I've owned my PB since April. I've never had any wifi issues until now. I was on OS 2.0 for the past month before downgrading to 1.0.8 today as I heard the issue had been fixed. I have probably tried every single suggestion that has been made on this forum. Changing to mixed b/g, only g, WPA only (TKIP) and WPA2 (AES), any of those combinations and I still cannot get a stable connection. I am on a D-Link DIR-601 router.

What puzzles me is that this is happening to me now. Like I said I've been using this PB since April with no issues and I was also a couple weeks in to the 1st 2.0 version before I started having wifi troubles. I don't know what else I can do by myself besides calling in RIM support and asking for a replacement. I am wondering if anyone on here could help me out and provide some more suggestions for me.

I've been following the PB since its announcement in Sept 2010 and bought it a week after release in April. I really enjoy using this device but the past couple days have been a downer for me. Without a stable wifi connection, the PB is pretty much useless, other than being a audio/video player (I don't play a lot games on it).

Would really like to have this issue fixed so I can continue to use my PB!
    12-07-11 04:59 AM
    I've owned my PB since April. I've never had any wifi issues until now. I was on OS 2.0 for the past month before downgrading to 1.0.8 today as I heard the issue had been fixed. I have probably tried every single suggestion that has been made on this forum. Changing to mixed b/g, only g, WPA only (TKIP) and WPA2 (AES), any of those combinations and I still cannot get a stable connection. I am on a D-Link DIR-601 router.

<snip>

And another group of PB owners take up point...

You could try WEP on your router. I've read of problems with WPA. Good Luck!

For me, the .6067 build seems to have fixed my Playbook problems - so, thank you RIM.

I don't mind if you spare your blushes by pretending that this patch was all about dingleberry and making DST work, I still thank you sincerely for restoring connectivity.

My browser no longer runs like a dog with one leg. The hanging (when connected via Bridge) is still present particularly with "heavy" sites like CrackBerry, but is bearable as it's measured in seconds rather than being so long that I had to stop the PB from going to sleep, and both WiFi and BT connections seem stable. For the first time since the original 1.08 build, I didn't have to re-install Bridge from scratch each day.

I can't report on whether the "N-problem" is also resolved as I don't have a modern router.
    12-07-11 06:41 AM

I can update you with my findings.

I haven't had any success at all changing the security levels on the router. Heck, I even ran it without any security for about 1/2 and hour and still had the issue.

The issue is N and the 5 Ghz.

Before the patch the PlayBook would only run stable in mixed b/g mode. Some router tampering has the PlayBook running at 54Mbps.

After the patch the PlayBook would run stable at mixed b/g/n but very sluggish. I switched back to b/g and have the band type set on the playbook to 2.4Ghz only.

Very quick once again. Now I have changed all my wifi connections from dual band to 2.4GHz and all seems well. Smooth and quick. Best wifi experience I have had with the PlayBook to date. We'll see as I change from access point to access point.
    ibillwilson and flash24 like this.
    12-07-11 07:59 AM
    ... the band type set on the playbook to 2.4Ghz only.

Very quick once again. Now I have changed all my wifi connections from dual band to 2.4GHz and all seems well...
    Holy Carp! Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!

Up to this point, I was very frustrated... then voila! With that change, my wifi is sooooo much better.
    12-07-11 09:01 AM
    Well, i turned my in and got another. And everything its working now as it should
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-07-11 11:43 AM
    Well I had nothing to lose so I changed my wireless router from a Cisco Valet M20 to a D-Link DIR-632. Put in the same parameters as best as I could. G only, same ssid, etc.

Lo and behold, everything suddenly started working again, like before the upgrade. The browser would load pages completely. Kobo connected. Don't know if turning off the router for an extended period had anything to do with it? I had tried rebooting before but that only had it off the air for several seconds. Hope today's upgrade doesn't undo this progress.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-07-11 08:56 PM
    Same problem with WiFi connectivity upgrading to the latest OS update here.
    12-10-11 03:16 PM
    Yes. wifi seems to working for me too now with the new update.

Which new update/patch are you guys talking about? 2.0.0.4869?
    12-11-11 05:23 AM
    Which new update/patch are you guys talking about? 2.0.0.4869?
    Given the thread title, I'd hope everyone posting in here is talking about 1.08 (.6067 is the latest build).

If you aren't... move along, nothing to see...
    Last edited by JeepBB; 12-11-11 at 07:23 AM.
    JohnBoy28 likes this.
    12-11-11 06:53 AM
    Upgraded and everything is working fine.
    12-11-11 10:55 PM
    I upgraded to 1.08.6067 awhile back- no problems until the last couple of days , first I had to reboot 3-4 times to get the wifi to connect, now it won't connect at all.
    12-12-11 06:21 PM
    I upgraded to 1.08.6067 awhile back- no problems until the last couple of days , first I had to reboot 3-4 times to get the wifi to connect, now it won't connect at all.
    If you've read the suggestions, go into your router and find where it is set to use the N standard and change to b/g or similar but disable N.
    12-12-11 10:24 PM
    If you've read the suggestions, go into your router and find where it is set to use the N standard and change to b/g or similar but disable N.
    This is not a solution. Disabling N means all your other wireless devices (and range) suffers greatly.
    12-13-11 09:02 AM
    This is not a solution. Disabling N means all your other wireless devices (and range) suffers greatly.
    You're right. It is not the solution but a work around. We have all become accustom to RIM and their short comings. We've all had to do work arounds for many things.

This is just one of those things.

Either (A) you adjust your router and enjoy the PlayBook or (B) leave your router and not use your PlayBook via wifi.

I chose option A. Working great and displaying 54Mbps too .

Remember to change your wifi location on your PlayBook from dual to 2.4 only.
    randomact45 likes this.
    12-13-11 09:09 AM
    While I haven't had this problem and it is not a solution the only thing your other devices will suffer from is a slower transfer rate over your home network unless your internet connection is faster than 24mbps or so.
    yaletownboy likes this.
    12-13-11 09:31 AM
    I read the suggestions and there doesn't seem to be a N option on my router. This is really upsetting me since it is so buggy. It is a 801 g wireless router.

I am getting ready to just take this thing back-work or not work I can deal with but this works sometimes and not other times is crap.

I have set the blackberry to 2.4 only.

Last edited by Bill_52; 12-14-11 at 06:46 PM.
    12-14-11 06:31 PM
    One other thing - I used to have 2.4 cordless phones (not cell phones - just wireless at home). I found that I would lock my wifi connection on my laptop if I also made a phone call. The 2.4 phone signal was the same as the wifi router/receive combo. I replaced those phones with the newer/next standard 5.xxx (whatever) and my router/laptop problems resolved.

My router is an older linksys.
    Last edited by F2; 12-14-11 at 09:10 PM.
    12-14-11 07:11 PM
    maybe its just my router, but i actually get smaller range using "n". :/
    12-14-11 07:54 PM
    maybe its just my router, but i actually get smaller range using "n". :/
    it's not your router. i bought a wireless n router and returned it thinking it was defective. then i bought a dual band n router and the range is just as bad as the 1st. they all advertise that it's better than g but i don't see how.
    12-14-11 10:10 PM
    I disabled N on my router because we have a laptop that doesn't support N (mine does). There's a B/G/N compat mode but signal strength goes haywire with that setting so I use B/G.
    12-15-11 06:40 AM
    Had the same connectivity problems (slow and dropping all the time). Changed wireless router (CISCO Wrt160n) settings to mixed B/G and channel to 7. It was choosing channel 11 on auto. Coincidence? I don't know but connection is now fast and seems reliable.
    12-17-11 10:23 AM
171 ... 567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD