Given the low price I paid for it, I'd pay a small fee for upgrade - AND IF IT HELPS for a perfect update version, excellent support afterwards and ongoing fast bugfix-versions to eliminate bugs appearing at real life use.

Ray
    09-27-12 10:12 AM
    There are many people, myself included, who would pay.

This is a legitimate question that the op asked, there is no need to disrespect him for asking.

I am not disrespecting him.
    I am just trying to get him to step away ....and not drink the Kool aid,

As much as I may like the playbook I am not under any false assumptions that things (RIM) will change ....missed deadlines, updates...etc.

As for RIM: Don't listen to what they say....Watch what they do!
    09-27-12 10:59 AM
    now way would i pay for an update. I purchased the playbook the day it came out and then watched the price drop every month after. If they charged for an upgrade to bb10 that would be the final straw and the one that forced me to leave and to SLAM bb every chance I got.(like the rest of the world already does)

I hope this is just a stupid idea adn rim doesnt do something this stupid.
    09-27-12 04:40 PM
    It's no secret that RIM has had it a bit tough financially this last year but seem to be on the verge of turning a new chapter in their history thanks to BB10. We saw yesterday that RIM seems to still be on track for a Q1 2013 BB10 release with their new phones. We also know that they have been holding a firesale on their PlayBook tablets and the user base has grown rapidly as a result of the insanely cheap prices (myself included).

Now, we have heard before that they said BB10 will come to the PlayBook sometime in 2013 and we are making an assumption that they'll indeed keep their promise. Lets say that they do deliver the OS to the PB's but only in the form of a paid OS upgrade instead of a free upgrade.

My questions to you are: Suppose it did come to the PB, but only as a paid OS upgrade, how much would you be willing to pay for it to bring your PlayBook OS from 2.x up to BB10? Also, would you be upset that the OS would not be free?

I myself would be disappointed the OS upgrade would not be free, but I would also understand the considerable investment RIM has made in the new OS and that they've had a pretty lean last couple of years as a result. I would still want it on my PlayBook and be willing to pay ~$40-50 for the right to the new OS on my tablet. It would give RIM cash in their coffers and me a new lease on the life of the tablet with all the goodies BB10 brings.
    So you would be willing to pay RIM more for an upgrade than Apple charges for MacOS upgrades and Microsoft's price structure for Windows 8? I am really at a loss as to why anyone here feels they have an obligation to prop up RIM. You bought their products - beyond that it is up to them. No mobile OS upgrade is worth a penny of anyone's money, regardless of whether it is from Apple, Microsoft, Google, or RIM. BTW, if you do the math, $40-50 amounts to pocket change in the industry, even if every Playbook owner was willing to pay.

No offense but this attitude of treating RIM like it is a family member who needs your support will actually push them towards bankruptcy, not away from it. Like it or not, people expect mobile devices in general to be relatively low cost and that cell phones and cellular enabled tablets to have costs subsidized on contract by the phone companies. SOP is then for mobile OS upgrades, if offered, to be free. Why would anyone think that RIM charging for something the other players provide for free would attract customers away from those companies? It reinforces all of the wrong ideas about RIM. To put it another way, Android did not get its market share by being an amazing OS. Even in its current iteration is a poorly coded and badly optimized mess that hardware manufacturers skin to make more useable. The reason it took off is because it is free. This allows companies to produce devices with a production cost advantage. The consumer markets will not buy into the concept of paying for upgrades (to say the least) and if someone was to do it with one device they would be pasted with that reputation for all of their devices. Long and short of it is the whole idea is actually counterproductive....
    09-28-12 02:48 AM
    I'm a big RIM supporter but I would not pay for an upgrade.

I don't expect to see the BB10 update until Q2 or even Q3. Maybe it will come out when they finally launch a 10" tablet.
    09-28-12 07:22 AM
    I would smash my PlayBook hard against a rock if they did that.
    chaosdivine likes this.
    09-28-12 09:29 AM
    I would not pay. I suspect BB10 WILL be available for playbook. I also suspect that is why there is no 2.1 upgrade. They are keeping the features that would be available in 2.1 for the BB10 release. Here's my dream...BB10 runs on my 9900.
    09-28-12 09:35 AM
    Something like this would be nice but change the OS to bb10.
    09-28-12 09:41 AM
    Why don't one of you twitter people tweet someone, Saunders? And ask if it will be free if you can get an answer that doesn't beat around the bush.
    09-28-12 09:45 AM
    Yes. As long as there is no new hardware revisions which it would be shipping out [this goes with any electronic upgrades, not really talking about the PlayBook with that statement] I would pay about 50% - 75% of the current lowest priced hardware that is running the system.

So, if PlayBooks were selling for say $200, I'd be willing to spend between $100 - $150 for a major Operating System software upgrade like that.
    09-28-12 10:10 AM
    No way would RIM charge for BlackBerry10, with that said I'd gladly pay 20-30$ to get a full featured BlackBerry10 on this tablet right now.

I wouldn't pay any higher than that though. I'd feel like they were getting over on me.
    09-28-12 04:02 PM
    I would be very disappointed if they tried to charge us for the upgrade. I appreciate the work involved in writing it, but upgrading your software is a given in the tech world.

I'll get jumped on for this, but I paid full price for my Playbook when it first came out and sometimes get steamed when I see the prices now. I'm very happy with it, and no one twisted my arm to buy it, but for $500 I should get free upgrades. It would be a great gesture to those of us who have waited for BB10.
    09-28-12 04:18 PM
    Why don't one of you twitter people tweet someone, Saunders? And ask if it will be free if you can get an answer that doesn't beat around the bush.
    Have you ever seen or heard a direct answer to a direct question from these guys? It's like trying to round up cats.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-28-12 07:46 PM
    My questions to you are: Suppose it did come to the PB, but only as a paid OS upgrade, how much would you be willing to pay for it to bring your PlayBook OS from 2.x up to BB10? Also, would you be upset that the OS would not be free?
    Answer 1: I would not pay Research In Motion one cent for BlackBerry 10 OS for the BlackBerry PlayBook. As an early adopter they need to prove themselves in my eyes. I like every other BlackBerry PlayBook user, have waited months, now years, for any updates to the current BlackBerry Tablet OS and the lack lustre BlackBerry AppWorld for BlackBerry PlayBook persists. I thank each of the developers for the few high-quality applications in the sea of pathetic "applications."

Answer 2: D-amn straight skippy.
    09-29-12 12:25 AM
    Have you ever seen or heard a direct answer to a direct question from these guys? It's like trying to round up cats.
    Rounding up cats is rather easy if you shake a package of Whiska's Temptations.
    todbanner likes this.
    09-29-12 12:29 AM
    RIM already said we will get 10 upgrade for free so this entire thread is pointless..
    09-29-12 10:23 AM
    RIM already said we will get 10 upgrade for free so this entire thread is pointless..
    I agree about the update but have never heard the word "free"

Link?
    09-29-12 10:24 AM
    They've spent the last year courting developers and promising them a growing market for their apps. They've now seeded hundred of thousands (if not more) cut price Playbooks into the market and all these owners are hungry for more apps.
    Research In Motion has never published sales figures for the BlackBerry PlayBook. We have no idea whether the reduced pricing scheme has reduced inventory to less than 10% of the original purchase orders signed by Research In Motion with the tablet manufacturing facility. These continuously repeated sales drives indicate that inventory is not being depleted sufficiently and there remains a stockpile in the warehouse.
    09-29-12 10:53 AM
    Research In Motion has never published sales figures for the BlackBerry PlayBook. We have no idea whether the reduced pricing scheme has reduced inventory to less than 10% of the original purchase orders signed by Research In Motion with the tablet manufacturing facility. These continuously repeated sales drives indicate that inventory is not being depleted sufficiently and there remains a stockpile in the warehouse.
    It used to be lazy people would pick up books, now they won't google either

Q1 FY2013 RIM
    blackcaneaddict and todbanner like this.
    09-29-12 11:42 AM
    Apple didn't charge a dime when iOS 3, 4, 5 and 6 came out for the iPhone. They make money on the AppStore. I think RIM would do the same. There is no point preventing your 2Mil users to upgrade to the latest OS and CAN'T access AppsWorld.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    09-29-12 10:02 PM
    New to all this RIM stuff.

RIM should provide a free update to BB10 OS to those devices that can run it, PERIOD.

The subject of those early adopters vs those buying recently at "fire sale" pricing has come up... I really feel for the early adopters of the product but I'm of the mindset all should get the update, at no-charge... regardless of purchase date.

How about this: Maybe the question should be....
    Is RIM going to offers discounts to early adopters who migrate to devices running BB10 from the get-go?

11-09-12 11:31 AM
    If its under $20 then I would pay for it. Upgrades to Windows 8 is $14 to $40 these days, so I feel $20 or less is a good price. Anymore then I would not pay for it. I already paid a (reduced but large) $299.99 for the 64GB that I only use for video, $20+ would just make me mad.
    11-09-12 11:49 AM
    Having bought the 16 GB PB for $110 and having received one for free from RIM, I wouldn't mind paying $15-$20 for the upgrade but would be extremely pissed off. However, I would pity those people that bought the PlayBook for $499 at launch...
    11-09-12 01:49 PM
    my answer to "you have to pay for the upgrade woud be, I'll keep my playbook just the way it is thank you."

no need for any other action really. no slamming it on a brick. I'll do just as it is.
    11-10-12 01:33 AM
    RE: Would you pay RIM for BB10 OS upgrade on your PlayBook?

iSheep: "No way!... regardless of what!"

BlackSheep: "Of course!... regardless of what"

IndieSheep: "...depends..."
    11-10-12 05:46 AM
161 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD