Would I risk a "if you sideload [unknown sources] you can't really know what's going to append next" ?
    Oh no ! This would be a very grumpy advice and a proof of my antic age.
    I am fairly sure I have had this issue of repeating notifications due to Android apps installed from the App World. Side loading has nothing to do with it.

EDIT: For the record, I have had no problems due to side loading, although that may be in part due to me knowing a bit about Android and being able to properly remove all traces of any trouble some apps.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-13-12 01:46 PM
    I fixed my notifications by installing ghost commander from app world, then in the left pane chose apps, then found the downloads app, then chose "shortcuts" tapped the shortcut that appeared, launching the downloads app. From there I deleted the failed downloads and the notifications have stopped now. No need to uninstall any apps, unless they keep retrying the downloads even after deleting them manually.
    thx a zillion ! ...these notifications almost got into my nightmares !
    06-08-12 02:45 AM
    Yep, had this issue a while ago on 2.0 beta. The other way is to sideload any android launcher, then reach the downloads system app and delete all contents.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk 2
    06-08-12 05:54 PM
    Yep, had this issue a while ago on 2.0 beta. The other way is to sideload any android launcher, then reach the downloads system app and delete all contents.

Pretty much the same thing, but installing a Launcher gives an irritating prompt every time you launch any Android app asking which launcher to use. Using Ghost Commander does not.
    06-09-12 06:53 AM
    Agree.

06-09-12 06:56 AM
    I hope I didn't double my comment. Thank you for post. The quick app manager suggestion solved the tubemate download complete notification problem I was having.
    12-02-12 06:35 AM
    thanks for this post. I had the same issue and now have it fixed.
    12-02-12 01:01 PM
    This forum has just helped me to get rid of a notification of a pdf that I deleted but kept appearing. Thank you.
    01-04-13 05:50 PM
    Any way to get into the android downloads file without Ghost Commander or similar? I had to delete GC because it was crashing on opening and now I'm in a location that doesn't support app world. The constant notification (always pops up when a different wifi connection is made) is really driving me nutz.

Or anyone can give me a path so I can use Files And Folders?
    01-12-13 01:29 PM
    You should be able to do it using ES File Explorer.
    01-12-13 02:12 PM
    Any way to get into the android downloads file without Ghost Commander or similar? I had to delete GC because it was crashing on opening and now I'm in a location that doesn't support app world. The constant notification (always pops up when a different wifi connection is made) is really driving me nutz.

Or anyone can give me a path so I can use Files And Folders?
    Files and Folders won't work, has to be an Android app that can launch other Android apps. There are others, but the easiest way to install any of them is app world. Are you able to sideload? If so, sideload this: EZ Launcher for Playbook - Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android APP Store - Playbook App Market ; it should let you launch the "Downloads" app and remove the bad download. Afterwards you can delete the launcher (otherwise you will get an annoying prompt every time you run any Android app).

pacoman03: I don't seem to be able to access the Downloads app via ES File Manager's "App Manager" function, if that's what you're referring to? I can only see apps that have been installed, not the default apps such as Downloads or Browser.
    01-12-13 02:13 PM
    You should be able to do it using ES File Explorer.
    Don't have it, can't get it either. I'll keep this on mind when I get to a different location. Thanks.
    01-12-13 02:16 PM
    Files and Folders won't work, has to be an Android app that can launch other Android apps. There are others, but the easiest way to install any of them is app world. Are you able to sideload? If so, sideload this: EZ Launcher for Playbook - Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android APP Store - Playbook App Market ; it should let you launch the "Downloads" app and remove the bad download. Afterwards you can delete the launcher (otherwise you will get an annoying prompt every time you run any Android app).

pacoman03: I don't seem to be able to access the Downloads app via ES File Manager's "App Manager" function, if that's what you're referring to? I can only see apps that have been installed, not the default apps such as Downloads or Browser.
    Too dumb to sideload, and no personal pc to work with. I'll just reinstall GC when I can and try that. Thank you anyway.
    01-12-13 02:18 PM

In ES, after you open the App manager, tap on the "Category" button on the toolbar. Then select "System apps". Downloads will then show.
    Attached Thumbnails Weird Android notification every couple hours on my Playbook-img_20120969.jpg   Weird Android notification every couple hours on my Playbook-img_20120970.jpg  
    ismael280373 likes this.
    01-12-13 02:49 PM
    In ES, after you open the App manager, tap on the "Category" button on the toolbar. Then select "System apps". Downloads will then show.
    Ah, thanks. Didn't notice that button.

Beakman: ES is an easier solution in this case than EZ Launcher, but both need to be sideloaded.
    01-12-13 03:32 PM
    Thanks so much for this that notification was annoying constantly popping up
    01-21-13 03:40 PM
    GC & QAM downloaded and Bingo! done. thank you all.
    02-07-13 08:01 AM
    THANK YOU x 1E6!!!! My heart sank when I saw another poster had to do a security wipe. I had Ghost Commander but had no idea what it could do. Followed your instructions and worked like a charm. Peace and quiet on my beloved Playbook once again. :-)
    02-10-13 09:09 AM
    Thank you - very helpful post - I had been getting this for a while, but hopefully the PB will be a bit calmer now!
    02-13-13 07:37 AM
    Thanx, it saved me countless headaches. Now my notification is clear and for the future it would be cleared if it happens again. Ghost Commander works 100% for this. No hassle.
    02-20-13 01:35 AM
    Thanks for this, I've had a problem with an Android notification for over a month and thought I could never get rid of it. Ghost Commerder worked perfectly.
    03-17-13 07:04 PM
    I'm glad I found this solution which works very well. Now all those annoying notifications are gone completely.

Thanks.

I fixed my notifications by installing ghost commander from app world, then in the left pane chose apps, then found the downloads app, then chose "shortcuts" tapped the shortcut that appeared, launching the downloads app. From there I deleted the failed downloads and the notifications have stopped now. No need to uninstall any apps, unless they keep retrying the downloads even after deleting them manually.

EDIT: A slightly easier method: Get "Quick App Manager" from the App World, run it and it should show icons for all Android apps. Tap "Downloads" (icon is a green square with a white downward arrow) and then "Open". From there delete the failed downloads.

Less taps required to get to the Downloads app this way than via Ghost Commander, but that's the only difference. Ghost Commander is still a more useful tool overall IMO, especially now that it is optimised for PB usage.
    04-30-13 12:26 PM

EDIT: A slightly easier method: Get "Quick App Manager" from the App World, run it and it should show icons for all Android apps. Tap "Downloads" (icon is a green square with a white downward arrow) and then "Open". From there delete the failed downloads.

Less taps required to get to the Downloads app this way than via Ghost Commander, but that's the only difference. Ghost Commander is still a more useful tool overall IMO, especially now that it is optimised for PB usage.
    Excellent post helped me out allot thank you...
    04-30-13 01:46 PM
    I know this is an old post; however, I just had to say that this saved my sanity! The Quick App Manager worked like a charm.
    04-06-15 08:56 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD