I learned here is Google was in the background installing their recent "security scanning of the apps" software.

My PRIV look like it had gone dead as nothing appears to be happening. It was not until Google security scanning software had finished all the apps began to update.

I hope this may be of some help to others.

Kind regards.
    07-15-18 02:40 PM
    Have any other of you noticed after the recent BlackBerry apps updates your PRIVs ruining much faster hot and excessive draining of your battery.

My PRIV is experiencing this and I'm constantly getting the notice "phone is getting hot and taking steps to cool down" .

Your feedback will be appreciated.

Kind regards.
    07-15-18 02:46 PM
    Have any other of you noticed after the recent BlackBerry apps updates your PRIVs ruining much faster hot and excessive draining of your battery.

My PRIV is experiencing this and I'm constantly getting the notice "phone is getting hot and taking steps to cool down" .

Kind regards.
    Attached Thumbnails AAW068 update - what's new?-notable-00003.jpg  
    07-15-18 05:29 PM

Kind regards.
    If anything mine is lasting even longer on a charge - but of course I'm quite rigouous in uninstalling/disabling/killing the stuff I do not need
    07-15-18 09:38 PM
    If anything mine is lasting even longer on a charge - but of course I'm quite rigouous in uninstalling/disabling/killing the stuff I do not need
    EskeRahn
    Thank you kindly for your response.

I've also disabled the apps I don't use and have restricted almost all the apps from background data usage.

I just can't get my head around why all of a sudden following the BlackBerry apps updates my PRIV is having heating issues.

I'm about to roll back (uninstalling) these BlackBerry updates to resolve this problem.

It would be more than strange if I'm the only one to have this problem??
    07-15-18 10:09 PM
    I only got about 18 months out of my last PRIV. The overheating is likely the result of a bad processor in my case. My symptoms were overheating an d constant rebooting. I even tried replacing the battery, that was the last resort. Then I got an unlocked new phone and spent about 12 hrs. downloading the 6.1 OS upgrade security patches and reconfiguring.
    07-15-18 11:39 PM
    On mine the AAW068 update itself went quite smoothly, but it was surprisingly slow in reinstalling the Android Market stuff - took longer than the update...
    But good news that you finally got it all working on the new specimen.
    07-16-18 03:56 AM
    I only got about 18 months out of my last PRIV. The overheating is likely the result of a bad processor in my case. My symptoms were overheating an d constant rebooting. I even tried replacing the battery, that was the last resort. Then I got an unlocked new phone and spent about 12 hrs. downloading the 6.1 OS upgrade security patches and reconfiguring.
    I have seen other threads where some have opened the Priv and had applied slightly more thermal paste. My GUESS would be that could be the issue with your old one, that the chipset does not get the cooling it needs. Note that it is NOT just applying a lot, the optimal is to have thin layer that covers the entire contact surface without any bubbles/holes. Others in here know much more on this than me.
    07-16-18 04:05 AM
    Hi Team, I have an 18 month old PRIV that took a processor dump and I purchase an unlocked replacement on the open market. Is there someplace I can send my OLD PRIV for repair? Thanks in advance.
    07-16-18 04:43 PM
708 ... 26272829