Does anyone know when Active Sync will come to the desktop for the PlayBook?

It is difficult to understand why I can sync my phone directly from my desktop app Outlook to my phone via Desktop Manager but not the PlayBook.

I have searched tons of other forums and know that this is a wide spread frustration. With all of the request for this function you would think this would be an item of immediate attention. If you are going to try to explain it away as some sort of function of BlackBerry Balance, then you are condemning all non Enterprise users when the BB10 phones arrive as the BB10 phones will no longer directly sync to a desktop version of Outlook either, and that will be a sever loss.

One of the greatest attractions to the BlackBerry platform is its security and privacy. The ability for the BlackBerry phone to sync to a personal computer running Outlook (or other form such as a csv file) without some connection to a cloud server is highly desirable as noted in all related forums.

With the addition of encryption to PlayBook OS 2.1 I see no reason to consider private syncing to a desktop to be a security risk, plus that BlackBerry Balance separates private apps and data from corporate apps and data.

If this function were to be added to the PlayBook it would be a major win for RIM as other tablet platforms do not sync contact or calendar data without a cloud service.

The recent loss of Yahoo Contacts after the update of 2.1, and no fix for it inspired me to post this thread.
    10-12-12 03:52 PM
    I don't have an answer for you but am very frustrated by this inability as I don't do work arounds and am very confused as to why this is not possible from the company who pioneered this feature...... I don't get it!!!!!!!! Is RIM even listening or care that this is not a working part of the PB?????
    10-14-12 11:47 AM
    Install the hotmail connector into outlook. Then you can sync your contacts with your hotmail account on the PC and the Blackberry
    10-15-12 04:59 AM
    Install the hotmail connector into outlook. Then you can sync your contacts with your hotmail account on the PC and the Blackberry
    Sorry but this is a horrible and completely defeating the purpose, non solution. Hot Mail is the worst and most stolen web based email.

The goal is private, secure and cloudless direct synching from the desktop to the Playbook.

Hot Mail is not private, secure and never will be.
    10-15-12 11:43 PM
    There seems to be no explanation from RIM as to why this does not work with their PB but does with their phones. Maybe at this rate if it was a gaming app it would be there.....
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    10-16-12 12:37 AM
    It's a major issue for me as well, and one of the main reasons this tablet has not seen much use for me beyond desk clock and mobile browser.

RIM is not the only one going down this path though, Windows Phone devices will not sync directly to Outlook either, which seems utterly hairbrained. At least I can see the logic from Microsoft's position as they WANT you to use their cloud service; but RIM is basically saying you have to route all your sensitive data through a third-party cloud service in order to use our tablet. Hopefully BB10 doesn't have the same limitation, otherwise iPhone will be pretty much the only choice for direct USB sync to Outlook.
    10-16-12 04:06 PM
    Yes, Microsoft's move to their cloud service is why this household is no longer on Windows phones and came to BlackBerry.

We were using Active Sync for Windows and heard a lot of horror stories about it but we had never experienced the problems others had. That's why we were shocked to be told we had to have a weak and insecure Hot Mail account to continue with Windows Mobile. We were bluetooth syncing with Active Sync and never had a problem.

When we first set up our BlackBerry phones the first time and synced directly to Outlook we thought we were in heaven and then to experience BBM...WOW!

My son loves his iPhone 4 not because he thinks its cool tech but because its so insecure, weak and hackable. He has it jailbroken, rooted and spoofed so that Apple doesn't have a clue that it is.

We have been hoping for that same desktop sync experience on the PlayBook...and seem to be still waiting...
    10-16-12 11:44 PM
    I am willing to bet money that if we do see this feature it won't be until BB10 lauches. There's also no way to confirm if this feature will be added come BB10, but there have been sightings of a new Desktop Management software called Blackberry Link. Hopefully, PIM syncing will come with the new Link software. And I hope that Link works via-cloud...no more connecting PC and loading DM to sync.
    10-20-12 02:42 PM
    And I hope that Link works via-cloud...no more connecting PC and loading DM to sync.
    I don't understand your statement or you don't understand this thread. You already have multiple and risky cloud options that trust the vetting process of some human resource office in Hot Mail, Outlook.com, Yahoo, Google, etc. The only secure PIM sync is to your corporate BES/Exchange server or even more secure your own private desktop PC.

Only the things you are willing to be eventually compromised should you trust to a cloud service. Cloud services need to be narrowly defined as an extension or replacement to a corporate data center for costs reasons not for wholesale consumer use and trust. Its a lot easier to track the usage and access corporate employees on controlled access points on a cloud for the sake of keeping a cloud uncompromised, than millions of accounts from millions of uncontrolled access points like Google or Yahoo.
    10-21-12 01:23 AM