10-25-15 10:04 PM
307 ... 10111213
tools
    I'm not paying more than I paid for my M9 for a lower spec phone. Looks nice but no real solid reason for me to purchase yet, for this price.
    Priv lower spec than M9? go watch the spec sheet again...
    10-23-15 10:52 AM
    I'm THISCLOSE to buying one!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-23-15 10:54 AM
    I pre ordered. Not feeling 100% great about it, but I like BlackBerry and I do really want the device.
    10-23-15 10:58 AM
    Huh?

Attachment 377029

Posted via CB10
    Exactly what I said.

That was an accidentally leaked place holder. It's $699, as I said multiple times.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    10-23-15 11:05 AM
    Nobody said it isn't. His argument is either all of the code is BlackBerry or it isn't a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I think the argument is that slapping apps like hub, DTEK, etc on top of Android doesn't make it BlackBerry's OS. They are not in control of things, Google is. They are just another Android OEM that has to try and differentiate itself with a PKB and software on top of the OS. Yeah they are doing some other stuff, but in the end they still have to bow at the alter of Google.
    techvisor and acovey like this.
    10-23-15 11:06 AM
    I'm not paying more than I paid for my M9 for a lower spec phone. Looks nice but no real solid reason for me to purchase yet, for this price.
    LG G4 can be bought for $230 less now from T-Mobile, and it is the same damn phone spec wise. BlackBerry won't move many units, which is exactly Chen's plan!
    techvisor likes this.
    10-23-15 11:09 AM
    And an LG G4, basically a nearly identical device in specs, is now $479, and the new Galaxy devices always get discounted as they approach the holidays. So does BlackBerry add $230 in value or have the brand image for people to put down more for the same or less specs? Android users have a reputation for look for value, and not having brand loyalty, because they can buy any device and customize it to how they want.
    G4 is $629 on amazon...I'm sure more when launched.
    9 ShopBlackBerry Priv Pre-Order Price-img_20151023_114223.png

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 11:44 AM
    I've seen Rogers Wireless up the pricing if purchased outright with the exception of corporate stores. Corp stores don't do a full buyout price increase!Just watch out for that!

 вιaсĸвεггч Passport SQW100-1 / 10.3.2.2639 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB 
    10-23-15 11:48 AM
    G4 is $629 on amazon...I'm sure more when launched.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151023_114223.png 
Views:	523 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	377166

Posted via CB10
    T-Mobile $479. And they will unlock it for you if you buy it outright.
    10-23-15 12:19 PM
    Okay. If you want the g4 just got buy that. I want the priv.
    10-23-15 12:20 PM
    Okay. If you want the g4 just got buy that. I want the priv.
    I don't want it, it is simply a reference point. BlackBerry hasn't learned from the past and is doing the same mistakes. You will be one of few who will pay that much more money than a comparably spec'd device with the same OS for a much cheaper price.
    techvisor, rambo47 and Ethereo like this.
    10-23-15 01:09 PM
    I don't want it, it is simply a reference point. BlackBerry hasn't learned from the past and is doing the same mistakes. You will be one of few who will pay that much more money than a comparably spec'd device with the same OS for a much cheaper price.
    So the idea was to. Price it the same as the g4?

I'd say price it like the s6 edge and add like a hundred for the keyboard and slider.
    10-23-15 01:12 PM
    G4 is cheap so it can stand out in a sea of smartphones. From a mega corporation that has the supply chain and capability to price it that low.

BlackBerry, this is the only phone they've come out with this year. Along with a incremental Passport update.

We're comparing different things.

This has a keyboard which is R&D, no other Android device offers this in this package.

Better camera, better brand name optics. Dual flash.

Bigger battery.

Curved AMOLED screen.

Proprietary antennas, hardware security components. Proprietary material.

Is it a great value like the G4 which has been out for almost 6 months now, not really. Who knows maybe BlackBerry will drop the price in the next few months. If it really bothers you, wait 6 months since you want to compare to the current G4 price so much.

Otherwise buy it if you see value, don't if you don't. Simple.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 01:15 PM
    I thought the decision was made for you. You were moving to iPhone, especially if BlackBerry screwed up again. Do you have BBRY stock, so still a vested interest? If not, move on. Get what works for you.
    10-23-15 02:50 PM
    Don't they all start high to get those that will buy it no matter what and have to have it right away and then drop the price months later?

I'd sock it to those that are willing also, why not?
    10-23-15 02:59 PM
    Yeah it's $699 US and $899 Canadian

Hope you guys all learned a lesson about speculating on rumours!

Also I hope that there's no "discount" soon... so it would mean that they'd been selling well

Posted via CB10
    It wasn't a rumor knucklehead!!

It was BlackBerry's own pre order Web site!!

Amazing how some constantly excuse 1d10t Chen!!

Posted via CB10
    techvisor and sentimentGX4 like this.
    10-23-15 05:19 PM
    Well, to be fair, they did publicly say that it stands for Privacy and Privilege.
    Well, there you go.... There is where the privilege part comes into play
    dejanh likes this.
    10-23-15 06:41 PM
    I think that they meant to say something like "your privacy is your privilege". Turns out they meant "it is a privilege to have your privacy" then followed it up by pricing the PRIV at $899 CAD.
    10-23-15 07:16 PM
    lol, you guys really believe they'd change their price, even by a cent, based on rumors and rants ?
    Just from Crackberry? No. From Reddit, The Verge, Slickdeals, Twitter, etc.? It would be stupid for companies to ignore free consumer input.

There are methodological means to measure online input. A company could measure the volume of "Tweets" from Twitter before deciding whether to consider input, for example.

Keeping track of online input is not much different from how a company like Netflix might keep track of BB10 user complaints to quit the service (though, it was probably a laughable amount).

Also, one must consider how difficult it is to meet the demands. Adjusting the MSRP by 50 USD, which will take some money, is not a huge deal compared to writing a BB10 app, which may take both time and money. 50 USD off isn't even that big of a compromise.

The facts are we had a preview of the PRIV order site and it had said 750 USD and now it is 700 USD.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 10-23-15 at 08:47 PM.
    10-23-15 08:11 PM
    I'm surprised that Blackberry chose the word "privilege" considering the negative connotation that has come with it from the recent wave of populism.

"Check your privilege", "white privilege", "white male privilege", etc. I can imagine the name alienating many upper middle class, left leaning, American consumers.

Certainly none of my peers would want to advertise their "privilege". This type of advertising should probably be reserved for Eastern markets.
    10-23-15 08:50 PM
    Priv lower spec than M9? go watch the spec sheet again...
    Comparison: RIM BlackBerry Priv STV100-1 LTE-A vs. HTC One M9 LTE-A NA | PDAcomparer | PDAdb.net
    Well it does have an 810 with 8 cores....

...that overheats and run slower than an S4 Pro.
    10-23-15 08:53 PM
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If it's not running a BlackBerry OS it's not a BlackBerry. It's an Android phone, and really only a mid-range one at that. The only compelling part of BlackBerry's hardware for me was the physical keyboard. The price of that keyboard was a relatively tiny screen and that became intolerable for me. So I got used to the virtual on-screen keyboard. What I always loved was the BlackBerry OS - including BB10. If I wanted an Android phone I'd get a Nexus. or a BlackPhone.
    acovey likes this.
    10-23-15 09:42 PM
    Moderators had better edit the topic of this thread (to reduce 749 to 699), I suppose.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 10:14 PM
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If it's not running a BlackBerry OS it's not a BlackBerry. It's an Android phone, and really only a mid-range one at that. The only compelling part of BlackBerry's hardware for me was the physical keyboard. The price of that keyboard was a relatively tiny screen and that became intolerable for me. So I got used to the virtual on-screen keyboard. What I always loved was the BlackBerry OS - including BB10. If I wanted an Android phone I'd get a Nexus. or a BlackPhone.
    It's possible that your post had some good points, but I stopped reading after you called it a "mid-range" phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 10:19 PM
    I'm surprised that Blackberry chose the word "privilege" considering the negative connotation that has come with it from the recent wave of populism.

"Check your privilege", "white privilege", "white male privilege", etc. I can imagine the name alienating many upper middle class, left leaning, American consumers.

Certainly none of my peers would want to advertise their "privilege". This type of advertising should probably be reserved for Eastern markets.
    PRIV probably came from privacy first. "Privilege" was probably a weak attempt at further justifying the name...
    Hlao-roo likes this.
    10-24-15 12:09 AM
307 ... 10111213