ok boys and girls - Q1 2013 is but weeks away - just that pesky Christmas thing to get through.

Some say Christmas will come Q1 - in the meantime though will the powers to be release a Beta of BB10 to us?

Based on the unofficial average of roughly 45 days from Beta to GA could we look to get a Beta version from say End November onwards?????
    11-07-12 09:04 AM
    Nope. Please see any of the other 50 threads regarding this exact same topic...
    11-07-12 09:16 AM
    Yes, we could.

@BlackBerryDev announced that the beta will release ahead of schedule. For all we know, that can be tomorrow, since we were never informed what the original date was. I'm doing the conservative thing and expect it to drop right along with phones.

A safe option would be a stripped down beta (featureless, barely usable) to put the core OS and gestures to test. It would not be suited for day-to-day use at all, but could be released prior to the actual phone release, and we'd see another beta, with almost all features once the phones hit.

One thing is certain though, it will happen.
    BerryClever and bluetroll like this.
    11-07-12 09:19 AM
    It could come any time, but one thing I learned pretty quickly since jumping aboard RIM products... predicting a date or set of dates just causes turmoil and false hopes. We are in an instant gratification world, and RIM is in a slow and steady world.
    11-07-12 03:42 PM
    My educated guess is at #BB10 launch, we will have the PB version beta ready to get loaded on our beloved 7 inches
    11-07-12 05:24 PM
    cool - so Beta out sometime December then???
    11-13-12 04:41 AM
    Yes, we could.

@BlackBerryDev announced that the beta will release ahead of schedule. For all we know, that can be tomorrow, since we were never informed what the original date was. I'm doing the conservative thing and expect it to drop right along with phones.

A safe option would be a stripped down beta (featureless, barely usable) to put the core OS and gestures to test. It would not be suited for day-to-day use at all, but could be released prior to the actual phone release, and we'd see another beta, with almost all features once the phones hit.

One thing is certain though, it will happen.
    A bb10 beta for playbook???
    11-13-12 01:35 PM
    cool - so Beta out sometime December then???
    Sorry, just not going to happen. Maybe by March, if we're really lucky.
    11-13-12 05:24 PM
    Sorry, just not going to happen. Maybe by March, if we're really lucky.
    What makes you say so? BlackBerryDev has posted on Twitter that the developer beta version for PB will be out earlier to launch...
    11-14-12 10:18 AM
    What makes you say so? BlackBerryDev has posted on Twitter that the developer beta version for PB will be out earlier to launch...
    Link please? I'd like to see exactly what they said before making any comment regarding it.
    11-14-12 10:58 AM
    Never, even final BB10
    11-14-12 11:34 AM
    They didn't say launch of what. I suspect they meant before launch of bb10 for the playbook. I can't see RIM dedicating resource that could be supporting carrier testing and fixing last minute bugs, on a beta release that could create negative press for bb10 and give away more features before end of January.

Gordon
    11-14-12 01:16 PM
    Probably a week or two after the first BB10 handsets hit the market
    #JustAWildGuess
    11-14-12 02:24 PM
    I believe that tweet has been widely misinterpreted. It referred to launch, but not which launch. It's my belief that it meant simply that yes, there WILL be a beta of BB10 on the PlayBook (to refute those who may claim there will not be), and it would be before launch of BB10 on the PlayBook.

If it really meant before launch of the phones, well, that's exceptionally good news, but it contradicts everything else that I've heard at and since Jam Americas. For now, I still think it's not something to expect before March at the earliest.
    Qaxl, SifJar, Thunderbuck and 1 others like this.
    11-14-12 05:25 PM
    I'm afraid you're right, but I hope you ain't.
    peter9477 likes this.
    11-14-12 05:31 PM
    Quite sure it refered to the beta's launch... which we never got to know what the original date was.

So, we know it will come, and that whatever day it comes will actually be sooner than originally planned.

That is good on my book.
    11-14-12 08:04 PM
    the stripped down version of BB10 on PB MAY come out in December sometime. Probably sometime after the BB10 SDK is out.

Here's my reasoning: They need developers who don't have a Dev Alpha to be able to test their updated PB OS apps on BB10.
    Just Me likes this.
    11-16-12 01:18 PM
    I think Peter is right... no way they'll do a beta of BB10 on the PlayBook before BB10 launch. First it takes resources away from fixing/polishing BB10 and secondly why would they want to steal any thunder they might get from the reviews of BB10. I doubt we'll see it before March.
    11-16-12 04:11 PM
    How much are people going to be willing to pay for the BB10 OS? Or do you think BlackBerry should give it away for the PB?
    11-16-12 05:18 PM
    I think Peter is right... no way they'll do a beta of BB10 on the PlayBook before BB10 launch. First it takes resources away from fixing/polishing BB10 and secondly why would they want to steal any thunder they might get from the reviews of BB10. I doubt we'll see it before March.

Peter is absolutely right. For anyone to read that tweet and think a PlayBook bb10 beta would launch before the phones has to be the most wishfully wishful thinking person from I wish land lol.

To me it says a beta for BlackBerry10 will launch ahead of the official BlackBerry10 for PlayBook which could be ...God knows when
    We do know its not coming until after a phome launch so at earliest March but that's not even likely, although they said they are ahead of schedule...maybe March
    11-16-12 08:21 PM

Peter is absolutely right. For anyone to read that tweet and think a PlayBook bb10 beta would launch before the phones has to be the most wishfully wishful thinking person from I wish land lol.

To me it says a beta for BlackBerry10 will launch ahead of the official BlackBerry10 for PlayBook which could be ...God knows when
    We do know its not coming until after a phome launch so at earliest March but that's not even likely, although they said they are ahead of schedule...maybe March
    Peter is probably right yeah. But the reason BB10 was postponed to Q1 2013 was exactly so they could add all the features and clean out the bugs. Heins said so in the engadget interview. So, while a December beta release is unlikely, it is possible.

RIM is taking the time to change the icons. If a company has time to be pested about such small things, don't you think the bulk of the OS isn't gold already? I believe the only reason not to set this beta loose is so they don't take away any thunder from the official release.
    11-20-12 12:09 PM
    How much are people going to be willing to pay for the BB10 OS? Or do you think BlackBerry should give it away for the PB?
    Are you kidding? Since when has RIM ever charge for an OS? You been smokin' something laced with something or what?
    01-06-13 02:27 PM
    I wouldn't expect a lot from a BB10 beta on the Playbook, btw. No UI changes, likely no new real functionality (I SERIOUSLY doubt native BBM would make it). They'd have the Cascades libraries on board for developers who want to test apps against them, but there wouldn't be much else otherwise.
    01-06-13 02:52 PM
    I wouldn't expect a lot from a BB10 beta on the Playbook, btw. No UI changes, likely no new real functionality (I SERIOUSLY doubt native BBM would make it). They'd have the Cascades libraries on board for developers who want to test apps against them, but there wouldn't be much else otherwise.
    Always a good idea to keep our expectations down with that sort of thing. I do expect though, that after BB10 launches on the phones, they won't be quite so reticent to give us most of the system apps.

We've got this Invocation Framework and third-party apps will often (on BB10 phones) be integrated with the system ones through that mechanism. Based on that, I think it's a near certainty that at least the final betas of BB10 on the PlayBook would have most if not all the system apps present, and even the earliest beta would probably have more of them than we've seen so far on the Dev Alphas. (I'm thinking Adobe Reader, the basic PIM apps and Hub, basic media apps, and such.)

Maybe after Jan 30 someone will be willing to share a better idea on what to expect.
    Sansu94 likes this.
    01-06-13 03:56 PM
    Always a good idea to keep our expectations down with that sort of thing. I do expect though, that after BB10 launches on the phones, they won't be quite so reticent to give us most of the system apps.

We've got this Invocation Framework and third-party apps will often (on BB10 phones) be integrated with the system ones through that mechanism. Based on that, I think it's a near certainty that at least the final betas of BB10 on the PlayBook would have most if not all the system apps present, and even the earliest beta would probably have more of them than we've seen so far on the Dev Alphas. (I'm thinking Adobe Reader, the basic PIM apps and Hub, basic media apps, and such.)

Maybe after Jan 30 someone will be willing to share a better idea on what to expect.
    I would love it if you're right, Peter. Let's put it this way, I'd rather be pessimistic and be pleasantly surprised than be optimistic and disappointed
    peter9477 and Sansu94 like this.
    01-06-13 04:02 PM
26 12