07-18-15 08:44 PM
74 123
tools
    Could it be possible for BlackBerry to release two versions of the Slider? One would be BB10 native on the Slider and the other one would be Android Lollipop? Ofcourse the quantity in which both are made will have a different ratio.. probably a 30/70 split in favor of Android since that might sell more?

Your thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Whichever way that go, it's more likely that they'll release only a single version. It means far fewer support issues, quicker updates and bug fixes, and history shows that traditionally, offering the exact same product with two different OSes doesn't sell enough to justify the split. See: Dell's dabbling in offering Linux installs on some of their Windows laptop SKUs, or some manufacturers' Chromebook setups on Windows laptops. There just isn't enough market to support both, so throw your weight behind one and commit to it.
    06-14-15 06:50 PM
    Whichever way that go, it's more likely that they'll release only a single version. It means far fewer support issues, quicker updates and bug fixes, and history shows that traditionally, offering the exact same product with two different OSes doesn't sell enough to justify the split. See: Dell's dabbling in offering Linux installs on some of their Windows laptop SKUs, or some manufacturers' Chromebook setups on Windows laptops. There just isn't enough market to support both, so throw your weight behind one and commit to it.
    BlackBerry are splitting software development if the rumours are true. BlackBerry 10 is going to be supported, they are still producing BlackBerry 10 devices. If the rumours are true then they will also be supporting Android on a device.

I'm personally surprised that The Slider is the device the rumours are circulating around, to me it makes a whole lot more sense if the Chinese Passport was the device that was going to ship with Android.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 07:27 PM
    Besides that, nothing, really. And all the complaints people will list after this reply are just things of the past.
    How about the constant and continuous updates that needs to be done to apps because of a crappy fractured base? That alone put me off Android.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    06-14-15 09:09 PM
    I think that it could be possible. And, while I see it as a bit of an undertaking as far as support for two separate versions of the same device, it's not that out-of-the-ordinary for BlackBerry to do. (They already have how many different versions of BB10 to accommodate their own line of devices with different hardware features: trackpad on Classic, capacitive keyboard on Passport, different screen sizes and aspect ratios).

If they were ever going to release a device with Android, it would still mean an extra line of support needed, unless they were going to drop BB10 altogether which we all hope is not the case.

I could see them releasing two different versions. That way they would not lose any potential buyers not wanting to leave BB10.

On the other hand, it's no secret that they are going to begin pushing on the software side of things as well. It is very likely that they are going to release an all Android phone and optimize as much of BB10 as they can within it. It could be the Slider. They could release multiple versions, but it is more likely they could just have one. Only time will tell. Hopefully, if they only release one version, it remains BB10. I want that slider so bad.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 10:59 PM
    While it sounds cool, I doubt. It will be either of BB10 or Android.

Android with no app gap, S6 hardware, mammoth battery, physical keyboard or touch keyboard, 5 inch screen, Blackberry hub,slightly security hardened Android and super camera all together sounds like a 'Bettered S6' in all respects for CONSUMERS.

Cant blame BlackBerry for trying out luck there. If it clicks, it would be a great comeback story. IOS, Android and supposedly cool new Windows 10 are tough competition for Blackberry to beat no matter how sophisticated and beautiful bb10 is.

Having said that, I will be dissappointed if BlackBerry does not come up with newer devices running bb10. BlackBerry is sure to lose a lot of fans there, but might end up gaining more on its Android version. BlackBerry 'as a company' wouldn't mind that I think.
    06-15-15 12:08 AM
    Still sticking with the theory that the Android version will be a Samsung.
    06-15-15 01:28 AM
    Still sticking with the theory that the Android version will be a Samsung.
    Samsung device with a BlackBerry keyboard that's plausible.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 08:45 AM
    I'm sure you'll say these are things of the past but I know from using many different androids that the following are still problems on ALL androids:
    -Battery life
    -Lag (not so much in apps, but mostly on homescreen and switching apps

Posted via CB10
    Battery life? Try either the LG G2 or the Sony Xperia Z3 compact. Both can exceed 24 hours with similar usage to a blackberry.

Lag? On a cheap device, yep, for sure. On a flagship device? Not if your doing it right.

I have both a blackberry classic and the affore mentioned Z3 Compact on my lap right now. And if I could somehow magic the classic KB onto the Z3 Compact, I would only need one phone ;-)

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 09:01 AM
    Android? Samsung will eat them. Shame BlackBerry is still hell-bent on self-destruction.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 06:18 PM
    Android? Samsung will eat them. Shame BlackBerry is still hell-bent on self-destruction.

Posted via CB10
    We don't know anything about it really, they could be in partnership.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 06:24 PM
    Could be Samsung with Blackberry suite and/ or Samsung version and a BlackBerry 10 version built by Wistron. Doubt that BlackBerry would build an OHA or AOSP version. They need a secured phone for Enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 09:39 PM
    I would make the android version the commercial one and BB10 version special order.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 10:37 PM
    Does BlackBerry still has resources to maintain and update two (2) OS's?

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 01:09 AM
    Could be Samsung with Blackberry suite and/ or Samsung version and a BlackBerry 10 version built by Wistron. Doubt that BlackBerry would build an OHA or AOSP version. They need a secured phone for Enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    As long as their Containerization works, BlackBerry does not need to create or manufacture hardware. Why continue to spend money and lose overall, when software will fulfill the requirement using others hardware.

As far as securing the Host, The container merely needs to check for root capabilities and if detected, it says, "Device has been modified. BlackBerry Container shutting down." And keep all it's information within the container refusing access to the information from any app not within the container.

I'd still like to see them remove the android runtime from their current line. Then see how many people would remain with "0" Droid support.
    06-18-15 06:17 AM
    How about the constant and continuous updates that needs to be done to apps because of a crappy fractured base? That alone put me off Android.
    What continuous updates. The only updates I received was when the apps were actually correcting bugs and adding features. Which was not all that frequent.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    06-18-15 06:25 AM
    Do we really have any reliable indication that the slider will be an Android? Despite being perpetually confused by BlackBerry, I still struggle to believe they would do something like this. Some kind of dual something, maybe, but I can't see BlackBerry committing such an act of folly as making a BlackBerry Android.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    06-18-15 06:46 AM
    Do we really have any reliable indication that the slider will be an Android? Despite being perpetually confused by BlackBerry, I still struggle to believe they would do something like this. Some kind of dual something, maybe, but I can't see BlackBerry committing such an act of folly as making a BlackBerry Android.

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely no evidence, even the original leak didn't mention the Slider. It makes no sense to be the Slider, how can BlackBerry sell BlackBerry 10 phones when their flagship model runs Android. Ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    Steelsheen and acovey like this.
    06-18-15 07:00 AM
    I highly doubt what you're saying. Maybe battery life is good for you but maybe because you're a light user

As for lag, try swiping through settings, on the homescreens, switching through apps..etc. On android, it stutters or lags. On bb10, it's fine

Posted via CB10
    I've used my Nexus 7 2013 for about a year and a half now, and it is easily one of the nicest devices I've ever used. The latest update didn't help battery life much, but I probably use it almost more than my Z30 and I still get two days easily. Android M is also bringing huge improvements in that area. As for lag, I've turned on developer options forcing every OS animation to run at 2x speed, and still hardly lag. Now, that's the beauty of stock Android; Samsung and other manufacturers are notorious for skinning android and making it lag. However, done right, a Blackberry skinned android device could be very, very nice. If the slider runs Android, I want one.
    06-18-15 12:21 PM
    why all you guys just putting more and more effort on speculations???? Who said slider will be android? Did ever BB said something like this??? its so funny how some make up new stories and threats like mushrooms after rain!
    kekos likes this.
    06-18-15 12:26 PM
    Actually in my part.. though my reason has no clear evidence to back it up.. my gut feeling tells me that when john chen stated that the dual curves on the slider had a purpose my first thoughts were Samsung and the S6. Makes sense if its android as this is easily done on android and Samsung can easily make a BB10 version of it.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 09:23 AM
    I think it'll be pure Droid. This could be Blackberrys big opportunity to sell some devices. While I hate Droid and love bb10, I've been asking around with some friends and coworkers 'if BlackBerry released a 5.1" dual curved slider with an octacore processor and 3gb of ram running android and has a keyboard would you buy it?' everyone I've spoken too drooled at the notion and then many spoke about how much they miss their torch (as do i).. if this thing is marketed properly BlackBerry could sell some volume again.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 08:50 AM
    Absolutely no evidence, even the original leak didn't mention the Slider. It makes no sense to be the Slider, how can BlackBerry sell BlackBerry 10 phones when their flagship model runs Android. Ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    Because it would sell.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 08:52 AM
    It will be a sad day when blackberry release a phone with google's prime OS on it.

That's like blackberry accepting defeat.

Anyone agree with that?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 08:40 PM
    It will be a sad day when blackberry release a phone with google's prime OS on it.

That's like blackberry accepting defeat.

Anyone agree with that?

Posted via CB10
    While I don't wish to see it happen either, I hate Droid. BlackBerry has shareholders pockets to fatten and thousands of employees with families to feed counting on the next pay cheque. If this gets them selling phones again I think defeat would be a prideful and childish way to look at it (no offense), I would call it success. At the end of the day, the goal is to make money, if android is the route, I say take it.

With again the caveat that I'd prefer not to see android on a BlackBerry from a personal perspective

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 08:56 PM
    I think it'll be pure Droid. This could be Blackberrys big opportunity to sell some devices. While I hate Droid and love bb10, I've been asking around with some friends and coworkers 'if BlackBerry released a 5.1" dual curved slider with an octacore processor and 3gb of ram running android and has a keyboard would you buy it?' everyone I've spoken too drooled at the notion and then many spoke about how much they miss their torch (as do i).. if this thing is marketed properly BlackBerry could sell some volume again.

Posted via CB10
    I use a Torch 9810 and have been waiting for a slider replacement for over three years and I want a Blackberry NOT a BlackSung. If I wanted a Android phone I would buy one. Seems half of the people on Crackberry are Android fans, and I thought this was a Blackberry site? In my humble opinion if you don't want a Blackberry go buy another phone and move to it's support site.
    wilber1 likes this.
    06-22-15 09:14 PM
74 123