Ironically the biggest resource hog on a BlackBerry Android is BlackBerry's software.

Not my words... Bla1ze's.

If only there is a phone with Priv's form factor running Android One.
    In fact in my BlackBerry Odyssey (Passport/Priv/KEYᵒⁿᵉ) I am very annoyed by that... for instance, I have never had any use for BBM & it should be an app that cam be totally removed. If not for the PKB I would not be here. I arrived from the Pre3 after that pitiful demise. I look back with regrets of webOS and the incredibly marture ecosystem with 4mooth (Luna) interface... a joy.

BlackBerry has had more issues than one can count... hardware, software, updates with broken functionality, non-existent customer service, lag, heat, watery glue, flimsy USB, more... I want a PRIV design with innards that match. There's always a cheap bottleneck built in... exasperating !!
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 05-06-18 at 10:14 AM.
    cbosdell likes this.
    05-05-18 03:15 PM
    The problem with the Priv is it is really slow and not properly optimized like the newer non - BlackBerry Android devices. It had the potential for greatness but it was never realized. And the decision not to upgrade it to Oreo has doomed it.

Oreo helps the issues people have with the 802 and the 801 processor especially in overheating and in increasing speed. Sadly we will never know what the Priv could have and should have been.

I understand the decision not to upgrade, but I don't have to like it. It is what it is. When I do return to my Priv like I did yesterday, it is extremely frustrating because I am used to the power of the OnePlus 5T.
    skinnymike1, bibbula and wldcrd like this.
    05-05-18 03:57 PM
    This is fascinating. If I could upgrade my Priv's RAM in NoAM and not have to get a mule to travel to China, I would definitely give it a shot.

PRIV was such a unique device but unfortunately had poor execution for BB's first foray into Android. I'd love to be able to give it new life and give it a spin as a daily driver in 2018.
    skinnymike1 and newcollector like this.
    05-05-18 04:53 PM
    And the decision not to upgrade it to Oreo has doomed it.
    You mean Nougat, right? We didn't even get that.

When I do return to my Priv like I did yesterday, it is extremely frustrating because I am used to the power of the OnePlus 5T.
    Funny enough, I appreciate the horsepower of my Essential, but after my Priv returned I wasn't bothered by the lack of performance. I guess I'm not really a heavy user after all, the slider keyboard was that important to me.
    newcollector and wldcrd like this.
    05-05-18 10:16 PM
    I have never had any use for BBM & iit should be an app that cam be totally removed.
    But according to BlackBerry that is such a killer app, that you will be paying through your nose for BIS for it.

/s
    05-06-18 10:04 AM
    Are there any numbers showing peak and current subscribers and usage of BBM ? How does that compare to other similar services paid or not ? Does shameless monetization sell ?
    05-06-18 10:20 AM
    But according to BlackBerry that is such a killer app, that you will be paying through your nose for BIS for it.

/s
    It was at one time the killer messaging app. They have made improvements to it, but it has been a bit behind some of the competition. I think that is why is has been licensed to Emtek to be made more consumer oriented.
    05-06-18 12:31 PM
    It was at one time the killer messaging app. They have made improvements to it, but it has been a bit behind some of the competition. I think that is why is has been licensed to Emtek to be made more consumer oriented.
    They missed the fracking boat completely. If they weren't so stubborn with services income and decided to bundle it with phones, WhatsApp probably wouldn't even exist today. It was precisely because WhatsApp worked with anything from BB OS to Symbian why everyone I knew ditched BBM.
    bibbula likes this.
    05-06-18 09:12 PM
    They missed the fracking boat completely. If they weren't so stubborn with services income and decided to bundle it with phones, WhatsApp probably wouldn't even exist today. It was precisely because WhatsApp worked with anything from BB OS to Symbian why everyone I knew ditched BBM.
    They also were so hung up on security, that they never saw the consumer potential. Whatsapp, Telegram are just two consumer oriented messaging apps that have leapfrogged bbm.

I still have a couple of bbm friends, but could never get others to switch to it. To them it used a lot of their memory and was pretty detailed on setup so they didn't see the value. Ease of use vs Security, and ease of use won out every time.

Things have changed in bbm land, but it may be too little too late. Time will tell.
    05-07-18 08:33 AM
    Update on my experience with an upgraded 4GB Priv & heatsink mod after finally getting to use it for a while:

Apps don't have to reload anywhere near as often anymore (probably 1/4 as often as before) so that alone makes the phone a lot more usable. Apps seem to freeze up less in general (more on that later). I've only gotten the dreaded phone is overheating/cooling down message once and that was when I was on a trip using the GPS for hours and walking around taking pictures. That's a huge improvement over getting the message many times a day like I did before.

I've been using the Priv pretty much as intensely as my Huawei Mate 9 and while it's definitely slower it's been very usable with a few exceptions. The battery isn't anywhere near as good but it's decent (~4 hours SOT).

Snapchat freezes up quite often and that combined with the subpar front camera makes it almost unusable. Other apps freeze up or stop responding sporadically but not frequently enough to note. The GPS still doesn't seem to work great and occasionally stops updating the location when using google maps for directions.

That said I'd definitely recommend this upgrade to anyone that can get it and wants to stick with this form-factor a while longer.
    wldcrd and PHughes like this.
    06-03-18 02:57 AM
    Update on my experience with an upgraded 4GB Priv & heatsink mod after finally getting to use it for a while:

Apps don't have to reload anywhere near as often anymore (probably 1/4 as often as before) so that alone makes the phone a lot more usable. Apps seem to freeze up less in general (more on that later). I've only gotten the dreaded phone is overheating/cooling down message once and that was when I was on a trip using the GPS for hours and walking around taking pictures. That's a huge improvement over getting the message many times a day like I did before.

I've been using the Priv pretty much as intensely as my Huawei Mate 9 and while it's definitely slower it's been very usable with a few exceptions. The battery isn't anywhere near as good but it's decent (~4 hours SOT).

Snapchat freezes up quite often and that combined with the subpar front camera makes it almost unusable. Other apps freeze up or stop responding sporadically but not frequently enough to note. The GPS still doesn't seem to work great and occasionally stops updating the location when using google maps for directions.

That said I'd definitely recommend this upgrade to anyone that can get it and wants to stick with this form-factor a while longer.
    Is it really worth the hassle of paying for both shippings to and from China, as well as the labor for this?
    06-03-18 04:36 AM
    I wish I have friend in China to upgrade to 4gb ram.
    06-03-18 04:51 AM
    I have a feeling this could also attribute to the fact that the battery is 2 years old. BBVE still says the condition is "Good", but based on what @nward2010 said in another thread, it would appear the word "Good" is hardcoded in BBVE, lol.

I might get another battery to swap out when I have time. Performance it's nowhere as fast as my Essential, but without having it slow to a crawl needing a reboot every weekend, I'm happy.
    cbosdell likes this.
    06-03-18 02:21 PM
    Is it really worth the hassle of paying for both shippings to and from China, as well as the labor for this?
    I'm not sure what the cost of that would be but if you're planning on using it for at least another 6 months after upgrading and total cost is around $100 or less for shipping and upgrade then I wouldn't hesitate to do it. I just happened to be going to China already so it was an even easier decision for me.
    06-03-18 04:09 PM
    I'm not sure what the cost of that would be but if you're planning on using it for at least another 6 months after upgrading and total cost is around $100 or less for shipping and upgrade then I wouldn't hesitate to do it. I just happened to be going to China already so it was an even easier decision for me.
    With the pricing of the KEY2... I'm now thinking the upgrade is a huge bargain. Sure I'm out of support but my 3 year old phone still does its job.

Throw in a new battery and I can probably use it at least another year or two.
    cbosdell and wldcrd like this.
    06-06-18 07:26 AM
    Grrr...
    Just tried to go through the taobao storefront to get one of these modded Privs and they had a shipping restriction to the US (at least that's the best my translation could give me about the reasoning,) that wouldn't let me finalize an order.

Would LOVE to see someone grab a case of these and bring them stateside to sell to those of us craving to stick with our slider form-factor but want something a bit more 2018-relevant.
    Even with the Key2 I wonder how many people would buy one, might be worth my time to route them through some overseas friends and sell a few dozen here in the US. Hmm...
    08-19-18 09:41 PM
    The length some of you would go to add 1gb RAM to the Priv lol...

However, find me any way to swap out the 808 for a more efficient SoC and I'm all in!
    08-20-18 06:41 AM
    The length some of you would go to add 1gb RAM to the Priv lol...

However, find me any way to swap out the 808 for a more efficient SoC and I'm all in!
    Ah yes, the 808 is the death of the Priv.
    the_boon likes this.
    08-21-18 11:52 AM
    Ah yes, the 808 is the death of the Priv.
    It's the death of any phone.
    the_boon likes this.
    08-21-18 12:07 PM
    It's the death of any phone.
    And a death by fire. Well at least by heat.
    08-21-18 12:14 PM
    And a death by fire. Well at least by heat.
    Note 7? Lol
    08-21-18 03:15 PM
    Maybe this is a good source? ...$2USD for 10 chips

https://www.hkinventory.com/public/P...rom=PartNumber
    10-19-19 10:39 PM
    On second look... it's $10USD min, so you have to buy 50 chips and open a business.
    10-19-19 10:47 PM
    Anyway I can get this done in Canada? Does the Priv modder have a store website?
    11-17-19 06:42 AM
    I want to upgrade my phone RAM to 8GB.. is it possible :d

Posted via CB10
    11-17-19 10:34 AM
340 ... 11121314