Do you think it's possible we could see a dual release. By this I mean blackberry releases the slider with BB10, and at the same time Samsung release the same phone with android but which has a BlackBerry Hub and maybe swipe gestures which blackberry licence to Samsung? Just a thought

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 10:54 AM
    Besides that, nothing, really. And all the complaints people will list after this reply are just things of the past.
    True android is amazing but not as efficient when messaging and handling notification as BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 11:10 AM
    How about you choose which os you want to have installed at startup? Sort of a MSFT approach to xiaomi, except it is between two blackberry choices?

I would use a BlackBerry android device

Posted via CB10
    That would be incredible! And a great way to get people back on blackberry!! Such a good idea.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 01:37 PM
    I use a Torch 9810 and have been waiting for a slider replacement for over three years and I want a Blackberry NOT a BlackSung. If I wanted a Android phone I would buy one. Seems half of the people on Crackberry are Android fans, and I thought this was a Blackberry site? In my humble opinion if you don't want a Blackberry go buy another phone and move to it's support site.
    We arent android fans, its just BB10 is soooo bad, that android seems like a viable option now.

you say if you wanted an android phone you'd buy an android, but you also said you are waiting for a slider, I dont understand... is there currently an android slider?

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    07-01-15 01:41 PM
    I think there will be 2 different phones.
    One of them will be slider with BB10 for native BlackBerry users. Huge amount of native users don't buy an android phone. Here is the other point, a blackberry phone with pure android will force people to leave BlackBerry platform and this means suicide.
    The other one can be a slider with hub integrated android OS that builds on BlackBerry security basics. Think about hub, BlackBerry interfaces and security system will be there but the core of OS or what you call will carry android software. Google Play and all android services can be run on that phone and more secure than any other phone on market. Nowadays all android interfaces are same and brands such as htc and lg try to move one step forward by developing their user interfaces and making some differences. Hybrid phones can be future of BlackBerry or its doom.
    Whatever they make, I will always choose BlackBerry OS.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-15 08:24 AM
    Well what do you know? My theory could actually be right! I wonder how this would play out in the grand scheme of things. Nevertheless id be confused as to which version id buy. BB10 is just amazing OS but the lack of apps hinder productivity (at times). On the other end we have a BlackBerry phone which would for the first time be open to all and I mean all the apps thats available on the market at the cost of a buggier, battery hungry Android OS.. gotta weigh the pros and cons!

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 06:06 AM
    I really hope if this is true : 1. There will be an option for a BB10 device rather than just an Android device 2. If Blackberry is really serious about promoting an Android version of a possibly flagship device, they market and promote the sh*t outta it! Android right now is dominated by Samsung devices with few marginal other brands like HTC, LG, Motorola, etc.

Me personally, I would get the BB10 version unlocked and run Android apps through Amazon app store or the sideloaded Snap app. However I do know plenty of people that are still upset when Google took over Motorola and ended the Droid line of phones and just focused on the crappy all touch Razor phones. Many people that loved the ole' Droid phones may want to give a Blackberry slider running Android a look.

Blackberry must do a phenomenal job winning back old Droid fans with what else, a KEYBOARD!!!
    Jasper-Ng likes this.
    07-03-15 06:13 AM
    If it's only released with Android, then I'm going to stick with my Q10 until it dies or try a Passport. I have grown to love BB10.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    07-07-15 09:26 AM
    I think it'll be pure Droid. This could be Blackberrys big opportunity to sell some devices. While I hate Droid and love bb10, I've been asking around with some friends and coworkers 'if BlackBerry released a 5.1" dual curved slider with an octacore processor and 3gb of ram running android and has a keyboard would you buy it?' everyone I've spoken too drooled at the notion and then many spoke about how much they miss their torch (as do i).. if this thing is marketed properly BlackBerry could sell some volume again.

Posted via CB10
    Samsung the kind of Droid is struggling to sell phones, if they can't do it BlackBerry can't.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 05:59 AM
    Again, the problem with selling both Android and BB10 devices is that OHA rules would require removing the Android Runtime from BB10.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2204
    That would be fine as I believed the future strategy for BlackBerry is moving to the following mode of operation where as BB10 OS becomes a secure OS for Government and Enterprise that value secure communications as their #1 priority.

Android will pick up the rest.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=11765145

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    07-08-15 11:20 AM
    I pray for a BB10 / Android dual boot but I don't want a pure Android BlackBerry handset so if it's Android I'm sticking with my Z30.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    07-08-15 02:06 PM
    Does BlackBerry still has resources to maintain and update two (2) OS's?

Posted via CB10
    Not entirely sure, but I believe Android is maintained and updated by a small concern called Google.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    07-09-15 03:58 AM
    Give me bb10
    07-11-15 06:10 PM

So if BlackBerry set up all of the BlackBerry functionality as a separate, self encapsulated suite or something, it just might be a big win for them. There is a lot you can do with an Android device that will never be possible on a BlackBerry (Hell, I didn't think it would be possible on a phone!!). Being able to download, compile and then stream a torrent to your TV - pretty cool.

X

Posted via CB10
    I do this all the time on my Passport without needing to compile. Just download the torrent file and use miracast to connect to my smart tv and watch the video.

Passport SQW 100-1 OS 10.3.2.2204
    07-11-15 07:27 PM
    What continuous updates. The only updates I received was when the apps were actually correcting bugs and adding features. Which was not all that frequent.
    Is this guy serious? We have over 30 android devices deployed. Each one gets constant app updates. Again it's all due to the fractured ecosystem. Too many different devices. This is the main problem with an open source OS.
    07-12-15 04:25 PM
    Is this guy serious? We have over 30 android devices deployed. Each one gets constant app updates. Again it's all due to the fractured ecosystem. Too many different devices. This is the main problem with an open source OS.
    Yes, I am very serious. Guess I don't as many buggy apps as your deployemnts.
    07-12-15 05:59 PM
    How about the constant and continuous updates that needs to be done to apps because of a crappy fractured base? That alone put me off Android.
    This^ How many days in a row does an app need to be updated and why? The constant signing in to apps that have updated. Oh yeah, the constant lag and the device freezing. Obviously, I use an Android and a BlackBerry. Android for ease of apps, BlackBerry for Hub, messaging, and pim integration.
    07-12-15 06:07 PM
    never had a android before. What is so bad about it besides the security concerns?

Posted via CB10
    I am an avid android user and all android phones lag! All of them! And the simple tasks are done in a list efficient way. You can't share files like in bb10, you don't have an unified inbox etc. Then there's malware
    Steelsheen likes this.
    07-12-15 06:15 PM
    With BBRY already trimming their staff to the bare minimum, I can't imagine they'd have enough people to both maintain and improve BB10 while at the same time forking a version of Android that they can secure and add BB elements to. Look at how long it has taken to build from QNX to PlayBook OS to BB10. People seem to think they just "install Android" on it like it's an install .exe or something. I'm still skeptical that Android as the OS can be secured to a BB acceptable level, it's a whole different ballgame than Bes12 containerization.

And then people would buy it because it says BlackBerry? Why would Samsung try to compete with themselves? If there was enough interest in a device like this, why wouldn't they just put out a Galaxy Slider S? Are there other smartphones that Samsung makes that are rebranded by another company? What exactly is BBRY bringing to the deal?
    The same people writing the bb10 os wouldn't necessarily be writing the android skin to my knowledge all the ui for android is written in java.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 10:56 AM
    Ideally I'd like to see one OS: a BlackBerry 10 (or11?!) with QNX Hypervisor or whatever container is needed to run a full, clean Android OS inside. That way, one gets access to all Android apps, including Google Play Services, and the ability to leave the Android layer and return to the main BlackBerry OS.

Posted via CB 10 | STA100-3 Z30 | OS 10.3.2.858
    07-13-15 09:47 PM
    Ideally I'd like to see one OS: a BlackBerry 10 (or11?!) with QNX Hypervisor or whatever container is needed to run a full, clean Android OS inside. That way, one gets access to all Android apps, including Google Play Services, and the ability to leave the Android layer and return to the main BlackBerry OS.

Posted via CB 10 | STA100-3 Z30 | OS 10.3.2.858
    I think that is much more likely than having a BB10 AND Android version of the Slider. I'm hoping they do this and it's a seamless integration, including for the work space (allowing Android apps from Google Play to be published in BES12 to work on the device). That way users could use a mix of BB10 native and Android apps via Google Play in the personal space, and also use them both in the work space (with the same restrictions there requiring apps be published in BES 12). Right now, I have several Android apps I have to run in the personal space, which totally ruins the idea of work-personal separation.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    07-16-15 01:48 PM
    It will be a sad day when blackberry release a phone with google's prime OS on it.

That's like blackberry accepting defeat.

Anyone agree with that?

Posted via CB10
    Yep! Goes without saying!

Amazing Blackberry Passport!
    07-17-15 01:30 PM
    I'm sure BlackBerry's favorite carrier AT&T will get as many versions of the slider as they want. They say jump and Chen asks how high.

The rest of us get screwed and I'm tired of it.

I want a BLUE BB10 Slider. Chen owes me for all the hell he's put everyone through.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2339 / T-Mobile USA
    DJM626 likes this.
    07-18-15 07:40 AM
    This^ How many days in a row does an app need to be updated and why? The constant signing in to apps that have updated. Oh yeah, the constant lag and the device freezing. Obviously, I use an Android and a BlackBerry. Android for ease of apps, BlackBerry for Hub, messaging, and pim integration.
    I understand where you're coming from. However, with the higher end devices, I've noticed little lag. No more or less than BB10. I do a lot on my devices, so there's no chance of me seeing a lag-free electronic device. However, the issue of the apps is almost equally as synonymous as it is antonymous. Yes Blackberry apps get updated less, but support is shotty at best. So, when there is an issue, people are left without the app's functionality for weeks, months, and, in some cases, years. Developers tend not to update their apps to be compatible with the varied formats presented by Blackberry devices. As a result, someone with a Z10 might have a perfectly pleasant experience while someone someone with a Passport will be left in the cold. On the other hand, the constantly updating apps on android can sometimes result in a slew of misfortune in much the same way as Blackberry experience. I'm sorry, but you can't say Android is wrong for constantly having updates any more than you can say Blackberry is wrong for not having enough. That is simply the name of the smartphone game.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 08:44 PM
74 123