just wondering as there doesn't seem to be much mention about an actual port to this device.

Im currently using HCL but it's very limited as to what you can do.
    01-06-12 02:47 AM
    not in the developers interests i would guess
    they would rather port it to more popular devices like the kindle and nooks.

email the CM group and see what they say
    01-06-12 08:54 AM
    With there being 30 million different Android OSs out there, it would be very difficult to port a "fully functional" one. The best devs could do is port the most common features amongst all the different variations of Android.
    01-06-12 09:56 AM
    please register and vote for a playbook forum @ xda here: *** New Device Forum Voting Thread *** - xda-developers

it is close to the top of the leaderboard right now so there is a good chance we could get an xda forum which would be a step in the right direction
    robber, zeldras and zero7berry like this.
    01-06-12 12:05 PM
    hopefully it will. Other wise it will go the way of the laser disk.
    01-06-12 08:13 PM
    Android is not an OS, it is a GNU/Linux distribution, with a special Java API and a Marketplace. Think of it as the new BREW, RIM's player qualify's as Android as well as anything I've seen on a phone.

What is Android? | Android Developers

And to make it worse, there are at least four sub distros of Android

Heck.If it wasn't essentially free, I doubt anyone would suffer it.

If an ODM actually had to pay for Android, LOL, well heck, I guess they do, they sell their customers out to Google, and pay Microsoft off.

QNX is a real OS, the only microkernel that really works, and it's got decades of cred behind it's dependability, heck, QNX was over 10 years old before Linix hit 1.0

(Even though Apple "uses" Mach, their implementation is considered a hybrid kernel.)
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-07-12 07:00 AM
    just wondering as there doesn't seem to be much mention about an actual port to this device.

Im currently using HCL but it's very limited as to what you can do.
    IMO, the PlayBook would be the best 7" Android tab if they got everything working, but the real reason we likely won't see a full port on the PlayBook is the locked/encrypted bootloader. Unless someone can crack the bootloader on the PlayBook, we won't be running anything but QNX. It's a shame too, I think lots of people would buy PlayBooks if they knew they could run Android on it. I would buy two more PlayBooks if I could get HoneyComb or Ice Cream Sandwich running on it.
    01-07-12 03:18 PM
    not in the developers interests i would guess
    they would rather port it to more popular devices like the kindle and nooks.

email the CM group and see what they say
    I can understand where you are coming from, but the massive price drop of the playbook has caused a bit of a storm, three of my friends and I have all bought one because of the shear value and what you get out of the box.

I think 1 month ago it may not have been the most popular device, but I can assure you, now with the price crunch, that the number of people with a playbook just rose ten fold.
    01-07-12 05:09 PM
    The PlayBook has a locked bootloader. It will only boot OSs that have been RIM approved. While it's theoretically possibly it has a security vulnerability enabling it to be cracked I wouldn't count on it. BlackBerry phones have similar technology and they have never been cracked, despite being on the market for more than a decade. It's not quite impossible, but it's pretty close to.
    01-08-12 11:28 PM
    Check out the article just released by the Telegraph, reported i believe in the Playbook OS forum. If you trust RIM..... RIM has gone on record as saying that OS 2 does have android compatibility.

Edit: Here is the article... RIM confirms features of 2.0
    Last edited by kb5zht; 01-10-12 at 09:55 AM.
    01-10-12 09:39 AM
    Check out the article just released by the Telegraph, reported i believe in the Playbook OS forum. If you trust RIM..... RIM has gone on record as saying that OS 2 does have android compatibility.

Edit: Here is the article... RIM confirms features of 2.0
    That's something completely different. That's the Android app player, not installing Android itself.
    01-10-12 03:34 PM
    Might be fun for kicks and all but I'll take QNX anyday. Its evolution from rock solid OS to rock solid OS for consumers is remarkable. It took Apple years to make NeXT usable for the masses and even longer before it was ready for mobile. With what I see coming in OS 2 for PlayBook I can't wait to see what OS 3 might bring to the party. Sure android can come, it's a big party, but the host and star is QNX.
    01-10-12 04:58 PM
    That's something completely different. That's the Android app player, not installing Android itself.
    Oh, gotcha... well im not picky. Either way.
    01-10-12 08:30 PM
    Just buy a frickin android tablet...there are billions of them.
    buwee likes this.
    01-10-12 08:35 PM
    please register and vote for a playbook forum @ xda here: *** New Device Forum Voting Thread *** - xda-developers

it is close to the top of the leaderboard right now so there is a good chance we could get an xda forum which would be a step in the right direction
    Voted. That is gonna be a massive support from Xda - developers if it gets to the top, even if RIM refuse to continue develop playbook update.
    ayushagnihotri likes this.
    01-11-12 08:59 AM
    All of you people making posts about voting on xda,did you not read the post under it? Even the top voted device may not get a forum, it is up to the site creators on which device they decide to support. with that being said, I used all 6 of my emails and voted 6 times for the PB.
    01-11-12 10:04 AM
    short answer....no. its not financially viable.

long answer, yes, you`ll have full android on your PB, then suddenly you`ll realise its actually your kindle fire ya picked up (jus jokin)
    01-11-12 10:09 AM
    All of you people making posts about voting on xda,did you not read the post under it? Even the top voted device may not get a forum, it is up to the site creators on which device they decide to support. with that being said, I used all 6 of my emails and voted 6 times for the PB.
    Yes we do realised that. But that is very likely Playbook will get support from XDA - Developers!!!
    01-11-12 11:13 AM

Done, and Playbooks in the lead with 20% votes
    01-11-12 12:52 PM
    After some of these OS2 demos, these xda guys should look into porting QNX to Android tablets.
    01-11-12 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD