No you are not!

But the Storm 3 isn't coming out for at least 5 more months or 6. (at least that was the plan back then when the "refresh" version wasn't even mentioned.

RIM had to give Verizon a new phone this year aside from the 9330 but they weren't ready with the Storm 3, and that's why they tried pushing the Refresh, but I guess Verizon said no to that one.

I've seen RIM/Verizon delaying phones, never releasing before than expected so I wouldn't get to excited just yet.

There's always a first time for everything tho
    Thank you! I thought it was a good idea. But everyone was against me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-10 11:43 AM
    Okay Sal, if dsquared2 is correct that the Playbook OS is coming along better then planned, then how is it still true that we won't see the S3 for 5 or 6 more months, since the 5 or 6mths timeframe was from maybe 2 months ago...

Doesn't RIM see the urgency here? In that, they won't have a real consumer touchscreen phone out for the holidays. Then the iPhone is due out after the beginning of the new year and RIM still won't have a competitive touchscreen phone on the market before then either if that timeframe is correct.

If they really see the urgency and the Playbook OS is coming along very good right now, then that would be the reason I'd assume they cancelled the 9570. Then wouldn't they need to know they have to push the S3 timeframe ahead here?? That would make sense IMO.
    The S3 just seems like it's been in the works forever, I mean JLevy posted about it over a year ago, then you posted about it early summer I think it was. The reason you gave back then that it couldn't be leaked was because of Verizon's LTE network. Well now we know when the LTE launch is in Nov, so can't we get a S3 here sooner then 6 month. It's getting frustrating....
    10-11-10 11:46 AM
    Okay Sal, if dsquared2 is correct that the Playbook OS is coming along better then planned, then how is it still true that we won't see the S3 for 5 or 6 more months, since the 5 or 6mths timeframe was from maybe 2 months ago...

Doesn't RIM see the urgency here? In that, they won't have a real consumer touchscreen phone out for the holidays. Then the iPhone is due out after the beginning of the new year and RIM still won't have a competitive touchscreen phone on the market before then either if that timeframe is correct.

If they really see the urgency and the Playbook OS is coming along very good right now, then that would be the reason I'd assume they cancelled the 9570. Then wouldn't they need to know they have to push the S3 timeframe ahead here?? That would make sense IMO.
    The S3 just seems like it's been in the works forever, I mean JLevy posted about it over a year ago, then you posted about it early summer I think it was. The reason you gave back then that it couldn't be leaked was because of Verizon's LTE network. Well now we know when the LTE launch is in Nov, so can't we get a S3 here sooner then 6 month. It's getting frustrating....
    So true. I would grab one it it dropped this year. I would maybe wait until Jan or Feb. 6 months from now, no way. And the Playbook's specs are relevant now. The won't be so relavant in Q2 2011.

And if VZW is the exclusive carrier of the S3 in North America, then it will be directly competing with Iphone 4/5 and God know what Android will do.

I mean, not to say that an S3 with dual core 1ghz proc, or that Triple Core Armada 628 beast wouldn't be rocking. But it would have to have the full package from new OS and all. Could not be a buggy, half backed release on hardware that was top of the line a year ago.

My biggest question is will you be able to run and store apps on Internal Memory, or only in the same RAM as the OS? iOS and Android have worked this out, so RIM needs to follow suit.
    10-11-10 11:53 AM
    That timeline has me thinking time to go Android. Maybe a Storm 4 or 5 will follow that up for me. My S1 is near dead and so is my Wife's. Just need a good BOGO deal on VZW.
    I'm with you here!! Was playing with my friends Galaxy S over the weekend at a wedding and basically using his internet due to my S1 being completely horrrible. After that I was thinking that this is getting ridiculious, I need a new phone and I'm getting sick of waiting.
    I don't wanna go to a physical keyboard either by getting a 9330 or some other BB on verizon to hold me over since it looks like we won't see a new touchscreen BB for who knows how long.....
    I really wanna stick with BB cause I def want a Playbook so I can tether it to my device. However this is just getting brutal
    10-11-10 11:55 AM

I have a theory but I'm afraid you guys will say I'm crazy again :P

10-11-10 12:12 PM
    I have a theory but I'm afraid you guys will say I'm crazy again :P

Lets hear it, at this point I'm all ears...
    10-11-10 03:27 PM

Yeah lets hear it... it sounds like we got 5 to 6 months to waste/wait
    10-11-10 03:59 PM
    And while we are waiting for that theory I will go ahead and talk about the 500lb Gorilla that this site seems to be ignoring.

Windows Phone 7 released today and will have up to 10 devices in market by 12/1. Now correct me if I am wrong, but WM6.5 came out around when OS5 did, or close to it. Clearly both RIM and MicroSoft needed to update thru platforms. RIM went with QNX and MS flushed what they had and started over. and they have their new platform out now, not in 5 to 6 months.

But MS has also given a clear vision of what they are doing and where they are going. RIM has failed to do that. BB6!? What is that? Not even 2 months later they showcase a whole new OS. But wait that new OS is called "Tablet OS" and is for a new piece of hardware that no one gets a hands on test drive with. They spend a lot of time in thru Dev conference talking about QNX, but does the new SDK work for that? Or just the tablet? Or just BB6. RIM has said the new OS will land on Smartphones next year. So why call it Tablet OS? And if that is the case what the fivk is BB6 and its 1 device all about!?

RIM should have held off on BB6, moved QNX to the fore front and been ready at DevCon to unleash it on a Storm, Torch, and tablet. Then have all in market for the holidays. Oh and just like MS did , demo it from the device itself. Enough with pretty marketing videos.

I think RIM is on the right track but they are behind the competition and can't afford confusion about where they are going. It should just be "Here is the next generation OS and hardware for Blackberries!". Done.

I like the cowboys. (and not just for my little friends in my Avatar). I kind of equate RIM to what happene this weekend where the 'Boys ended up getting penalized for celebrating a TD when they were still losing the game. When you are losing you don't celebrate. You do everything you can to start winning. Sure RIM is still #1 in NA but even they recognize how badly they underestimated Apple and then Android and how behind they are in Technology. They have a solid thing with security and push, but that is not hurting Android or Apple one but at this point.
    [/rant]

10-11-10 04:22 PM
    Yeah lets hear it... it sounds like we got 5 to 6 months to waste/wait
    Don't even tell me we gotta wait 5 to 6 months to hear your theory??
    10-11-10 07:29 PM
    hahaha i dunno its kinda long :/
    10-12-10 05:25 PM
    Well as long as it doesn't take 5 or 6 months to type your theory, I think we'd be willing to hear it.

Otherwise here's some info I found about it.
    BlackBerry Storm 3, PlayBook Tablet to Give RIM a Boost: Analysts - Mobile and Wireless from eWeek

IN this article, it mentions basically a Non Sure-Press Storm 3 coming out at the end of November and then Storm 4 coming later. So my theory would be that the Storm 4 will obviously be the Storm 4G/LTE and will be the thinner iPhone like phone they are talking about. Captain Obvious would also say this would be the phone to compete with the iPhone that will be on Verizon. Althou I still don't think it's a good idea for RIM to WAIT and either try to compete with the same release date or a later release date of the Verizon iPhone since they are already losing ground. Besides if that photo we saw is the S4 then why are they still holding off? Give us QNX OS on the S4 now and lets run with it, RIM re-establishes a competitive spec relavant phone now. This turns their stock around and then it's get another boost when the Playbook releases. WIN....WIN!!
    Anyway, about this other Storm 3, I just hope that the screen res is upped and maybe there is a different design and a few other bigger upgrades then the 9570 was. If that's the case then I'd be pretty satisfied purchasing this phone to hold me over to go along with a Playbook until the S4 comes out.
    I'd still rather have the S4 thou;p
    10-12-10 08:05 PM
    I think that RIM had the 9570 ready to go, and Verizon was on board because Storm1 users are ready for an upgrade, and they wanted to keep those users "happy" with another touchscreen, and those who enjoy SurePress click, BlackBerry. But i think the QNX team has been ahead of schedule developing the OS for the Storm3 (as they had a foundation to start with, the PlayBook OS). But the HARDWARE final specs are still not close to final, they are testing out that model with the trackpad (may have to do with a functionality on QNX OS) and a few other models. So instead of it being released at the originally planned year later, it was moved to a smaller time cushion of 5-6mo. (Still missing being able to fit into the 2.5's planned spot). But knowing that releasing a big upgrade to a phone only a few months after the Storm2.5 would get people mad, they had 2 choices.

1.) Release Storm2.5 and rush through BOGO, price cut to $149 ,another BOGO then $99 all within a few months before the S3. Also, have people mad that they bought a phone that was out of date as soon as they bought it.

2.) Cancel it, and know that users will stay with Verizon, and when the Storm3 is released reel them back in to the Storm line/BlackBerry if they left for Android or another smartphone.

Obviously they picked option 2, and with that big of a loss the 9570 was cancelled across all carriers.

There is also the timing of the S3's rumored release date.. I think they also planned on using the 9570 as the usual one year update, the somewhat traditonal release a new version one year after release of the previous (one year after 2.5 comes the S3). But the OS is going faster than usual, so it was projected at 5-6mo (from what Salomondrin got from his sources). But because the Storm3 hardware was still in Research&Development stage (trackpad version in leaked picture being a test model), they couldn't get it out in time to fit into the S2.5's expected time-slot.

Notice all the times i say "i think", please remember this is my theory and it is anywhere from 0-100% true. I just wanted to share it to get some ideas out there and some people wanted to know. Please don't hate on me, if you disagree that's absolutely fine but don't hate! I just think this is feasible and figured i'd share.

No you are not!
    , let me know what you think is feasible or doesn't sound right at all! I know you were saying about RIM not being ready to release the S3 yet, i think it was on the hardware end because i can see that trackpad model being a version of the non-trackpad S3 that they originally were going with, but with the new QNX OS wanted to test out another input method for users; and the hardware anticipated completion date fell behind the original anticipated OS completion date. I think the S3 was supposed to come out a year later, giving time for OS6 to sink it, but they moved it up because of fast QNX development but couldnt quite get the finalized hardware out intime for this November.

We might as well theorize as we have a long way to wait!
    10-12-10 10:14 PM
    Well as long as it doesn't take 5 or 6 months to type your theory, I think we'd be willing to hear it.

Otherwise here's some info I found about it.
    BlackBerry Storm 3, PlayBook Tablet to Give RIM a Boost: Analysts - Mobile and Wireless from eWeek

IN this article, it mentions basically a Non Sure-Press Storm 3 coming out at the end of November and then Storm 4 coming later. So my theory would be that the Storm 4 will obviously be the Storm 4G/LTE and will be the thinner iPhone like phone they are talking about. Captain Obvious would also say this would be the phone to compete with the iPhone that will be on Verizon. Althou I still don't think it's a good idea for RIM to WAIT and either try to compete with the same release date or a later release date of the Verizon iPhone since they are already losing ground. Besides if that photo we saw is the S4 then why are they still holding off? Give us QNX OS on the S4 now and lets run with it, RIM re-establishes a competitive spec relavant phone now. This turns their stock around and then it's get another boost when the Playbook releases. WIN....WIN!!
    Anyway, about this other Storm 3, I just hope that the screen res is upped and maybe there is a different design and a few other bigger upgrades then the 9570 was. If that's the case then I'd be pretty satisfied purchasing this phone to hold me over to go along with a Playbook until the S4 comes out.
    I'd still rather have the S4 thou;p
    (bold) hardest ive laughed all day
    10-12-10 10:15 PM
    Interest article, I hope the stuff about the non-canceled 2.5 version is true. I don't think my S1 can last too much longer.
    10-13-10 09:41 AM
    Very interesting, Here is another article I saw on phone arena.

Storm 3 coming in November? (Phone Arena News)
    10-13-10 02:44 PM
    I'm really curious to know how Salomondrin "knows" the iPhone is going to VZW this time. (Not knocking your info dude, just curious for more info). Its been said for years now without happening.

Good thing storm refresh was cancelled. I don't see it having sold a significant amount of units.
    10-14-10 11:59 PM
    There are certain people on the forums that have solid track records and don't get questioned. Crucial_Xtreme and Salomondrin are two of those people. HOW they know is not an issue- we're just glad that they have the info. Thanks guys!

10-15-10 08:47 AM
    I'm really curious to know how Salomondrin "knows" the iPhone is going to VZW this time. (Not knocking your info dude, just curious for more info). Its been said for years now without happening.

Good thing storm refresh was cancelled. I don't see it having sold a significant amount of units.
    The iPhone is coming to VZW mid January. This is from one of my inside contacts.

I want that S4. But I am not waiting. Picked up a Droid X to kill the time until the slow moving RIM can get their act in gear. The PlayBook is promising, but speed to market has always been a RIM shortcoming.
    10-15-10 08:57 AM
    Oh I know that have great track records. CX and Sal always seem to be on the ball. I'm really curious to knowing anything more to try and put some pieces together. The i4 on VZW in January seems a bit funky to me, with Apples usual timelines and no LTE maturity. Yes we'll all know soon enough. But hey, RIM slowness wears off patience in general :P

10-15-10 04:59 PM
    Come on playas! We know better than this...

When we announced RIM was working on a new LTE Storm and its specs, some of the MODS here said "well isn't that obvious" and put us down for it.

The new OS that my source saw on the phone is the same one in the PLAYBOOK. And the specs are almost identical.

What I can't believe is that BB actually tried making a "Storm Refresh" so close to the LTE version release, but I guess Verizon and RIM changed their minds. (for good).

YES, Verizon is indeed getting the iPhone this time and that's why is being more picky with its phones too.

Simple stuff

And I'm soooo excited about the iPhone on Verizon! **** YOU AT&T and your horrendous phone service and costumer service!

Wow!!! Sal is still with us!!!

Great to hear from you again. I was sad to see your site go down. What is up with that?

As to the Storm3. I stood in line to get the Storm1 and was disappointed. Then I talked VZW into giving me a Storm2 for free to keep me around while I waited for the December phone releases...it is worlds better but still far behind where everyone else is.

So tell us...are the leaked pictures that we saw of the Storm3 (you know..the ones with the guy and his big ring that everyone talked about) really the Storm3?

Give us more info!!!
    10-16-10 09:51 PM
    Very interesting, Here is another article I saw on phone arena.

Storm 3 coming in November? (Phone Arena News)
    I hope they don't launch a Storm3 that is not LTE capable. If they do...it will FAIL!!!

The iPhone is coming to VZW mid January. This is from one of my inside contacts.
    So...will it be announced this coming week by Apple? You know...their big surprise meeting on the 20th? It could just be about Mac...but what if Steve's one more thing is the announcement that the iPhone is coming to Verizon this winter? If they do that and the Storm3 isn't class leading...it will fail. RIM needs to come out with everything they have! It had better be worlds better than the lame *** Torch.
    10-16-10 09:54 PM
    So now the Storm3 shows up in Verizon's system.

BlackBerry Storm3 spotted in Verizon Wireless’ system � Boy Genius Report

So which device is this? Surely not the Odin Refresh...after all this they can't go back to that lame *** device. I hope to god that the real Storm 3 is running ahead of schedule and will be released in November.
    10-19-10 01:14 PM
    So now the Storm3 shows up in Verizon's system.

BlackBerry Storm3 spotted in Verizon Wireless� system � Boy Genius Report

So which device is this? Surely not the Odin Refresh...after all this they can't go back to that lame *** device. I hope to god that the real Storm 3 is running ahead of schedule and will be released in November.
    I think this is a fake, or an old pic. One of the posters on BGR pointed out that you could make the picture device say anything. I am even wondering if the QNX touch Screen device would even be called a Storm. We would have seen more about the 9570 by now. A few pictures leaked out a while ago and then silence.
    10-19-10 01:29 PM
    No you are not!

But the Storm 3 isn't coming out for at least 5 more months or 6. (at least that was the plan back then when the "refresh" version wasn't even mentioned.

RIM had to give Verizon a new phone this year aside from the 9330 but they weren't ready with the Storm 3, and that's why they tried pushing the Refresh, but I guess Verizon said no to that one.

I've seen RIM/Verizon delaying phones, never releasing before than expected so I wouldn't get to excited just yet.

There's always a first time for everything tho
    So I am so confused now. It is coming and now it isn't coming...

Sal - what do you make of this:

BlackBerry Storm 3 spotted in Verizon Wireless’ system � Boy Genius Report
    10-19-10 01:32 PM
    So if vzw does come out with a new iteration of the Storm (NOT the storm2 refresh), will RIM then skip the 9570 model number and label it as Storm (3/4) 9590?

Just curious where they would go with that...
    10-19-10 03:33 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD