There are a number of new Windows 8.1 Tablets out this Fall.

For $100 you can get a Tablet that runs FULL Windows 8.1, has 1GB of RAM and only 16GB of storage in many cases. And to be honest, it seems to do it pretty well! No it isn't going to do a lot of multitasking, it isn't going to be great and video conversion and you can forget any new high end gaming. But running Office seems fine, browsing isn't an issue, opening a large PDF seemed fine (something the PlayBook couldn't do without check-boarding).

So WHY can't BB10 be made to run on a smaller footprint???????

I know the ship has sailed on the PlayBook, but with Android being able to use less and now the bloatware that is WINDOWS care manage it!

Oh well, as I said.... having full Windows on a Tablet for only $100 is pretty nice. Or going a little more for better hardware is even better.

Note they also have a new way of installing Windows and keeping some of it compressed, so it only takes up 4GB of storage.
    11-21-14 07:12 AM
    Maybe BB10 could run on 1GB of RAM if it didn't have an Android runtime baked into it. Just speculating, but BB10 is a bit like two OSes under one hood.
    rbrar03 likes this.
    11-21-14 07:50 AM
    8.1 can barely run on 2gb ram let alone 1. While i love my venue pro, 2gb is still very limiting on what it can do
    Gatmyer and Deitzanova like this.
    11-21-14 08:05 AM
    I've just played with a couple in the stores, but even the newer Venue Pros from Dell only have 1GB of RAM. I haven't tried any desktop programs, but the few things I did in the store that were more Tablet like seemed to be fine. I had Word, Adobe, IE and task manager all open. Could browse and view the 60 page PDF with no checker boarding at all. Personally I'd rather have a $1200 Surface Pro....

I'm just saying that MS is working to do more with less.
    11-21-14 03:31 PM
    Often, there is a large gulf between what can be done and what should be done.

This is particularly true when it comes to IT projects that labor under very stringent cost limitations.

Case in point: my place of work recently spent 30 million dollars for a new citrix-dependent enterprise package with several other background apps which has been deployed on ... core 2 duo machines, most with 2 gigs of RAM, most with Windows 7, most with small physical hard disks that are 70%-90% full.
    11-21-14 04:06 PM
    My car can run on 1 pint of gasoline, but I wont get very far......

When I connect the trailer the pint runs out even quicker

SubCamp likes this.
    11-21-14 07:34 PM
    My car can run on 1 pint of gasoline, but I wont get very far......

When I connect the trailer the pint runs out even quicker

Bet yours gets further than mine. Filling up with petrol after 200 miles still fills me with horror.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 07:36 PM
    I don't think my Win 8.1 laptop ever once clocked less than 1GB of ram usage. not even after a cold boot. And my system is completely free of junk and malware. Granted, I have background services essential to work running (adobe, cloud services, mapping services etc.). But clearly that states 1GB of RAM will make for a very, very useless Win 8.1 device. 2GB of RAM is practically worthless as well - don't bother installing Chrome or having more than 2 tabs open.

So no. win8.1 devices can't really run on 1GB of RAM. Just like I believe BB10 cannot operate on the PB on 1 gig either. As a poster said above, just because it can barely function, doesn't mean the user should be put through that.
    11-24-14 11:15 AM
    What one can do isn't always necessary on what one should do. That being said I'll still with my 8gb of RAM for my Win8.1 machine. I'm about ready to max it out to 16GB with the xmas sales on laptop RAM.
    11-24-14 11:18 AM
    I've just played with a couple in the stores, but even the newer Venue Pros from Dell only have 1GB of RAM. I haven't tried any desktop programs, but the few things I did in the store that were more Tablet like seemed to be fine. I had Word, Adobe, IE and task manager all open. Could browse and view the 60 page PDF with no checker boarding at all. Personally I'd rather have a $1200 Surface Pro....

I'm just saying that MS is working to do more with less.
    Yup it will run and run well for email, web browsing media consumption and Office. Of course it depends what you're expecting, I mean running virtual machines or resource intensive games will of course need more RAM. MS has done a good job at reducing the amount of resources Windows requires from Windows 7 onward. Apparently any phone currently running Windows Phone 8 will be able to get the Windows 10 mobile upgrade, of course carrier dependent and may exclude 512 MB devices not sure. Of course they will be pushing it out through the Dev preview program, so even if the carrier doesn't officially release it people can get updated that way.
    11-24-14 11:46 AM
    This 1GB of ram argument is old and tired. It is a 4 year old tablet! 4 years in the tech world is horribly outdated. Playbook has 1GB of RAM alright, but is a much slower design than newer tablets that use MUCH faster RAM. Further the PB Cache size is slower and smaller than newer tablets, therfore even taking into account all sizes being equal, people would then complain of frequent crashing and sluggishness which the PB will occasionally suffer from.

It's like saying that because a 1986 Toyota Tercel has a 1.5L engine just like a 2015 Toyota Yaris, therefore they should automatically have the same 103 horsepower. There are many factors such as Fuel Injection, faster computers, and more refined materials that it is made from that make all the difference from the Yaris' 103 horsepower to the Tercel's 63 horsepower.

I know we all see the potential of the PlayBook and what could have been. It is about as misunderstood as a guy farting in a small room full of supermodels. People just did not understand it. But accept that even for a 4 year Playbook, it is still very capable and it does 100% of everything I ask of it. I am giving BlackBerry another 6-8 months then Surface 3 with Blend for me!

Posted via CB10
    laguna75 likes this.
    11-25-14 08:59 AM
    This 1GB of ram argument is old and tired. Playbook has 1GB of RAM alright, but is a much slower design than newer tablets that use MUCH faster RAM. Further the PB Cache size is slower and smaller than newer tablets, therfore even taking into account all sizes being equal, people would then complain of frequent crashing and sluggishness which the PB will occasionally suffer from.

It's like saying that because a 1986 Toyota Tercel has a 1.5L engine just like a 2015 Toyota Yaris, therefore they should automatically have the same 103 horsepower. There are many factors such as Fuel Injection, faster computers, and more refined materials that it is made from that make all the difference from the Yaris' 103 horsepower to the Tercel's 63 horsepower.

Posted via CB10
    Cars.... why did it have to be cars.

I agree that the PlayBook is not going to see BB10.... Was just AMAZED that Microsoft had managed to get full Windows to run on 1GB of RAM and function for what most tablet users would need. It's apparent that 1.5GB was the minimum that BB10 could be made to run with....
    11-25-14 09:12 AM
    It's like saying that because a 1986 Toyota Tercel has a 1.5L engine just like a 2015 Toyota Yaris, therefore they should automatically have the same 103 horsepower.
    Yaris with horsepowers? When did that happen? It used to be Pony's :-)
    11-25-14 09:14 AM
    Actually why did BlackBerry built Android Runtime stack in its OS layer?

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 09:15 AM

Posted via CB10
    To have control over resource "abuse" and security, to better be able to finetune for best performance and control, and allow access to special BlackBerry device features?
    11-25-14 09:19 AM
    LOL. Hey Toyota advertised my Yaris with horsepower. More like Donkeypower because those horses are too stubborn and complain loudly when forced to work! Hahahaha!

Posted via CB10
    BoldMaverick likes this.
    11-25-14 10:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    Because no one wanted to make BB compatible apps.
    11-25-14 02:12 PM
    W8.1 can run even on 512MB RAM. Problem is with swapping, if you have fast SSD you can run W8.1 on one gig run pretty decently.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 02:15 PM
    They didn't. The android runtime is loaded on top of the core OS, along with a number of other system apps. It is possible to load the basic OS on the Playbook, along with any or all system apps, without loading the android runtime, if one so desires.
    11-25-14 08:22 PM
    Windows Phone 8.1 will run fine with 512MB, just like Windows10 will (but then on all devices). No magic here.
    11-26-14 02:12 PM
    BB10 will run a lot smoother and energy efficient without the android stack. They should remove it, back to their core OS and design a much more reliable phones. It is not about app gap, as mentioned, BlackBerry phone is not for everyone. Why use the buggy android stack and introduce amazon apps? This will bring them more trouble than ever!

Posted via CB10
    apfx likes this.
    11-27-14 09:44 AM
    BB10 will run a lot smoother and energy efficient without the android stack. They should remove it, back to their core OS and design a much more reliable phones. It is not about app gap
    It obviously is about the app gap as BlackBerry partnered with Amazon to supply a consumer app solution.
    11-27-14 10:25 AM
    I wouldn't purchase a BB10 product with 1GB of RAM even if they could get it to "work". I wouldn't buy a Windows 8.1 product with 1GB or RAM either. I don't really care if a different OS can be made to run on less RAM. I buy the experience I want, along with the hardware required to let it run well. I don't really get the fixation and what OS can be choked the most on hardware. I mean how much does it add to the cost of a phone to go from 1GB to 2GB. BB should be making sure their devices are equipped to provide the full experience. IMHO, they should not be selling anything with less than 2GB RAM just to save a few bucks.
    Last edited by jhimmel; 11-27-14 at 09:12 PM.
    11-27-14 10:43 AM
    I wouldn't purchase a BB10 product with 1GB of RAM even if they could get it to "work". I wouldn't buy a Windows 8.1 product with 1GB or RAM either.
    The average consumer doesn't care about RAM nowadays.
    11-29-14 08:09 AM
    +1

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 09:52 AM
41 12