i updated my ram chip to 4gb, its really faster than ever.
    300rmb(about 45$), so cheap.
    4GB RAM makes my Priv more smooth and faster.-54177f6ely1fjkjurarkej20qo0qo79z.jpg
    4GB RAM makes my Priv more smooth and faster.-54177f6ely1fjkjuruk3vj20qo0qogms.jpg
    11-03-17 05:02 AM
    How in the world did you do that???
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    11-03-17 05:30 AM
    Call me doubtful, but for some reason I don't believe what you claim.
    velkod and moonflyer like this.
    11-03-17 06:43 AM
    I don't believe it either.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-17 07:03 AM
    Of course it's possible depending on PCB and soldering technology that was used. Not sure how Priv internals were made but if it's anything like BB10 devices then it's a go.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-03-17 07:08 AM
    We need some proof!

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-03-17 07:19 AM
    absolutely it is true. I'm from China, and who makes this real is also a Chinese blackberry seller (grey market). He found the cpu and ram are not totally stick together than he made a experiment and success. you may search "dongtongheimei " on weibo (an app like twitter). a lot of priv user in China has been upgraded the RAM.
    11-03-17 08:33 AM
    Wuuuuuut
    11-03-17 08:35 AM
    What is the point of all that Hardware root of trust if the Hardware can be tampered with @Bla1ze your thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Pitsanuabc, Zedd88 and xandros9 like this.
    11-03-17 11:01 AM
    What is the point of all that Hardware root of trust if the Hardware can be tampered with @Bla1ze your thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Assuming it's even legit, the hardware root of trust should really be renamed to something less generic. The majority of it is based on the OS, BOOTROM and ROM. Think about it, people replace their screens all the time. Can't be too much external 'hardware' being protected there.
    Bbnivende, xandros9 and Mecca EL like this.
    11-03-17 11:12 AM
    Hardware root of trust!? My ramsbottom! Lol.
    Exposed!!! I mean if it's true, yeah.
    It is possible, but I only doubt because, it's BB(most secured phone on the planet?!).

Posted via CB10
    11-03-17 11:14 AM
    Assuming it's even legit, the hardware root of trust should really be renamed to something less generic. The majority of it is based on the OS, BOOTROM and ROM. Think about it, people replace their screens all the time. Can't be too much external 'hardware' being protected there.
    Didn't they claim, it won't boot up, if there's any HW/SW changes? I mean unauthorised? I think I read that somewhere.
    So what's stopping anyone from changing its CPU to an infected one?

Posted via CB10
    11-03-17 11:15 AM
    Didn't they claim, it won't boot up, if there's any HW/SW changes? I mean unauthorised? I think I read that somewhere.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like you assumed or read second hand news.
    11-03-17 11:16 AM
    Sounds like you assumed or read second hand news.
    You were too fast to reply to me. I edited to add more .
    Ah okay. But ah, too many doubts. I thought, on a BB, we can't mess with the HW.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-17 11:17 AM
    Ah okay. But ah, too many doubts. I thought, on a BB, we can't mess with the HW.

Posted via CB10
    No one is looking to replace your CPU with an infected one, that's just wild thinking without even getting into all the problems that would arise from trying to do so, like needing access to your phone, the need to replace the whole board, etc. Let's keep some sanity here and not go off the deep end.
    Wezard and Bbnivende like this.
    11-03-17 11:23 AM
    No one is looking to replace your CPU with an infected one, that's just wild thinking without even getting into all the problems that would arise from trying to do so, like needing access to your phone, the need to replace the whole board, etc. Let's keep some sanity here and not go off the deep end.
    I didn't mean for my phone. I don't even need all the BB security.
    I just said, since BB is intended for people, for whom security matters the most. So yeah, if their phones are stolen? Etc. Idk, just some wild thoughts :P

Posted via CB10
    11-03-17 11:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    Hardware root of trust is intended to prevent unauthorized software from being installed on the phone. That's it. Here's how it works:

The CPU Embedded Boot ROM verifies the digital signature of the Boot ROM.

The Boot ROM verifies the signing key of the Operating System.

The Operating System verifies the hash of the Base File System.

The Base File System verifies the hashes of all loaded Applications.
    laketrout73 and Bbnivende like this.
    11-03-17 11:35 AM
    Hardware root of trust is intended to prevent unauthorized software from being installed on the phone. That's it. Here's how it works:

Annnd precisely why I said it should be renamed lol
    11-03-17 11:49 AM
    i updated my ram chip to 4gb, its really faster than ever.
    300rmb(about 45$), so cheap.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54177f6ely1fjkjurarkej20qo0qo79z.jpg 
Views:	1264 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	431092
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54177f6ely1fjkjuruk3vj20qo0qogms.jpg 
Views:	1253 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	431093
    Price going up to $350. I think the graphene heatsink mod that's included helped more.
    wldcrd likes this.
    11-03-17 12:19 PM
    absolutely it is true. I'm from China, and who makes this real is also a Chinese blackberry seller (grey market). He found the cpu and ram are not totally stick together than he made a experiment and success. you may search "dongtongheimei " on weibo (an app like twitter). a lot of priv user in China has been upgraded the RAM.
    I think this is amazing news if true!
    @berryMaestro - Can you provide a screenshot of your running services under development options please?
    Last edited by wldcrd; 11-03-17 at 12:52 PM.
    11-03-17 12:21 PM
    @berryMaestro, would you mind ripping the back cover off your phone? I want to see where the graphene is placed, might be a very cheap mod, I'm seeing rolls of that stuff for 20 CNY.
    11-03-17 12:27 PM
    @ToniCipriani - did you get the price increase + graphene heatsink info from the same weibo contact mentioned by the OP?

Have you also modified your priv as well? Just wondering if you could confirm OP's finding.

I for one am very interested in trying this on my Priv since there are no other viable smartphones with a pkb available.
    Last edited by wldcrd; 11-03-17 at 12:48 PM.
    11-03-17 12:31 PM

Hmmmm this info makes me wonder if it would be possible to not only upgrade the ram but to also replace the CPU & emmc storage modules.

If my understanding is correct with the protected boot process as explained above wouldn't replacing the cpu essentially also remove the Hardware Root of Trust from starting up & checking the rest of the hardware components?

If this is correct you could then replace the emmc to a larger size without it causing any boot issues.

And with this possible couldn't we actually now be able to potentially root the Priv?

I am excited by the possibilities! Would love to be able to potentially upgrade my cpu to a faster module, increase my ram to 6gigs if possible & storage to 128gigs & have a custom rom with root on my SuperModded Priv
    Gigolo69 likes this.
    11-03-17 12:45 PM
    [QUOTE=wldcrd;13062482]
    Price going up to $350. I think the graphene heatsink mod that's included helped more.[/QUOTE @ToniCipriani - did you get the price increase + graphene heatsink info from the same weibo contact mentioned by the OP?

Have you also modified your priv as well? Just wondering if you could confirm OP's finding.

I for one am very interested in trying this on my Priv since there are no other viable smartphones with a pkb available.
    Yes, and no. I literally just read about this just now and went to check Weibo. That guy has a store in Beijing and Shenzhen, I'm checking with them to see if I can do it at the Shenzhen location, since I'm travelling to Hong Kong in a few months.

I might do the graphene heatsink mod first.
    wldcrd likes this.
    11-03-17 12:48 PM
    Hmmmm this info makes me wonder if it would be possible to not only upgrade the ram but to also replace the CPU & emmc storage modules.

If my understanding is correct with the protected boot process as explained above wouldn't replacing the cpu essentially also remove the Hardware Root of Trust from starting up & checking the rest of the hardware components?

If this is correct you could then replace the emmc to a larger size without it causing any boot issues.

And with this possible couldn't we actually now be able to potentially root the Priv?

I am excited by the possibilities! Would love to be able to potentially upgrade my cpu to a faster module, increase my ram to 6gigs if possible & storage to 128gigs & have a custom rom with root on my SuperModded Priv
    The 1st stage of the hardware root of trust is actually built into the Qualcomm SoC. The precise implementation would have to handoff perfectly. You would probably need a perfect pin for pin identical SoC - like the 625/626. But truly, this is wild explanation as the exact process is proprietary.
    wldcrd likes this.
    11-03-17 12:52 PM
340 123 ...