I have always assumed that when 2.0 is released in February that it will include the native PIM apps. I was surfing over to the Blackberry OS page on Wikipedia and it mentioned that 2.0 would be released in February and the native PIM apps sometime after that.

What is the general consensus or word from RIM on this, for those who have interacted with their Dev?
    01-24-12 02:20 PM
    It will have email. RIM wouldn't go through this circus again.

I think it's a lesson learned by every tech company... Never release a tablet without email, and never promise 60 days... Arhhhh Jim, we'll miss you! :-)
    01-24-12 02:31 PM
    considering we're about 24 days away from OS 2 launch, its pretty iffy we'll see another developer build but at the same point, one would think they would have developers test it out before launching it.
    01-24-12 04:28 PM
    considering we're about 24 days away from OS 2 launch, its pretty iffy we'll see another developer build but at the same point, one would think they would have developers test it out before launching it.
    Why would the app developers need email? All the developer beta is for is to test that their apps work.
    01-24-12 04:35 PM
    The wikipedia article appears to be wrong (I hope)

"A future update will incorporate Blackberry Email, Address Book & Calendar into the Playbook. The update will be expected to issue sometime after February 2012."
    01-24-12 06:27 PM
    Since when wikipedia is thrusted source of information about future software updates?!

Use it for facts and not for future software releases

Sent from my Playbook
    01-24-12 06:37 PM
    I have always assumed that when 2.0 is released in February that it will include the native PIM apps.
    It will include them. Releasing the native PIM apps is the primary purpose of 2.0. See An Update on BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog where it mentions "The software update will add advanced integrated email, calendar and contact apps, a new video store, as well as new functionality that will allow your BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry PlayBook to work together even better."
    ridesno159 and cntrydncr223 like this.
    01-24-12 06:46 PM
    No more dev beta's. The one we have is the last version RIM is releasing for 2.0. The Dev Beta isn't really a fully beta for consumer testing anyways...
    01-24-12 07:25 PM
    If you look at the article, it states an update will be issued after February( has started) to include email, etc.
    It is under the "future" heading. Looking at it from the present, it is correct.
    01-24-12 08:29 PM
    If you look at the article, it states an update will be issued after February( has started) to include email, etc.
    It is under the "future" heading. Looking at it from the present, it is correct.
    If you read it together with the paragraph above it I don't see how you could interpret it that way.
    01-24-12 09:18 PM
    I will say though that I wish RIM had released a fully functional "developer" beta near the end because there is so much riding on this release and they really won't have a fallback plan if they missed something big...

PG
    01-24-12 09:29 PM
    This is as fully functional dev-wise as you are going to get before the official release.
    01-24-12 09:35 PM
    If you read it together with the paragraph above it I don't see how you could interpret it that way.
    if you take into account the line cutting across the page sectioning the topics and a whole new subject heading "Future," you would interpret it that way. Check the table of contents at the top. Completely different section.

BlackBerry Tablet OS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As stated earlier, it is wikipedia. You shouldnt take it so seriously.
    01-25-12 12:29 AM
    As stated earlier, it is wikipedia. You shouldnt take it so seriously.
    That, and just fix it. Which I've done (merging Future into the existing section on 2.0, with a reference).
    01-25-12 07:42 AM
    One of the OS 2/Balance slides I saw today had BBM as a regular app, not in the Bridge area. Just a power point slide image, so it could have been a mockup. But, native e-mail and contacts will be in OS2. The sales guy said that the whole issue of setting up the e-mail on the PlayBook as well as a BB phone was one of the tough hurdles for RIM.
    01-25-12 01:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD