why don't Rim use the Qnx name for their os? blackberry 10 sucks
    01-26-12 08:50 AM
    You just might get your wish WHEN BB10 gets released.
    01-26-12 09:10 AM
    Because QNX is the operating system language, it is not the entire package that makes the devices a BlackBerry (i.e. currently they use Jave to write all of the modules that make up a BB OS, under 10 it will be QNX that is used to write all of the modules)
    01-26-12 09:23 AM
    Because QNX is the operating system language, it is not the entire package that makes the devices a BlackBerry (i.e. currently they use Jave to write all of the modules that make up a BB OS, under 10 it will be QNX that is used to write all of the modules)
    QNX is just a name, not the language it is written in..QNX is written in C/C++ and not all of the traditional Blackberry OS is in Java either

I guess they want to continue the "Blackberry" series of operating systems and make a brand that best suits them.
    01-26-12 09:27 AM
    Qnx is already burnt in everyones minds, when i show off my playbook i call the Os ,Qnx.It makes since to keep it that way, plus I thinking that Rim should licsense QNX out ,utilize the strength in numbers approach Google uses,that way developers can see that alot of people use QNX and start making the super apps we want( what if all these oem's that use android had their own Os,blackberry would probably be in second).
    01-26-12 11:02 AM
    Windows is the operating system while HP is the computer name.
    QNX is the platform and Blackberry is the device name.

IMO, they probably want the word "blackberry" in the name.
    While the qnx platform MIGHT equal blackberry, nothing says blackberry like "blackberry".
    01-26-12 11:44 AM
    QNX is the kernel. BB10 is the GUI enviroment.

It'd be like calling "Windows" "DOS"
    TinRobot likes this.
    01-26-12 12:54 PM
    why don't Rim use the Qnx name for their os? blackberry 10 sucks
    QNX is the name of the original O.S, that BB10 and BB Tablet O.S are based on.
    It wouldn't make sense to use that at the name...
    01-26-12 03:16 PM
    I really don't think many people outside tech blogs or forums, know the new OS will be QNX based.

I could see someone asking me what OS I had on my phone and replying QNX would get a blank stare. Blackberry would at least be recognized.
    01-26-12 03:48 PM
    QNX is the kernel. BB10 is the GUI enviroment.

It'd be like calling "Windows" "DOS"
    I understand(kinda)lol. We all know marketing is an issue
    01-26-12 03:49 PM
    I really don't think many people outside tech blogs or forums, know the new OS will be QNX based.

I could see someone asking me what OS I had on my phone and replying QNX would get a blank stare. Blackberry would at least be recognized.
    blackberry has a bad rep right now. it needs a fresh start, the name change doesn't have to be Qnx ,but it has to be an attention grabber. I work around twenty year olds and they think blackberry is old fashion.
    01-26-12 03:58 PM
    The experience is more important than the name. We know they are creating the experience. The names have always changed with #'s. I really don't think rebranding the OS will suddenly make everyone forget OS 5 and OS 6.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-26-12 04:27 PM
    blackberry has a bad rep right now. it needs a fresh start, the name change doesn't have to be Qnx ,but it has to be an attention grabber. I work around twenty year olds and they think blackberry is old fashion.
    It has to be something in the lines of "Superawesomeplaybookipadsuckscrackberrykevinforce othankyouheins O.S"?
    shawnmobile likes this.
    01-26-12 04:28 PM
    I still like BBq - it's HOT!
    shawnmobile likes this.
    01-26-12 04:33 PM
    I still like BBq - it's HOT!
    I still like my idea!
    01-26-12 04:48 PM
    QNX is the name of the kernel. BlackBerry 10 is the kernel + much more. The QNX that runs slot machines, Mars rovers and so on has the same base platform as the QNX that powers your PlayBook, but they're two very different and distinct products. Calling them both QNX would cause QNX (the company) problems when trying to sell it for other uses.

The best way to think of it is that QNX is a key component of BB10. Many OSs use separate names for their kernel. Did you you know that iOS has a separate name for its kernel too? It's called XNU. Why? It's the same kernel that powers Mac OS X, Darwin, etc. Using the same name would just confuse things. Imagine if Apple renamed both iOS and OS X to XNU, you'd be using one name for two completely different things.
    Last edited by taylortbb; 01-26-12 at 08:52 PM.
    shawnmobile likes this.
    01-26-12 08:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD