Thanks, if your assumption is correct why is it that as it seems that so many other PRIV owners have yet to receive this (mystery) update?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    04-19-18 02:22 PM
    Bob, I don't understand how these updates work. I should like to think that the update are push from BlackBerry and are not depending on the local carriers. It would be interesting to know if anyone has done the update with a WiFi connection?
    04-19-18 02:24 PM
    It would be appreciated if Bla1ze would clarify the situation???
    04-19-18 02:30 PM
    Bob, I don't understand how these updates work. I should like to think that the update are push from BlackBerry and are not depending on the local carriers. It would be interesting to know if anyone has done the update with a WiFi connection?
    If you have a factory unlocked Priv, bought from BlackBerry, you would get the update from BlackBerry. If your phone was bought from a carrier, you would get it from the carrier. You might want to actually read this thread, it has been explained over and over.
    Gigolo69 likes this.
    04-19-18 02:40 PM
    Interesting, my PRIV is factory unlocked and is from BlackBerry. But still no update notice for my PRIV?
    04-19-18 02:46 PM
    It would be interesting to know if anyone has done the update with a WiFi connection
    Given the size (0.1GB) I guess you will ONLY get it offered if connected to WiFi.
    04-19-18 02:48 PM
    If you have a factory unlocked Priv, bought from BlackBerry, you would get the update from BlackBerry. If your phone was bought from a carrier, you would get it from the carrier. You might want to actually read this thread, it has been explained over and over.
    ADD: Those of us on branded AT&T devices whitelisted for debloated software also get it.
    (I have not heard of any carrier modified variant of it offered - yet)
    Gigolo69 likes this.
    04-19-18 02:51 PM
    Did you get your notice ONLY when you connected to WiFi??

I'll try tomorrow when I can connect to a WiFi to see if I may get lucky?
    04-19-18 03:01 PM
    Unfortunately, we do not have AT&T in the United Kingdom.
    04-19-18 03:03 PM
    Unfortunately, we do not have AT&T in the United Kingdom.
    *fortunately
    Wezard, EskeRahn, PHughes and 2 others like this.
    04-19-18 03:04 PM
    I found this interesting read here on this CrackBerry site.

For as good as BlackBerry has been about offering up release notes for their monthly security updates, when it comes to issuing release notes for any one specific OS update, they have been slightly less reliable. The last batch of release notes was made available on December 7, 2015, for OS AAD027 and AAD028. But now that Android 6.0.1 has arrived, BlackBerry has made available the release notes for OS AAE570.
    04-19-18 03:17 PM
    I found this interesting read here on this CrackBerry site

For as good as BlackBerry has been about offering up release notes for their monthly security updates, when it comes to issuing release notes for any one specific OS update, they have been slightly less reliable. The last batch of release notes was made available on December 7, 2015, for OS AAD027 and AAD028. But now that Android 6.0.1 has arrived, BlackBerry has made available the release notes for OS AAE570
    04-19-18 03:18 PM
    It would be appreciated if Bla1ze would clarify the situation???
    There are about 30-50 specific Priv variants, and each one is controlled independently as far as updates are concerned. Variants are used to separate carriers and/or regions, so each can receive an update whenever it is deemed appropriate.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    04-19-18 03:40 PM
    I think it's in the menu of the music app with a corded headphone attached to the port
    04-19-18 05:03 PM
    I don't need to hear the typical AT&T BS they spew when it comes to asking about updates
    You should call 8 times, and let us know how many different answers you get.
    I'm betting - 5, "there is no update"
    2, "we're 'testing' it"
    and - 1, "BlackBerry hasn't sent it to us yet"
    EskeRahn, Bob80220 and PHughes like this.
    04-19-18 05:09 PM
    Did you get your notice ONLY when you connected to WiFi??
    Only tried with WiFi. BUT the message indicates that it might NOT be needed
    "We recommend that you connect to a Wi-Fi network before ..... "
    https://eskerahn.dk/wordpress/wp-con...413-212135.png
    04-19-18 06:32 PM
    I think it's in the menu of the music app with a corded headphone attached to the port
    It does give a "Headset connected" / "Headset disconnected" bottom right - I do not recall if it was there before. I found no build in function added for assigning an action on connect/disconnect (yes I know there are third party apps related to that)
    04-19-18 06:39 PM
    @EskeRahn -

Thanks for your help. I'm a bit confused as I tried to read this whole thread in one sitting.

I'm in US using carrier-unlocked (by request) AT&T STV100-1 running AAQ289. Am I correct in understanding that there is a way to remove bloatware from this device by trying to install an older OS?

At that point, I'll just have to sit and wait for AAW068 whenever AT&T releases it? (Same as today, I suppose)

Then, if that's the case, OTA update to AAW068 will push the AT&T bloat back to the device?

Did I understand properly? If I am interested in de-bloating my phone, even temporarily while awaiting AT&T to push the update, any recommendation for an autoloader to get to AAQ280 for an STV100-1?

Thanks again.
    04-19-18 11:00 PM
    @EskeRahn -

Thanks for your help. I'm a bit confused as I tried to read this whole thread in one sitting.

I'm in US using carrier-unlocked (by request) AT&T STV100-1 running AAQ289. Am I correct in understanding that there is a way to remove bloatware from this device by trying to install an older OS?

At that point, I'll just have to sit and wait for AAW068 whenever AT&T releases it? (Same as today, I suppose)

Then, if that's the case, OTA update to AAW068 will push the AT&T bloat back to the device?

Did I understand properly? If I am interested in de-bloating my phone, even temporarily while awaiting AT&T to push the update, any recommendation for an autoloader to get to AAQ280 for an STV100-1?

Thanks again.
    Unfortunately you can not (to my knowledge).

Let me try to summarize the whole mess:

As I understand it, at some point around October 2016, BB and AT&T made a deal so all branded AT&T devices, that had never been used with "an active AT&T sim" were put on a 'whitelist' (their IMEI), that allowed them to be OTA-updated with the native image directly from BB (and thus get debloated).

The official statement -that is slightly inaccurate though- can be found here.

The "Please note" is not entirely correct though! I bought mine unlocked, but actually got it locked in a sealed box, but with a piece of paper with an unlock code attached, that I immediately entered - and mine is on the whitelist.

It is unclear if this was a one-off thing, or also applies to devices activated after that date

If in doubt: If you ever got an OTA update to a new AT&T version, you're device is NOT on the whitelist.

The devices on the whitelist are still branded, so if ever in need to apply an autoloader, only the branded ones will do. BUT any OTA updates are the debloated ones. (Hence the suggestion to apply an OLD autoloader, to get the newest OTA afterwards)

ADD: And currently there are no known branded variant of the AAW068. (AFAIK)
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 04-20-18 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Addition
    Wezard likes this.
    04-20-18 02:25 AM
    You should call 8 times, and let us know how many different answers you get.
    I'm betting - 5, "there is no update"
    2, "we're 'testing' it"
    and - 1, "BlackBerry hasn't sent it to us yet"
    Sounds like you, as well as myself, have been given these answers from AT&T when inquiring about OS updates for their BlackBerry. It is pointless to call them as the Customer Service Representatives all read from a script.

I will NOT be calling AT&T asking about this update...

Bob
    04-20-18 06:53 AM
    Sounds like you, as well as myself, have been given these answers from AT&T when inquiring about OS updates for their BlackBerry.
    Yep, when AT&T first sold the Priv, and it wouldn't receive email, (and sometimes wouldn't send). About 4 days after BB released the fix update, AT&T got their device back and I got one from BB direct. A few weeks later AT&T the released the update that fixed it.
    I'll never buy another carrier device.
    04-20-18 07:11 AM
    Let me try to summarize the whole mess:
    Thats prob the best written and easiest to understand explanation I've seen.
    EskeRahn and Gigolo69 like this.
    04-20-18 07:16 AM
    Thats prob the best written and easiest to understand explanation I've seen.
    Thanks
    Gigolo69 likes this.
    04-20-18 07:44 AM
    I find it most disappointing of BlackBerry not to clarify their latest update and to allow all the unnecessary speculations.

Going forward how do they intend to support and sustain trust in the BlackBerry brand with those who bought BlackBerry licences to provide new phones?

I've now tried both my national carrier "EE" in the United Kingdom and a WiFi connection none have been able to receive the AAW068 update notice as of writing this response.
    04-20-18 08:34 AM

Going forward how do they intend to support and sustain trust in the BlackBerry brand with those who bought BlackBerry licences to provide new phones?
    BlackBerry is no longer concerned with its device brand - that's up to TCL and Optiemus now to promote and support.

This update is probably the result of a contractual obligation somewhere, and the other party is likely already aware of its contents.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    04-20-18 08:50 AM
708 ... 910111213 ...