Hi folks,

Although the new O/S is miles better than the previous version I can't help but feel let down by the native email client:

1) No option to 'delete prior'
    2) Unable to select all messages - well you can but only the ones visible on the screen, not good enough!
    3) When I first setup my messages app, all messages arrived unread - wtf?
    4) General slowness in syncing email even when you manually refresh, clicking on an email takes quite some time to open even though it's stored locally on the playbook - what is that all about?
    5) 3000+ messages show as syncing again even after the sync has finished or I close/reopen the messages app hence consuming my internet data plan!
    6) The lowest sync interval value is 15 mins!
    7) Device reboots are sometimes necessary to get the email client working again as it just stops responding - closing/reopening the app doesn't help!
    8)Clicking on attach bring you to the list of documents, then you click on attach and nothing happens. No confirmation that it has attached to your email so you need to hit cancel and sometimes the file is attached, other times it is not! Poor...
    9) Some conversations show emails from other people inside which have nothing to do with the current one...again wtf?
    10) When you send an email sometimes it doesn't show up in the view, other times it does...again poor!

Seriously RIM...you have been given a year to polish this app and it's nowhere near the push email concept we expect from you! All we get is a type of unreliable Active sync that is terribly buggy! How does this now distinguish RIM between Apple and the others? RIM's strength was true push email...If they don't manage to get true push email working from the NOC to QNX devices, then i'm afraid the future is not looking too bright...there is no way I'd buy a future BB10 device with this type of unreliability...nor will many of the fortune 500s accept this which is the core of RIM's business!
    Last edited by fermanagh; 02-24-12 at 08:27 AM.
    patpatiar and iamlegend2011 like this.
    02-24-12 08:24 AM
    I agree 100 percent. I am very disappointed with the reliability of this email client.
    patpatiar likes this.
    02-24-12 10:09 AM
    I know I most likely going to get flamed on this but here goes>>>>> This native email and contact and calandar are a joke. No way to sync them with BB other than having a gmail account? Really ? as stated in other post , we waited a year for this and this is what we get? May as well just stay bridged , no real benifit to having native email if you have to use a third party app to sync it. I don't have gmail or feel any need to get one, as for outlook I can sync my contact from phone to desktop but not playbook! really? you would have thought that here would have been some way to do it other than loading all my contacts and calendar to gmail. yes I am aware that they run on 2 different operating systems but they have had a year to figure it out . It is no wonder that companies are dropping support for BB and going to apple. My only benefit to having the playbook is the flash and the ability to use it with my BB on the road and not having to worry about a wifi connection . That is something that apple cannot replace at this time.But if they do I would say BB days are numbered.
    02-24-12 10:41 AM
    Hi folks,

Although the new O/S is miles better than the previous version I can't help but feel let down by the native email client:

1) No option to 'delete prior'
    2) Unable to select all messages - well you can but only the ones visible on the screen, not good enough!
    3) When I first setup my messages app, all messages arrived unread - wtf?
    4) General slowness in syncing email even when you manually refresh, clicking on an email takes quite some time to open even though it's stored locally on the playbook - what is that all about?
    5) 3000+ messages show as syncing again even after the sync has finished or I close/reopen the messages app hence consuming my internet data plan!
    6) The lowest sync interval value is 15 mins!
    7) Device reboots are sometimes necessary to get the email client working again as it just stops responding - closing/reopening the app doesn't help!
    8)Clicking on attach bring you to the list of documents, then you click on attach and nothing happens. No confirmation that it has attached to your email so you need to hit cancel and sometimes the file is attached, other times it is not! Poor...
    9) Some conversations show emails from other people inside which have nothing to do with the current one...again wtf?
    10) When you send an email sometimes it doesn't show up in the view, other times it does...again poor!

Seriously RIM...you have been given a year to polish this app and it's nowhere near the push email concept we expect from you! All we get is a type of unreliable Active sync that is terribly buggy! How does this now distinguish RIM between Apple and the others? RIM's strength was true push email...If they don't manage to get true push email working from the NOC to QNX devices, then i'm afraid the future is not looking too bright...there is no way I'd buy a future BB10 device with this type of unreliability...nor will many of the fortune 500s accept this which is the core of RIM's business!
    With the exception of #1 #2 (which doesn't bother me personally' so I never thought about it until reading your post), I have NEVER had one of those problems. Maybe it is your settings? I find the the app great, better than many email apps in fact. I would like to see the right side menu merge with the left to give more screen real estate to the e-mail, but other than that, it is just about perfect, imo.

I didn't like that you couldn't organize the e-mail in folders, but then realized you can if you have folders in your actual e-mail account. Select the email in your inbox and click on the folder icon on the left to select the folder you would like your email in. To look at your e-mail in a specific folder, click the @ icon on the right menu and select the account and then click the folder icon in the corner next to "Mailbox". You will get a list of your folders.
    02-24-12 11:37 AM
    With the exception of #1 #2 (which doesn't bother me personally' so I never thought about it until reading your post), I have NEVER had one of those problems. Maybe it is your settings? I find the the app great, better than many email apps in fact. I would like to see the right side menu merge with the left to give more screen real estate to the e-mail, but other than that, it is just about perfect, imo.
    Same here. Though 1 & 2 are not of great concern to me. I have no interest in managing my e-mail from a tablet. My primary e-mail device will always be a computer, with a mouse, keyboard & Outlook as the client. Though because of this, I understand my needs are different than some - but I'd imagine I'm in the majority.

To me - the PlayBook is really only a view into my e-mail. The current capabilities of the native 2.0 apps exceeds my requirements.
    TinRobot likes this.
    02-24-12 12:22 PM
    I know I most likely going to get flamed on this but here goes>>>>> This native email and contact and calandar are a joke. No way to sync them with BB other than having a gmail account? Really ? as stated in other post , we waited a year for this and this is what we get? May as well just stay bridged , no real benifit to having native email if you have to use a third party app to sync it. I don't have gmail or feel any need to get one, as for outlook I can sync my contact from phone to desktop but not playbook! really? you would have thought that here would have been some way to do it other than loading all my contacts and calendar to gmail. yes I am aware that they run on 2 different operating systems but they have had a year to figure it out . It is no wonder that companies are dropping support for BB and going to apple. My only benefit to having the playbook is the flash and the ability to use it with my BB on the road and not having to worry about a wifi connection . That is something that apple cannot replace at this time.But if they do I would say BB days are numbered.
    Syncing with hotmail/msn/live accounts works flawlessly, perfectly and superbly. Email, Calendar and Contacts. No need for Gmail at all, where the heck did that come from??
    02-24-12 12:24 PM
    What kind of mail server are you connecting to that you are experiencing most of the issues? POP, IMAP, ACTIVESYNC, or WEB (GMAIL, HOTMAIL, etc) ?
    02-24-12 12:25 PM
    Sorry I should have said all the above . I don't have gmail, hotmail or yahoo . Should not have to do that with so called native email and contacts.
    02-24-12 12:26 PM
    Sorry I should have said all the above . I don't have gmail, hotmail or yahoo . Should not have to do that with so called native email and contacts.
    Sorry to say man, if you're using POP/IMAP - that's the nature of the beast (or the shortcomings rather). If you don't use a mail server that stores your contacts/calendar online in that mailbox - don't expect magic. Most other devices work this same way. Ask any iPhone owner, 99% of them have Gmail accounts because of the calendaring/contacts options in the web-based mailbox & how it synchronizes to their iPhone. The PlayBook is no different in this scenario.
    allsportsfan likes this.
    02-24-12 12:35 PM
    I don't think it works via bridge...That's what sucks for me
    02-24-12 12:39 PM
    Collapsed - what kind of account are you using?

If you use WEB (GMAIL/HOTMAIL) or ActiveSync (Exchange Server) these work over the bridge! I disabled my bridge messaging actually, and only use native now when bridged - because of that.

I believe Peter9477 mentioned in another thread that native does not work across the bridge for POP/IMAP type accounts though.
    02-24-12 12:43 PM
    I also have been experiencing some glitchy action with the native client. Receiving emails seems to be hit or miss. I'll receive an email on my BB and my Outlook software - yet it wont ever show up on my PB (or if it does its like 1/2 hr after my other devices get it). I even try constantly refreshing to no avail.

I have returned to my bridge email client for now until some of these bugs get ironed out.
    02-24-12 01:12 PM
    What annoys me is when you click on the notification icon in the top left corner and click on the tab to open your new messages the device switches to the cluent but doesnt show the new messages.

Thus happens if the client is already open

Works as expected if the client needs to be started
    02-24-12 01:14 PM
    maybe I should be more specific. I have a @telus.blackberry.net address and a pop 3 account. I can use the playbook to check te pop 3 but I don't have my contacts there . I have all my contacts on my Torch and the only way to get them from there to playbook is to use gmail, hotmail or yahoo. Which as I stated I dont have. I am able to transfer my contacts and calandar to office outlook but not to playbook. That is the comment I was trying to make . I really don't see why rim is forcing me to have gmail,hotmail or yahoo to do this . It should be done through desktop manager .
    02-24-12 01:15 PM
    I also have been experiencing some glitchy action with the native client. Receiving emails seems to be hit or miss. I'll receive an email on my BB and my Outlook software - yet it wont ever show up on my PB (or if it does its like 1/2 hr after my other devices get it). I even try constantly refreshing to no avail.

I have returned to my bridge email client for now until some of these bugs get ironed out.
    And what are your settings like? PUSH DISABLED/ENABLED? SYNC INTERVAL SETTINGS? What kind of e-mail account are you using? IMAP/POP/WEB/ACTIVESYNC?
    cookie20 likes this.
    02-24-12 01:15 PM
    And what are your settings like? PUSH DISABLED/ENABLED? SYNC INTERVAL SETTINGS? What kind of e-mail account are you using? IMAP/POP/WEB/ACTIVESYNC?
    Push enabled. Sync interval is gray'ed out on manual. Active Sync exchange server
    02-24-12 01:22 PM
    Now it seems that I cant even connect to the server to get anything at all. I get "cant reach the server" errors.
    02-24-12 01:29 PM
    I don't think it works via bridge...That's what sucks for me
    Well it is a wifi tablet. My laptop email doesn't work when I have no wifi either or I am not plugged into the ether net port. Bridge is a plus and not sure how they decide what will or will not work using it.
    02-24-12 01:30 PM
    In response to the non sync of native pb to bb.

I assume if they could have done it - they would have. I am having no problems with sync thru gmail, everything works fine for me. Maybe I dont expect much? I do send and receive apx 500 emails daily, as well as web usage and bbm. So far so good.

What is the issue of gmail? Maybe I am not understanding ?

Anyways - its just not really worth worrying about, is it?
    02-24-12 01:31 PM
    Like the old saying goes: You can't please all of the people all the time.

There are always going to be whiners that can NEVER be pleased - To those people why don't you just sell your PB and buy something that will please you?
    Last edited by buwee; 02-24-12 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Typo
    02-24-12 01:35 PM
    Oh boy.. Really? Some people here are lucky they are even being assisted with their "problems'.
    02-24-12 01:51 PM
    Messages works great over Bridge for me. Google Apps user (gmail).

I understand for those that don't have a free Google Apps or Gmail account it can be expensive...
    02-24-12 02:51 PM
    Sorry to burst your bubble but my points are quite valid ones and all you are doing is defending a half-baked email client! Ever heard of positive criticism?

Buwee & Apengue1 - I'm not a whiner, just a concerned BlackBerry user but I've come to expect that sort of response from the people on this site. I use my BB everyday for business & personal use and I love it. However, I've become more and more concerned with the direction RIM are heading...

I work with BES on a daily basis and have been working with BBs for 5+ years now so I can safely say that I know the product inside out. Active sync is not going to wash with anyone in the corporate world! They need to get push mail working on BB10, that is it!

And once again I say this...RIM have been given a year to polish this new O/S...they have not done so with the native email client. It is buggy, half the time doesn't respond etc etc...just look at my original post which details my issues! My work colleagues have also substantiated my concerns.

On another note, you take the iPad...not once have I seen it lag or not sync my emails...rarely do you see any of these types of bugs! Although it has it"s negatives, you cannot argue that it is an example of a polished product.

Whether you like it or not, RIM are now in the same playing field as Apple and the rest and they will not win...they no longer have the edge with regards to push email and it's only a matter of time before everyone realises that they have no real advantage over the others! It's simple - unless RIM can get true push email from the NOC working on their BB10 devices they do not have a future!
    02-24-12 03:49 PM
    I think you are wrong. The best selling devices on the market, as well as those being transferred into the corporate world, do not use NOC. I do not think it is half baked, and it works very well for me. If you have a problem on your end, fix it. It's all in the settings, because it works well for pretty much everyone.
    02-24-12 04:37 PM
    I think you are wrong. The best selling devices on the market, as well as those being transferred into the corporate world, do not use NOC. I do not think it is half baked, and it works very well for me. If you have a problem on your end, fix it. It's all in the settings, because it works well for pretty much everyone.
    I have to disagree with you. I see a lot of people who use imap and pop accounts saying they are having no issues. I see a fair amount of people who use exchange having issues (including myself). Ive tried every possible server domain including web access - on my work and home wifi - deleted and rebuilt the account dozens of times and i still cant get anywhere near the email reliability of my 9930. I really like the majority of 2.0 but this email client glitch-i-ness has me scratching my head.
    dwrobel likes this.
    02-24-12 04:49 PM
90 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD