I know I am dreaming..... but why not dream big where BlackBerry 10 is pushed to one of my 6 BlackBerry Playbooks....
    06-17-15 10:27 PM
    In the case of the PlayBook you wouldn't be able to speak about backwards compatibility because

Xbox 360 < Xbox One
    PlayBook OS 2 < BlackBerry 10

Posted via CB10
    irweezyy and Essoo like this.
    06-17-15 10:43 PM
    ok I am confused...
    Xbox 360 < Xbox One
    PlayBook OS 2 < BlackBerry 10
    both are < "less than". If one can do it why not the other?
    06-17-15 11:06 PM
    Your logic is flawed.

BlackBerry 10 is greater than PlayBook OS. So why would it make sense for the hardware with the lesser OS to be able to run BB10?

They tried to make BB10 run on PlayBook. They could have done it but they didn't want to invest anymore money into the PlayBook because there was no benefit to BlackBerry. Of course there would have been a huge benefit to the BlackBerry fan and consumer, but when has BlackBerry ever cared about something like that?

So they just said BB10 won't run without 2GB of ram. Which is a lie. Some Q10 models run on 1GB and the Z3 is 1.5GB.

Posted via CB10
    Dante980 likes this.
    06-17-15 11:35 PM
    It's simply a matter of priorities. Microsoft is trying to get people to upgrade to Xbox One even though there a ton of titles that are currently not compatible. For example, I can't get rid of my Xbox 360 because my girls like Let's Dance even though I'm ready to upgrade so I'm going to be stuck with two consoles.

The Playbook has been discontinued so BlackBerry has little to gain by doing any development for it.
    06-17-15 11:48 PM
    Wait, people own Xbones?

I thought Microsoft got tired of having customers and pushed draconian drm down their throat?

I don't care that they took it back. The intent was there.

Also, current gen platforms have no titles. Wake me up when Kingdom Hearts 3 is out. (and even then it will have to be pretty spectacular to drag me out of bed, I've kinda given up on the whole thing.)

Also, the Xbox one is basically a windows PC. You can emulate the 360 in various ways, especially if you're the developer and have access to the source code.

But the OS on the playbook and on BBOS devices is vaasssstly different. You could in theory emulate that as well... but not well.

Work Wide and Prosper
    06-17-15 11:54 PM
    Great point about my flawed logic! but in my opinion the PB OS runs better then the BB10 Z30 I have. I don't care about apps. of course browser can be slow. but this is an awesome device. that is why I have 6 of them. Drenegade can you start another revolution to get BlackBerry 10 to the Playbook?
    06-17-15 11:55 PM
    It's impossible. Only BB can do that and they have stopped support. BB10 and Playbook OS are both secured, no one but BB themselves can thinker with it.
    Dante980 likes this.
    06-18-15 08:01 AM
    Great point about my flawed logic! but in my opinion the PB OS runs better then the BB10 Z30 I have. I don't care about apps. of course browser can be slow. but this is an awesome device. that is why I have 6 of them. Drenegade can you start another revolution to get BlackBerry 10 to the Playbook?
    Not it doesn't run better than a Z30. Physically impossible.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    06-18-15 08:09 AM
    I doubt that they would care, especially now with their whole transition to 'enterprise' and the 'prosumer' and trying out Android ground

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 11:44 AM
    I doubt that they would care, especially now with their whole transition to 'enterprise' and the 'prosumer' and trying out Android ground

Posted via CB10
    Well, Android then. They should just unlock the bootloader so we can install our own OS and to get this small (albeit evident) monkey off their back. Both parties win.
    06-18-15 02:53 PM
    Well, Android then. They should just unlock the bootloader so we can install our own OS and to get this small (albeit evident) monkey off their back. Both parties win.
    Awesome idea!!!
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    06-19-15 10:42 PM
    Not it doesn't run better than a Z30. Physically impossible.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    To me it does. its smoother cleaner and just fun to use. granted the browsers is slow, when you say physically impossible how so.. between beta and leaks on my z10 and z30 the playbook just runs and performs.... Just because a processor is faster doesn't mean anything.
    06-19-15 10:49 PM
    To me it does. its smoother cleaner and just fun to use. granted the browsers is slow, when you say physically impossible how so.. between beta and leaks on my z10 and z30 the playbook just runs and performs.... Just because a processor is faster doesn't mean anything.
    Identical OS on worse hardware means worse experience. Plain and simple.

And besides, unlike the PlayBook, people not only bought Xbox 360s, but even made software for them, too. Neither of which particularly apply to the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 11:10 PM
    Identical OS on worse hardware means worse experience. Plain and simple.

And besides, unlike the PlayBook, people not only bought Xbox 360s, but even made software for them, too. Neither of which particularly apply to the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't my LTE playbook have better hardware some of the BB10 devices. as for the software I don't need anything more. I don't run many app or games.
    06-20-15 10:11 PM
    Doesn't my LTE playbook have better hardware some of the BB10 devices. as for the software I don't need anything more. I don't run many app or games.
    No. Your LTE PlayBook is a Z10 STL100-1 with half the RAM and a worse GPU.
    EchoesFX likes this.
    06-20-15 10:16 PM
    They should just allow people to send their playbooks in for all new internals and charge like 150 dollars for it. Then people can stop complaining.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 10:22 PM
    They should just allow people to send their playbooks in for all new internals and charge like 150 dollars for it. Then people can stop complaining.

Posted via CB10
    Would cost more than that.

Think like 600-ish. Depending on the components.

I'm also assuming that they would need people to take the playbooks, open them, install the new hardware and ship them back out.

It would be massively expensive.

Plus, how many components would they need to buy?

Nah, it would be ridiculous.

Work Wide and Prosper
    EchoesFX likes this.
    06-20-15 10:46 PM
    No. Your LTE PlayBook is a Z10 STL100-1 with half the RAM and a worse GPU.
    And we all know what the STL100-1 is.. crap!

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 02:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    a bb10 tablet? Shut up and take my my money.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    06-21-15 04:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    So, for these new internals, assuming we keep the screen... BlackBerry must design a new board that works with the old battery, digitizer, buttons and screen, fits in the same spot and doesn't overheat. Not TOO bad there. Technically I guess they could just slap 2GB of RAM on a PlayBook LTE board.

Then they need to make up for the fact that BB10 has gone further and further away from the old 10.0.9.388 version that ran on PlayBook, strip out a bunch of non-vital junk like the phone software, get a landscape UI working (which they really should do anyway), format assets for a 1024x600 screen so it looks right, add PlayBook support back into Cascades, get the word out to customers, and have a team of laborers ready to upgrade these units and refresh them with new batteries/other parts as necessary.

And you want to only pay $150 for this? Yeah, no. I can't even assign a number to just how much of BlackBerry's money that would waste.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 11:18 AM

So they just said BB10 won't run without 2GB of ram. Which is a lie. Some Q10 models run on 1GB and the Z3 is 1.5GB.
    More than likely, it was a case that they would have had to do a major league re-factoring of BlackBerry 10 to get it to work well on 1 GB and it wasn't worth the opportunity cost in their eyes, particularly with such reduced staff, the number of PlayBooks remaining in use and no successor tablet product to benefit from the work.

Still wondering why Dan Dodge wasn't slapped on the back of the head for that little "ooops - we forgot to consider 1 GB devices when designing BlackBerry 10". This wasn't just an ire for PlayBook users. They added tremendously to BlackBerry's cost of goods sold. They would have saved tens of millions of dollars if all the initial devices shipped with 1 GB instead of 2 GB.
    06-29-15 05:56 AM
    More than likely, it was a case that they would have had to do a major league re-factoring of BlackBerry 10 to get it to work well on 1 GB and it wasn't worth the opportunity cost in their eyes, particularly with such reduced staff, the number of PlayBooks remaining in use and no successor tablet product to benefit from the work.

Still wondering why Dan Dodge wasn't slapped on the back of the head for that little "ooops - we forgot to consider 1 GB devices when designing BlackBerry 10". This wasn't just an ire for PlayBook users. They added tremendously to BlackBerry's cost of goods sold. They would have saved tens of millions of dollars if all the initial devices shipped with 1 GB instead of 2 GB.
    Tens of millions? RAM is cheap, savings yes, but probably not those sort of savings.
    07-02-15 01:09 AM
    Tens of millions? RAM is cheap, savings yes, but probably not those sort of savings.
    Perhaps. But If this estimate is to be believed, BlackBerry was spending $8 a unit on RAM, instead of, $3 or $4.

Now assume that BlackBerry has sold parts for 10 million devices that ultimately shipped with 2 GB of RAM. (Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Leap, Classic). I'm probably low-balling a little. We all know BlackBerry sales haven't been great, but they've shipped over 10 million BlackBerry 10 devices by now. Z3 has less, Passport has more RAM so I'll just say 10 million

$8 x 10,000,000 = $80,000,000
    $4 x 10,000,000 = $40,000,000

Yeah - I know there are other factors like component pricing dropping over time; unit costs dropping based on volume etc but I'm sure you get where I'm coming from.

To me, that's an expensive "oops" that architect Dan Dodge made. Not only did he forget about the 2.5 million QNX devices already out there (PlayBook) and cause Thorsten to break a very public promise; but he added a nice chunk of coin to BlackBerry's BOM costs for the BlackBerry 10 devices.
    07-02-15 05:29 AM
    How exactly is the XBOX One backwards compatible?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    07-02-15 06:00 AM
30 12