I would pay $20 (USD) or $25 (CND) but no more.
    As a shareholder I hate to say this but there is always another way
    09-26-12 02:35 PM
    Although I would, MANY Would not...
    09-26-12 02:44 PM
    lol....fck no

So you are seriously asking if we would 'pay' for an upgraded operating system when they still have bugs in the orginal o/s......You would think they would deliver a stable product First!

wow all this waiting for an o/s upgrade has turned your brain to mush... next thing we'll be asking if we can all chip in a couple of dollars to help RIM finish it.

How much would you pay RIM for a 'Tablet'....

oh sorry...you've already done that.....
    There are many people, myself included, who would pay.

This is a legitimate question that the op asked, there is no need to disrespect him for asking.
    09-26-12 02:47 PM
    There is absolutely no way that RIM will be charging for the upgrade to BB10.

They've spent the last year courting developers and promising them a growing market for their apps. They've now seeded hundred of thousands (if not more) cut price Playbooks into the market and all these owners are hungry for more apps. Cut these folks and the developers by charging? No way.

They've announced they will be managing their own music and video stores under BB10 from which they will get extra revenue. They want all Playbook owners as customers.

BB10 looks fabulous for phones, Playbooks and the combo of both. Many Playbook owners do not currently have BB phones. There will be a real incentive to upgrade to a BB phone because of the great success to date of bridging and the future increased value of bridging when Blackberry Balance enables you to have your personal stuff and work stuff on one device as well as to display it on the large screen Playbook without security problems.

So RIM wants to keep as as customers for the apps, and for the increased sales of phones, videos and music.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-26-12 03:14 PM
    No. Why? Credibility!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    09-26-12 03:14 PM
    Too many variables all dependent on what BB10 delivers. And RIM would never do it, lest they want to put the trigger at the chest and squeeze
    09-26-12 03:27 PM
    They've been implying that the update will be free for at least a year, and they haven't bothered to correct anyone despite many people believing that the update will be free. Because of that it would be extremely bad for their reputation to charge for the update. If they'd been saying from the beginning that it would be paid, then I probably still wouldn't buy it based on the fact that by the my PlayBook will be nearly 2 years old, and by that point it will be nearing the end of its life, running on outdated hardware, and all in all probably won't last too long. Beyond that, it would depend on the price and whether it would be worth that price when I'd have a BB10 phone anyway.
    09-26-12 03:39 PM
    Remember when we got the"FREE" update to os2?
    madman0141 likes this.
    09-26-12 04:12 PM
    No, I wouldn't pay. Why? I spent $499 on a 16GB PlayBook which were marked down over and over again and now sell for $149
    09-26-12 04:15 PM
    A very long time ago, we had a similar thread over whether the OS2 update would be free.

Someone here with a legal mind, and presumably when they were very, very bored, went through all the small print and T&Cs that RIM publish, but nobody ever normally reads.

Their conclusion was that RIM cannot legally charge for any OS update. If they release any OS update, it has to be free, and it has to be made available to all.

The flip-side of that is that nobody can force RIM to release an OS update. It is entirely RIM's choice when and if they do so... and if that turns out to be "never"... so be it.

So, if that conclusion was correct, I suspect the same legalities apply to BB10 coming to the PB - it's an OS update like all the others. If it happens, it's free... but it doesn't have to happen. The decision to release it remains with RIM.

I guess we'll see how it plays out in the months ahead.
    09-26-12 04:28 PM
    When you see how easily people take random posts from this forum for absolute truth, I would not be surprise to see a bunch of new threads calling for a revolt against RIM because they WILL charge for an update ...

So much time/energy wasted ...
    09-26-12 04:52 PM
    When you see how easily people take random posts from this forum for absolute truth, I would not be surprise to see a bunch of new threads calling for a revolt against RIM because they WILL charge for an update ...

Indeed.

You should have seen the rants in here when it was suggested that OS2 would be charged for.

FWIW, every other update has been free.
    09-26-12 05:06 PM

Yeah, there's no end to the baseless speculation around this place. The things people sit around thinking about is mind-boggling.
    09-26-12 05:19 PM
    Don't know if I'd pay. I have 5 PlayBooks, so it would add up.

BB10 on the PB would be a marketing tool for RIM. They already have 2 or 3 million devices out there that can run the OS and spread the word for them.

Many people bought the Playbook because it was so cheap but wouldn't think of buying a BB10 device. If RIM pushes BB10 into their hands and they are impressed, it could lead to sales.
    I'm sure there would be some sort of package license deal that allows you to use the software on more than one playbook like most software companies do.

But to answer the posted question it would really depend on the price. I've sunk a lot of $ on my PB to the point its now a 700$ plus device.
    09-26-12 05:22 PM
    Yeah, there's no end to the baseless speculation around this place. The things people sit around thinking about is mind-boggling.
    Front page on a low-end tech blog, to a well-known (bad reputation) tech site, to forbes, to Crackberry front page, to the forums.

RIM are making us pay????? That's it, RIM will not survive for BB10 to drop. Which will be delayed again and again!!!
    Last edited by Chaplain_Clancy; 09-26-12 at 08:53 PM.
    09-26-12 07:09 PM
    Indeed.

You should have seen the rants in here when it was suggested that OS2 would be charged for.

FWIW, every other update has been free.
    Oh great! Sh!tstorm incoming...I was just curious anyhow and since we're killing time until some form of official update comes to the PB that a hypothetical discussion would be interesting. I didn't really take into consideration those PB owners who paid full price for the tablets. In that case I'd be super PO'ed if RIM charged extra.

I like the fact that 99% of you were civilized thus far except for the one person who obviously had a bad day and felt the need to be a rude. After I read through all the posts up until this point, I see that I am being overly generous with what I'd be willing to pay. I'll revise that down to $10-15 max. Though I would still be disappointed in RIM if that occurred...

Oh and someone mentioned TouchPad, well guess what? They got the camera to take pictures finally in CM9! It crashes a lot still and is full of bugs, but it works! Very cool.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 09-26-12 at 08:05 PM. Reason: (Added TouchPad reference)
    09-26-12 08:01 PM
    After struggling along for over a year with a half-baked tablet still missing all sorts of basic functionality, would I pay (again) for a new OS that isn't guaranteed to be any better?

No.

In fact, that would be the end of my relationship with Blackberry, tablet and handsets all.

Of course, even with the free upgrade there is no guarantee I'll ever drop another cent on RIM hardware the way things have been going so who knows what's best for the company in terms of monetizing these devices

The reality is BB10 is so far down the pipeline it barely registers. Where the heck is 2.1?
    09-26-12 08:55 PM
    Let's not give RIM any ideas.

(I'd pay $19.99)
    09-26-12 08:56 PM
    OP you have to remember that your asking your question to the most loyal BB fans.

If they don't like it, then the other 99% of pb owners will take a walk.

I don't think that RIM would do that. Not when iOS and Android upgrades are free.
    09-26-12 10:01 PM
    That'd be the last strike for me. If no other platforms charge for a upgrade, then a company struggling to keep their user base shouldn't either. I would switch platforms.

But I'm not worried about RIM doing this
    09-26-12 11:04 PM
    i would have no problem with buying the update for 5eurs, if it would be more i dont know.

but if you buy an update this shouldnt be a one release thing with no other updates after that, i can understand that no BBOS11 or something like this will be released for an old device but i dont want pay for something like OS 2.0 that has a lots of problems and lacks any further updates even if its just bugfixes.
    09-27-12 02:40 AM
    Oh great! Sh!tstorm incoming...I was just curious anyhow and since we're killing time until some form of official update comes to the PB that a hypothetical discussion would be interesting. I didn't really take into consideration those PB owners who paid full price for the tablets. In that case I'd be super PO'ed if RIM charged extra.

I like the fact that 99% of you were civilized thus far except for the one person who obviously had a bad day and felt the need to be a rude. After I read through all the posts up until this point, I see that I am being overly generous with what I'd be willing to pay. I'll revise that down to $10-15 max. Though I would still be disappointed in RIM if that occurred...
    Heh-heh... I think you got off lightly.

As you say, it was a hypothetical question (and stated as such) and comes during this slow time. Everyone kept their temper in check and nobody felt the need to bring Apple into the debate (dang... I've done it now ). Much better than the bad-tempered threads that seem to be the norm these days and I for one enjoyed the read.

To continue your hypothetical: Legalities aside, I can't really see the point in RIM charging for BB10 on PB.

For one, there's the resentment it would undoubtedly cause when OS updates on every other platform (including RIM platforms) are free and it's become a consumer "expectation" of every platform (maybe everyone has the same small print in their T&Cs?). Tho' the most compelling reason for not charging must surely be that it wouldn't make enough money to outweigh the negative impact.

There are maybe 2M PBs out there? At $10 per update, and assuming 100% take-up (tho' I doubt 100% would pay for an update), RIM would get $20M (I was always a whizz at Maths ).

Whilst I'd love to see that kind of cash in my hand, for any mega-corp it must surely count as loose change that probably wouldn't even pay for the tyres and complementary nuts on Thorsten's executive jet.

So charging wouldn't be worth it.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 09-27-12 at 06:12 AM.
    i-love likes this.
    09-27-12 03:18 AM
    No way.
    No how.
    Fools and their money are soon parted.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    09-27-12 06:42 AM
    At this point, I'd be willing to pay for 2.1 just to finally get the damn thing.
    AT_Nepal likes this.
    09-27-12 09:21 AM
    What RIM should really do is give BB10 to us early adopters who paid $400.00 for the Playbook for free. All those lucky bastards that got the same tablet for $100.00 can pay for the upgrade. I know, I'm dreaming...
    09-27-12 09:32 AM
161 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD