Today is my one year with the Priv. I have to say I have enjoyed the phone. It took awhile to like Android. BlackBerry 10 is much better. I also do not use the keyboard that much. I am up in the air about the Mercury and now open to other Android phones like the Galaxy. Does anyone think the Mercury will be a winner?
    FF22 and ivabiggun71 like this.
    01-16-17 06:07 PM
    I just hope the Mercury's keyboard will be big enough to be able to type without my reading glasses. Unfortunately on priv I'm using the virtual keyboard because without my reading glasses I cannot see the physical keys well enough.
    01-16-17 07:42 PM
    I like my Priv but yes, I enjoyed the BB10 experience much more. I have had the phone for a little less than a year and it's been very useful. I'm thinking about the Mercury only because it's the last built by BlackBerry phone, I don't mind keeping my Priv for much longer time if the Mercury doesn't convince me. I'm going to wait and see what the Mercury brings, if I don't think it's worth the investment I won't buy it.
    Bfalcon1 likes this.
    01-16-17 10:17 PM
    When I first received my Passport the experience was thrilling. Now the Priv which is a nice phone, don't take me wrong. However, the experience... meh...
    01-17-17 01:03 AM
    I just hope the Mercury's keyboard will be big enough to be able to type without my reading glasses. Unfortunately on priv I'm using the virtual keyboard because without my reading glasses I cannot see the physical keys well enough.
    I suggest to you that you do what I did: I got multi-focal contact lenses. Then you can see and type.
    01-17-17 08:56 AM
    Don't hold out too much hope...mercury is narrow than Passport more like Priv so keyboard will be somewhat similar to Passport look but 3 rows & keys look to be slightly larger than Priv since slider mechanism allows the array to be closer to the bezel on either side.

... my focus of concern would be for the screen size & utility, but most of all for how the naked keyboard would fare in pocket.

... I would venture a guess the design of mercury would make a cover a must
    Bfalcon1 likes this.
    01-17-17 09:15 AM
    When I first received my Passport the experience was thrilling. Now the Priv which is a nice phone, don't take me wrong. However, the experience... meh...
    Well, I've never seen a Passport. But I still think the Priv is a handsome looking device. While I generally have it enshrined in a case, when I take it out, it really is nice looking and feeling.

Whether it really needed its curved sides remains a question but it helps the appearance.
    skinnymike1 and Bfalcon1 like this.
    01-17-17 10:11 AM
    I guess what I should have stated was that once I tried and used the Priv/Android it opened up my thinking to try another Android phone like a Galaxy. I am still hesitant for I am a loyal Blackberry user. To me TCL is not Blackberry. Let's see what they come out with.
    skinnymike1 and newcollector like this.
    01-17-17 12:51 PM
    Today is my one year with the Priv. I have to say I have enjoyed the phone. It took awhile to like Android. BlackBerry 10 is much better. I also do not use the keyboard that much. I am up in the air about the Mercury and now open to other Android phones like the Galaxy. Does anyone think the Mercury will be a winner?
    I wouldn't bother with the Galaxy's. I don't even use my S7 Edge because other than the slightly faster camera shutter I find my Priv is lot nicer to use. The Priv's user interface is much cleaner and doesn't have the useless gimmicks and useless notifications that you can't even turn off like on the Galaxy. The Priv is the first Android phone that I have used for more than a few months and even to the point I purchased a spare one during the Black Friday sale in case my original Nov 6, 15 one packs it in LOL.
    Last edited by buwee; 01-17-17 at 01:17 PM.
    FF22 and anon(3641385) like this.
    01-17-17 01:04 PM
    I have both the Passport OG & the SE and I LOVED them, but unfortunately BB10 is dead now and a lot of the few apps were no longer working properly so I had no choice but to box them up, store them in the closet and move on...so sad to see a great O/S dying.
    Bfalcon1 and mennonitesausage like this.
    01-17-17 01:16 PM
    ]I guess what I should have stated was that once I tried and used the Priv/Android it opened up my thinking to try another Android phone like a Galaxy[/HL]. I am still hesitant for I am a loyal Blackberry user. To me TCL is not Blackberry. Let's see what they come out with.
    That was always the "danger" in BB moving to Android. Once folks became exposed to Android, they might find it not terrible and then the options expand far beyond only BB devices.
    01-17-17 02:33 PM
    That was always the "danger" in BB moving to Android. Once folks became exposed to Android, they might find it not terrible and then the options expand far beyond only BB devices.
    I like the fact that now I get all the Android capability but retain a fair amount of BlackBerry elements i.e. The Hub, calender, PKB etc. It's the reason I stuck with a Blackberry Android device instead of venturing into the Samsung or LG Android variants.

Made the transition from BlackBerry 10 to Android less painful as well!
    01-17-17 02:57 PM
    Yes, that is an obvious effect of being pushed to search for the "right" apps to replace the native apps that BBOS and BB10 provided. I've decided to seek out the apps from the other phone makers to buy for my priv because I tend to think that they will be more stable, receive updates, and so far, they have not sought intrusive access.

I think that bb needs to re-consider about not supplying some of the apps like: file manager, sms, calculator, and a number of others and include them as standard. One of the reasons I've been given for bb not including those standard apps is that they can't do better than what else is on offer, eg google standard app, but that's not the point, the point is if someone doesn't want to use the BB app then they'll buy another. I've only ever stuck with the bb apps, I've never looked elsewhere for file manager, music, camera etc etc ....
    01-17-17 06:05 PM
    Yes, that is an obvious effect of being pushed to search for the "right" apps to replace the native apps that BBOS and BB10 provided. I've decided to seek out the apps from the other phone makers to buy for my priv because I tend to think that they will be more stable, receive updates, and so far, they have not sought intrusive access.

I think that bb needs to re-consider about not supplying some of the apps like: file manager, sms, calculator, and a number of others and include them as standard. One of the reasons I've been given for bb not including those standard apps is that they can't do better than what else is on offer, eg google standard app, but that's not the point, the point is if someone doesn't want to use the BB app then they'll buy another. I've only ever stuck with the bb apps, I've never looked elsewhere for file manager, music, camera etc etc ....
    I think it is an issue of MONEY. They don't have the money or the programmers to work on such software any longer. And they expect that with the choices out there, we should be able to find something we like. My bigger problem is finding a developer that I trust browsing around my file system. Or recording every site I visit. My taste in classical music, not so much but reporting to the music companies that I moved some vinyl tracks to mp3 might be a problem!!!
    01-17-17 10:45 PM

I tend to agree with this. I've always liked the simplicity yet power that BB10 OS and its apps brought. I know there are a million apps out there like file managers and the like, but I like what BlackBerry tends to produce.
    Bfalcon1 likes this.
    01-17-17 10:45 PM
    Don't hold out too much hope...mercury is narrow than Passport more like Priv so keyboard will be somewhat similar to Passport look but 3 rows & keys look to be slightly larger than Priv since slider mechanism allows the array to be closer to the bezel on either side.

... my focus of concern would be for the screen size & utility, but most of all for how the naked keyboard would fare in pocket.

... I would venture a guess the design of mercury would make a cover a must
    Why? I've had several pkb BlackBerrys for years and never had a problem with it in the pocket.
    01-17-17 11:46 PM
    Agree.... back in 2010 when there was a lot of talk about how BlackBerry should use Android, I didn't agree.

But today with Nougat, things are very different in the Android World. That's one of the issues that BB10 faced, both Android and iOS have improved their own security features in the three or four years it took BB10 to come to market (and get out of beta). And they both continue to do so..... all while offering a fuller all around experience.

Now if BB10 had the Apps and TCL's hardware... sure I'd go back. But I've found Android very power and customizable.
    Bfalcon1, newcollector and FF22 like this.
    01-18-17 07:47 AM
    That first move from BB10 to BlackDroid was filled with anxiety for me. Just getting around the OS, discovering where settings were to do what, figuring out the difference between hitting the triangle and the square at the bottom of the screen. Simple things like that plus figuring out what apps are better than others. Thankfully I had a friend who was available to guide me when I was stumped on customization.

Now 8 months later I am very glad I made the move. I am comfortable with how to customize my Priv according to how I like to use it. I have discovered some very good apps even though I am not a huge app user.

I also have thought about shifting to other Android phonemakers, especially when I was suffering through the No Service issue that some AT&T Privs, but I love the BlackBerry pkb and vkb, and the Hub. Plus I appreciate getting security updates quickly and regularly.

What has been interesting is my AT&T locked Priv was purchased on ebay so now I get the updates straight from BlackBerry since the No Service fix.
    01-18-17 08:36 AM
    I read so many messages in the CB forums mentioning that android is no where close to bb10. No disrespect for those comments but i have used it too for more than 2 years and then moved to Android. To be honest i did take couple of weeks to get used to an Android. But then on it was smooth. App gap with bb10 was so very frustrating. Getting out of the limitations of apps in the bb10 was liberating to say the least!!
    Last edited by rkp10001; 01-18-17 at 09:50 PM.
    mennonitesausage and Bfalcon1 like this.
    01-18-17 10:05 AM
    I read so many messages in the CB forums mentioning that android is no where close to bb10. No respect for thief comment but i have used it too for more than 2 years and then moved to Android. To be honest i did take couple of weeks to get used to an Android. But then on it was smooth. App gap with bb10 was so very frustrating. Getting out of the limitations of apps in the bb10 was liberating to say the least!!
    Read 'disrespect'instead of 'respect' up. Swipe..
    01-18-17 10:08 AM
    Read 'disrespect'instead of 'respect' up. Swipe..
    Just for your information - you can edit and delete your posts. The option box is in the same row/line as the reply/quote/etc line. In EDIT mode you can Delete, too, if you want.
    01-18-17 02:02 PM
    Just for your information - you can edit and delete your posts. The option box is in the same row/line as the reply/quote/etc line. In EDIT mode you can Delete, too, if you want.
    Ya just realised and edit my comments. Didn't see the delete message option though
    01-18-17 09:52 PM
    Ya just realised and edit my comments. Didn't see the delete message option though
    It is in the cluster outlined in RED when you enter Delete mode. But you have to then click/tick a circle to confirm deletion.

1 Year with the Priv-cb-del.jpg
    01-18-17 10:34 PM