I'm just asking since i always believed that the next official OS for the PB will be BB10, but you guys made me expect

So, after 3 days o BB JAM, no anouncements,right?
    09-27-12 05:32 PM
    2.1 will be released. There havent been any new builds since 2.1.0.1012. 2.1.0.1012 was the RC build. If they dont have to run a new build, then 2.1.0 should be coming out very soon.
    jonty12 likes this.
    09-27-12 05:44 PM
    We needed ANOTHER F'N THREAD?
    09-27-12 05:52 PM
    I'm just asking since i always believed that the next official OS for the PB will be BB10, but you guys made me expect

So, after 3 days o BB JAM, no anouncements,right?
    RIM's got a lot of downloads already between the Dev Alpha update and the SDK updates for developers. Let them sort through those first.

I'll be REALLY surprised if we don't see it next Tuesday.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    09-27-12 07:28 PM
    Amazing....Simply AMAZING
    currygoat likes this.
    09-27-12 07:29 PM
    Clewley said they been busy with BB Jam and that they didn't forget 2.1 I'm with Thunderbuck on this one
    madman0141 and ClassyBOLD like this.
    09-27-12 07:33 PM
    Here's a screen cap of the tweet BB-Bmore is referring to.
    Last edited by stewartj1; 09-27-12 at 09:51 PM.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-27-12 08:04 PM
    I think it's clear from the focus at BB Jam that they are razor focused on BB10 delivery. I would love a PB update but I think I am more interested in RIM delivering a rock solid BB10 phone at this point. I too was a bit disappointed with almost no mention of the PlayBook but when I sat back I realized they are really slimming down and focusing on a quality product.
    Stewartj1 and bluetroll like this.
    09-27-12 08:08 PM
    I think it's clear from the focus at BB Jam that they are razor focused on BB10 delivery. I would love a PB update but I think I am more interested in RIM delivering a rock solid BB10 phone at this point. I too was a bit disappointed with almost no mention of the PlayBook but when I sat back I realized they are really slimming down and focusing on a quality product.
    So RIM can only do one thing at a time. That an embarrassing admission.

There's this new thing called multi tasking. Naa, thats being silly.
    09-27-12 08:28 PM

I agree, good thing their new phones can multi-task because apparently they can't!
    09-27-12 09:10 PM
    There was no release date for 2.1. Also 2.1 is a hold over for BB10, so priorities are on BB10. You can download the Beta version of 2.1 if you really want right now (thats what I did when it first came out, and I am very happy with it).

They released 2.0 and 2.1 beta, so they apparently are multitasking. I think your more upset about how much resources they are putting into each project. Like I said, 2.1 is a hold over to BB10, so to me it makes sense that the resources are mostly on BB10. Once this multi platform BlackBerry OS is completed they can roll it out.
    09-27-12 09:52 PM

Creating a 100% new OS from the ground up in only a couple of years is a monumental task. It's orders of magnitude more difficult than just creating the latest iteration of a pre-existing OS.

It's not nearly as simple as you seem to think.
    09-27-12 10:00 PM

They are in a survival mode and conserving cash to put towards Bb10 launch. So yes, priority is not PlayBook right now. They should be embarrassed about the shape they got themselves into. Did you listen or read the conference call today?
    09-27-12 10:46 PM
    I cannot imagine what will happen when BB10 phones are released. Everybody will be creating threads for "when is BB10 coming to PB" and unfortunately I think it will take a loooong time after the phones are released before it comes to PB. Hopefully someone can figure out how to put the BB10 phone build on PB so PB owners (myself included) can get by until the official release.
    09-27-12 11:38 PM
    I don't understand why pb won't be able to get bb10 at the same time when phone is released.
    Is it a big thing for RIM?
    Kowal likes this.
    09-28-12 12:43 AM
    Creating a 100% new OS from the ground up in only a couple of years is a monumental task. It's orders of magnitude more difficult than just creating the latest iteration of a pre-existing OS.

It's not nearly as simple as you seem to think.
    This. It amazes me how many people fail to realize this concept. Especially considering that iOS and Android were in development for over 3 years before they were released and that was in that original form not including the 4+ years of refinements. RIM is going from 0 to where iOS and Android have come in over 7 years of development and has so far taken only 2.5 years to do it. Of course, RIM put itself in this position, but my point is it's doing a hellva lot to right the ship in short time.
    09-28-12 01:10 AM
    because they will be focused on optimizing the UI for 4.2" screen and 1280x720 resolution. After that they will need to focused on the smaller screen qwerty 720x720 resolution and making sure OS, apps and games are optimized for that size/resolution. Lastly, they will focus on making the OS optimized for PB. Keeping in mind that it will be mostly for playbooks that are already sold and they won't be making money by fixing/upgrading PB while they are depending on making money on the phones. Not sure how much difference it will make in terms of new PB sales even if it is running BB10, since review/verdict is already out for the old PB OS.
    09-28-12 01:12 AM
    Because its the phones that will be their bread and butter. They can't survive on the PB alone. BB10 is suppose to be the renaissance of RIM. If the devices aren't top notch, we won't have to worry about BB10 on the pb cause that just may be the fat lady singing. We should all just be patient. I know a lot of our patience has already worn out, but good things come to those who wait. To me, 2.1 isn't a priority. BB10 is.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    09-28-12 01:13 AM
    I don't understand why pb won't be able to get bb10 at the same time when phone is released.
    Is it a big thing for RIM?
    It's likely a strategic decision, designed to make it more likely that current owners will buy the new phones. Also, they'll probably laser focusing their energy on getting the product out on-time and captivating the public. The launch of the new phones will make or break RIM and they only get once chance. this needs to be top priority for the time-being. Some time after launch and after any kinks in the launch OS have been worked out, RIM will port BB10 onto Playbook.
    09-28-12 01:16 AM
    I honestly think that there won't be a huge wait for the PlayBook. RIM is still invested in it, they recently released the 4G model. RIM understands that people want an ecosystem with apps/abilities that can cross into each device (Google, Apple, and soon MS will all have one mobile OS for each of their platforms). RIM also knows that tablets are not a fade that will just go away and if you love the phone you will probably by the tablet with the same OS and vise versa.

There are 3 screen types right now and 2 (the phone types) will be standardized by RIM. The PlayBook came out before they decided to standardize the screens. The Full Touch at 1280 x 720 (16:9), the Keyboard at 720 x720 (1:1), and the Playbook which I believe is 1024 x 600. For full disclosure, it is 3am and I am tired, but quickly looking at the proportion on PhotoShop, there isn't a huge difference in resizing the PlayBook and the Full Touch phone. I am just talking about space wise. The Full Touch will be a bit longer (landscape) than the PlayBook size, but visually taking into account the bottom bar of the BB10 phone with search and stuff, it should be decently close.

The OS should be able to account for the sizes the app and OS needs to fit and format it accordingly (so it can make fonts/graphics/buttons bigger and spaced correctly). They seemingly are focusing on the phones, but they haven't washed their hands of the Tablets (again, 4g models just released), and I think that they will probably push out BB10 for PB within a month or 2 after the release of the phone. There will be some tweaks to the screen format and OS tweaks, but it shouldn't be too difficult or time consuming for them. If anything, they may hold off to see how well BB10 is received. If they can figure out marketing and get the phones in the hands of the right known people, I think it will be very well received.
    09-28-12 02:56 AM
    We needed ANOTHER F'N THREAD?

Anti, this one is different!

It's pos-BB Jam eheh

09-28-12 03:09 AM
    I have similar opinion to BerryClever that it won't be too far behind, principally as part of where RIM seem to be going is a well integrated phone and tablet system.

Having a lot of tablets out there should encourage phone take up and vice versa plus I do thing that updated versions of the tab will come out so bb10 will need to be converted at some point. It might actually be cost saving from the perspective of one less OS to offer customer support for.

I don't think it will come to PB immediately but once the rush of dealing with a phone roll out, new bug fixes etc, expect it then.

P.S. Before someone gets carried away - above based on opinion only!!!!!!
    09-28-12 03:16 AM
    I'm not sure I believe all the stuff about BB10 - it is like smoke and mirrors, always previewing and showing features and very little real actually done. Hopefully I'm wrong but they behave like they're waiting for a takeover.
    09-28-12 03:28 AM
    2.1 will be released Saturday. A homeless guy told me said he new someone who worked in Canada.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    09-28-12 05:09 AM
    2.1 will be released Saturday. A homeless guy told me said he new someone who worked in Canada.
    ssssshhhhh - I told you not to tell them!! And I didn't say I knew s.b. worked in Canada, but that I heard there's some people working in Canada at the Niagara Rim.

So, sorry for OT. But the thread question is quite unanswerable.

Ray
    madman0141 likes this.
    09-28-12 07:58 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD