Could it be possible for BlackBerry to release two versions of the Slider? One would be BB10 native on the Slider and the other one would be Android Lollipop? Ofcourse the quantity in which both are made will have a different ratio.. probably a 30/70 split in favor of Android since that might sell more?

Your thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 01:32 AM
    I'm guessing the Slider will be Android. I doubt that they would make two versions. Just my thoughts.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 02:50 AM
    Would it be in their favor if they did make two versions?

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 04:33 AM
    Howbout a BBslider with BB10 then a BBslider Edge with Android? Hmmmm

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 04:34 AM
    I thought the same thing when they said that they are considering android software. If they do release an android software on the slider, I hope they release a BB10 one too because I like BB10 more than android.

Posted via CB10
    pttptppt, lactose and Steelsheen like this.
    06-13-15 05:01 AM
    Howbout a BBslider with BB10 then a BBslider Edge with Android? Hmmmm

Posted via CB10
    I don't like that idea

Z10
    06-13-15 05:23 AM
    How about you choose which os you want to have installed at startup? Sort of a MSFT approach to xiaomi, except it is between two blackberry choices?

I would use a BlackBerry android device

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 06:13 AM
    I thought the same thing when they said that they are considering android software. If they do release an android software on the slider, I hope they release a BB10 one too because I like BB10 more than android.

Posted via CB10
    I wanted this too but then I realized something. The android slider will sell better which will result in BlackBerry not giving much support for bb10. They'll probably update only the security portion and just not add new features

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 09:58 AM
    I don't want a stinking android. More power to you if you do but I'm happy with bb10. I want it to keep being an option for me. And not just pkb phones

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    06-13-15 10:01 AM
    Maybe the Android version will be made and sold by Samsung.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 10:05 AM
    never had a android before. What is so bad about it besides the security concerns?

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 11:09 AM
    never had a android before. What is so bad about it besides the security concerns?

Posted via CB10
    Besides that, nothing, really. And all the complaints people will list after this reply are just things of the past.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    06-13-15 11:12 AM
    Besides that, nothing, really. And all the complaints people will list after this reply are just things of the past.
    I'm sure you'll say these are things of the past but I know from using many different androids that the following are still problems on ALL androids:
    -Battery life
    -Lag (not so much in apps, but mostly on homescreen and switching apps

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 11:25 AM
    Again, the problem with selling both Android and BB10 devices is that OHA rules would require removing the Android Runtime from BB10.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2204
    06-13-15 11:39 AM
    Agreed
    06-13-15 11:47 AM
    Too much speculations.. too few comments from BlackBerry

Simply 
    06-13-15 12:15 PM
    I'm sure you'll say these are things of the past but I know from using many different androids that the following are still problems on ALL androids:
    -Battery life
    -Lag (not so much in apps, but mostly on homescreen and switching apps
    I know from using my RAZR Maxx HD that the battery lasts much longer than most smartphones. That was its selling point. Some phones have a great battery, some not so much.

And my Nexus 7 never lags. My 1 GB Maxx does, but not the Nexus. Again, depends on the device.

Not only is every android different, but every user installs different apps which also affects how well an android works. One persons Samsung might work fine, while another fills their's with task killers and memory optimizers only to find it's worse than letting android work as intended.
    06-13-15 12:38 PM
    With BBRY already trimming their staff to the bare minimum, I can't imagine they'd have enough people to both maintain and improve BB10 while at the same time forking a version of Android that they can secure and add BB elements to. Look at how long it has taken to build from QNX to PlayBook OS to BB10. People seem to think they just "install Android" on it like it's an install .exe or something. I'm still skeptical that Android as the OS can be secured to a BB acceptable level, it's a whole different ballgame than Bes12 containerization.

Maybe the Android version will be made and sold by Samsung.
    Posted via CB10
    And then people would buy it because it says BlackBerry? Why would Samsung try to compete with themselves? If there was enough interest in a device like this, why wouldn't they just put out a Galaxy Slider S? Are there other smartphones that Samsung makes that are rebranded by another company? What exactly is BBRY bringing to the deal?
    06-13-15 12:48 PM
    I cannot wait for a Slider and I love BlackBerry, but I did pick up a free Huawei Ascend Mate 2 through WIND. Figured it was free and a chance to dig deep with Android. To be honest, so long as BlackBerry somehow (and they can) maintained the security and work/personal split, an android BlackBerry device would work. It's not so much the OS, it's the features within the BlackBerry programs that I find I miss.

So if BlackBerry set up all of the BlackBerry functionality as a separate, self encapsulated suite or something, it just might be a big win for them. There is a lot you can do with an Android device that will never be possible on a BlackBerry (Hell, I didn't think it would be possible on a phone!!). Being able to download, compile and then stream a torrent to your TV - pretty cool.

I don't think the Slider is the Android device they had in mind, but it would work. Hopefully, once they develop the Android set up there will be an ability to port it - that would rock.

X

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 01:02 PM
    I know from using my RAZR Maxx HD that the battery lasts much longer than most smartphones. That was its selling point. Some phones have a great battery, some not so much.

And my Nexus 7 never lags. My 1 GB Maxx does, but not the Nexus. Again, depends on the device.

Not only is every android different, but every user installs different apps which also affects how well an android works. One persons Samsung might work fine, while another fills their's with task killers and memory optimizers only to find it's worse than letting android work as intended.
    I highly doubt what you're saying. Maybe battery life is good for you but maybe because you're a light user

As for lag, try swiping through settings, on the homescreens, switching through apps..etc. On android, it stutters or lags. On bb10, it's fine

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 01:16 PM
    With BBRY already trimming their staff to the bare minimum, I can't imagine they'd have enough people to both maintain and improve BB10 while at the same time forking a version of Android that they can secure and add BB elements to. Look at how long it has taken to build from QNX to PlayBook OS to BB10. People seem to think they just "install Android" on it like it's an install .exe or something. I'm still skeptical that Android as the OS can be secured to a BB acceptable level, it's a whole different ballgame than Bes12 containerization.

And then people would buy it because it says BlackBerry? Why would Samsung try to compete with themselves? If there was enough interest in a device like this, why wouldn't they just put out a Galaxy Slider S? Are there other smartphones that Samsung makes that are rebranded by another company? What exactly is BBRY bringing to the deal?
    I guess BlackBerry would bring their Passport PKB design and they have come up with a better slider mechanism. Samsung would bring the curved screen etc.

Just a thought ..common in the auto industry. Alfa and Mazda sports car for example.
    06-13-15 01:42 PM
    BlackBerry can't release an Android phone as their flagship device.. that's just silly in the current market where they can't even develop BBM for Android competently, never mind bringing a BlackBerry experience ready for later this year.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    06-13-15 09:28 PM
    I in no way want and Android phone. If i did if would have what ever Samsung flavor of the week is being offered. Switching to Android is an epic mistake.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 02:23 AM
    I have to admit that I'd get the slider regardless of OS.
    I want BB10.
    But since I don't see BlackBerry making any phone I'd actually want to get besides the slider, I'd be going to some sort of Android anyway. Basically either way, BlackBerry is going to push me to use android whether it's on a BlackBerry device or an LG, Samsung, etc.

I love this Z30 except I still miss, even after 2+ years, the physical keyboard. But not interested in the small and/or square screened bb10 devices that have been put out to date.

If they gave the Z30 an upgrade like a decent camera and a really nice screen, I might consider that as well. To be honest I've never used another smartphone or operating system besides bbos and bb10. But I just have the feeling the end is near for BlackBerry handsets in general. So the only way I'd stay with BlackBerry running Android is for the slider, but I hope it keeps the BlackBerry 10 OS.

Now I'm reading that soon BlackBerry won't be able to run Android apps in the runtime? So if that is the case maybe it's all over either way.

With Chen firing everyone I don't see them being able to make bb10 apps or even making OS updates. I really think Chen is killing BlackBerry and has no love for the phones or the OS or the die-hard fans. The guy should be out there like John Legere doing everything to promote the company. To explain why BlackBerry is good compared to the competition. But when you're releasing overpriced outdated crap phones I guess you can't. Was hoping the slider would be so quality that it would wow people. I give Chen a vote of no confidence. They should replace him with someone who has passion but even then I think it's too late. Even the late Steve Jobs probably couldn't turn this around.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.680 / T-Mobile USA
    14JEEP likes this.
    06-14-15 02:56 AM
    BlackBerry can't comment as of now due to the upcoming earnings call.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 07:05 AM
74 123