Just looked at the Blog article related to the VNC / QNX terminal client that could appear in cars.

http://crackberry.com/realvnc-and-qn...berry-your-car

If this was ported to the PB, would other smartphones have the same connectivity as BB devices are being advertised as having?

Imagine the interest if every consumer with a smart phone could tether, or read Their emails / SMS etc wirelessly on the PB.

Is it just me or would that be huge for RIM?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by stevejb; 11-01-10 at 12:32 PM.
    10-28-10 05:11 PM
    Not to rain on your parade but why would I want to carry 2 devices that do the same thing?
    10-28-10 05:20 PM
    Not to rain on your parade but why would I want to carry 2 devices that do the same thing?
    I for one am looking forward to having my BB connected to the PB for my emails, SMS, BBM, vid conferencing, phone calls + more on a larger very mobile form factor for one data cost.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this and think my parade would be rather sizable with a good following, marching bands, fireworks and dancers. It would take more than
    a drop of rain to stop it. ;-)

10-28-10 05:30 PM
    I for one am looking forward to having my BB connected to the PB for my emails, SMS, BBM, vid conferencing, phone calls + more on a larger very mobile form factor for one data cost.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this and think my parade would be rather sizable with a good following, marching bands, fireworks and dancers. It would take more than
    a drop of rain to stop it. ;-)

Maybe my assumption is wrong, but I thought the PB was going to have all of those features and the data would come from tethering to a BB.

So thats why I asked why would you want to carry 2 devices that do the same thing (a PB and an iPhone that you connect to a PB for example) if you already have email, sms, bbm, etc on the PB.

Am I wrong in assuming that the PB will have all of these features?
    10-28-10 05:33 PM
    Maybe my assumption is wrong, but I thought the PB was going to have all of those features and the data would come from tethering to a BB.

So thats why I asked why would you want to carry 2 devices that do the same thing (a PB and an iPhone that you connect to a PB for example) if you already have email, sms, bbm, etc on the PB.

Am I wrong in assuming that the PB will have all of these features?
    My understanding is that the PB will use the BB data, but will display the content which
    the device receives. Otherwise using your point, why have the PB if you have a BlackBerry?

It is the BB amplified onto a bigger screen. I think this would appreciated by an iPhone user also, it could remove the want of a second device (such as iPad ) with it's own data cost that receives the email that the iPhone also receives.

10-28-10 05:42 PM
    the device receives. Otherwise using your point, why have the PB if you have a BlackBerry?
    Because the PB should pick up where the BB left off. The PB will have much for media content than you could ever have on a 3" BB screen.

I could have movies, music, ebooks, pictures, etc, stored on my PB and not need a data connection. When I have my PB and BB I can use the data from the BB and get my email/sms/bbm on the bigger screen.

Does that make sense? Just my opinion...
    10-28-10 06:02 PM
    Because the PB should pick up where the BB left off. The PB will have much for media content than you could ever have on a 3" BB screen.

I could have movies, music, ebooks, pictures, etc, stored on my PB and not need a data connection. When I have my PB and BB I can use the data from the BB and get my email/sms/bbm on the bigger screen.

Does that make sense? Just my opinion...
    Yep that makes sense. It also sounds like we're sort of agreeing with each other lol.

The PB does pick up from the BB but replace BB with 'anyothersmartphone' and you get to where I'm coming from.

10-28-10 06:11 PM
    Why the **** would RIM make the PB compatible with it's competition? They may be dumb but they ain't STUPID!
    10-28-10 06:12 PM
    Why the **** would RIM make the PB compatible with it's competition? They may be dumb but they ain't STUPID!
    I would say for the PlayBook to be competitive it needs to connect to more than a BlackBerry device or WiFi.

Would it be reasonable to think that they could out sell the likes of the iPad or Galaxy Tab by only attracting BlackBerry users?

Irrespective of which Smartphone I use, I'd jump at the chance to have a tab that can tether and not require a second data connection. In fact I'm fairly sure there are a good amount of ipads / iphones which are jailbroken just for that reason.

Last edited by stevejb; 10-28-10 at 06:33 PM.
    10-28-10 06:26 PM
    10-28-10 06:57 PM
    And this neatly brings us back to my original post ;-)

10-28-10 06:59 PM
    RIM can benefit from releasing the PB that only connects to a BB and also benefit from allowing it to connect to any mobile phone. If it only connects to a BB, then RIM can probably expect their BB phone sales to increase as people will occasionally need data on the PB when no WiFi is around and will need to purchase a BB as their phone. OR, if they allow it to connect to any mobile device, they can expect to sell more PBs to consumers who own iPhones, WinMo, or Android devices but want a productivity device.

Either way, I think RIM wins. JMO, of course.
    10-30-10 08:16 AM
    RIM can benefit from releasing the PB that only connects to a BB and also benefit from allowing it to connect to any mobile phone. If it only connects to a BB, then RIM can probably expect their BB phone sales to increase as people will occasionally need data on the PB when no WiFi is around and will need to purchase a BB as their phone. OR, if they allow it to connect to any mobile device, they can expect to sell more PBs to consumers who own iPhones, WinMo, or Android devices but want a productivity device.

Either way, I think RIM wins. JMO, of course.
    Yep, i think that allowing it to connect to any phone is the winner, as people locked into contracts for x months will have an option for a tab to have the single data connection.
    10-30-10 09:39 AM
    Other phones, such as some Android phones can be a wifi hotspot so RIM can't stop the PB from using that. The "connecting" it sounds like you all are talking about is integration, correct?
    11-01-10 10:48 AM
    Other phones, such as some Android phones can be a wifi hotspot so RIM can't stop the PB from using that. The "connecting" it sounds like you all are talking about is integration, correct?
    That sounds right, it's the ability to view a smartphone screen on the PB when using the VNC client that QNX have announced.
    11-01-10 12:21 PM
    Yes. The way RIM is making it sound, you can work on spreadsheets, memos, Word documents, pdf files, etc from your PB although they are stored only on the phone without actually saving any information to the PB. That way, if the PB is lost, stolen, or whatever, you're not actually losing any valuable/confidential information. Now, should RIM allow the same process to happen on an Android device or iPhone?

Whether or not they allow that integration, I think you're right that there's not much they can do to keep the PB from connecting to another manufacturer via WiFi hotspot, but that still won't allow the PB to access any data actually on the phone like the BT connection Lazardis touched on. It will only allow the PB to get to the internet (BIS/BES). So you still won't be able to view pictures or videos or whatever on the phone. That is, of course, unless you transfer the data to the PB via the home computer or upload the images to a website and download to the PB.... but who wants that hastle?

Or use the PB to take all pics and vids and work on all files instead of ever saving anything to the phone and it won't be an issue. Personally, I like the idea of having everything saved to the phone and working on it through the PB. My Storm2 would basically become an internet source when not in range of WiFi (without ever having to touch it), replace my usb storage device and become a BT connected storage device (without ever having to touch it), and a phone. It would be just like having a dumbphone that never leaves my pocket (unless I get called of course), so my data would almost always stay safe.

Anyone disagree? Is it possible to get to information on a phone through a WiFi hotspot?
    11-01-10 04:16 PM
    Is it possible to get to information on a phone through a WiFi hotspot?
    There's no universal answer to that question. When you connect over WiFi to a phone you are connected to it with a network connection. It's like two computers at your house plugged into the same router. If you have appropriate apps then they can communicate and share data. I don't think Android or iPhone have network file sharing as a built-in feature, but I'm sure apps exist for both to do that. You can only get information on a phone to the extent that the phone permits to be obtained though. No apps, or the right security settings, and there's no way to get information. Unless of course you discover a security vulnerability, but that's another issue entirely.
    11-01-10 10:10 PM
    This is a very good question but as I understand it the PB will be able to connect to any BB by using a secure BT connection and not a wifi connection. Now will it be able to hope on any device say the evo with its hotspot feature? Yes but it will not have the same kind of connection that will allow for things from the device to transfer to the PB like it will on a berry.

The VNC/ONX software that was showed in the video is a completely different technology in that it is only duplicating the image of the device. The main difference is this, the PB is taking what you have on your device and displaying as its own data while TM is just duplicating an image of the device so that you can have access to it while on the go. Think of it as a projected image on the navi pane.

This is just my understanding of the two different technologies I could off with this but i do not see RIM allowing any device to connect to the PB in the same manner as a bb, as this would be bad for the market that it is directing this to business sector.
    11-01-10 11:10 PM
    There's no universal answer to that question. When you connect over WiFi to a phone you are connected to it with a network connection. It's like two computers at your house plugged into the same router. If you have appropriate apps then they can communicate and share data. I don't think Android or iPhone have network file sharing as a built-in feature, but I'm sure apps exist for both to do that. You can only get information on a phone to the extent that the phone permits to be obtained though. No apps, or the right security settings, and there's no way to get information. Unless of course you discover a security vulnerability, but that's another issue entirely.
    Thanks taylortbb. Programs specifically set up for it and hacking into the phone aside, I was thinking that the WiFi and BT connections were completely different in how they accessed (or didn't) information on a phone. The network analogy was perfect. So, just having the random non-BB phone and PB connected doesn't allow data sharing between the two.... right?

This is a very good question but as I understand it the PB will be able to connect to any BB by using a secure BT connection and not a wifi connection. Now will it be able to hope on any device say the evo with its hotspot feature? Yes but it will not have the same kind of connection that will allow for things from the device to transfer to the PB like it will on a berry.

The VNC/ONX software that was showed in the video is a completely different technology in that it is only duplicating the image of the device. The main difference is this, the PB is taking what you have on your device and displaying as its own data while TM is just duplicating an image of the device so that you can have access to it while on the go. Think of it as a projected image on the navi pane.

This is just my understanding of the two different technologies I could off with this but i do not see RIM allowing any device to connect to the PB in the same manner as a bb, as this would be bad for the market that it is directing this to business sector.
    Now, lets say a third party like Mobihand makes a program that would allow the PB to connect to a Droid2 using the WiFi hotspot and share data just like the home network analogy from taylortbb, will RIM have settings in the phone to prevent that from happening?
    Last edited by drjay868; 11-02-10 at 06:29 AM.
    11-02-10 06:25 AM
    If the Playbook and the other manufacturers phone both support Nokia Terminal Mode via Bluetooth with VNC, then yes the playbook should be able to bring up the screen of that non-Blackberry phone.
    11-02-10 07:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD