Posted from my BlackBerry Q10
    Deal with it.
    Wezard likes this.
    04-09-18 09:51 AM
    Deal with it.
    No. My privacy is not for sale.
    04-09-18 09:55 AM
    If you run Social apps, your privacy is for sale. It doesn't matter if you are still clinging to BB10 or using Android or iOS. I guarantee you that your privacy has been bought and sold many a time.
    04-09-18 09:59 AM
    If you run Social apps, your privacy is for sale. It doesn't matter if you are still clinging to BB10 or using Android or iOS. I guarantee you that your privacy has been bought and sold many a time.
    I don't run social apps.

But are you really implying that if your privacy has already been bought and sold at least once, you should just let it continue to be exploited? Sorry, I don't follow that logic. If your house is burglarized once, you are not thereafter going to leave your doors unlocked and put a sign outside that says "burglars welcome, steal what ever you want".

If you're happy with Android, that's great. I'm not.
    04-09-18 10:17 AM
    I don't run social apps.

But are you really implying that if your privacy has already been bought and sold at least once, you should just let it continue to be exploited? Sorry, I don't follow that logic. If your house is burglarized once, you are not thereafter going to leave your doors unlocked and put a sign outside that says "burglars welcome, steal what ever you want".

If you're happy with Android, that's great. I'm not.
    No I am not saying that one should let it happen. I am trying to point out that any person's involvement on the Web thru devices like our smartphones opens us up for security issues. BlackBerry devices are not much more secure than other devices unless your bb10 device is tied to a secure environment at work.

Anytime one purchases online, there is a security risk. Your privacy may be stolen. It happened to me because of the breach of a credit rating company that I have never used. I so got caught due to the Target issue a few years ago.

The problem is not always with our devices, but with the security measures and means of those with whom we do business.

By all means be as secure as one can. But we also must recognize the risk of interaction. Sadly it is the cost of life these days.
    04-09-18 10:26 AM
    No I am not saying that one should let it happen. I am trying to point out that any person's involvement on the Web thru devices like our smartphones opens us up for security issues. BlackBerry devices are not much more secure than other devices unless your bb10 device is tied to a secure environment at work.

Anytime one purchases online, there is a security risk. Your privacy may be stolen. It happened to me because of the breach of a credit rating company that I have never used. I so got caught due to the Target issue a few years ago.

The problem is not always with our devices, but with the security measures and means of those with whom we do business.

By all means be as secure as one can. But we also must recognize the risk of interaction. Sadly it is the cost of life these days.
    I agree. That is the risk we all take using any internet-connected devices.

But Google's version of Android (the one with Google Play Services embedded) is designed, first and foremost, to collect as much data as possible about you - from your exact location (even in Airplane Mode and with location services turned off), to your web browsing and search history, to the apps you use, to your sleep patterns. They collect it all. And by using any device running their OS, you explicitly consent to that data collection.

The same goes for social apps like Facebook. You consent to their data collection.

If you trust the likes of Google and Facebook to protect your privacy, that's great. Although you might want to take a second look at Facebook, as they have recently been exposed for not properly protecting the data of their users.

I personally don't believe Google is any better than Facebook in this regard. It doesn't matter if your data has been anonymized, multiple studies have shown that individuals can be re-identified through anonymized data.

So if I have to choose between a device that is designed and intended to collect as much personal data about me as possible or a device that maybe does some data collection but not on the same scale, I'm going to choose the latter.

If you're going use internet-connected devices and have a data footprint out there in the cloud somewhere, and there is always the potential for that data to be compromised or used improperly, isn't it better to at least try to make that footprint as small as possible?
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    04-09-18 10:41 AM
    I agree. That is the risk we all take using any internet-connected devices.

But Google's version of Android (the one with Google Play Services embedded) is designed, first and foremost, to collect as much data as possible about you - from your exact location (even in Airplane Mode and with location services turned off), to your web browsing and search history, to the apps you use, to your sleep patterns. They collect it all. And by using any device running their OS, you explicitly consent to that data collection.

The same goes for social apps like Facebook. You consent to their data collection.

If you trust the likes of Google and Facebook to protect your privacy, that's great. Although you might want to take a second look at Facebook, as they have recently been exposed for not properly protecting the data of their users.

I personally don't believe Google is any better than Facebook in this regard. It doesn't matter if your data has been anonymized, multiple studies have shown that individuals can be re-identified through anonymized data.

So if I have to choose between a device that is designed and intended to collect as much personal data about me as possible or a device that maybe does some data collection but not on the same scale, I'm going to choose the latter.

If you're going use internet-connected devices and have a data footprint out there in the cloud somewhere, and there is always the potential for that data to be compromised or used improperly, isn't it better to at least try to make that footprint as small as possible?
    Agreed. That is why I don't use Chrome or Facebook app. I have alternatives that I use. I also have a OnePlus 5T that is my primary device. And I have removed the "tracking" issue that was revealed.

I was a BlackBerry advocate until recently. I love the performance of my 5T and will never return to BlackBerry unless they can step up to the performance plate better.
    04-09-18 10:46 AM
    Sooo back to the actual topic of this thread, is it really worth it to deal with the hassle of sending one's Priv to China for an additional gig of RAM when the device is EOL and all...
    PHughes likes this.
    04-09-18 02:07 PM
    Thanks for your answer 😁
    04-09-18 02:19 PM
    Sooo back to the actual topic of this thread, is it really worth it to deal with the hassle of sending one's Priv to China for an additional gig of RAM when the device is EOL and all...
    Until someone builds another portrait slider running Android... there just isn't anything else on the market replacing it.
    wldcrd likes this.
    04-09-18 05:26 PM
    As in go back to your bubble that is your dead system and quit derailing the thread. Go play with Kryngle and YesAndNo.
    BioDave1955 and thurask like this.
    04-09-18 05:32 PM
    I finally got my PRIV modded the other day while in China. Really was amazing. Came in and thirty minutes later the upgrade was complete. Won't have time to really test it for a couple weeks or so but I'll post a review and thoughts when I can.
    Added bonus: the back of mine no longer flexes after the repair. Phone is as solid as my first one.
    newcollector and wldcrd like this.
    04-11-18 08:50 PM
    Added bonus: the back of mine no longer flexes after the repair. Phone is as solid as my first one.
    The mod is worth it just to fix the flexing and creaking back.
    04-11-18 08:56 PM
    The mod is worth it just to fix the flexing and creaking back.
    Well it supposedly also includes a GPS fix as well, it was due to a worn antenna. I was using it for sidewalk navigation all day yesterday with Spotify running.
    04-11-18 10:17 PM
    This mod could be worth it in 2018... if it could be done at any local repair shop (assuming you provide them the part). However this whole hassle of sending allll the way to China, and paying the dude + return shipping too.. Ugh, I wouldn't do it for an extra gig of RAM. However, if that guy could swap out the 808 for... any other more efficient processor, I'd take a shot at it, for suree
    04-12-18 01:10 AM
    Does someone know which part is needed and where I can order it from? If I had it I could get one of the local mobile repair places to install it for me.
    04-13-18 12:19 AM
    My priv has 3gb ram and it still performs fine!
    04-13-18 01:42 PM
    My priv has 3gb ram and it still performs fine!
    But 4GB is better than fine, I'm like 3 weeks in and no need for a reboot. Rebooting was a weekly ritual back then for me with 3 only, phone would slow to a crawl and Launcher would start freezing up.
    B1aize and vincentkong like this.
    04-20-18 12:19 PM
    Anyone doing this mod in USA yet?
    04-23-18 03:46 PM
    I no longer use my Priv anymore, so I don't mind being without it for a while. Does anyone have clear, easy instructions on how/if I can upgrade it without leaving the USA? Specifically how do I communicate with the upgrader, how much money and time, should I password protect my phone or wipe it?
    05-04-18 05:00 PM
    the Info you need is in this thread some pages before.

just search and you will find it.

regards
    05-05-18 05:08 AM
    the Info you need is in this thread some pages before.

just search and you will find it.

regards
    Granted there is no info about doing it in the US. Myself and @cbosdell actually brought our phones to China ourselves.
    05-05-18 08:19 AM
    Porbably he meant there is info doing it in China, not USA.
    05-05-18 10:44 AM
    accomplish the same by reducing the number of apps running in background, cleaning useless junk to memory card, and avoidance of horrible resource eaters like social networking apps in favor of web presence or wrapper
    newcollector likes this.
    05-05-18 01:37 PM
    accomplish the same by reducing the number of apps running in background, cleaning useless junk to memory card, and avoidance of horrible resource eaters like social networking apps in favor of web presence or wrapper
    Ironically the biggest resource hog on a BlackBerry Android is BlackBerry's software.

Not my words... Bla1ze's.

If only there is a phone with Priv's form factor running Android One.
    RLeeSimon, cbosdell and wldcrd like this.
    05-05-18 03:03 PM
340 ... 1011121314