Thats not quite right re. Microsoft. They charge for a new OS not upgrades.
    Good point!

Now, is BB10 an upgrade or new OS?...
    01-24-13 04:09 AM
    I wish people wouldn't ask questions like this. This sort of stuff is BEGGING RIM to extort more money out of us. What if 100,000 people got on here and said, "Yeah! I'll pay $40 to upgrade!!"? Just don't tempt them.

We've supported them enough. Frankly, I was talking to my wife the other night and we both agreed, it would be NICE if RIM gave us playbook owners a discount on new BB10 Phones. I don't think we are owed it; it would just be nice. We ARE some of the more die-hard fans, supporters, and customers who bought the playbook while everyone else was ridiculing RIM. A $50 loyalty discount, for example, would be nice.

We've been waiting long enough for an update. We don't need to PAY for it now. Charging for the update would be a lousy way for RIM to treat customers. I'd rather not pay for an update to my playbook; they'll get my money when I buy their new phones. I've converted my wife; she want's one of the BB10 phones when they come out. I plan to get one too.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-25-13 10:53 AM
    Good point!

Now, is BB10 an upgrade or new OS?...
    Upgrade from OS 7.1
    Major update from PB 2.1
    01-25-13 10:56 AM
    I wish people wouldn't ask questions like this. This sort of stuff is BEGGING RIM to extort more money out of us. What if 100,000 people got on here and said, "Yeah! I'll pay $40 to upgrade!!"? Just don't tempt them.

We've supported them enough. Frankly, I was talking to my wife the other night and we both agreed, it would be NICE if RIM gave us playbook owners a discount on new BB10 Phones. I don't think we are owed it; it would just be nice. We ARE some of the more die-hard fans, supporters, and customers who bought the playbook while everyone else was ridiculing RIM. A $50 loyalty discount, for example, would be nice.

We've been waiting long enough for an update. We don't need to PAY for it now. Charging for the update would be a lousy way for RIM to treat customers. I'd rather not pay for an update to my playbook; they'll get my money when I buy their new phones. I've converted my wife; she want's one of the BB10 phones when they come out. I plan to get one too.
    Well typed.
    Wiltunscir likes this.
    01-25-13 11:06 AM
    We just only having a discussion here, or sharing of point-of-views... but I believe, RIM has already planned on it - regardless we discuss it here or not... it just only a matter of time and we will know what is that plan is...

Both scenarios i.e. RIM charge for fee or not to roll B10 in PB, are not good (in our perspective - not on them)... but between these two "not so good" scenarios, still "charging fee" for new OS or drastically improved OS, is less evil... we are not feeding (I believe) to RIM's strategic planning... we are somehow anticipating possible scenarios and how we feel on each...

Speaking of "it would be NICE if RIM", it is already a nice gesture from RIM if they will roll-out BB10 to current PlayBook without charging fee...
    01-26-13 01:37 AM
    but to be fair people who have bought playbook from the getgo haven't had an easy ride with a product that had quite a few basics missing from it.and these people have helped increase playbook sales to others they know I'm sure.the final product was flawed no matter what we like about it,and I do believe the playbook was a test bed for bb10 in whatever way you may see it.allthough rim have made losses on playbook they have still managed to sell a lot more than any tech media people would have imagined and rim are not skint .they are in a strong position and to optimize that it would help by pushing bb10 to the now large community of playbook owners.plus the profit returns for developing bb10 surely will be in the sales of the phones.it wouldn't cost anything for a free update plus rejuvinated support for blackberry phones and tablet will be an increase in app sales.
    01-26-13 05:54 AM
    no. it should be free and it will be free. rim will not charge for bb10 update. it would create bad press and bad press is what rim will want to avoid at any cost. just imaging bgr headline....
    01-27-13 03:20 PM
    WOW tough question and some very good responses, at this point I'm not sure. I would like to update, but what would be included....theres always BUGS, do I want to pay for that, I pay for apps with BUGS. I guess a lot would have to depend on a lot of different "things". WOW...GREAT QUESTION. I just don't know....hummmm
    01-27-13 03:36 PM
    If Blackberry is going to charge, I'd like to d/l a trial version first. They spent
    dev money including the apps so I wouldn't mind paying. Heck, Microsoft
    made billions through regular upgrades of both OS and programs alike. So
    if I like BB10, no problemo paying for it.

But here's another point, no one but the new phones will get the BB10 so
    that leaves everyone out of the picture. Now if BB really wants the fans
    to be their ambassadors of the new products, they should have put out a beta
    copy of the OS that everyone can d/l and try. Right now I can't even participate
    in any forum to extoll the virtues of BB10, such a shame!
    02-02-13 02:17 PM
    Yes I would pay. $25 TOPS.
    02-03-13 12:44 PM
    Ok, well since I'm the OP who posted this question in the first place, I have a new idea...they should PAY US to put their OS on our PlayBooks...or at least give us 50% discounts on a trade in on a Z10 after seeing how this whole BB10 launch thing is unfolding. I mean, the more I see all the incredible things this device can do and the more that I reflect on how they have yet to officially talk about them in a formal setting (READ: GLOBAL LAUNCH PARTY), the more I am starting to wonder just what's exactly going on in their heads...
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 02-03-13 at 03:21 PM.
    02-03-13 03:06 PM
161 ... 567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD