Currently all GSM Blackberrys use a Marvell processor, which does not have a GPU chip and is somewhat limited. Marvell proccessors use XScale (not ARM), which is what the BlackBerry OS runs on (and wuld be incredibly difficult to port)

However, with QNX based Blackberrys, RIM will be able to port their OS to the ARM architecture (as in the PlayBook), which should dramatically improve performance.

What I expect to see is a 800Mhz ( 200Mhz) proccessor with either the Cortex A8 or possibly the Cortex A9, ideally with OpenGL ES support and graphics processing.

This means the next generation will be much faster with similar battery life, will run Flash, but also means that current generation devices may not be upgraded to QNX.

QNX DOES run on the XScale processors, so who knows?

Also: since saying Blackberry 10700 would be too much of a mouthfull, will RIM switch to using letters?
    EG: A500 Would be the QNX Storm, A700 would be the Bold, etc?
    Last edited by grahamf; 11-10-10 at 11:38 AM.
    11-10-10 11:19 AM
    For the naming, just call them a name (Bold, Storm, Torch, etc.).

New processors will be needed. The playbook was multitasking a lot of stuff in that demo and was stuttering a little on transitions with a dual core A9, so a phone is going to need more than the existing processor.
    11-10-10 02:58 PM
    RIM should have done away with the model #s a long time ago! The only #s that make sense in todays market is Bold 2, Storm 3, etc etc. But this 9780, or 9570 crap devalues the product in my view.

This is where Apple was smart! Let the name identify the product! Not the 4 or 5 digit # that always sounds just a digit short of the next best thing coming lol
    11-11-10 12:39 PM
    RIM should have done away with the model #s a long time ago! The only #s that make sense in todays market is Bold 2, Storm 3, etc etc. But this 9780, or 9570 crap devalues the product in my view.

This is where Apple was smart! Let the name identify the product! Not the 4 or 5 digit # that always sounds just a digit short of the next best thing coming lol
    Agreed. Ipad, Iphone, MacBook, etc. Bold has three current versions (9000, 9700, 9650)? Iphone has one current version if ya'll are follwoing me.

Signed... elgolfman2
    11-13-10 02:35 PM
    Currently all GSM Blackberrys use a Marvell processor, which does not have a GPU chip and is somewhat limited. Marvell proccessors use XScale (not ARM), which is what the BlackBerry OS runs on (and wuld be incredibly difficult to port)

However, with QNX based Blackberrys, RIM will be able to port their OS to the ARM architecture (as in the PlayBook), which should dramatically improve performance.

What I expect to see is a 800Mhz ( 200Mhz) proccessor with either the Cortex A8 or possibly the Cortex A9, ideally with OpenGL ES support and graphics processing.

This means the next generation will be much faster with similar battery life, will run Flash, but also means that current generation devices may not be upgraded to QNX.

QNX DOES run on the XScale processors, so who knows?

Also: since saying Blackberry 10700 would be too much of a mouthfull, will RIM switch to using letters?
    EG: A500 Would be the QNX Storm, A700 would be the Bold, etc?
    Why go to the trouble of making a new processor that is inferior to what the competition already has available right now? When it does come out who knows what they'll have, there are already rumors of dual core and 2ghz processors.

RIM should be concentrating on making new processors that are 1ghz+, period.

Battery life you say, well my Bold running whatever its running, never could figure it out, barely makes it a day before I have to charge it. If I talk on it for any length of time forget about it. About 2 hours of talking drains it completely. I had the same problem with my Tour as well so its not my phone.

Im not bagging on anyone and Ive accepted the battery life issue as just a "cost" of having a smartphone. Your phone does more it take more battery, fine. But its not like BBs have astounding battery life as it is and that the excuse that they use for having slow processors. I see people say id take a slower processor for better battery life all the time, but I guess I just dont consider the battery life on my BB to be anything special, or even that good for that matter.
    11-15-10 03:36 PM
    RIM making processors? lol
    11-15-10 04:42 PM
    Why go to the trouble of making a new processor that is inferior to what the competition already has available right now? When it does come out who knows what they'll have, there are already rumors of dual core and 2ghz processors.

Battery life you say, well my Bold running whatever its running, never could figure it out, barely makes it a day before I have to charge it. If I talk on it for any length of time forget about it. About 2 hours of talking drains it completely. I had the same problem with my Tour as well so its not my phone.

Im not bagging on anyone and Ive accepted the battery life issue as just a "cost" of having a smartphone. Your phone does more it take more battery, fine. But its not like BBs have astounding battery life as it is and that the excuse that they use for having slow processors. I see people say id take a slower processor for better battery life all the time, but I guess I just dont consider the battery life on my BB to be anything special, or even that good for that matter.
    What are you doing to drain the battery in 2 hours? I'm a fairly heavy user, on it all day, easily a couple hours surfing, talking for upwards of an hour and listening to pandora for a couple hours too. That's not even mentioning the things I have running in the background. I'm typically down to 60% by the end of the day (os5) with all that usage. (40% on Os6)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-10 08:09 AM
    Don't CDMA blackBerries already run on Qualcomm chips? So there is no porting if they want to run on the latest gen snapdragons.

Also if they go 800 MHz for battery life and there is even the SLIGHTEST lag, it would be a blood bath. Probably would be a bloodbath even if the device runs like bitter off a hot biscuit. Everyone is going to over 1 ghz and now dual core and here comes RIM with 800 MHz talking about how they see revolutionizing their devices. That would be a joke.

12-04-10 06:58 AM
    Don't CDMA blackBerries already run on Qualcomm chips? So there is no porting if they want to run on the latest gen snapdragons.

Also if they go 800 MHz for battery life and there is even the SLIGHTEST lag, it would be a blood bath. Probably would be a bloodbath even if the device runs like bitter off a hot biscuit. Everyone is going to over 1 ghz and now dual core and here comes RIM with 800 MHz talking about how they see revolutionizing their devices. That would be a joke.

Apparently only lower end devices, like the Pearl Slide, will get the slower 800Mhz CPU.
    12-04-10 10:48 AM
    That would make sense but how do you know that?

I would think only the torch or Storm would need really high end chips. Maybe bold touch but who knows.

WES or whatever they will call it is too far out for me. Especially if that is just the announcement and then its months before you see a device. Remember BB6 was announced there and then unseen until the torch dropped 3 months later.

12-04-10 11:27 AM
    That would make sense but how do you know that?
    I read EVERYTHING in the News and Rumours, PlayBook, Upcoming devices, and Storm 9570 subforums.

That allows me to consolidate the rumours.
    12-04-10 04:51 PM
    I read EVERYTHING in the News and Rumours, PlayBook, Upcoming devices, and Storm 9570 subforums.

That allows me to consolidate the rumours.
    LOL. I used to be that guy.

12-04-10 10:08 PM
    From what it looks like, RIM is using the TI OMAP 4430 Dual Core 1Ghz processor in the Playbook. The QNX platform is already built on the OMAP platform and the A9 architecture. It's almost a walk in the park to just stick that same processor in the smartphone and call it day...
    12-21-10 12:03 PM
    I agree. The Tablife video showed the OMAP 4430 for the Playbook. I dunno if they meant to show it. But if does end up being in the final hardware, which I don't really see why it wouldn't be, then I'm inclined to believe RIM is going with the TI OMAP 4 series for their upcoming handsets.

I know CX has been mentioning the Marvell Armada 628 a lot and saying how efficient its triple-core processor is, but it might not be here for awhile. Then again the handsets might not be either...

The Marvell chip also already officially supports Blackberry too.....I'd like to see how this plays out. So much mystery with the handsets. We're used to so many leaks and now RIM is just super quiet. I know there is a lot of doubt in them but I hope they nail it 2011.
    12-26-10 05:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD