So, RIM recently pulled the update, and a lot of people on the forums have been expressing hate towards 2.0.1.668. I don't understand though, everything works fine for me, what are the problems you guys are facing?

Why has RIM pulled the update?

Should I also restore back to 2.0.1.358?

(BTW I do have the 2.0.1.668 debrick image that I can CFP at anytime).

I also noticed that the build date for .668 was June 12, which means they must have had plenty of time to test it on the WiFi PlayBook right? Might someone had accidentally released .668?
    08-04-12 07:31 PM
    Everything works great for me so far. I did notice that the portrait mode has disappeared in the email.
    08-04-12 07:37 PM
    My playbook is a lot snappier and the wifi seems to be more responsive. If it is working for you then stay at .668
    08-04-12 07:48 PM
    Good question esp when the security vulnerability found in the flash player says to update to .668.
    08-04-12 07:56 PM
    Battery is actually better for me, even though battery guru is showing a bit more usage.
    08-04-12 08:02 PM
    It's working great for me, so if someone accidentally released it........ I'm keeping it!
    08-04-12 08:22 PM
    Working great for me also.....I'm going to keep it (.668) until the next update unless something goes drastically wrong between now and then
    08-04-12 08:27 PM
    It's been good for me also. Fixed my duplicate folders in email. Battery life is about the same, took it off the charger at 2:30 and have been using it quite a bit, went out to dinner and have been using it steady since I got back home. It is now 8:26 and I have 44% left. I took my Acase off to see if it felt hot, nope.

Edit: almost constant use it is now 10:33 and 21% left. This is better than I got before .668.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 08-04-12 at 10:34 PM.
    08-04-12 08:27 PM
    So, RIM recently pulled the update, and a lot of people on the forums have been expressing hate towards 2.0.1.668. I don't understand though, everything works fine for me, what are the problems you guys are facing?

Why has RIM pulled the update?
    I'm sure RIM knows, but they aren't saying.

There's several reports about abnormally rapid power drain resulting in a PB that becomes very hot to the touch. Whatever the cause, to pull the update after 1 day shows it wasn't seen as a minor issue.

Should I also restore back to 2.0.1.358?
    668 seems to work for some so, unless yours has started to run hot, there is no point in removing it IMO.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 08-05-12 at 03:11 AM.
    08-05-12 03:08 AM
    Mine is running fine with 668 but i am going back just in case. I cant have this starting to have problems when i am on the road as i will be away for a few days.

What were they thinking when they released this.
    08-05-12 05:29 AM
    So this time I turn off my playbook instead of standby. That fix the battery drainage. Still a pain to start the tablet. But I am staying with this update. A minor thing happened when I turn off my tablet. It turn back on by itself a few minutes later. So I have to turn it off again.
    08-05-12 06:06 AM
    What were they thinking when they released this.
    Yes, it's certainly embarrassing and it's not like RIM needs more bad news like this given their current troubles.

It's OK tho', I notice it's apparently not newsworthy enough to warrant an update to the CrackBerry front-page puff-piece announcing the availability of 668.

To be fair to RIM, whilst I'm sure they tested it thoroughly, any device as configurable as the Playbook will undoubtedly present corner-cases in individual setup that cause bad things to happen for some PB users. Though it has to be said that any issue serious enough to cause the update to be pulled within the day doesn't inspire confidence in the depth of the testing that was performed.

Nice fish by the way...
    Last edited by JeepBB; 08-05-12 at 06:47 AM.
    andy957 likes this.
    08-05-12 06:41 AM
    I have had no problems. Seems that my email issues(trouble connecting after switching wifi networks) is better.

Sent from.....the future.
    08-05-12 06:48 AM
    Has anyone had issues with adding appointments with attendees to the calendar since the maintenance update? I have issues with syncing to Google calendar and when i try to delete the appointment from the playbook, it refuses to delete. I have hard reset, deleted information out of the fields etc, all to no avail.
    08-05-12 07:42 AM
    I just add new event via bridge calendar, all is fine.
    My .668 gives no problem at all to my knowledge, yet I didn't see any significant improvement from previous version.
    08-05-12 08:38 AM
    For me the .668 update fails because, since installing it, my playbook will only load a book from my Kobo library when connected to the internet. Which makes it pretty much useless as an e-reader at the moment. Unless I decide what I want to read before I leave the house.

Does anyone know how to revert to the previous OS (bearing in mind that my desktop machine is a mac)?
    08-05-12 08:57 AM
    I've read that hooking up to dm will downgrade, should be the same on a mac. I haven't heard if you do if you lose everything though.
    08-05-12 09:06 AM
    been working fine for me so far...
    08-05-12 09:14 AM
    Speculation why RIM pulled the update:

All the ******** and whining on Crackberry.com about RIM not releasing OS 2.1 pissed them off. (Picture Soup Nazi: No OS updates for you!)

Or

668 was only supposed to fix the security vulnerability in Flash. And everything we are experiencing is a placebo. Engineers at RIM are scratching their heads...they are trying to reverse engineer the placebo effect for stronger wireless signal and fix app lag issues. Then they can implement same placebo magic into Blackberry 10.
    Tim1131 and Jawnie5 like this.
    08-05-12 11:03 AM
    My wifi dropped like crazy on my PlayBook yesterday. Battery has been draining way faster then usual. Hope a fix comes sooon. Love my PlayBook!
    08-06-12 12:52 AM
    Thanks kbz1960.

Certainly it's possible to get the DM to offer a 'restore to original' (I've forgotten the exact phrase) facility, but that wipes all the data/media/settings. Although it should be possible to restore most of that using the synch facility my natural pessimism makes me want to avoid that unless it becomes the only option!
    savestheday611 likes this.
    08-06-12 04:38 AM
    Use dingleberry to downgrade to 358
    08-06-12 05:57 AM
    Since my earlier posting I've been trying different things with the Kobo app itself and found a workround that is a bit tedious but does the job. I will include it here in case others may find it useful.

The sequence is as follows:

1 Start the Kobo app. Normally it should open at whatever page one was last reading. Under .668 the bookmark shows but instead of text there is a continually spinning wheel. None of the options in the top bar are operational.

2. Swipe down to get rid of the menu.

3. Swipe down to reveal menu. This time the options work, but the book still doesn't load to the screen automatically.

4. Choose library and select the book you want. It will open at the bookmarked page.

5. Marvel at the perversity of inanimate objects.

It would be good to think that Kobo would provide an update to match the most recent iteration of the OS. Or that BB would patch the OS to match the Kobo app. Perhaps they could talk to one another?
    08-06-12 06:13 AM
    Anyone try the 3 button restart? Some say doing that a couple times fixed their issue.
    08-06-12 06:56 AM

It would be good to think that Kobo would provide an update to match the most recent iteration of the OS. Or that BB would patch the OS to match the Kobo app. Perhaps they could talk to one another?
    I have asked and received a reply from the muppets at Kobo.
    They have no plans for updating the Kobo app, even though Android just received one and iOS isnt far away.
    Wouldnt count on it.
    08-06-12 07:05 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD