I don't own a Priv but I want to. How could I possibly be safe when things like this happen?

10 million Android devices reportedly infected with Chinese malware
    07-05-16 04:43 PM
    Stay away from China?
    MC_A_DOT, Wezard, MTBBguy and 2 others like this.
    07-05-16 04:49 PM
    Keep it in your pocket.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-05-16 04:53 PM
    The bulk of victims are in China and India, with 1.6 million and 1.35 million cases respectively. The Philippines, Indonesia and Turkey are toward the top of the list, too. The US has 288,800 infected devices. The UK and Australia each have fewer than 100,000 devices affected.
    I bet the majority of these are people getting paid apps from untrusted sources which is why the majority are in countries where the Playstore does not exist: China or from countries that have a much higher percentage of users who don't or cannot pay for apps.

Reduce your exposure by not sideloading android apps. Getting a 'free' paid app from other app stores/weblinks may save you some money but you'll pay for it eventually. Download only apps that are well-known. There is still some small risk with apps in the Playstore but if you follow those two rules your chance of getting malware is highly unlikely.
    07-05-16 04:57 PM
    I bet the majority of these are people getting paid apps from untrusted sources which is why the majority are in countries where the Playstore does not exist: China or from countries that have a much higher percentage of users who don't or cannot pay for apps.

Reduce your exposure by not sideloading android apps. Getting a 'free' paid app from other app stores/weblinks may save you some money but you'll pay for it eventually. Download only apps that are well-known. There is still some small risk with apps in the Playstore but if you follow those two rules your chance of getting malware is highly unlikely.
    Article says it's drive-by downloads, i.e. infected ads. More like going to dodgy sites to get APKs.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-05-16 05:00 PM
    Use a rotary phone?
    07-05-16 05:23 PM
    Use a rotary phone?
    Bwaaaahaha.... LOVE IT....

My how short some of our memories are...

MBrettH likes this.
    07-05-16 05:43 PM
    I wonder if the ''unrootable'' priv should withstand this

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 
    07-05-16 05:55 PM

If you are rooted then you are exposed to auto-install apk that bypasses the 'unknown sources' setting. So yes there are protections with PRIV for that. If you bypass that manually because you want to install an apk that promises something free in exchange then it won't protect you.
    07-05-16 06:03 PM

According to the article, well at least the one I read on the topic, didn't bother checking the one linked here, but the malware attempts to gain root access, and if it does not, it then creates a system update notification that apparently gives it enough elevation to do what it needs to do. So, while it won't be able to gain root on the Priv, if you happen to fall prey to the system update notification, yes, it is possible to infect our phones. That said, it's entirely unlikely if, as the above posters have mentioned, you avoid bad apps and bad app websites.
    07-06-16 07:50 AM
    http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/10/...roid-platform/

07-06-16 12:56 PM
    According to the article, well at least the one I read on the topic, didn't bother checking the one linked here, but the malware attempts to gain root access, and if it does not, it then creates a system update notification that apparently gives it enough elevation to do what it needs to do. So, while it won't be able to gain root on the Priv, if you happen to fall prey to the system update notification, yes, it is possible to infect our phones. That said, it's entirely unlikely if, as the above posters have mentioned, you avoid bad apps and bad app websites.
    Well that's unlikely to trick our AT&T and Verizon friends, considering their devices never gets system updates :P.
    07-06-16 01:40 PM
    That's why never in my life I hold an android phone.

Posted via CB10
    Flatman likes this.
    07-06-16 04:27 PM
    I don't own a Priv but I want to. How could I possibly be safe when things like this happen?

10 million Android devices reportedly infected with Chinese malware
    Use a Priv and it won't happen.
    Bay 13, MTBBguy and raremage like this.
    07-06-16 05:12 PM
    Well that's unlikely to trick our AT&T and Verizon friends, considering their devices never gets system updates :P.
    my Android on VZW got an update just today. So.....
    Flatman likes this.
    07-06-16 06:19 PM
    Aprils security patch must have been pushed by a noob lol
    07-06-16 09:51 PM
    Stay away from China?
    SHOCKING!
    07-07-16 10:48 AM
    That's why never in my life I hold an android phone.

Posted via CB10
    iPhone is so much safer ? Not the ones in China. And not overall. Both have their risk just like any desktop /laptop computer does.

Using PRIV since Nov 6, 2015
    07-07-16 12:39 PM
    iPhone is so much safer ? Not the ones in China. And not overall. Both have their risk just like any desktop /laptop computer does.

Using PRIV since Nov 6, 2015
    The Apple system is CLOSED so it is much safer than anything on Android. Think of it as Windows versus Mac. Widows is a much better system running everything while the Mac is closed and more secure versus IE attacks.

One other thought the I phones in China do not run the same version of OS as the rest of the world. Apple sold its soul to the Chinese Government to sell and gave them all sorts of back doors for control.
    Last edited by thatguyusa; 07-08-16 at 02:50 PM.
    07-07-16 04:21 PM
    The Apple system is CLOSED so it is much safer than anything on Android. Think of it as Windows versus Mac. Widows is a much better system running everything while the Mac is closed and more secure versus IE attacks.

One other thought the I phones in China do not run the same version of OS as the rest of the world. Apple sold its soul to the Chinese Government to sell and gave them all sorts of back doors for control.
    you sure about that? this is right from the end of the article -
    "Yingmob may be the first group to have its high degree of organization and financial self-sufficiency exposed to the public, but it certainly won't be the last," Check Point said.
    Malware has done considerable damage to mobile platforms over the past year. Apple, previously known for being virus and malware-proof, has been hit by multiple attacks, including some perpetrated by the same group behind HummingBad, according to Check Point.

Yingmob did not immediately responded to a request for comment.
    chrispmoto likes this.
    07-08-16 08:04 PM
    Let me clarify this real quick. You are protected from auto install if you don't use "install from another source" checked in the off position. If you have the on and you download the APK it will install. Now the priv has a TPM (trusted platform module) this is what stops people and programs from rooting the PRIV. Meaning even if this APK is on your phone and possibly installed it won't gain root access. That means that you won't get affected.Because this is a root kit what it's trying to do is gain those admin privileges which the priv won't give up. That's how you are protected. You are also protected because you should be on Marshmellow and, this exploits a vulnerability on previous OS's. so the odds are that you are much safer than what you think. Additionally they stated that only 28,000 devices in the USA were infected. Small percentage but yeah...And lookout and or DTEK should be able to detect it.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-09-16 03:04 AM
    You have a good point there, you also have to think about this. Apple just opened up their software for review. Now people think this is great, but black hats will also be looking, and they won't report the bugs. Additionally, Mac was much safer because it used a completely different infrastructure (was it called power pc i don't remember) but they now use the same hardware as PC (architecture wise intel and all) so theres not much difference there, Additionally you have to remember market share, the larger you are the more eyes on you. And Apple has grown significantly. And I don't belive that they were closed as in secure, i think they were closed as in exclusive. People still developed for them, they didn't have an App store from what I remember. So it''s much different. If you can root a device you hack a device. you have to protect that admin privilege. and that's the issue here. BTW i also think that Samsung devices may be protected as well, (the ones with KNOX capabilities, they also have TPM's and a root from what I remember wasn't completly possible correct me if I'm wrong here.)
    07-09-16 03:11 AM
    you sure about that? this is right from the end of the article -
    "Yingmob may be the first group to have its high degree of organization and financial self-sufficiency exposed to the public, but it certainly won't be the last," Check Point said.
    Malware has done considerable damage to mobile platforms over the past year. Apple, previously known for being virus and malware-proof, has been hit by multiple attacks, including some perpetrated by the same group behind HummingBad, according to Check Point.

Yingmob did not immediately responded to a request for comment.
    Yes you need to be cleared through the APPLE Store, they catch almost all of it. With Android 3rd party apps tend to sneak thought
    07-09-16 08:32 AM