Hm, I would have liked VPN but maybe they'll support it later with a software update? I don't need a lot of apps, mostly just basic functionality. Both my e-mails should work properly as one is Exchange based (wtv that means) and the other one is on Gmail. The only thing I saw is that accessories for Playbooks are much more expensive I would have loved to buy a keyboard/case for it but it's too expensive.
    The only android tablet I'd buy would be the Nexus 7 as it's a Google product so updates for it would be released as soon as Google is done with them (as opposed to anything that is carrier locked/designed)
    The Playbook won't be perfect but together with a good smartphone, it will be everything I need.
    09-19-12 03:21 AM
    VPN - ok this is where I have some questions of my own, for using Citrix receiver my wife has no problem logging into her PC VPN and virtual desktop & using this full screen on her PB. After that VPN isn't something I dabble with much myself.

However with the keyboard, etc - yes an official BB PB case with keyboard & trackpad IS expensive. However there are other ways of achieving the same. I myself have a leather protective case / stand combination (�5 off the web); coupled with an iLuv BT portable keyboard (�10 off the web) and a Mac BT mouse. I have used the combo at home linked to TV via hdmi, on planes & trains - use it all the time for work-based activities, then once i'm on the tube (for example) i'm back to "normal" tablet use - without the trackpad, etc.

Best of both worlds...I think so. Others will differ in opinion but for the cash its a great resolution. Using the stand on the case provides more than enough space, plus the iLuv keyboard is the perfect bag size, but is responsive & slightly bigger than that on the official BT keyboard / trackpad combo. So in comparison - around �80 for the official case/combo; my own cost - about �20.
    09-19-12 04:16 AM
    The Playbook won't be perfect but together with a good smartphone, it will be everything I need.
    Exactly how I feel! Can't say anymore than that
    09-19-12 04:22 AM
    However with the keyboard, etc - yes an official BB PB case with keyboard & trackpad IS expensive. However there are other ways of achieving the same. I myself have a leather protective case / stand combination (�5 off the web); coupled with an iLuv BT portable keyboard (�10 off the web) and a Mac BT mouse. I have used the combo at home linked to TV via hdmi, on planes & trains - use it all the time for work-based activities, then once i'm on the tube (for example) i'm back to "normal" tablet use - without the trackpad, etc.

Can you send me links from where you bought them? I would greatly appreciate that.
    09-19-12 05:01 AM
    Simple answer - fleabay. Case is �5.99 delivered (hundreds of styles on there, good quality too); the keyboard - couldn't see any deals for the iluv, but if you check the UK fleabay site you can pick up a white portable BT keyboard (for ipad!) for �12.48 - any BT keyboard will work; the mouse - I had this lying around spare but again looking for BT mice on the same site - a mini wireless BT mouse can be picked up for �5.50.

Total cost for the above: �5.99+12.48+5.50 = �23.97

Bargain! And as I said before you have the option of the PB being used either as a 'laptop' or a plain tablet on the go!
    09-19-12 08:01 AM
    The mail application on the playbook is brutally slow to load and use. It is night and day compared to the mail app on your phone or on other tablets. I gave up on using it entirely shortly after 2.0 came out and if I have to check mail on my Playbook now I use the browser to access webmail.
    if you think it was slow then, you should see how slow it loads up in 2.1 beta!
    09-20-12 12:44 AM
    Hm, I would have liked VPN but maybe they'll support it later with a software update? I don't need a lot of apps, mostly just basic functionality. Both my e-mails should work properly as one is Exchange based (wtv that means) and the other one is on Gmail. The only thing I saw is that accessories for Playbooks are much more expensive I would have loved to buy a keyboard/case for it but it's too expensive.
    The only android tablet I'd buy would be the Nexus 7 as it's a Google product so updates for it would be released as soon as Google is done with them (as opposed to anything that is carrier locked/designed)
    VPN is supported, but with caveats... as in, there exists an official list of hardware/software that the Playbook's VPN function will work properly with. Trying to use it with anything else is going to be hit or miss.

As for your wanting to video chat between Playbooks and anything else.. I know of 3 easy options, and all are Flash/web-based, so they work with anything Flash-enabled and with a mic/cam. In order of simplicity: AV by AOL, Reelportal, and Faceflow.

There are a few other web-based options that have worked in the past, but currently don't work (for me at least) anymore... they will probably work again once the Playbook's Flash version is upgraded to current (and that's not something that you can do yourself.. it's up to RIM, unfortunately).
    Last edited by BennyX; 09-20-12 at 12:56 AM.
    09-20-12 12:49 AM
    I bought it and I love it
    09-27-12 04:54 PM
    I bought it and I love it

Gratz!

Welcome
    09-28-12 01:54 PM
    Op you should look at these features that are coming soon with the 2.1 update
    09-30-12 09:49 PM
    The mail application on the playbook is brutally slow to load and use. It is night and day compared to the mail app on your phone or on other tablets. I gave up on using it entirely shortly after 2.0 came out and if I have to check mail on my Playbook now I use the browser to access webmail.
    I don't find it to open horribly slow, but it is slow enough that I tend to keep it open at all times. The only problem with that is that it uses memory it seems while open. Contacts and Calendar are also pretty slow to open, at least I find.
    10-01-12 01:34 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD