i will but not over 10 bucks.
    Should RIM choose to release BB10 for the PB, and assuming BB10 will run effectively in the PB's 1GB RAM (the BB10 phones have 2GB RAM), nobody should have to pay for the OS upgrade.

See post #35 (page 2) of this thread.
    12-28-12 04:56 AM
    Should RIM choose to release BB10 for the PB, and assuming BB10 will run effectively in the PB's 1GB RAM (the BB10 phones have 2GB RAM), nobody should have to pay for the OS upgrade.

See post #35 (page 2) of this thread.
    Well I don't know much about QNX or BB10 from an OS perspective, but the comments about RAM and BB10 handsets having 2G of RAM does concern me a bit, in terms of natural progression to BB10 on the PlayBook.

I know from experience that my aging Android tablets that only have 512M RAM, are completely fine on original / stock 2.2 Android ROM, but try and put on ICS or JB, and the modest RAM makes it a lot less usable / performant.

If / when BB10 does come to the PlayBook, I think I'll be much more circumspect in terms of updating and see what consensus is, before automatically jumping, as I have with previous PlayBook updates.
    12-28-12 05:21 AM
    I am amazed that people are super hyped and willing to pay for a new set of bugs, issues and missing bits.

One born every minute.
    Michel Souris likes this.
    12-28-12 08:39 AM
    Have to say that we have iPad, Samsung Tab2 in addition to my PB at home. The PB's hardware is so nicely thought-out that it really highlights the half-baked OS's holes, instabilities and lack of optimisation - no need to repeat here the long list of "facepalms" they regularly generate for me and many others...

But I persevere with it because I'm hopeful BB10 will be a transformative upgrade. If it isn't, or we the faithful are kept waiting more than maybe 2 quarters to get it on PB I may have to do the unthinkable and buy a DROID...yikes. Shudder etc

I'd pay a nominal fee because the 10 appears to be so much more, but all of this is of course predicated on 10 launching well and generating cash for RIM to finish the job on the volume handset products, and later acknowledge the patience its PB user base have shown

So,
    12-28-12 09:37 AM
    Nope. Too many bugs already. Poor power/charging for PB that most likely cannot be changed without hardware change and new designers.
    12-29-12 05:39 PM
    I expect the update to be free.
    I would be disappointed with and embarrassed for RIM if they charged for the update.
    Having said that, I would probably pay a reasonable fee for the update.
    I really like my PB and I really LOVE new stuff.
    I have wasted thousands of dollars getting the latest greatest in my lifetime.
    12-29-12 07:50 PM
    For ppl that paid full price for the playbook when it came out(ME!!!) it should be free, for anyone that has got one for such a steal of a deal now a days make them pay :P JK!!
    12-29-12 08:42 PM
    I would pay $20 if it worked well on the PlayBook. And yes I paid full price for a 64 PlayBook.
    12-29-12 09:23 PM
    I love updates. I think they are still trying to perfect the tablet and the upgrade should be free. Once things are up and running properly and if a new version of the Playbook is release, then probably so.
    12-29-12 10:29 PM
    No question ask, I will pay!!
    12-29-12 10:34 PM
    nobody should have to pay for the OS upgrade.
    Tell that to microsoft and apple who make you pay for OS upgrades every two years.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    chaosdivine likes this.
    12-29-12 10:53 PM
    I guess some people couldn't afford it.
    I am amazed that people are super hyped and willing to pay for a new set of bugs, issues and missing bits.

One born every minute.
    12-29-12 11:02 PM
    I don't think RIM will charge for an OS update... nobody else does.... if they do, they are making a big mistake.
    12-29-12 11:11 PM
    Like any tech, when it first comes out you pay a premium. Wait 6 months and it becomes cheaper.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    12-30-12 01:40 AM
    I won't even update my BlackBerry PlayBook to BlackBerry OS 10 until the applications that I have come to reply upon are available. I have a small cadre of high-quality applications running on my BlackBerry PlayBooks and will not downgrade my experience for a new tablet UI unless those applications are available in BlackBerry AppWorld. I will pay a upgrade fee for those applications if necessary....
    This!!!
    12-30-12 09:23 AM
    Tell that to microsoft and apple who make you pay for OS upgrades every two years.
    Thats not quite right re. Microsoft. They charge for a new OS not upgrades.
    12-31-12 02:03 PM
    Just to get it? Maybe... Most likely. To get it earlier (beta testing or something)? Yes.
    12-31-12 03:39 PM
    Why would i need to pay? I don't see iOS 5.0 users paying anything to upgrade to iOS 6.0 We don't even know how this *new* OS is going to perform against android and apple.

For a Windows OS upgrade, i would pay. Why? Well, because it is a whole OS and it is far more advanced than any other OS's on the market now.
    01-06-13 11:20 AM
    nope it is owed to me for waiting and i need a fix for DM which has not worked since the 2.1 update tried all forum reboots Nuthin

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 until my kick a$$ BB10 is released ! I'm stickin with RIM til one of us dies.
    01-13-13 09:27 AM
    I agree with kretch. We pay enough already. And the check is in the mail it's the beta version is the funniest thing I heard today.
    01-17-13 08:55 AM
    Well I would not be happy but would pay a nominal fee. That said, it would depend on the current state of my PlayBook's health. By then it will be 2 years old give or take.

However, for the people that have paid full price for it it would be a slap in the face to pay MORE to upgrade it. I just don't see it happening.
    magutwit likes this.
    01-17-13 10:48 AM
    Are you kidding? Would RIM pay me the 600$ difference of the actual price and the price I put in it after the launch?

P.S. And it's nothing like Apple who sell their outdated models for fewer prices, Rim sells the PBs for nothing now only because it was a fiasco.
    01-17-13 10:58 AM
    This thread is still going on BB10 will be FREE when released for the playbook, end of story...
    I know it makes me laugh. Especially when people get so wound up. It was a hypothetical question in the first place. Very excited to see it come to be finally though - some day.
    01-19-13 02:53 PM
    This was a hypothetical question. At least that's how I was taking it.
    01-19-13 03:13 PM
    I was a loooongtime BB user, that finally jumped ship after my contract ran out with my 9650. I loved my BBs, but the fact that the functionality was lacking compared to other platforms was what finally ran me off. (Forgetting about the constant lagging/freezing/battery pulls.) I bought a PB when they hit $149, based on the promise of BB10 being implemented on the device.

I'm sure I'm not alone in that scenario...I'm sure that there are others who were die-hard BB fans that left for one reason or another, and were drawn back in based on the PB's eventual price point and promised BB10 compatibility. And now, with my contract nearing it's end again, the PB running BB10 would be my testing board for possibly getting a BB10 phone. If the features and functionality on the PB is a step up from OS6, I will surely get a BB10 phone.

Like others have stated, BB10 on the PB is worth more in marketing by word of mouth by being free than they could ever hope to make up by charging an upgrade fee. I know this is the claim, and it's definitely the right way to go.
    01-21-13 10:40 AM
161 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD