So being pretty ignorant about how the Operating systems work in smartphones, I would like to know what QNX will bring to BlackBerry Operating System? How will it change it?
    Personally, the 2 things I would like to see changed are; 1. A snappier web browser, and 2. the platform being more app developer friendly. Would a QNX based OS achieve these things?
    Last edited by berryaddictnoza; 04-03-11 at 10:23 PM.
    04-03-11 10:16 PM
    Yeah both of those things will be addressed. Lots of threads about QNX. Just give it a search and you will find all sorts of good stuff!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-11 10:50 PM
    Yeah, Iv'e read it's "better", but how? is QNX a more streamlined, simplified build?
    04-03-11 10:54 PM
    What would QNX do for any mobile computing company? Is there a better OS on the market? Does RIM lack the capital to maximize the best software available? I think it positions RIM in first place across the board within the next three years. Apple and the various android manufacturers will be playing catch up in a year or two.
    04-03-11 10:59 PM
    So being pretty ignorant about how the Operating systems work in smartphones, I would like to know what QNX will bring to BlackBerry Operating System? How will it change it?
    Personally, the 2 things I would like to see changed are; 1. A snappier web browser, and 2. the platform being more app developer friendly. Would a QNX based OS achieve these things?
    1 - I think you're going to see a significantly improved browser in the 6.1 phones coming out in a few months. That should only get better on QNX-based phones further down the road.

2 - One of the biggest selling points of QNX on the PlayBook is its developer-friendliness. Not being a mobile developer myself, I can only go by what I'm hearing; but what I'm hearing is that it's as easy to develop for as any other environment. RIM has also announced that Android apps can be easily ported to QNX on the PlayBook; that in itself will be huge if it's applicable to QNX phones as well.
    04-04-11 07:06 AM
    Moved thread to BB Tablet OS
    berryaddictnoza likes this.
    04-04-11 10:09 AM
    Thanks for the move. some good info in this forum about QNX (don't know why some of these didn't show up in the search option when I originally posted). QNX sounds like a good match for BB, but I would assume it would be very demanding of CPU, memory and battery life.
    I would love it if someone could explain how QNX works in layman's terms.
    04-04-11 10:39 PM
    Thanks for the move. some good info in this forum about QNX (don't know why some of these didn't show up in the search option when I originally posted). QNX sounds like a good match for BB, but I would assume it would be very demanding of CPU, memory and battery life.
    I would love it if someone could explain how QNX works in layman's terms.
    Basically QNX is a huge company that designs user interfaces/operating systems for people such as the U.S. Navy and other large companies. QNX was able to create a smooth user interface/operating system that operates well with the Playbook's 1GHz dual-core processor. Meaning that it will make multi-tasking a lot easier, and the device as a whole will be quick and easy to operate. The dual core processor is able to partition certain utilities and applications so that you're getting no lag and can run multiple applications.
    04-07-11 10:54 PM
    I've never had a blackberry phone or tablet. I've never had a tablet of any kind. The only smart phone I've had has been an iPhone 3g. Right now I have 99 apps.

What's the limiting factors for the number of apps you can have on the QNX OS of the Playbook? Can you install 99 or 100+ apps without taking away from available RAM?

When QNX is used in the new blackberry phones will we be able to install more apps without it affecting RAM?

05-16-11 05:27 PM
    I've never had a blackberry phone or tablet. I've never had a tablet of any kind. The only smart phone I've had has been an iPhone 3g. Right now I have 99 apps.

What's the limiting factors for the number of apps you can have on the QNX OS of the Playbook? Can you install 99 or 100+ apps without taking away from available RAM?

When QNX is used in the new blackberry phones will we be able to install more apps without it affecting RAM?

The limit you have is not ram but os. There is limited amount of pages, therefore limited amount of apps. The second question makes no sense. Ram is apps running at a given time memory, not how many are installed
    05-30-11 10:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD