I'm not sure if anyone else has suggested this, but what about a 2-stage slider. The first position would expose just a capacitive track pad (with fingerprint scanning capability). This would allow for scrolling etc.

Then of course, the second stage would expose the 4 row physical keyboard.

The fully extended mode would then have the lower area with the central track pad right below the space bar. Very similar to laptops.

What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 12:03 PM
    Interesting... but I wonder if that would be a bit inconvenient and awkward for scrolling. You'd be constantly opening the phone every time you wanted to scroll? I'd probably just use the touch screen.

The best way to solve this in my opinion is what they already had with the Torch - a toolbelt at the base of the screen with a trackpad, which is always visible and usable regardless of whether the keyboard is open. It was a perfect location even with the keyboard open.

I'm a bit distressed that the only view of the proto-Slider seemed to be lacking a toolbelt, and that all of the renders have followed suit. I'm glad the company is rediscovering the importance of keyboards and toolbelts and I hope they go "Full Torch" with this one. A capacitive keyboard MIGHT soften the pain if they don't. But I wish they didn't appear to be re-inventing the wheel.

The 2-stage slider I really want to see is one that clicks open to a "full open" position, then rotates 90 degrees and locks so you have a landscape view of the screen. Not sure what that would feel like to hold but if it worked I'd be in heaven.
    05-04-15 01:04 PM
    I think sliders appeal to a minority of people who like to play with their hardware. Most, however, will tire of this very quickly. What's the advantage of stage 1? Your device is an inch shorter?
    05-04-15 01:21 PM
    The track pad would be used possibly for gaming. And most certainly for fine selections where you don't cover the part of the screen you want. Not to mention the fingerprint reader could be the size of your thumb.

I don't think we want to give up screen real estate to keep it always out. Hence it is the first stage of extension.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 02:02 PM