Seems like everyone is just winging it and hoping it works.
    02-22-12 12:56 PM
    No, everyone is not just "winging" it. If you know what your email settings are you are fine.

I set-up my corporate email on the Playbook in seconds. Mind you, our Exchange Server is up-to-date, we are running the latest version of BES and Microsoft Activesync was already configured. I don't know HOW many calls I got from customers saying the Playbook won't connect to their corporate email only to find their "crackerjack IT professionals" don't have the server set-up right and are blaming the Playbook.

I have set-up quite a few people with non-corporate email on their Playbooks with hardly any issues. The only person I had trouble with was a fellow that knew NOTHING about his email account.

"What's your SMTP server setting?"

"Ah, [email protected]?"

"No sir. I need the SMTP server setting your hosting company uses."

"Yeah, all I ever use is [email protected]."

"Okay, what's your password?"

"Ahh, I don't enter a password to get my email."

One minute of slamming my head on his desk and five minutes with the guy's secretary and I had all the info I needed to set him up.

Now this isn't to say some folks are not having legitimate trouble. But I suspect this is with accounts that they don't have all the right info for, or the Playbook was not security wiped and loaded fresh with OS2 and or Dingleberry'ed, etc ...

My email set-up experience on 10 Playbooks so far has been excellent with OS2.

Get ALL the right info from your email provider and hit the Advanced Setup button is my only tip.
    02-22-12 01:25 PM
    I trying to set up a telus account. I have even followed some of the suggestions on this forum. Each time I get a different error message.

This is using the advance setup. I see from another thread people have gotten Telus to work by using completely different set ups.
    Last edited by Geronimo1257; 02-22-12 at 01:46 PM.
    02-22-12 01:40 PM
    I trying to set up a telus account. I have even followed some of the suggestions on this forum. Each time I get a different error message.
    For telus follow these directions.

Setting up your email client | Internet and email support | Help & support | TELUS

The directions are pretty straight forward, if it doesn't automatically detect your email servers then click advanced and input them manually.
    02-22-12 01:45 PM
    That's what I've been doing for the last 24 hours..following those instructions
    Setting up your email client | Internet and email support | Help & support | TELUS

in 20 different methods...nothing works.
    02-22-12 01:52 PM
    I had to call my internet provider for help. after 1 hour we figured stuff out. the fact that your getting different error message is good. as this means your changes are working. the problem that I figured out was that I had to leave the smtp user name blank along with the smpt password. We had to play with the SSL encryption setting on bell aliant the incomming server is SSL but the outgoing SSL must be off. Hope this works.:p
    02-22-12 03:15 PM
    I had to call my internet provider for help. after 1 hour we figured stuff out. the fact that your getting different error message is good. as this means your changes are working. the problem that I figured out was that I had to leave the smtp user name blank along with the smpt password. We had to play with the SSL encryption setting on bell aliant the incomming server is SSL but the outgoing SSL must be off. Hope this works.
    02-22-12 03:17 PM
    I agree that it's not the most intuitive process, but like someone said above, if you know all your settings... it's a breeze. I had to verify mine by going on my home computer and looking at my account set up for all the info. I entered it and presto!
    02-22-12 03:23 PM
    Still not working!!!!!!! I keep getting different error messages ..so I change what they tell me is wrong then I get another error message!!!!! %&^$%#@

The only one that works is a hotmail.
    02-22-12 07:21 PM
    I got everything except MSN exchange working
    02-22-12 08:16 PM
    yeah thanks for nothing I really could care less about your experience. if you can't offer any help just STFU.
    That's pretty harsh. Taking out your issues on forum members wont fix your email issue.
    cntrydncr223 and ubermanx like this.
    02-22-12 10:25 PM
    OP calm down a little. People here really are trying to help you.
    02-22-12 11:12 PM
    Pretty simple. Firstly, TELUS supports IMAP or POP.
    For both, the username, email address and passwords are things you should know.

For IMAP, the mailserver is IMAP.TELUS.NET (there's no good reason to use POP on a tablet).
    If I remember correctly, the RIM setup will automatically choose the correct port.
    For SMTP, do not enter anything is username or password.
    For server use SMTP.TELUS.NET

No encryption on either IMAP or SMPT.

That should work. I would think you have a PC or a Mac - check the settings on that if it still doesn't work.
    Also, when asking for assistance and quoting "errors" it's best to tell the people you are asking for help from, what those errors are...

Just saying...

Also see http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=7161757#post7161757
    Last edited by googlie; 02-22-12 at 11:44 PM.
    02-22-12 11:30 PM
    both my hotmail and Rogers emails worked the first try but my school's email didn't work and i have no idea what all the advanced settings are so i'll just use the web browser if i have to lol.
    02-23-12 12:19 AM
    Hi folks,

first post in this forum as I'm new to Blackberry Playbook (and reasonably new to my Bold 9900). I'm first to admit I have little idea how my email accounts work or how to access my settings, but my accounts work fine with my phone, and all seem to be working fine with PB, except my yahoo account. I can sign it in with the yahoomail app OK, but I can't get it to add to the accounts part. I have made some progress in that it downloaded all my yahoo emails already in the account, but it seems not to be downloading new emails.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

G
    02-23-12 04:02 AM
    Pretty simple. Firstly, TELUS supports IMAP or POP.
    For both, the username, email address and passwords are things you should know.

For IMAP, the mailserver is IMAP.TELUS.NET (there's no good reason to use POP on a tablet).
    If I remember correctly, the RIM setup will automatically choose the correct port.
    For SMTP, do not enter anything is username or password.
    For server use SMTP.TELUS.NET

No encryption on either IMAP or SMPT.

That should work. I would think you have a PC or a Mac - check the settings on that if it still doesn't work.
    Also, when asking for assistance and quoting "errors" it's best to tell the people you are asking for help from, what those errors are...

Just saying...

Also see http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...57#post7161757
    Once again..ZIPPO!. "The settings might be incorrect or the server could be temporarily off line"

&*^%$^&&%^&!!!!!!

lol this time it took the info..downloaded my email from my telus account..but now it says "cannot connect to server" so in other words it's useless. I can't open any of the email. The PB went into a never ending save mode and the little green circle kept spinning away after I entered the info. The only way I could get it to stop was by doing a restart.
    Last edited by Geronimo1257; 02-23-12 at 11:18 AM.
    02-23-12 10:49 AM
    That's pretty harsh. Taking out your issues on forum members wont fix your email issue.
    And posting your belittling experience of someone is helpful in what way?????
    02-23-12 11:21 AM
    This is obviously not an isolated incident. I have successfully set up email on iphone, ipad, ipod, android, windows, symbian, maemo, mac and others, but the playbook setup has me flummoxed. I'm with Demon in the UK and have tried every damn setting to get it working. I know it's a slim chance..but is anyone else here on Demon? POP3 and SMTP
    02-23-12 11:59 AM
    This is obviously not an isolated incident. I have successfully set up email on iphone, ipad, ipod, android, windows, symbian, maemo, mac and others, but the playbook setup has me flummoxed. I'm with Demon in the UK and have tried every damn setting to get it working. I know it's a slim chance..but is anyone else here on Demon? POP3 and SMTP
    I have to agree. Setting up email was a right royal pain for me...

My ISP (BT) provides POP3 mail, via Yahoo. The settings are fully documented on their support site and I've been using them since day 1 in my desktop email client (Thunderbird). When I transferred the same settings across to my PlayBook, it initially connected OK and downloaded mail but then disconnected from the server immediately afterwards and threw an error. It continued to remain disconnected and unable to contact the mail server until I re-saved the account settings, at which point it would duly connect and download mail again.

I ultimately resolved my issue by completely ignoring the advertised POP3 settings and used the generic Yahoo IMAP settings instead. I now get mail. Whether it retains it on the server after I delete it on the PlayBook remains to be seen. Yesterday, I deleted mails and they came right back after the next poll but today things seemed to have settled down. Right now, it seems to be doing the job so I am happy.
    02-23-12 01:24 PM
    And posting your belittling experience of someone is helpful in what way?????
    And in what way was that belittling? Your attitude towards people is just unacceptable. I'm sure with the huge support that we have here someone has the correct answer, but due to your poor attitude they are choosing not to help you. Maybe if you changed your attitude you might find some help.....but keep up your attitude and I'm sure you'll still be in the same boat as you are now.
    ubermanx and cntrydncr223 like this.
    02-23-12 02:28 PM
    And in what way was that belittling? Your attitude towards people is just unacceptable. I'm sure with the huge support that we have here someone has the correct answer, but due to your poor attitude they are choosing not to help you. Maybe if you changed your attitude you might find some help.....but keep up your attitude and I'm sure you'll still be in the same boat as you are now.
    This is belittling..from Ubermanx

"What's your SMTP server setting?"

"Ah, [email protected]?"

"No sir. I need the SMTP server setting your hosting company uses."

"Yeah, all I ever use is [email protected]."

"Okay, what's your password?"

"Ahh, I don't enter a password to get my email."

One minute of slamming my head on his desk and five minutes with the guy's secretary and I had all the info I needed to set him up.

Now this isn't to say some folks are not having legitimate trouble. But I suspect this is with accounts that they don't have all the right info for, or the Playbook was not security wiped and loaded fresh with OS2 and or Dingleberry'ed, etc ...

My email set-up experience on 10 Playbooks so far has been excellent with OS2.

Get ALL the right info from your email provider and hit the Advanced Setup button is my only tip.

Who the heck needs to read that? How did that help with the email problem?..did it make him feel like a hero? Probably the highlight of the week for a guy like him.

Stick to the topic or shut your piehole.
    02-23-12 05:55 PM
    yes but according to people like panterack and ubermanx there is no problem.
    02-23-12 05:57 PM
    yes but according to people like panterack and ubermanx there is no problem.
    But it is also highly unlikely that there is a widespread problem in Canada --- where you are from, where RIM is based, where there are only 3 major telecom companies and where the Playbook has 15% of the tablet market --- and we don't hear about it.

There are 10,000 RIM employees in Canada and 1/3 of them will have telus as their carrier.
    02-23-12 06:09 PM
    But it is also highly unlikely that there is a widespread problem in Canada --- where you are from, where RIM is based, where there are only 3 major telecom companies and where the Playbook has 15% of the tablet market --- and we don't hear about it.

There are 10,000 RIM employees in Canada and 1/3 of them will have telus as their carrier.
    Telus isn't working on mine or my wifes play-book. I'm in Calgary.

Obviously a problem with RIM...as I posted in another thread their answer was " I have no idea as to why it's not working" was their reply. PFP if you ask me.
    02-23-12 06:16 PM
    Guys, click on following link to see how to set up emails on PB 2.0 :

http://crackberry.com/setting-accoun...ry-playbook-20

Enjoy!
    02-23-12 06:17 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD