RIM has said that BB10 will come to the Playbook after it is released on the new smartphone, which they have committed to releasing Q1 of 2013.
    As far as I can tell, this leaves the release date of BB10 on the Playbook open ended.

The new phone(s) are acutely critical to RIM's success and the Playbook is not.

If tradeoff's are made, and they almost certainly will be, I would not be surprised if:
    -portrait mode will be favoured over landscape.
    -presentation is optimzed for 4 inch screen over 7 inch screen.
    -single handed usage over two handed usage.

I think that an interface optimized for portrait mode will adapt to landscape better than the other way round.
    Also a GUI optimized for 4 inches will be more usable on a 7 inch screen than the other way round.

Once the new smartphone(s) are released there will he huge pressure/temptation to fix and extend the OS for the smartphone platform and relatively little incentive to allocate resources for the OS on Playbook.

Despite this I will be waiting with baited breath for BB10 on the Playbook.
    Lendo and Akuji_ism like this.
    09-22-12 11:47 PM
    It's always nice to have a dream
    09-22-12 11:50 PM
    I am sure BB10 will never make its way to the PlayBook....well, maybe not 2013.
    09-22-12 11:56 PM
    I am sure BB10 will never make its way to the PlayBook....well, maybe not 2013.
    And what makes you say that?
    09-23-12 12:13 AM
    I feel confident it will arrive in a timely manner. Once all the code is finished and BB X is a done deal, it's a piece of cake to push it out to the PlayBooks, AND they want to get us all hot and bothered for the 10".
    (that sounds kinda funny )
    BerryClever likes this.
    09-23-12 12:55 AM
    As far as I can tell, this leaves the release date of BB10 on the Playbook open ended.

The new phone(s) are acutely critical to RIM's success and the Playbook is not.

Once the new smartphone(s) are released there will he huge pressure/temptation to fix and extend the OS for the smartphone platform and relatively little incentive to allocate resources for the OS on Playbook.

I think the PlayBook update will be very soon after BB10 phones are released and there will be allocated resources for the PlayBook. BB10's foundation will be used for both platforms which I'd imagine means that there maybe tweaks made but it will be a minimal process. From my understanding of BB10, it is meant to be a as much of a one size fits all as possible in order to create an ecosystem of platforms. This means they will not be maintaining two OSs, but just one (therefore if resources must be divided, PB doesn't even need much because it involves tweaks).

As for the phones are more important than the PlayBook, I am not sure about that either because BB10 is the most important thing. Having BB10 on both their phones AND their tablets allows them to increase their user base. The larger the user base, the higher acceptance there is to make apps for the BB10 platform. One of RIM's major failure is the lack of apps (they know that, which is why there are now Android apps), and by having a large user base they can bring in more native apps which will help to sell more phones AND tablets.

Conservatively (I have seen a *lot* of different numbers) the PlayBook has 250,000 users which adds a considerable amount to RIM's user pool.

RIM is betting on it's software to bring in customers and the number of customers will bring in the apps. I think that this isn't a hardware division issue, but a numbers issue and that PlayBook having BB10 soon after will help them. I also think that they know this and that is why they are pushing BB10 and not hardware and making sure that BB10 is on all their devices. It is all about the numbers, it is all about popularity.
    09-23-12 01:21 AM
    I read somewhere on the Web that rim is showing off the bb10 os on the Motorola xoom in a bid to secure licensing deals for the platform. That would mean that bb10 on the playbook for rim is as easy as flicking a switch to release the update
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    09-23-12 01:53 AM
    I read somewhere on the Web that rim is showing off the bb10 os on the Motorola xoom in a bid to secure licensing deals for the platform. That would mean that bb10 on the playbook for rim is as easy as flicking a switch to release the update
    Are they doing that as an example? Motorola Xoom is done through Motorola Mobility and that is a subsidiary of Google. I am not sure how open Google would be to the thought of BB10 on their hardware.

I also read about the possibility of licensing their software like BB10 and BBM, but I think that is a last resort that they would look into (as any company would) and anything that says immediate is a probably a rumor.
    09-23-12 10:44 AM
    BB 10 on Motorola, IOS apps on Playbook.....just speaks to the versatility of the platform....I know...rose coloured glasses (Cdn spelling)
    09-24-12 03:19 AM
    Conservatively (I have seen a *lot* of different numbers) the PlayBook has 250,000 users which adds a considerable amount to RIM's user pool.
    You dropped a "1" from in front of that, at least...
    09-24-12 08:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD