I was having this issue and deleted all my saved networks and re-created them and it seems to have sorted out.
    11-27-11 07:02 PM
    I had the same issues and solved it by changing the security settings in my router from WPA2 to WPA! It seems that the router hung up before, becaue the notebooks had issues as well! (But caused by the PB) With 1.0.7.xxxx the problems weren't there - hopefully RIM will have a fix and 2.0 soon available!
    11-28-11 03:08 AM
    Ok, now I am getting discouraged.

I decided to see if this wifi problem has anything to do with the security of wpa etc or not.

So this morning I decided to remove all security from my router and make it free and clear. All was well for about 5 minutes when "unable to connect to server" showed up yet once again.

This glitch doesn't have anything to do with security UNLESS my unit has gone bad and needs repair (which is possible but not probable).

So now all I have left to play with is the channels and the N,G,B settings.

If someone else could try running their router without any security on for 30 minutes to even an hour (if you make it over 15 minutes then its probably ok) and see if you still experience the wifi drop.

Please try and report back here. Thanks.
    11-28-11 08:32 AM
    Well, have any of you guys wondered how RIM will solve this issue as we lose our wifi connectivity? Wifi is the only way to update the PB OS.

They may send a small patch to the existing OS. Small enough to be able to receive it during these first minutes of grace.

But.. What would happen if a new OS update came with no wifi at all (as it is shown it COULD happen)?
    11-28-11 09:11 AM
    Ok, now I am getting discouraged.

I decided to see if this wifi problem has anything to do with the security of wpa etc or not.

So this morning I decided to remove all security from my router and make it free and clear. All was well for about 5 minutes when "unable to connect to server" showed up yet once again.

This glitch doesn't have anything to do with security UNLESS my unit has gone bad and needs repair (which is possible but not probable).

So now all I have left to play with is the channels and the N,G,B settings.

If someone else could try running their router without any security on for 30 minutes to even an hour (if you make it over 15 minutes then its probably ok) and see if you still experience the wifi drop.

Please try and report back here. Thanks.
    Interesting... this is the first post I read where someone is having trouble with no wifi security implemented.

I did not try wide open security but I downgraded security encryption from WPA2 (AES) to WPA (TKIP) and was able to browse for hours without any issues. If I downgraded to WPA (AES), I had timeout issues just like WPA2 (AES). So AES encryption on and the N network mode was causing me problems with the playbook. Changing this has resolved the issue for some forum members.

N network mode is another cause. Change your router settings G only or B/G. That's what I did and it has been working without issues for a day now with WPA2 (AES). This has resolved the many issues for forums members.

In conclusion, I can get it work by changing ONE of these features:
    WPA2 (ASE) to WPA (TKIP)
    or
    N network mode to G only or B/G mixed.

I use a linksys WRT106N (version 1). I think the issue has more to do with the N network mode and the security settings are a side product of that.
    adhen and Newfangled Gizmo like this.
    11-28-11 01:20 PM
    Well, have any of you guys wondered how RIM will solve this issue as we lose our wifi connectivity? Wifi is the only way to update the PB OS.

They may send a small patch to the existing OS. Small enough to be able to receive it during these first minutes of grace.

But.. What would happen if a new OS update came with no wifi at all (as it is shown it COULD happen)?
    As part of my troubleshooting, I performed a security wipe and was unable to update during the setup process. It would always stall a few minutes in and cancel out. It was frustrating until I went into my router settings and temporarily disabled all security encryption. After doing this, I had no problems grabbing the update.
    11-28-11 01:24 PM
    I can confirm the above. I have been able to leave the security on WPA2 and AES and spent the last 3 days without a single wifi issue just by changing the router to 'b/g mixed' instead of 'mixed', which I assume includes the offending 'N' band.
    11-28-11 01:27 PM
    My access point is set up as 802.11g with AES encryption (WPA2). Up until yesterday my playbook indicated a connection speed of 28 Mbps. Except for the lower than expected WiFi speed I was not experiencing any issues with WiFi. Internet access was fast and reliable. I run dd-wrt on linksys WRT54GL hardware. Based on a suggestion earlier in this thread I modified my "basic rate" setting on the access point from "default" to "all" and changed my "transmission fixed rate" from "auto" to "54 Mbps". I reconnected the playbook and my connection speed was now 54 Mbps. I changed the "transmission fixed rate" setting back to "auto" and my playbook now always indicates a connection speed of 54 Mbps. Internet access is snappy and reliable. Intranet (between computers in my home) access speeds are still very slow.
    11-28-11 06:36 PM
    I can confirm the above. I have been able to leave the security on WPA2 and AES and spent the last 3 days without a single wifi issue just by changing the router to 'b/g mixed' instead of 'mixed', which I assume includes the offending 'N' band.
    Well I came home and switched the router to "mixed b/g".

The PlayBook snapped to life and hasn't quit.

RIM has messed up the N part of some PlayBooks. I can't use it at work unless I am on bridge.

*PlayBook owner walks into local McDonalds":
    cashier: Hi. Welcome to McDonalds. How can I serve you.
    PB Owner: Hi. Please change your router settings from mixed b/g/n to mixed b/g please. I want to use my tablet here.
    cashier: Just a minute and I'll get my manager. SIR!! We got another PlayBook owner here.

Come on RIM!!! Please fix this.
    11-28-11 08:37 PM
    I can also confirm by changing the linksys to the b/g work.
    11-28-11 09:08 PM
    Glad to see everones is working when switching to B/G...now can anyone please help me change my settings. I know dumb question but can't seem to find out how or see the data rate. Thank you.

Also i have a linksys WRT106N.

TIA
    11-28-11 11:35 PM
    For your router?

I have circled the important areas that you can used as a guide to get you where your router may have them.

on your PlayBook?

home the home screen:
    1. swipe down from top
    2. tap wifi on left
    3. tap wifi symbol to left of connect manually
    4. tap device info and select wifi ingo
    5. scroll to bottom.

That should show you something between 2Mpbs to 24 Mpbs.

Make the change on your router and the PlayBook will show 54Mpbs.

PS - This is a late night entry. I'll reread and edit in the morning. 1am EST for me right now.
    Last edited by The_Adventist; 11-28-11 at 11:53 PM.
    vgwillm and anon(3750701) like this.
    11-28-11 11:50 PM
    Thank you...i was being stupid. I was trying to change my router on my home PC settings.
    11-28-11 11:54 PM
    Will try the settings as soon as NOVA 2 finishes downloading.
    11-28-11 11:55 PM
    For your router?

I have circled the important areas that you can used as a guide to get you where your router may have them.

on your PlayBook?

home the home screen:
    1. swipe down from top
    2. tap wifi on left
    3. tap wifi symbol to left of connect manually
    4. tap device info and select wifi ingo
    5. scroll to bottom.

That should show you something between 2Mpbs to 24 Mpbs.

Make the change on your router and the PlayBook will show 54Mpbs.

PS - This is a late night entry. I'll reread and edit in the morning. 1am EST for me right now.
    I made the "default" to "all" change yesterday to my linksys router and the wifi performance seems snappier. Great find and thanks for sharing!
    11-29-11 12:29 AM
    after completing every possible tbst step, i called rim and have been advised it's a known issue and they are working on a fix ... it would have been nice to know before we upgrade though... for now, i did as many suggested and dropped the wireless N and since my wifi did not drop. but i cant do so in internet cafe or other places... so am really hoping RIM will realize that time is not on their side
    11-29-11 01:00 AM
    Yup I get wifi drops in 1.0.8 as well, which didn't happen previously. Turning off wifi and turning it back on fixes it (or use flight mode), no need to reboot.
    11-29-11 12:46 PM
    In conclusion, I can get it work by changing ONE of these features:
    WPA2 (ASE) to WPA (TKIP)
    or
    N network mode to G only or B/G mixed.

I use a linksys WRT106N (version 1). I think the issue has more to do with the N network mode and the security settings are a side product of that.
    king benny, I really appreciate your summary of possible fixes for the Wi-Fi problem. It's nice to have an army of geeks (I intend that to be the nicest compliment) to figure out solutions to problems like this. My strengths lie in other fields. Thank you all.

Changing my router to 'b/g mixed' seems to have worked for me. I've been using my PlayBook for a day without incident since doing so.

After the 1.0.8.4985 update, browsing on Wi-Fi would stall after a few minutes minutes, and if I kept PB�s Wi-Fi on, it would bring down my entire home network. There were no problems at work, however, and I have not used any hotspots since the update.

I've had PB since launch date. This was the first time I've had any serious issue with it, so I was really disappointed. Wi-Fi bamboozles me (I remember it was strangely difficult to set up a secure network) and I didn't want to spend a lot of time poking around and possibly disrupting a good setup.

Really, a tablet user should not be forced to tinker with the Wi-Fi network! The device should work on Wi-Fi systems across the board. That being said, the ability to access the internet through my BB 9700's connection saved the day, to some extent.

11-29-11 01:20 PM
    This was driving me mad but now i seem to have fixed it, at least on mine.

make sure that your current wifi ssid is at the very top of your saved wifi lists, that way it wont keep scanning for other preferred ssids and dropping your connection.

to do this goto wifi, change to saved networks, touch the pen and then hold your preffered ssid for a sec and drag it up. mine has been stable for 3 hrs now. back to reckless racing now
    11-29-11 05:07 PM
    THIS IS HUGE....for me and maybe it will help someone else.

If you look at picture #1 it shows my Connection Data Rate at 2 Mps.

If you look at picture #2 it now shows my Connection Data Rate at 54Mps!!!

Picture #3 shows my router settings. By default my basic rate was set to 1-2Mps. Once I set it to "all" my PlayBook boosted up to 54Mps!!

I don't know quite yet if this affects the connection stability but this is a great start in making my experience better.

If your PlayBook wifi status shows 2Mps or 11Mps, try searching your router for these settings.

*** Update ***
    This did not change the connection stability but still makes me happier to see it at a greater speed then 2Mps.
    So did you try a speedtest while it read 2Mbps?

To anyone, happen to know what Belkin calls this "Basic Rate"? I dont see it in my router setting. My PB reads 11Mbps, but I manage speeds on 20-30Mbps anyways...
    11-30-11 12:33 AM
    wow someone should sticky this thread as there are other threads being made about the same problem...

i will be trying this tomorrow as my current "workaround solution" is turning the wifi off and on...
    my pending question is that my playbook SHOWS that it's connected on the g band even though i have an N router (linksys e2000 dual band). does that mean that my router isn't outputting the N signal? in which case there wouldn't be a point to me switching the band to g only. my netbook and my bold 9700 both work on wireless g and have had no drops, just the playbook....i was planning to buy a wireless n adapter so that i could have my netbook and playbook on the 5.4 ghz frequency and conceivably not have wifi interference since most electronics operate on the 2.4 frequency. but i guess now it's not worth it if the playbook has issues with the N band.

also on a sidenote- i read somewhere in this thread that wireless N had shorter range??. which is odd since on the boxes of pretty much all wireless n routers it states that N has a longer range....anyhow, is this why my signal doesn't always show full strength and is almost non-existent if i step out of the house, even though my now deceased wireless g router had almost full bars from 30 feet away from my house?
    11-30-11 05:17 AM
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally fixed my Wifi using this thread for help. It took me ages to getmy settings to change (I had to reset my router as I couldn't log in as admin, then I couldn't find the right settings!). I changed it to WPA2/AES and "mixed G/B only."

It works much better now, the only problem I have found is Nobex Radio is a bit jumpy but at least I can access the internet again!

If anyone has a "D-Link" router and needs help changing the settings, I'm an expert at it now! Just ask! (feeling smug with myself, didn't have to wait until the Mister came home from work to fix it!)
    FF22 likes this.
    11-30-11 06:07 AM
    what a nightmare just had my pb for 3 weeks all fine loving it then did the 10.8 update and lost everything wifi bridge bluetooth, sent email to technical twice they not even had the courtesy of replying I've done a complete wife cleared the lot and tried again still no good just backed everything back up and guess what still nothing this is really doing me in if I cant connect to the internet then how will I update again weirdly it will conect to a hotspot but as blackberry have my card details I'm not sure if I will get charged so I'm not daring to use it everything else in my house works fine IPODS IPHONES XBOX 4 PC's DS just not the playbook does anyone know how to remove the 10.8 update and revert to 10.7
    I've tried everything connecting manually, I've also got the same problem at work even when it worked fine
    please please please anyone got any answers let me know [email protected]
    11-30-11 03:58 PM
    what a nightmare just had my pb for 3 weeks all fine loving it then did the 10.8 update and lost everything wifi bridge bluetooth, sent email to technical twice they not even had the courtesy of replying I've done a complete wife cleared the lot and tried again still no good just backed everything back up and guess what still nothing this is really doing me in if I cant connect to the internet then how will I update again weirdly it will conect to a hotspot but as blackberry have my card details I'm not sure if I will get charged so I'm not daring to use it everything else in my house works fine IPODS IPHONES XBOX 4 PC's DS just not the playbook does anyone know how to remove the 10.8 update and revert to 10.7
    I've tried everything connecting manually, I've also got the same problem at work even when it worked fine
    The only way to get it up in running is to change your router settings.

2 areas we have found that needs changing.

first - change your router from mixed (n/g/b) to mixed b/g (or just g). This connects your PlayBook to the router.

2nd (tricker to find) - in your advanced wireless setting you have to look for something that says standard or basic bit rate. Most are on 11Mpbs but mine was on 1-2Mpbs. Set this to ALL or highest or something along that line. When your router reboots your PlayBook will come back online at 54Mbps
    11-30-11 04:08 PM
    Hope the divorce went well! (I could not help myself)
    11-30-11 04:10 PM
171 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD