12-02-15 10:30 AM
180 ... 678
tools
    Google Play data indicates Priv sales less than 50,000 units. Priv looks to be a total flop.

BlackBerry PRIV Sales off to a Slow Start, Google Play Data Suggests

Launched earlier this month, BlackBerry PRIV is the Canadian companys big and rather risky bet when it comes to their devices business.

With new hardware, bold design and a radical shift in terms of software platform, the PRIV looks like a BlackBerry but doesnt exactly feel like one, despite efforts to bring the OS 10 experience over to Android through several ported apps and services, including the outstanding Hub.

Even though its clearly designed to appeal to BlackBerrys business-oriented core audience and the more casual Android bunch alike, the PRIV doesnt appear to be selling too well. And while there are reports of it being out of stock at some retailers, statistics gathered from Androids app store paint a different story.

Google Play data versus high demand issues

All PRIV-exclusive apps published by BlackBerry on Google Play currently stand at 10,000 - 50,000 installs, which means that the number of PRIV users that are actively using their device (i.e. basic setup and app updates, at the very least) lies somewhere in that interval.

We can get another indication from the exFAT utility for memory cards, which is a mandatory, automatic install the first time a microSDXC card is inserted into a PRIV. This app shows 1,000 - 5,000 installs, which means that out of all PRIV owners, less than 5,000 are using a 32GB+ memory card to supplement the smartphones built-in 32GB of storage.

Three weeks after the PRIVs official launch, these numbers dont look too encouraging for its sales outlook. Its true that some shipments were delayed due to demand, but BlackBerry stated that all preorders would be successfully delivered no later than November 24 (as far as were concerned, they managed to make good on that promise, as our preordered unit arrived early this week).

Quo Vadis, BlackBerry PRIV?

Nevertheless, were currently putting the PRIV through its paces, with a review coming up sometime next week. The overall impression so far is that BlackBerrys first foray into the Android world needs serious work if it intends to ever become a real threat to acclaimed smartphone manufacturers like Samsung.

Between battery life issues and sluggishness exhibited by BlackBerrys own apps, it feels like the PRIVs software side simply lags behind the hardware. Even the impressive 18MP camera module feels undermined by an under par photo & video shooting app, especially in less-than-ideal lighting conditions.

All this is after BlackBerry has already updated its Android apps a few times since the PRIVs launch, which means they need to keep at it. If not for the PRIVs sake, then at least to increase the chances of a successful launch of the upcoming Android-based devices theyre already working on.
    11-28-15 07:54 PM
    I'm sure they would want as many sales as possible. They are also going to be realistic and not expect a landslide move of the world. Their success criteria may be lower than the general public might think.
    12-01-15 03:50 AM
    Traded my Passport for this Priv and prefer the Priv keyboard after just two weeks of use. Sorry big finger folks but the keyboard is just what I was looking for and is an improvement over the Passport.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Blackberry Priv
    Cannot be. It has no zoom. It has less functionality, even though you like it.
    12-01-15 07:09 AM
    "$99 for an iPhone 6 on a two year detail" often is very misleading. The devil is the detail. Enlighten us and tell us the full detail of the plan.
    Same plan, 2 years, $270 discount. The 5s has zero down. Will not buy because the browser font is too small.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-15 07:48 AM
    If only Priv was a little bit cheaper. At least as a promo for a month or so. $899 is hard to swallow for me at this point. The phone is gorgeous anyhow.
    12-02-15 10:30 AM
180 ... 678