What do you think? Maybe we could send them a cheese cake or a fruit basket to show them some gratitude?
    FF22 likes this.
    04-02-13 10:03 AM
    What do you think? Maybe we could send them a cheese cake or a fruit basket to show them some gratitude?
    gonna take a lot more than a cheesecake.
    04-02-13 10:13 AM
    No.

The device has FIPS compliance as it stands now and is one of the few tablets with that level of certification. Reporters have had enough fun reporting inaccurate stories about the UK and BB10's security status: imagine what they'd do with a story on the US government revoking FIPS certification for the PlayBook.

BlackBerry makes part of its reputation on the security of its devices. Anything that takes away that strategic advantage is foolish at worst, and at the very least playing with fire.
    Barracuda7772 likes this.
    04-02-13 10:16 AM
    gonna take a lot more than a cheesecake.
    You haven't had my cheese cake recipe!
    04-03-13 05:22 PM
    a real Blackberry fan and supporter would never have to even think of this question let alone ask it :O
    rthonpm likes this.
    04-04-13 08:40 AM
    I wouldn't ask if they didn't use us as beta testers for BB10. Also, PB OS 2.1 just sucks, and most of you know it. There are some positive things about the current OS, but there are more negatives that makes the PB not a "Professional Tablet" as BB calls it.
    04-04-13 02:27 PM
    I wouldn't ask if they didn't use us as beta testers for BB10. Also, PB OS 2.1 just sucks, and most of you know it. There are some positive things about the current OS, but there are more negatives that makes the PB not a "Professional Tablet" as BB calls it.
    all things considering. the fact that we have a 2 year old.tablet still getting updates is fanstastic
    04-04-13 02:40 PM
    Not trying to start anything. Serious question. What negatives have you found that makes PB not a professional tablet? I used mine just fine for business and school. For me it would be the simplified PDF reader and the wonky powerpoint reader. Never liked that. But this thing is still running strong after this long without any problems so I can only wait for BB10 to come for it and use it for what I can until then (which is a lot). But in all honesty the OS is what makes the PB unique. So putting android on it, or whatever, would be useless time wasting for any professional. Just get a Nexus or Galaxy instead and you get updated hardware along with the OS you want. I realize this makes your thread kind of pointless. Sorry.
    rthonpm and Barracuda7772 like this.
    04-04-13 02:50 PM
    Why ask for permission, just open it yourself...
    04-04-13 03:29 PM
    Would it be possible for Blackberry to make a program so that you can unlock the boatloader while still maintaining the security they want us to have?
    04-04-13 04:24 PM
    Majority of Android and iOS fanboys will tell you the PS OS is neat and impressive considering the time it came out and especially when we're told we'll also be getting BB10 (or they say) The only gripe they have is the lack of apps. Anything else anyone else says is simply ignorant. The same applies for BB10.

We should be grateful.
    Barracuda7772 likes this.
    04-04-13 05:41 PM
    Would it be possible for Blackberry to make a program so that you can unlock the boatloader while still maintaining the security they want us to have?
    no not possible for example imagine having a really nice house with lotsof really expensive things in it and thwn handing out keys to the backdoor.

just not possible the most they could do is something what htc does in their bootloaders called "S On" its security so you can root the phone and install custom roms just not mess up tje radio files and kernal but when root access is granted security is comprimised
    04-04-13 05:56 PM
    Not trying to start anything. Serious question. What negatives have you found that makes PB not a professional tablet? I used mine just fine for business and school. For me it would be the simplified PDF reader and the wonky powerpoint reader. Never liked that. But this thing is still running strong after this long without any problems so I can only wait for BB10 to come for it and use it for what I can until then (which is a lot). But in all honesty the OS is what makes the PB unique. So putting android on it, or whatever, would be useless time wasting for any professional. Just get a Nexus or Galaxy instead and you get updated hardware along with the OS you want. I realize this makes your thread kind of pointless. Sorry.
    Agreed, except I don't mind the PDF reader - it gets the job done. My costs have been covered (both the 32GB I bought at full launch day price and the replacement 64GB I bought a year later) by savings gained. All gravy now and with a new OS soonish, I get a brand new tablet free!
    eddy_berry likes this.
    04-04-13 06:43 PM
    Why would anyone want to unlock the bootloader in the first place? Is there some added benefit?

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 10:55 PM
    Even you ask them not nicely, they still won't allow it...

Posted via Z10
    04-05-13 08:33 AM
    BlackBerry will never allow unlocking of the bootloader. Why would they? There security rating of the BlackBerry PlayBook would be adversely compromised. But feel free to send Thorsten Heins a politely worded hand-written letter asking him to unlock your BlackBerry PlayBook.
    04-05-13 08:43 AM
    Why would they do this?

Don't you get it?

Don't you think there's some reason why the bootloader is so secure?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, in this instance, but most times people ask this and I wonder if they're either ********, or have such narrow focus of understanding that they might as well be.

Ask yourself this - why, do you imagine, it was done that way?
    04-05-13 05:05 PM
    Why would they do this?

Don't you get it?

Don't you think there's some reason why the bootloader is so secure?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, in this instance, but most times people ask this and I wonder if they're either ********, or have such narrow focus of understanding that they might as well be.

Ask yourself this - why, do you imagine, it was done that way?
    I like the way you think and agree with you 100% and with that being said not everybody has the vast knowledge and understanding of the inner workings of the blackberry playbook os and blackberry in general.

you can't assume because their on crackberry they know what their talking about.

although I personally could argue till the cows come home
    04-05-13 05:38 PM
    I like the way you think and agree with you 100% and with that being said not everybody has the vast knowledge and understanding of the inner workings of the blackberry playbook os and blackberry in general.

you can't assume because their on crackberry they know what their talking about.

although I personally could argue till the cows come home
    I know why most people ask it - because they tend to come from a background of Android and modding and cfw of every device they have.

But there's reasons why some vendors do this sort of lock-in / security - and I really can't understand whether it's pure naivete or simply such a narrow focus on their own interests that make people believe it's a viable option / question.

In the past, when I've seen people argue / question this, it's been based on the whole "surely unlocking the device to the modding community will breath more life into it" - well that really rather depends on who's gonna benefit, where it was targeted, and where a significant portion of their business may be now, and on an on-going basis.

Surely BlackBerry themselves would have everything to lose and nothing to gain from doing so, and I'm not getting why at a reasonably high-level, somebody who'd understand enough to ask the question, would be fool enough to ask the question.

Perhaps I'm being harsh - but it's what I do well, so I've learned to roll with it.
    04-05-13 05:47 PM
    I know why most people ask it - because they tend to come from a background of Android and modding and cfw of every device they have.

But there's reasons why some vendors do this sort of lock-in / security - and I really can't understand whether it's pure naivete or simply such a narrow focus on their own interests that make people believe it's a viable option / question.

In the past, when I've seen people argue / question this, it's been based on the whole "surely unlocking the device to the modding community will breath more life into it" - well that really rather depends on who's gonna benefit, where it was targeted, and where a significant portion of their business may be now, and on an on-going basis.

Surely BlackBerry themselves would have everything to lose and nothing to gain from doing so, and I'm not getting why at a reasonably high-level, somebody who'd understand enough to ask the question, would be fool enough to ask the question.

Perhaps I'm being harsh - but it's what I do well, so I've learned to roll with it.
    I'm also harsh sometimes then I think about what I've said lol. but maybe your right maybe this is a red son superman alternate what if reality haha
    04-05-13 06:07 PM