In the past few years I owned an iPhone 4, a Nexus 5, a BlackBerry Classic and I currently own an iPhone 5s (spotify for my car) and the PRIV. In the meantime I tested an iPhone 6s, a Passport and a few android devices.

I waited eagerly for the PRIV, as the Classic wore me down with it's bugs and lack of apps. I really wanted a pkb and I also missed my productivity apps.

Pros:
    - good battery life. I can easily go through the day with a pebble time and Bluetooth headset attached. With neither of those, and a slow week, I get 2 days.

- big screen. I expected this to be a problem, but I got used to it fast. It's a bit more difficult to type one handed, but it's doable. I read a lot, so this was a great improvement from the Classic. Also, given the virtual keyboard is so large, i can type pretty accurately with it, so I use the pkb only for long texts.

- mostly stock Android. not having 6.0 is, I hope, a short term inconvenience. It's better to wait and iron out all the bugs. Even nexus devices usually have bugs with major version releases.

- camera: significant improvement from previous berries but I expected more. Also that one time I needed it, I couldn't get panorama to work.

- optional pkb

Cons:
    - BlackBerry stock apps are mostly crap. I mean, they have 5 apps or so, and they managed to release them half-baked.

Contacts gives me duplicate numbers. D-tek is mostly useless. The hub has delays (i loved hub on the bb10 but I'm using it less and less). Google calendar is way better (granted, after a quick glance I didn't even try, considering how bad it was on bb10). Quick glance is still there but I use it once a week tops.

- squeaky backside from lack of wireless charger. Solved that one by inserting a card, but i broke the middle side-button in the process (OK trade-off imo, as the button annoyed me).

- price: when I purchased the device, I justified the cost for being a high-end device, on par with the latest Droids and the iPhone, but I value the phone at about 600 euro/dollars.

- performance: I'm not playing games on it, but it doesn't work as fast as it should with these specs.

- pkb : it's a matter of preference. IMO the classic has the best keyboard blackberry ever made and the Passport is a close second. I don't really like this pkb, but fortunately the virtual keyboard is good enough for 1-2 paragraphs.

- doesn't feel as premium as previous berries. I pick up my dad's passport from time to time and it feels awesome. This one feels more like a Samsung plastic. I use my phones naked.

Other:
    - overheating: rarely does, usually when I switch off airplane mode. It probably retrieves a lot of data at once
    - light sensor is buggy sometimes.
    - setting up typing in 2 languages should be more straightforward. I only found the option one week into owning the phone.

My conclusions:

I don't regret the decision, but this phone makes my future transition to android/iPhone easier.

What value does BlackBerry add to this Android phone, besides its lower quality pkb? The few built-in apps developed by them are buggy and lacking features. Build quality is so and so. Security wise, it's only a marginal improvement, far from qnx. PRIV's price is simply unjustified.

Typing on a bigger virtual keyboard is not that bad, so on my next phone I'll go with something else, considering Blackberry devices add almost no value to me and the company as a whole can't be relied upon to fully commit, go through and make a platform work properly.
    Jonneh, phuoc, will308 and 1 others like this.
    01-31-16 11:04 PM
    I agree with all of your points. Couldn't find one thing to disagree with or to further expand on!
    Hard to find such well-rounded, experienced, and logical reviews, since it's much more rare to have used so many different types of technologies and competitors as you have. I have almost used as many as you, but you've still gotten me beat.

Having already experienced Marshmallow on my old Nexus 5, I'm hoping BlackBerry releases a good version of it for us by the end of Feb or early March latest. I really don't want to still be waiting on it after March
    phuoc and techvisor like this.
    01-31-16 11:14 PM
    I can't believe now may people who at one time mocked Android and iPhone are deserting BB10 and jumping to Android. Do they have any backbone? I have used BB for it's hardware and it's software for many years and if I stop it will because they left me, not me leaving them to play games on my phone. I will continue to buy BB devices with BBOS as long as they are available. You will NOT see me running around crying I got an Android phone or an iPhone.
    01-31-16 11:52 PM
    After reading countless opinions about the Priv, I honestly feel that Chen wants to make blackberry a software company ONLY.
    andy957, Doggerz and techvisor like this.
    01-31-16 11:57 PM
    ...Aaaand the perfect example of the complete opposite of what I was talking about landed precisely below my first post. Lovely.
    techvisor likes this.
    02-01-16 12:22 AM
    agree with you the priv is not as good as it should be and the hub is ....well I found it bad ,I have to say I was expecting a blackberry feel to the phone (and its not imo) and as for the os again I was expecting some sort of bbb10 look and feel with android running in the back.....but its just a stock droid with some blackberry apps thrown in as a last thought ,and as for the pkb hmm not good and yes passport and classic pkbs are sooooooooooooooo much better
    02-01-16 01:25 AM
    Thanks to shared your experience using BlackBerry Priv. I think there is no problem/error with this phone. I will buy it also. Once again, Thank You.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-16 07:45 AM
    I love Blackberry and my love transcends quality :P haha some of the PRIV features are crappy like this autocorrect / insert words that I didn't even want to use. Apart from that the PRIV is my favourite apart from the Bold.
    02-01-16 08:15 AM
    I can't believe now may people who at one time mocked Android and iPhone are deserting BB10 and jumping to Android. Do they have any backbone? I have used BB for it's hardware and it's software for many years and if I stop it will because they left me, not me leaving them to play games on my phone. I will continue to buy BB devices with BBOS as long as they are available. You will NOT see me running around crying I got an Android phone or an iPhone.
    Blackberry OS 10 is at a dead end. For better or worse BlackBerry Android is the future. I am actually surprised at the quality of BlackBerry Android and the monthly updates.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    02-02-16 03:55 PM
    Thanks for the review. I learned something from it. They apparently carried the crazy contacts app duplicating etc over from BB10. The one thing they should have done over.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2813 / T-Mobile
    techvisor likes this.
    02-02-16 04:15 PM
    After going through all these posts, I am holding myself for going to Priv at the moment. It's price announced in India is approx 950$ and after official launch in last week, still no news of availability. All those have experienced service of bb in recent yrs, I am sure, they won't go for BlackBerry again.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 06:36 PM
    Blackberry OS 10 is at a dead end. For better or worse BlackBerry Android is the future. I am actually surprised at the quality of BlackBerry Android and the monthly updates.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    If you say so, you must be the expert, I'm just a old guy who refuses to roll over and play dead and continue to support the BB10 OS I purchased.
    02-02-16 10:46 PM
    Love my entire collection of BlackBerry devices. They're all the best.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-02-16 11:18 PM
    @Jonneh : Thanks! I'm trying to view each platform as objectively as possible, then choose the phone that fits my needs. I do this with all my tech stuff and I don't believe in brand loyalty because it has a blinding effect.

My dad and gf have been using BB phones for a long time and even though they had weird problems from time to time (and each had the phone replaced at least once under warranty), it seemed such a "grown-up" phone. When the Classic launched, it looked like the perfect tradeoff between, size, app availability (due to Android runtime) and pkb. So I sold my Nexus 5, even though I was happy with it, and jumped on the BB ship.

Thing is, I lost productivity on BB, mostly due to Contacts and Calendar (which are paramount for work) and the Android apps were slower than I expected. I like the philosophy of BB, the pkb, the idea of better security, but the productivity tradeoff, and various bugs I wrote about in other topics of this forum, are too much for me.

After reading countless opinions about the Priv, I honestly feel that Chen wants to make blackberry a software company ONLY.
    They should have stuck with BB10, iron out all the bugs, develop essential apps in-house or die trying, because ATM they don't have much to brag about: an immature BB10 and half-baked Android apps. If they're going as a software company, they're doing it wrong.

There's a lot of loyalty with the BB brand and I see here many people who want to support the company. Problem is, the feeling doesn't seem to be mutual. IMO, BB stopped supporting its customers since BB10 launched, so there's no reason for "us" to support them.
    Jonneh likes this.
    02-03-16 08:35 AM
    - squeaky backside from lack of wireless charger. Solved that one by inserting a card, but i broke the middle side-button in the process (OK trade-off imo, as the button annoyed me).
    What do you mean? I've heard of the squeaky back due to lack of wireless, etc.
    Where/how did you insert a card to stop that?

I think it, Penny(the Passport) spits it out.
    02-03-16 08:49 AM
    What do you mean? I've heard of the squeaky back due to lack of wireless, etc.
    Where/how did you insert a card to stop that?

I think it, Penny(the Passport) spits it out.
    There's a guide somewhere here. You open up the back cover and insert an old credit card or something. This is the I partially followed. I didn't fully remove the cover as shown after min 2:02, I inserted the card with the case partially open. When I pushed it back, the cover pressed on the button's rubber foot and it came off.
    02-03-16 09:08 AM
    I think the reality is that future Blackberry devices will be Android based. I was a big fan of BB10 when I had my Q10, so I'm not bashing it or anything, but let's just face the facts: there isn't enough demand for it, or they'd continue with it. Blackberry has to make money. If their own OS isn't good enough, they will go to a very mainstream, popular OS like Android. it's just the way it is. For me, I didn't find BB10's limitations too bothersome because I'm not a big app person but I will readily say I am in the minority. Unfortunately, consumers want what they want, and BB10 just wasn't giving it to enough people for it to be sustainable. It's just how it goes.

Having said that, I like my new Priv. Perfect blend of some Blackberry touches with an Android OS. No compromises like one had to make with BB10.
    phuoc and fanisk like this.
    02-03-16 09:32 AM