10-21-15 08:49 AM
96 1234
tools
    That is a seriously weighty phone. I had to abandon my Classic because of it's 177g heft - I just found it too heavy to use and type on comfortably.

I shouldn't judge until I've held one I suppose as weight and balance are two different things, but initial thoughts are that this is a deal-breaker for me.

Will anything replace my fantastic 9900?!!
    get real
    10-18-15 08:24 AM
    Unfortunately the market has spoken, they want big phones. Compact phones are just not popular because it's all about media consumption instead of productivity. Naturally with that kind of screen size it adds a bit of heft. I hate it too but at least someone is still making a QWERTY phone.

192g - Too heavy?-mobile-phone-evolution.png

Heck, maybe we'll see DynaTACs and bag phones soon.
    WT44 likes this.
    10-18-15 08:25 AM
    I have the BlackBerry SE Passport and iPhone 6s which I thinker is heavier than the 6 cause of the new re-inforced whatever it's made of, and I can barely feel the difference between the two in weight.
    10-18-15 08:29 AM
    Well I was already going to remove some of the pre-installed apps to shave a few grams off...
    Well Tramp man at least you are getting some traffic in this Stupid thread .
    10-18-15 08:35 AM
    56g heavier than the Z10. That's a 41% increase in weight--pretty significant.

But if the Classic is like the old BB7 units, I never had any problems with those. To some degree it's not about the weight, it's about the overall form factor--how big it is, how heavy it is, where the weight comes from, is it concentrated in one place, etc.
    Do you expect a SUV to weight the same as a sedan? The weight is within the competition on this size, in fact is amazing that Blackberry is packing a slider mechanism and a physical keyboard and still can be as thin and light as the competition, even packing one of the biggest batteries.
    anon4226395 likes this.
    10-18-15 08:38 AM
    Unfortunately the market has spoken, they want big phones. Compact phones are just not popular because it's all about media consumption instead of productivity.
    In my case, I like a larger screen for productivity, not media consumption. Not sure why you think a larger screen is at the expense of productivity. For my work, I am opening up PDF SK's, Specs, Cut Sheets, spreadsheets, etc..

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 and TGR1 like this.
    10-18-15 08:41 AM
    That is a seriously weighty phone. I had to abandon my Classic because of it's 177g heft - I just found it too heavy to use and type on comfortably.

I shouldn't judge until I've held one I suppose as weight and balance are two different things, but initial thoughts are that this is a deal-breaker for me.

It seems our "Hapless_Tramp" makes it practice to whine about the weight of each new BlackBerry device! Follows the same posting template too, it appears.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post11179416

I've not had my hands on one yet, but at 48g heavier than my Bold 9900 I would regard the weight as a concern. People seem incredulous that this may be a problem for some, but surely Blackberry users of all people should understand that people have different tastes in aesthetics?

TechRadar for example have put up an early review listing it's first 'Against' point for the Classic as "Chunky & Heavy".

I will definitely be in the market for one and it may just feel great in my hand and pocket, but until I can judge, my initial thoughts are that the phone is heavier than I would like.

I have to say I'm very surprised at the large amount of puerile responses (on Crackberry of all places) to what at least seems a reasonable point of discussion.
    10-18-15 08:42 AM
    Unfortunately the market has spoken, they want big phones. Compact phones are just not popular because it's all about media consumption instead of productivity. Naturally with that kind of screen size it adds a bit of heft. I hate it too but at least someone is still making a QWERTY phone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mobile-Phone-Evolution.png 
Views:	1365 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	376300

Nah, at that point just attach a headset to your laptop.

And that actually brings up a point that isn't conveyed by that graphic (although maybe it is). What would a graph of handset capability look like? Maybe the white rectangles representing the screen are a better indicator of the marginal benefit provided to a user.

To the left you have single-purpose devices (make a call), and as you move right, you gain sms, wap, email, browser, video, --> full blown micro computers.

The market isn't entirely 'dumb'. It wants larger devices because the devices are capable of more functions (which require more than just a mic and a speaker).

Posted via CB10
    00stryder and TGR1 like this.
    10-18-15 08:43 AM
    I was worried the Passport was too heavy, but definitely got used to it fairly quickly.

As long as you aren't holding something lighter in one hand, your body is pretty bad at telling.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 08:45 AM
    Well I was already going to remove some of the pre-installed apps to shave a few grams off...
    Excellent idea. Removing the battery helps immeasurably too.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 O2 UK
    10-18-15 08:47 AM
    I cant understand people moaning about the weight of a phone. Do you have someone that carries all of your shopping for you when you go out? Man up

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Because no matter what a phone has, someone is going to isolate one aspect of it and complain that it is not as good as some other phone. I can take ANY phone on the market and point out one aspect or feature of it that is not as good as other phones on the market. You better believe if they shaved weight by putting in a smaller battery, that would become the "deal breaker" that many would be up in arms about instead.

The OP is entitled to his own criteria that are important to him in a handset. For sure he can find a device that suits his weight requirements. I can also guarantee that it will be lacking when compared to the Priv in other areas that may be more important to someone else.

I don't know yet if I would get a Priv, but I am happy to see they didn't skimp on the battery. That is more important to me than the weight. To each his own.

Posted via CB10
    dannykavs likes this.
    10-18-15 08:55 AM
    I cant understand people moaning about the weight of a phone. Do you have someone that carries all of your shopping for you when you go out? Man up
    I'm not remotely 'moaning' about the weight of the phone. The weight it is is the weight it is. I'm just saying it may be too heavy for me as I prefer lighter units.

I don't tend to carry my shopping around in my pocket all day.
    WT44 likes this.
    10-18-15 09:07 AM
    It'll be fine. Weight difference between the Z30 and Q5 is 50g but the Z is balanced and you like the bigger screen more. Also, the 6+ and Notes are hugely popular. In part because in practice they saved weight by not needing to carry a tablet.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 09:10 AM
    Back then, nobody complained about DynaTAC's weight. You'll get used to it.
    10-18-15 09:25 AM
    It seems our "Hapless_Tramp" makes it practice to whine about the weight of each new BlackBerry device!
    'Whining'? Really? Just making the rational point that different factors in purchasing a phone affect different folks. One of them for me, is the weight and feel of a device. I purchased a Classic, gave it about four weeks and found it not suitable. On that basis, I worry I may feel the same about the (heavier) Priv. As a BB nut, I'm still highly likely to buy one at some point and hope my misgivings will prove to be ill-founded.
    WT44 likes this.
    10-18-15 09:31 AM
    It is much lighter than my CCW.

Posted via CB10
    Adam Frix likes this.
    10-18-15 09:37 AM
    Well, if your preferred viewing position is holding it over your head while lying in bed I can tell you right now that you will find it too heavy. This is part of the reason for the Z30 chin. It's a ledge/grip area.

I'm still using a 740g tablet only for vids. Now that's heavy. Glad I have a case to prop it up. Air2 is 437g by comparison.

Posted via CB10
    WT44 likes this.
    10-18-15 09:40 AM
    Excellent idea. Removing the battery helps immeasurably too.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 O2 UK
    And the keyboard...
    Also removing that heavy virtual android back button...

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    10-18-15 10:28 AM
    As has been said, the market dictates size and other issues like this. I for one like to use my phone for as much as I can. Instead of always lugging around my ipad, I like having a large enough screen to view documents and such. I think it is a good size. It really is in the middle of today's market.
    10-18-15 10:35 AM
    Everyone want a good built device with huge battery and good materials but then they complain about few grams lol....

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    .....but then you are the HULK man, so no need to complain about lifting a few extra grams.
    10-18-15 10:41 AM
    'Whining'? Really? Just making the rational point that different factors in purchasing a phone affect different folks. One of them for me, is the weight and feel of a device. I purchased a Classic, gave it about four weeks and found it not suitable. On that basis, I worry I may feel the same about the (heavier) Priv. As a BB nut, I'm still highly likely to buy one at some point and hope my misgivings will prove to be ill-founded.
    Please don't buy one. If the Classic was too heavy for you, why in the world would you even consider the Priv? You are not making any sense. Please don't buy the Priv, because if you do we are guaranteed to see another thread by you telling us it is too heavy. You already know what is important to you, so that is what you should buy. Find a light weight phone and be happy.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 10:58 AM
    Yes 192 gms is too heavy. I even feel Z30 177 gms heavy in my pocket. I was expecting lighter phones.

Z30 10.3.2.2789 thru CB10
    WT44 likes this.
    10-18-15 11:37 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mobile-Phone-Evolution.png 
Views:	1365 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	376300

Interesting diagram. I'm guessing the size reduction was due to improving battery technology, and the later size increases are due to the phone becoming more and more a "media" player.

I think there's a natural limit to the growth though. My Lumia 1520 is huge! It's just on the limits of phone portability, I wouldn't want anything bigger, and I think it's notable that recent phones seem to be slightly smaller.

Sent from my Awesome Lumia 1520
    10-18-15 11:59 AM
    Q10
    The best phone!

Posted via PP
    10-18-15 12:09 PM
    Everyone want a good built device with huge battery and good materials but then they complain about few grams lol....

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    Yeah. Then when plastic is used to lower the weight, everybody complains that it "feels and looks cheap " with the plastic. ROFL
    10-18-15 12:19 PM
96 1234