I was going to buy this phone but there is no way that I will pay $950 for this phone. I do not get it how come this phone is so expensive. Passport was so much cheaper at launch. This phone could really sell well at lower price. Over $1000 with taxes is just way too much. Blackberry should push this phone at promo prices at first. HTC A9 iPhone clone is just $550 Canadian for 32GB version. Blackberry is double the price.
    10-22-15 01:46 PM
    I like this idea and can't hold it against them if they're baiting folk. If BlackBerry is listening to the market and customer response to their leaked ideas, then I would be elated. If they dropped the price from 749usd to 699usd, that would do a lot to help the perceived value at launch and in the long run as a company serious about selling phones.

That said, the Venice is packing a lot of value beyond its basic specs, and I don't scoff at the idea of the phone being 749usd at lauch. It is what it is, and considering the full package, it's more impressive than any other phone on the market.

Custom hardware is expensive: just take a look at the new Microsoft Surface Book.
    Priv you mean. yea, most of us like the Venice better than the Priv name.
    anyhow, regardless of how much it packs, the price is simply high. the company needs to compete in the cut-throat market of smart phones, they just need to offer more for less. I'd love to have a secure phone, but in reality i don't carry any sensitive info on my phone anyway so security will only be a selling point to Gov Agencies and banks etc.
    Android users want great specs, a well built phone, and a phone that can be fun and does a lot of things. that's the average "dumb" user. I know BB is catering to the business professionals, but those too would want a phone that does everything. Apple is successful because it markets its phones as a super fun phone that does all and is easy to use. BB should try that.
    10-22-15 01:46 PM
    Yep, Ontario Ottawa number. Heck if you're not comfortable, get a new Quebec with $50/$60 2GB/5GB, then port your 613 number over it.

I got mine with a Nexus 5 last year, sold it to get my Classic, and did the same for my friend.
    Yea just saw that...good plans i have to say! thanks for the info!
    10-22-15 01:49 PM
    all people are complaining about the price, i'm agree with that. the price is too high. but specs seem like a premium device (minus crap front camera). by the way finally it has wireless charging.
    10-22-15 01:53 PM
    The base iPhone 6S + with 16 GB drive is $750 in the U.S. pre tax.
    Yeah exactly

Posted via CB10
    wbeckle likes this.
    10-22-15 02:11 PM
    I was going to buy this phone but there is no way that I will pay $950 for this phone. I do not get it how come this phone is so expensive. Passport was so much cheaper at launch. This phone could really sell well at lower price. Over $1000 with taxes is just way too much. Blackberry should push this phone at promo prices at first. HTC A9 iPhone clone is just $550 Canadian for 32GB version. Blackberry is double the price.
    You wont.

Another Canadian user just said he paid $799 CAD for his Priv, off contract.

That's barely over $600 USD and still leads me to believe it will be $649-699 in the States.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    10-22-15 02:12 PM
    You wont.

Another Canadian user just said he paid $799 CAD for his Priv, off contract.

That's barely over $600 USD and still leads me to believe it will be $649-699 in the States.

This is through Rogers Wireless.
    10-22-15 02:12 PM
    This is through Rogers Wireless.
    How? no one at rogers, online or over the phone knows anything and I've called around to a few stores as well. My carrier of choice still doesnt have anything internally. Telus doesnt have any info either... Why put up a "reservation" if you can't atleast put up a page outlining the price on your own website?!
    10-22-15 02:23 PM
    this is what is was when I talked with them online

9 ShopBlackBerry Priv Pre-Order Price-fsadfasdfasfd.png
    10-22-15 02:25 PM
    At that price? D.O.A.
    10-22-15 02:29 PM
    You can get 6S for $650 US for 16GB version and $750 for the 64GB Version at T-Mobile.
    You can get 6S Plus for $750 US for 16 GB version and $850 for 64 GB Version.
    T-Mobile has offers that give you $125 off those, divide it by 24 months, you pay $10 per month for insurance, and at 18 Months you can walk away from phone for pay the remaining 6 months then.

Apple is offering their own way to lease the phones now.

BlackBerry is going to do 6 months interest free via Paypal via shopblackberry.com, and that will likely be it. No carrier is going to try to one up each other with Priv's like they do with other makes of phones. The demand and potential new customer pool is too shallow. And BlackBerry I don't think can setup a lease type situation because it would be a logistical nightmare because they have no retail presence except in Dubai.

The Galaxy line prices are coming down now and will drop some more closer to holidays. The LG G4 is now $479 outright with the same internals. The Priv price:

9 ShopBlackBerry Priv Pre-Order Price-rent-too-damn-high.jpg

Is too DAMN HIGH!
    3Dee, wbeckle and Kurdis Blough like this.
    10-22-15 02:41 PM
    the fact that Rogers, a carrier which it seems does not have the best perception in canada (from what I hear), is selling the phone for $799 CAD then theres no way BB would sell the priv for $749 USD....i bet it'll be $749 on shopBB and probably 649 or $599 USD on shop BB....

Chen didn't say he wanted to get out of the hardware business....the people on this forum have been saying that not him. You realize that if the phone sells well then they will be making money again? Thats a pretty good motive for wanting to keep your hardware business around
    10-22-15 02:43 PM
    The only reported subsidized price is Rogers at $399 on a 2YR Share Everything plan. Which is NOT attractive at all. Do you know how much the Share Everything plan costs?

My point was that you can't compare a contract price with a retail price! And 499 for an iPhone on contract doesnt sound all that good either.

EDIT: And I am by no means saying that I agree with BBRY's pricing. I too feel they should have come in a bit lower. A 599 US retail 699 Can retail would be more inline with my thoughts about this device. (I don't think they needed to be as low as the ultra cheap flagships like the OPT or the MotoX, but yea they did over price it a bit)
    Last edited by pkcable; 10-22-15 at 08:40 PM.
    10-22-15 03:01 PM
    My point was that you can't compare a contract price with a retail price! And 499 for an iPhone on contract does sound all that good either.
    Yes you can. Compare:

Contract price of phone + incremental over base plan for contract times duration of contract

vs

Outright off contract price + base plan times duration of contract

Second almost always come out better.
    10-22-15 03:04 PM
    HTC M9 has better internals and better cameras. Same OS. And free - 1 year warranty. Nexus 6P has better internals, and the 128 GB highest end model with 1 year Nexus protect will be less than the Priv without any damage warranty.

But yeah, people still saying it's priced right. Because - - you know - - e-mails.
    techvisor likes this.
    10-22-15 03:05 PM
    That 2 mp front facing camera has large sensors plus a few other pieces of tech that will put it in line with a basic 5 mp camera if not beyond.
    Link?
    10-22-15 03:08 PM
    They think they can demand a premium like they did when they launched the PB...
    10-22-15 03:29 PM
    Yes you can. Compare:

Contract price of phone + incremental over base plan for contract times duration of contract

vs

The typical 2 years contract, in Canada at least, includes a $20 per month subsidy or $480 per year. Thus if the Rogers pricing of $400 is right, then you'll end up paying $880.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-22-15 03:38 PM
    I would pay that sky high price if it came with BB10. If not they can keep them all.
    Grumpy much.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 03:40 PM
    Yes you can. Compare:

vs

My wife is on a 2 year contract, subsidised phone. I'm on a BYOD off-contract. We pay exactly the same per month for our plans on Telus.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 03:44 PM
    My wife is on a 2 year contract, subsidised phone. I'm on a BYOD off-contract. We pay exactly the same per month for our plans on Telus.

Posted via CB10
    Sometime I think you would be better off trying to figure out when it's cheapest to buy a airline ticket....... than to figure out the difference in upgrading, new contract or going BYOD.....
    10-22-15 04:00 PM
    At this price I'd get an iPhone 6S instead.
    The iPhone is way too limited. Can't even save a damn MP3 lol! To each their own

BBM Channel: C0001F285
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-22-15 04:11 PM
    We'll probably see fire sales for this device just as we did with the PB.
    10-22-15 04:22 PM
    Keep in mind they still never announced a US price.

A user just purchased a Rogers preorder for $799 CAD, barely over $600 USD and far from the rumored $900.

I still say no more then $699 USD.

Huh?

9 ShopBlackBerry Priv Pre-Order Price-4a22bc23-92b6-4bc8-aba8-f963c09fb746-attlocal.png

Posted via CB10
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    10-22-15 04:33 PM
    (I don't think they needed to be as low as the ultra cheap flagships like the OPT or the MotoX, but yea they did over price it a bit)
    A bit? Lol. I sympathise with BlackBerry - they're now a smaller vendor so everything is more expensive to build, not to mention the beefy security built into the device (which sounds really good), the touch capacitive pkb, the BlackBerry Experience software (that's built-in). When you sit and think about it, it's quite a nice device even at the crazy price. I mean, iPhones don't even have stereo speakers yet, ffs (Apple's waiting till iPhone 7 or 8, is my bet)...

But it's still an Android phone and people are going to do Oranges to Oranges comparisons (fairly or not) and thumb their noses at the price. I'm hoping that there are some great carrier deals being offered on contract and that the ShopBB leaked price is strictly unlocked or just a mistake, ha.

The biggest spec is the touch capacitive pkb alongside GPS, and it's not like that will obsolete quickly. And with it running Lollipop at a minimum I suspect most BB / PKB diehards could care less if it's a SnapDragon 808, 810, 820, etc. as it should run decently for the forseeable future.

So most people that want it will just wait for the price to drop. Seems like either BB take a hit on margins now and lower the price to move units (and build goodwill). OR, they stick to high prices, have anemic sales and end up dropping the price down the road to clear remaining inventory.

And then exit the handset business. Which would be too bad because I think the touch capacitive pkb, hub and security are really great features that add value to any smartphone os. Crazy. Well, we'll know tomorrow for sure I guess?
    10-22-15 06:08 PM
307 ... 7891011 ...